Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA
·
3h
We got word from a Lakers coach:

1) LA has no plans to add an offensively minded coach to the staff.

Wondering why?

2) Vogel & staff feel they cannot properly evaluate and will not evaluate the team’s offensive Xs & Os until the roster is healthy

Ah, we will wait until the season is underway and we've (hopefully) seen a fully healthy roster before we decide whether we need an offensive-minded coach on our staff

https://tenor.com/x6Yl.gif

Missing context or not, we have only added a defensive oriented Fitz, while offensive coaches have all gone elsewhere. I believe Jkidd was our OC and so even his little bit of offensive acumen is now gone.

I guess Bron da point gawd to the rescue again.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA
·
3h
We got word from a Lakers coach:

1) LA has no plans to add an offensively minded coach to the staff.

Wondering why?

2) Vogel & staff feel they cannot properly evaluate and will not evaluate the team’s offensive Xs & Os until the roster is healthy

Ah, we will wait until the season is underway and we've (hopefully) seen a fully healthy roster before we decide whether we need an offensive-minded coach on our staff

https://tenor.com/x6Yl.gif

Missing context or not, we have only added a defensive oriented Fitz, while offensive coaches have all gone elsewhere. I believe Jkidd was our OC and so even his little bit of offensive acumen is now gone.

I guess Bron da point gawd to the rescue again.

Perhaps.
Still waiting to see how the staff shakes out.
If they don't have a top 10 ortg next year, they'll have a lot of explaining to do.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

^^I hope you’re right bro, cause my patience is wearing thin.

As of right now, they rather have a 37 y/o Bron dance to the “tune” of being the exclusive playmaker for our offense at point guard (something he’s never consistently done in his career till he came to LA). #TheLO&OnSquad
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

As of right now, they rather have a 37 y/o Bron dance to the “tune” of being the exclusive playmaker for our offense at point guard (something he’s never consistently done in his career till he came to LA). #TheLO&OnSquad

I'm with you. Need to take some pressure off of Bron in the regular season.

One more thing of note: if Steins tweet about Lakers wanting more of AD and Bron at center and power forward respectively is true, then in the words of IG: that's a game changer!!!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

I'm with you. Need to take some pressure off of Bron in the regular season.

One more thing of note: if Steins tweet about Lakers wanting more of AD and Bron at center and power forward respectively is true, then in the words of IG: that's a game changer!!!

That’s would be huge!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject:

Lakers were up 2-1 on the Suns with a 70 percent Bron, and a couple of misfits around them like Dennis, Trez etc.

Down goes AD and the series is done too.

For sure improvement can be made but it’s not like the Nets won the title. Offense is not the only thing you need. Defense too.

I do think the Lakers realize that AD has to be more of a 5 for them and need more spacing. Good offense can only be ran when you have your stars play with good floor spacing. We had that in the championship run, but last year it was a lot of misfits and inconsistencies due to the health of AD.

Hopefully we get some health and better shot makers on the team next year. Offense will always boil down to going through Bron and AD on this team. If we re-sign Dennis I hope he changes his attitude and the team utilizes him a lot better, and we consider finding a starting bigger guard that can switch on bigger players.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject:

we can always try and contain the opponents to less than 50..
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Lakers were up 2-1 on the Suns with a 70 percent Bron, and a couple of misfits around them like Dennis, Trez etc.

Down goes AD and the series is done too.

For sure improvement can be made but it’s not like the Nets won the title. Offense is not the only thing you need. Defense too.

I do think the Lakers realize that AD has to be more of a 5 for them and need more spacing. Good offense can only be ran when you have your stars play with good floor spacing. We had that in the championship run, but last year it was a lot of misfits and inconsistencies due to the health of AD.

Hopefully we get some health and better shot makers on the team next year. Offense will always boil down to going through Bron and AD on this team. If we re-sign Dennis I hope he changes his attitude and the team utilizes him a lot better, and we consider finding a starting bigger guard that can switch on bigger players.

bron said he was 70%?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject:

The coaching landscape is different than what it used to be, and there's a major shift taking place in the NBA right now. The recent hires (Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd, Ime Udoka, Willie Green, Jamahl Mosley, etc) show that player-centric coaches are going to be the norm IMO.

X's and O's are great, but seems like organizations are putting a premium on mentorship and player relations. It's just a different paradigm than before, with less emphasis on basketball acumen. For example, SVG was a damn good coach in terms of strategy, but he failed at player relationships. It's clear the players stopped listening to him at some point in the season (see Knicks game where Bledsoe was instructed to foul but didn't).

I wonder if Vogel is headed in a similar direction. It's concerning that guys like Trezz and Kuz are airing out their grievances in public, when that kind of stuff should be kept in-house. Seems like there's a communication gap they need to address before moving forward.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
The coaching landscape is different than what it used to be, and there's a major shift taking place in the NBA right now. The recent hires (Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd, Ime Udoka, Willie Green, Jamahl Mosley, etc) show that player-centric coaches are going to be the norm IMO.

X's and O's are great, but seems like organizations are putting a premium on mentorship and player relations. It's just a different paradigm than before, with less emphasis on basketball acumen. For example, SVG was a damn good coach in terms of strategy, but he failed at player relationships. It's clear the players stopped listening to him at some point in the season (see Knicks game where Bledsoe was instructed to foul but didn't).

I wonder if Vogel is headed in a similar direction. It's concerning that guys like Trezz and Kuz are airing out their grievances in public, when that kind of stuff should be kept in-house. Seems like there's a communication gap they need to address before moving forward.

Trezz was asked the question on IG & Kuz was asked the question via Shams for an interview. If you lose, players have sour grapes and none of their egos want to accept that they were part of the problem.

I don't put much stock in their comments solely because we have no clue of the five complainers (Gasol, Trez, Drum, Kuz & Scro) which of the five are returning. I certainly don't think it will be all five so I'm not weighing much in their comments. Their focus should be on improving their games because all 5 of them had their flaws at points. For Marc it's less about improving your game and more about getting in better shape.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

Funny how his contract wasn't extended yet. We're entering his last year.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Funny how his contract wasn't extended yet. We're entering his last year.

I think there's plenty of time to work one out before the season starts.
Perhaps there's details on who fills out the staff that need to be hammered out first?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

yeah, but i think all the players loved vogel our championship season... because the front office wasn't telling him how to coach. this year, he had demands of dennis and drummond... and trying to fit the a square peg into a round hole with trez.

vogel has been known to take into account opinions of players. but obviously he's more apt to value bron and AD's opinion than dennis and trez.

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
yeah, but i think all the players loved vogel our championship season... because the front office wasn't telling him how to coach. this year, he had demands of dennis and drummond... and trying to fit the a square peg into a round hole with trez.

vogel has been known to take into account opinions of players. but obviously he's more apt to value bron and AD's opinion than dennis and trez.

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Ds played well. He’s why we made playoffs.

Vogel knows better than anyone here on why, and when he made his decisions. Clearly trezz wasn’t ideal for his schemes so he stopped playing him.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Vogel knows better than anyone here on why, and when he made his decisions. Clearly trezz wasn’t ideal for his schemes so he stopped playing him.

So theres not a chance Vogel was wrong on his decisions?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

So theres not a chance Vogel was wrong on his decisions?

in regards to signing off on trezz? maybe.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/lakersvhaters/status/1416124065731858434?s=21
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/lakersvhaters/status/1416124065731858434?s=21

Nice!
A couple things, I think people like Frank. Which is great. He sounds likeable in interviews imo.

Secondly, it's gonna be interesting seeing the Mavs attempt to play defense at the Lakers level.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jovan Buha
@jovanbuha
Lakers assistant coach Lionel Hollins is no longer with the franchise, sources tell me and
@sam_amick. His contract ended and the sides did not agree to new terms.

I was expecting that.
What's the rest of the staff gonna look like, coach?

Per Emplay:
Quote:
Fizdale & Penberthy - I believe they're on the front of the bench replacing Kidd/Hollins

That's interesting.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Still need an offensive coordinator.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject:

what's the beat on Penberthy's coaching acumen? not just as a shooting coach... but X's and O's?

i mean, he's Laker through and through, but he also has to obviously bring something to the table.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

In the wake of Jason Kidd’s departure to Dallas to serve as the Mavericks’ head coach, Hollins, the former Memphis and Brooklyn head coach, had interest in signing a new deal. But there was frustration with the perceived lack of honest communication from the Lakers with the coaching staff in the process, leading Hollins, who joined Vogel’s staff in 2019, to decide to pursue opportunities elsewhere, sources said.

https://theathletic.com/2734724/2021/07/27/lakers-and-lionel-hollins-part-ways-mike-penberthy-promoted-to-front-of-bench/

Lue already knew what it was. Vogs and his coaching staff learning about it now. Luke & his coaching assts blew up the spot on their way out. Tell me how can there be a communication problem when as a FO you literally handpicked the coach and his staff yourselves?

Kinda explains the signings vs the playing time those “key” signings ended up playing. Also the whole promised starter (bleep)...

So till further notice, Bron’s going to be our OC/LeEngine that could...(but shouldn’t!)
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers Review
@TheLakersReview

“Kidd was also interested in adding Penberthy to his staff, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to SCNG, before he was eventually promoted.”

https://t.co/VvN1iMJVv2?amp=1

Darn you Kidd!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Appreciate Hollins for the 2 years but IIRC he was not in the bubble.

The staple of this team is Vogel’s defensive mentality and Lebrons IQ and play making. The team has to keep building on that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers Review
@TheLakersReview

“Kidd was also interested in adding Penberthy to his staff, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to SCNG, before he was eventually promoted.”

https://t.co/VvN1iMJVv2?amp=1

Darn you Kidd!

Typical backstabber JKidd, couldn’t get Vogel’s job so he tries to take his assistants
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 135 of 224
Jump to: