OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7891, 7892, 7893 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Hearing Zach LaVine might go to Dallas

I got one better... I heard Giannis is interested in Dallas because of the no state income tax. He likes BBQ and he can get a lot of land for 1/100th the cost of Los Angeles.

Same. I think it was after he said restaurants in L.A. were too expensive.
πŸ’œπŸ’› πŸ† πŸ‘€ πŸ– #18!!!

Last edited by epic_ on Sat May 28, 2022 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I got one better... I heard Giannis is interested in Dallas because of the no state income tax. He likes BBQ and he can get a lot of land for 1/100th the cost of Los Angeles.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That's not the point. Ming's right about this from a fan perspective. I don't know that the Laker front office is actually thinking this way, but a lot of people on this board seem to be.

Broadly speaking, the front office can choose one of two paths. They can keep trying to extend the Lebron window and hope to win another title now. Or they can accept that the window is likely closed and begin transitioning to the next phase. There are a lot of variations and scenarios within those paths, but this is the fundamental choice. I think they'll take the first path, but we shall see.

To me, it seems unlikely that the Lakers would immediately transition to the next phrase.

I think they will start the season looking to contend with Lebron, AD, and Westbrook (assuming he's not traded). People will debate whether that's right choice, but I'd be shocked if the Lakers go another way between now and the start of the season.

The question is what happens if the team looks like a train wreck after 20 or 30 games.

Sure, but the first question is this: Are we going to offer Lebron an extension? The other stuff is just details. If we aren't going to extend his contract, then we're sending signals to everyone that we're going to blow it up next summer.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Hearing I am about to have couple of beers and steak πŸ˜‚
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

thank you so much for sharing all your inside info with us. it is very much appreciated.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

thank you so much for sharing all your inside info with us. it is very much appreciated.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/267145/Mavericks-Could-Pursue-Zach-LaVine-Via-Sign-And-Trade
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Prediction: Russ is with us opening day. Lebron has long stretches of knee pain and sits a ton. AD plays much more. Russ and Lebron expire. AD is traded. Rebuild only delayed a year.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/267145/Mavericks-Could-Pursue-Zach-LaVine-Via-Sign-And-Trade

That flew over your head didn’t it?
wongst288
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject:

This following made up trade somehow passes the realgm trade checker.. Which team says no to this??

Lakers trade:
Russ back to Washington
THT to Brooklyn
Nunn to Brooklyn
2027 1st round pick to Washington
2029 1st round pick to Washington

Brooklyn:
Kyrie Irving to Lakers
Ben Simmons to Lakers
Cam Thomas to Washington
2023 Philly 1st round pick to Washington
2025 1st round pick to Washington

Washington:
Bradley Beal sign and trade to Brooklyn
KCP to Brooklyn

Washington gets 4 1st round picks and Cam Thomas for Bradley Beal.
Brooklyn get Bradley Beal for Kyrie Irving and Ben Simmons
Lakers get Kyrie Irving and Ben Simmons
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject:

wongst288 wrote:
This following made up trade somehow passes the realgm trade checker.. Which team says no to this??

Lakers trade:
Russ back to Washington
THT to Brooklyn
Nunn to Brooklyn

Brooklyn:
Kyrie Irving to Lakers
Ben Simmons to Lakers
Cam Thomas to Washington

Washington:
KCP to Brooklyn

Why would the Lakers want a psychological problem in Ben Simmons? Keep Ben Simmons as far away as possible. Honestly I feel sorry for him having such physical gifts and not have the brain to use them properly.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Washington is giving Beal $250 million.
It doesn't sound like they are going to trade him.

Last edited by epic_ on Sat May 28, 2022 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That's not the point. Ming's right about this from a fan perspective. I don't know that the Laker front office is actually thinking this way, but a lot of people on this board seem to be.

Broadly speaking, the front office can choose one of two paths. They can keep trying to extend the Lebron window and hope to win another title now. Or they can accept that the window is likely closed and begin transitioning to the next phase. There are a lot of variations and scenarios within those paths, but this is the fundamental choice. I think they'll take the first path, but we shall see.

To me, it seems unlikely that the Lakers would immediately transition to the next phrase.

I think they will start the season looking to contend with Lebron, AD, and Westbrook (assuming he's not traded). People will debate whether that's right choice, but I'd be shocked if the Lakers go another way between now and the start of the season.

The question is what happens if the team looks like a train wreck after 20 or 30 games.

Sure, but the first question is this: Are we going to offer Lebron an extension? The other stuff is just details. If we aren't going to extend his contract, then we're sending signals to everyone that we're going to blow it up next summer.

The first question is whether Lebron wants an extension. It wouldn't surprise me to see both Lebron and the Lakers wait on the extension issue until they see how the season plays out.
wongst288
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Washington giving Beal $250 million.
It different sound like they are going to trade him.

It is all about "what ifs". What if Bradley Beal says, I don't want to sign.. Send me to Brooklyn..

Stumpy25 wrote:
Why would the Lakers want a psychological problem in Ben Simmons? Keep Ben Simmons as far away as possible. Honestly I feel sorry for him having such physical gifts and not have the brain to use them properly.

What else can we expect in a Westbrook trade? We have take a chance with a player that has a chance of bouncing back.. Basically swing for the fences.. It is either this or we stand pat and run it back again with Russ, Lebron, AD and a bunch of minimum contracts...
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
wongst288 wrote:

Lakers trade:
Russ back to Washington
THT to Brooklyn
Nunn to Brooklyn

Brooklyn:
Kyrie Irving to Lakers
Ben Simmons to Lakers
Cam Thomas to Washington

Washington:
KCP to Brooklyn

so we are getting Kyrie and Simmons for Brick?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The first question is whether Lebron wants an extension. It wouldn't surprise me to see both Lebron and the Lakers wait on the extension issue until they see how the season plays out.

I don't think that's a real option. It could be portrayed that way to us in the media, but the front office will need to make a decision sooner rather than later. In fact, there's a good chance that the decision has already been made.

If they decide not to offer an extension, it informs all the decisions that will be made this summer. It means that we're going to blow it up (the second path), so we're not going to expend more assets just to preserve the Lebron window.

If they decide to offer an extension, and Lebron says he wants to wait, that also informs all of the decisions that will be made this summer. A prudent front office would assume that this means that Lebron is going to leave or retire. It would be time to start blowing it up, or at least resisting calls to expend more assets. If the front office resists that assumption, then it has chosen the first path.

I acknowledge the possibility that the front office will try to take a wait and see attitude toward Lebron. They might really be that dumb. But this really commits us to the first path in a particularly negative way. In fact, it actually puts Lebron in charge of the outcome. Lebron and Rich Paul would tell Pelinka that he needs to do X, Y, and Z if he wants Lebron to think about staying. Otherwise, we would hit the summer of 2023 with a bunch of cap space, but with no top-level free agents to sign and with limited draft assets. If the front office doesn't have a plan for what it wants to do with Lebron, a plan will be provided to the front office . . . by Lebron. Ask Dan Gilbert about this.

Short version of what I just said: Letting Lebron go through next season with an expiring contract would be a really bad idea unless we've decided to blow it up and start a rebuild right now. Trying to sit on the fence just gives all of the power to Lebron.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject:

wongst288 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Washington is giving Beal $250 million.
It doesn't sound like they are going to trade him.

It is all about "what ifs". What if Bradley Beal says, I don't want to sign.. Send me to Brooklyn..

In March the Washington Post wrote:
Quote:
Beal said he is leaning toward re-signing with the Wizards this offseason...

But yes, it's a what if. The other rumor is that Miami would love to have Beal. So who knows. I'm leading towards Beal just re-signing with the Wizards.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject:

wongst288 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Washington giving Beal $250 million.
It different sound like they are going to trade him.

Why involve the Lakers?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I don't think that's a real option. It could be portrayed that way to us in the media, but the front office will need to make a decision sooner rather than later. In fact, there's a good chance that the decision has already been made.

If they decide not to offer an extension, it informs all the decisions that will be made this summer. It means that we're going to blow it up (the second path), so we're not going to expend more assets just to preserve the Lebron window.

If they decide to offer an extension, and Lebron says he wants to wait, that also informs all of the decisions that will be made this summer. A prudent front office would assume that this means that Lebron is going to leave or retire. It would be time to start blowing it up, or at least resisting calls to expend more assets. If the front office resists that assumption, then it has chosen the first path.

I acknowledge the possibility that the front office will try to take a wait and see attitude toward Lebron. They might really be that dumb. But this really commits us to the first path in a particularly negative way. In fact, it actually puts Lebron in charge of the outcome. Lebron and Rich Paul would tell Pelinka that he needs to do X, Y, and Z if he wants Lebron to think about staying. Otherwise, we would hit the summer of 2023 with a bunch of cap space, but with no top-level free agents to sign and with limited draft assets. If the front office doesn't have a plan for what it wants to do with Lebron, a plan will be provided to the front office . . . by Lebron. Ask Dan Gilbert about this.

Short version of what I just said: Letting Lebron go through next season with an expiring contract would be a really bad idea unless we've decided to blow it up and start a rebuild right now. Trying to sit on the fence just gives all of the power to Lebron.

The extension is a key tipping point for me.

If they are not planning on the extension then what is the point in keeping him for the year and he walks for nothing next year. Trade him when he still has some value for the Lakers.

There is also the amount and years on the extension to consider. Maxed out for appearances or a reasonable amount for an older one way player? For a season or 2-3 yrs?

Lakers and James both benefitted from this partnership. Maybe it is in everyone’s best interest to move on from it. I understand he is Lebron F’n James and he sells tickets. But his legacy is not going to win games or start the rebuild.

Time for the FO to start thinking of Laker interests first.
BLF2145
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
wongst288 wrote:

Lakers trade:
Russ back to Washington
THT to Brooklyn
Nunn to Brooklyn

Brooklyn:
Kyrie Irving to Lakers
Ben Simmons to Lakers
Cam Thomas to Washington

Washington:
KCP to Brooklyn

I know we are going to see a lot of insanely dumb ass trade scenarios this summer thrown out and a ton of β€œthis guy might take less $$$ to play with LBJ” which of course they then sign for way more $$$ the next day somewhere else. But man, holy hell, reading through this thread each day proves over and over again how insanely little many β€œfans” actually know or understand about the NBA
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject:

BLF2145 wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
wongst288 wrote:

Lakers trade:
Russ back to Washington
THT to Brooklyn
Nunn to Brooklyn

Brooklyn:
Kyrie Irving to Lakers
Ben Simmons to Lakers
Cam Thomas to Washington

Washington:
KCP to Brooklyn

I know we are going to see a lot of insanely dumb ass trade scenarios this summer thrown out and a ton of β€œthis guy might take less $$$ to play with LBJ” which of course they then sign for way more $$$ the next day somewhere else. But man, holy hell, reading through this thread each day proves over and over again how insanely little many β€œfans” actually know or understand about the NBA

Yes the summer after a disappointing season is always unbearable with trade scenarios lol. I believe some are overreacting to the season. My worries isn’t much about fit and more focused on AD health. What. An be done about that?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
If they are not planning on the extension then what is the point in keeping him for the year and he walks for nothing next year. Trade him when he still has some value for the Lakers.

There is also the amount and years on the extension to consider. Maxed out for appearances or a reasonable amount for an older one way player? For a season or 2-3 yrs?

There is commercial value in keeping him around to break the scoring record. The NBA is an entertainment product, so I'll never underestimate the practical importance of something like that. Keeping him for commercial purposes is not inconsistent with starting the rebuild. Heck, we just did that with Kobe.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject:

GM malpractice to throw so many unprotected swaps as part of the trade. Doing so completely makes things unpredictable. Never understood why Rob had to give up so much more on things like the 2023 swap and strange 2024 or 25 choice to the Pels.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GM malpractice to throw so many unprotected swaps as part of the trade. Doing so completely makes things unpredictable. Never understood why Rob had to give up so much more on things like the 2023 swap and strange 2024 or 25 choice to the Pels.

Rob is an ex agent with 0 gm skills. He is Jeanie's yes man and klutch's errand boy.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

We lost all of our leverage when Magic (or Pelinka) offered the kitchen sink at the trade deadline. The Pelicans knew that we had no choice but to make the deal, so they took everything we had. Here's a report at the time:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson wants the New Orleans Pelicans to start offering counter proposals to offers on All-Star Anthony Davis, threatening to end talks unless the Pelicans show a willingness to engage in a back-and-forth on reaching a deal, league sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

The Lakers on Monday night added two more young players -- Josh Hart and Ivica Zubac -- to a trade package that already included Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball and two first-round picks, sources said.

https://abc7.com/sports/lakers-waiting-for-counteroffer-from-pelicans-in-anthony-davis-trade-talks/5122129/
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject:

When we got up to the 4th pick I thought we had a sweetened deal compared to the previous trade deadline. How we didn’t push harder to keep some assets based on that new occurrence is sad. We were projected to have an 11th pick that year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7891, 7892, 7893 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7892 of 8560
Jump to: