OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8229, 8230, 8231 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure beggars can be choosers or that we're in position to demand positive assets like Curry, Royce, or Claxton. I think the consensus is that Kyrie has more value than Russ so it will be some combination of us taking on a negative asset like Harris and/or including positive assets (our picks). I also think the sentiment is that we need to get rid of Russ more than the Nets need to get rid of Kyrie as they're more likely to stomach a waive-and-stretch.

Despite his defense, Harris could definitely be a positive on the court. Let's not forget that he has averaged over 45% from beyond the arc over the past 4 seasons. If he can shake the Laker shooter curse he absolutely would be a tradeable asset next summer should they decide to blow it up and Jeannie wants to dodge the repeater tax.

Whether it's now or later, they just need to continue to scour the league for a THT/Nunn ± Walker deal to get that elusive 2-way wing to complete a closing lineup. I just can't see a role for all 3 of them with Austin and one of RW/Kyrie on board.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
What u guys think so far?
Solid?

Has potential to really work, but need to get trades done to round it out. Namely moving on Westbrook and THT. Relying on the growth of a few players, too
#18 next...
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:
Trading away more first round picks for Kyrie who is on a one year deal.

Kyrie and Lebron can both walk next year when their contracts are up. We could essentially be left with nothing and no draft picks. Is Kyrie really someone you want to gamble the future with?

We only owe one pick to NOP, and if we can get Kyrie, it is likely we resign him. If we stick with WB, we are wasting lebron’s last years

If they leave, we’re only down two draft picks separated by 2-3 years (2024 or 2025, hypothetically 2027), would open up cap space with a fairly clear ledger going forward, and still have AD. Hardly a world ending scenario. And in that scenario, Rob would probably also be fired and you would have a new GM free from Klutch’s influence. The rest of this decade is really not the nightmare many have been pitching.
Big Shot Bob
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject:

I’ll predict the below…
1. Russell Westbrook, Stanley Johnson, 2027 FRP, two second round picks for Kyrie Irving, Joe Harris
2. Talen Horton-Tucker, $4m cash, maybe another pick for Richaun Holmes

Kyrie Irving…Kendrick Nunn
Austin Reaves…Lonnie Walker IV…Max Christie
LeBron James…Joe Harris…Troy Brown
Anthony Davis…Juan Toscano-Anderson…Wenyen Gabriel
Richaun Holmes…Damian Jones

Last edited by Big Shot Bob on Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
C: Jones
PF: AD, Gabriel, Stanley
SF: LeBron, Brown Jr, Tuscano-Andrson
SG: Reaves, Walker, THT, Christie
PG: Westbrook, Nunn

Not exactly the most balanced roster (and not sure JTA and Brown are SF's) but hoping for that Kyrie deal that would really help make the rest of that make sense.

Trading THT seems like a no brainer if a deal can be found.

Yeah it seems like they moved on from undersized guards to normal-sized guards/undersized wings.

We desperately need better wings. I realize that none were available/interested at our price point though so maybe they've decided pursuing a trade is the way to go.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
I'm not sure beggars can be choosers or that we're in position to demand positive assets like Curry, Royce, or Claxton. I think the consensus is that Kyrie has more value than Russ so it will be some combination of us taking on a negative asset like Harris and/or including positive assets (our picks). I also think the sentiment is that we need to get rid of Russ more than the Nets need to get rid of Kyrie as they're more likely to stomach a waive-and-stretch.

Despite his defense, Harris could definitely be a positive on the court. Let's not forget that he has averaged over 45% from beyond the arc over the past 4 seasons. If he can shake the Laker shooter curse he absolutely would be a tradeable asset next summer should they decide to blow it up and Jeannie wants to dodge the repeater tax.

Whether it's now or later, they just need to continue to scour the league for a THT/Nunn ± Walker deal to get that elusive 2-way wing to complete a closing lineup. I just can't see a role for all 3 of them with Austin and one of RW/Kyrie on board.

I agree with your Harris stuff. We really have no guys that play 2 through 5, who you’d classify as a ‘reliable shooter’ in the league. Adding a Harris would at least give us someone we know is capable of knocking down shots at a high clip, no matter what. Won’t be hot and cold like a Walker type could potentially be, either

I fear that, in order to grab that two-way wing, we’ll have to trade one of Reaves or Christie alongside THT and/or Nunn. If we do they Kyrie deal and give away our available firsts, then they’ll be our only source of real value (that is, unless THT takes a huge jump). I also don’t think that type of trade would happen until mid-season
#18 next...
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Solid?

Potentially the worst shooting team in the NBA. Took a team that was a spacing nightmare with Russ already and that managed to make it even worse.

Defensively? Not sure.

Very strange that we spent our MLE on a guy who is bad on both offense and defense.

Last edited by pjiddy on Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject:

I'm rooting for THT too especially since Kyrie would fit alongside much better than Russ did but you can't change the fact that he's only 6-4. We have absolutely nobody that we can put on Tatum or that Clipper duo.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Hoop Central
@TheHoopCentral

Notable remaining Free Agents:

Harden
Zach Lavine
Ayton
Miles Bridges
Collin Sexton
Mitchell Robinson
Jusuf Nurkic
TJ Warren
Melo
Kevon Looney
Donte DiVincenzo
DeMarcus Cousins
Dennis Schroder
Blake Griffin
Otto Porter
Gary Payton
Montrezl Harrell
Thomas Bryant
Bruce Brown

eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Imagine all the salty people if Kyrie actually helped the Lakers win a championship. Kyrie might be the most hated player in the NBA. He gets booed by every team he leaves. Everyone would be so p'off.

BTW this scene is basically us.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Solid?

Potentially the worst shooting team in the NBA. Took a team that was a spacing nightmare with Russ already and that managed to make it even worse.

Defensively? Not sure.

Very strange that we spent our MLE on a guy who is bad on both offense and defense.

I liked every signing but the MLE, lol. Damian Jones gives you a decent starter to play the token center minutes that AD doesn’t want to/can’t. Brown can be a half-decent 3 and D type off the bench that probably already exceeds most of the guys we had for that role in the last two seasons (not saying much). And JTA is a good swing on a dude that did a bit of everything on both ends in 2020-21, but fell out of the rotation this past year. At worst, he gives us some more two-way upside that guys like Melo, Ariza, and Baze just didn’t have.

I didn’t like the Walker signing at all. The only explanation is that the scouting
department really liked him coming out and maybe they think Handy/Jent + playing next to Bron/AD can “fix” him. The athletic profile/upside is there, at least. The flip side is that I haven’t seen any other guys go to other teams (yet) at that price that would’ve even been in the picture for us.

Overall, it does seem like these moves were made for a team without Westbrook (and maybe THT and/or Nunn) and with Kyrie, so we’ll see what happens with potential trades the rest of the summer. If this is it, then it’s probably a B-/C+ off-season, 45-47ish wins with full health, another (bleep) of a season if AD/Bron miss significant time.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Big Shot Bob wrote:
I’ll predict the below…
1. Russell Westbrook, Stanley Johnson, 2027 FRP, two second round picks for Kyrie Irving, Joe Harris
2. Talen Horton-Tucker, $4m cash, maybe another pick for Richaun Holmes

Kyrie Irving…Kendrick Nunn
Austin Reaves…Lonnie Walker IV…Max Christie
LeBron James…Joe Harris…Troy Brown
Anthony Davis…Juan Toscano-Anderson…Wenyen Gabriel
Richaun Holmes…Damian Jones

I’m a fan, but I’d give Wenyen instead of Stanley in the first deal. Think it’s really just a player matching thing, and SJ is of more use to us IMO

What pick would SAC want for Holmes in that deal? I find it hard to gauge his value
#18 next...
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject:

Per Boby Marks, you cannot have two players who were signed using the designated player exception on your roster at the same time who were traded to your team. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PE-xsrQr1B4

According to this article, that exception was used to sign Russ to his current deal. https://thunderousintentions.com/2017/05/19/russell-westbrook-joins-exclusive-4-member-designated-player-exception-club/

That means the Nets cannot trade for Westbrook with Ben Simmons on their roster.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Per Boby Marks, you cannot have two players who were signed using the designated player exception on your roster at the same time who were traded to your team. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PE-xsrQr1B4

According to this article, that exception was used to sign Russ to his current deal. https://thunderousintentions.com/2017/05/19/russell-westbrook-joins-exclusive-4-member-designated-player-exception-club/

That means the Nets cannot trade for Westbrook with Ben Simmons on their roster.

Designated rookie extension. Westbrook's way past that, and could be signed to the Nets for Kyrie while Simmons is on the roster.

Designated rookie extension players are players like Andrew Wiggins, Bam Adebayo, Luka, SGA, Donovan Mitchell, Trae Young, etc etc etc. Aka People that are 5-6 years into the league or sooner or were extended off their rookie contracts.

Russell Westbook is in year 14. Year 15 starting next year. He's way past his rookie max extension.

Last edited by MJST on Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:33 am; edited 3 times in total
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

Good call on that LF, but I believe Russ (designated vet contract) is eligible to be on the same roster as Ben (designated rookie contract) since both are of differing designations on their current deals.

Per Coon’s FAQ:
Quote:
There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time. However, only one designated rookie may have been acquired from another team in a trade.

The reason Bam can’t hit the books w/Ben is cause both designated rookie deals would have been traded to the Nets, with BK not designated one of those dudes themselves.

It’s the same reason Ky & AD couldn’t hit the cbags books at the same time, way back when.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
@LakerFiles
Lakers are currently negotiating a trade for Kyrie Irving involving “Russell Westbrook, a first-round pick and a pick swap with maybe another player involved, maybe Joe Harris.”

(@Gambo987)

Quote:
@TopBallCoverage The Lakers package for Kyrie Irving likely is Russell Westbrook, a first round pick and a pick swap, per
@Gambo987

LA will also receive a player like Joe Harris in return.

Same guy that broke the Nash to Lakers news 10 years ago.

The Lakers moving Westbrook + 2027 First Round Pick(or another future one) for Kyrie and Joe Harris. I'd rather not attach the pick but you gotta do what you gotta do.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Talks about trading for All-Star guard Kyrie Irving reignited Thursday, according to sources familiar with the matter not authorized to speak publicly. Irving opted into the final year of his deal Monday.

The Lakers, despite some initial speculation, are not seen as a viable destination for Durant, who is sure to command a massive trade package.

Durant’s desire to leave gave the Lakers a second chance to acquire Irving, a seven-time All-Star, with the team’s two biggest stars in favor of the move. LeBron James has already won with Irving in Cleveland, and Anthony Davis, a tight James ally, is supportive, according to people familiar with the situation.

The Lakers, though, need to weigh what they consider is appropriate compensation for a player in the final year of a contract with reliability and durability issues. The team previously balked at adding future first-round draft picks in Irving discussions, and without much league-wide interest in Irving, it’s hard to know what his actual value is and how urgent the Lakers need to act.

It’s also unknown if and how the Lakers could pursue a third team to aid in the transaction should Brooklyn prefer not to acquire Westbrook.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2022-06-30/lakers-malik-monk-agrees-deal-sacramento-kings-nba-free-agency

Quote:
Beck: I asked a well-connected NBA source which teams, other than the increasingly desperate Lakers, would be willing to acquire Irving. His answer: “None.” I think I agree. The league has seen Irving wreak a lot of havoc over the last five years, from Cleveland to Boston to Brooklyn. It’s left an impression. But the Lakers badly need another scorer/playmaker next to LeBron and AD, and Irving is an infinitely better fit than Russell Westbrook. – via SI Staff @ Sports Illustrated

Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:56 am    Post subject:

Im attaching the pick for kyrie in a heart beat. 1 FRP to offload Russ AND lock in Kyrie, most likely to 4 year extension as well is the best value that FRP can ever bring in

We paid thru the nose for AD, now is not the time to be frugal with the picks. I hope 1 FRP isn't holding the deal up
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:06 am    Post subject:

As much as I would love to have a fully committed-to-basketball Irving on the Lakers, I refuse to believe that we will actually acquire him this summer.

It just seems too good to be true that we will not only undo the Westbrook trade, but we'll also get a player who is much better than him who will also solve some of our problems, is arguably the best closer in the game, who has proven he can play well with LeBron, has won a world championship and isn't old.

If no other team will try to trade for Irving, the Lakers better not bid against themselves, and they better instead try to exploit the Nets' situation.

I guess we've done things that seemed too good to be true before though.
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:08 am    Post subject:

We're the Lakers, our entire history and existence is too good to be true.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:51 am    Post subject:

I hate the Walker signing but someone (sorry I forgot who it was) made sense in saying he is only signed for one year and we did not want to give a multiple year contract. That criteria (if true) clearly hampered our ability to fill that spot with the best player possible.

Hopefully Rob doesn't give up picks if we do get Kyrie (I personally think its 50-50 at best). Stand firm because even with Kyrie, we are more than likely (not being a downer) not going very far with this team. Hopefully there were lessons leaned when bidding among ourselves.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:53 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
I hate the Walker signing but someone (sorry I forgot who it was) made sense in saying he is only signed for one year and we did not want to give a multiple year contract. That criteria (if true) clearly hampered our ability to fill that spot with the best player possible.

Hopefully Rob doesn't give up picks if we do get Kyrie (I personally think its 50-50 at best). Stand firm because even with Kyrie, we are more than likely (not being a downer) not going very far with this team. Hopefully there were lessons leaned when bidding among ourselves.

When walker balls out this year some of us are gonna be keeping receipts
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:54 am    Post subject:

Can we take a moment to say what a bum miles bridges is given his wife's recent statements?

Fumbling the bag might be putting it kindly.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:59 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

When walker balls out this year some of us are gonna be keeping receipts

Good. I HOPE you can break everyones balls. It is not like that and I hope I am very wrong.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:59 am    Post subject:

Most of NBA pundits seem to think other teams won't go for Kyrie due to his drama with Celtics, Nets and they think he will be a one year rental. Only Lakers seem genuinely interested. I hope we get him because Westbrook is such a terrible fit for Lakers. I'd rather take the gamble on Kyrie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8229, 8230, 8231 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 8230 of 8560
Jump to: