Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 221, 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject:

Nick Nurse would be better than expected, but why would he leave Toronto and that great organization to come to this mess?
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Vogel and Russ are the two person should not be blamed for this season's failure. not vogel's fault Rambis stuck him with incompetent assistant coaches (maybe it's by design to make Vogel look bad so Kurt Rambis can take over next year?), not Russ' fault he's game not meshing with LeBron and AD. He's the same guy, it's not like all of sudden he regressed so much this year from the past.

he's 33 years old. He's right at the age where hyper athletic pgs with no jumpshot fall off a cliff. Which he did. Was it Kurt Rambis's fault he couldn't make a layup?

If Rambis was vested with the authority and responsibility to make a $45 million call on a player, then he deserves plenty of blame for ignoring the possibility that said athletic-33yo-no-shot-pg may start falling off the cliff.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Steve Bulpett
@SteveBHoop

Juwan Howard's name has been floated as a candidate for the Lakers' coaching job when, as is expected, Frank Vogel is let go. But an L.A. source tells http://Heavy.com that Rajon Rondo could be coming in as an assistant coach should Howard somehow get pried from Michigan.

Quote:
However, Nurse hired Andy Miller of Klutch Sports to represent him in 2020. LeBron James and Anthony Davis are two of Klutch’s biggest clients. Perhaps the Lakers could rely on the Klutch connection to land Nurse, who is one of the best coaches in the NBA. One Eastern Conference executive told Heavy.com’s Sean Deveney that the team could try to see if it’s possible.

“I would expect the Lakers to at least ask about Nick Nurse,” the executive said. “He’s one of the best fairly young coaches in the league and he had the whole blow-up with his agent, Warren [LeGarie] who is one of the most respected guys in the business. But he is screwing Warren over for Klutch, he got the big contract with the Raptors and he is secure there. They’re not going to let him go. But it makes him look better and Klutch look better if they are asking for him, right? So yeah, I would not be surprised to see the Lakers ask about him but more as a favor to Klutch. Maybe they won’t because he is so far out of reach. But, you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours, that is how things work.” – via Austin Boyd @ Heavy.com

If the reports are true that Rambis would come into the locker room and berate Vogel in front of the team, why would any respected coach want to join that kind of disarray? You don't do that no matter how bad things are going. No coach can operate with that cloud over their head because the players have no reason to respect him.

Vogel's roster was flawed (too small to defend opponents), the health of our primaries was terrible this season, and WB was one of the worst Laker pickups in the team's history. Rambis putting most of the blame on the Vogel is horrifically stupid, and doesn't give me confidence in things working out well for the next coach no matter who it is.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Nick Nurse would be better than expected, but why would he leave Toronto and that great organization to come to this mess?

I’d say money would be a big reason. An maybe a chance to come back and Coach in America?

An to be fair bro I think calling Toronto a great organization is a bit of a stretch.
They got one Championship and every other season I’ve known them as the Toronto CRAPtors.

Then you factor in their fan base truly only cares about hockey
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
danzag wrote:

I’d say money would be a big reason. An maybe a chance to come back and Coach in America?

An to be fair bro I think calling Toronto a great organization is a bit of a stretch.
They got one Championship and every other season I’ve known them as the Toronto CRAPtors.

Thought lakers don’t pay and his current squad is better than ours especially next year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
danzag wrote:

The Lakers have one championship and a first round exit to go with all of their lottery seasons under current management so it wouldn’t be any kind of a step up. So it would take a lot of money but current management pleads poverty, so they will likely be shopping at KMart for their next coach.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Steve Bulpett
@SteveBHoop

Juwan Howard's name has been floated as a candidate for the Lakers' coaching job when, as is expected, Frank Vogel is let go. But an L.A. source tells http://Heavy.com that Rajon Rondo could be coming in as an assistant coach should Howard somehow get pried from Michigan.

Quote:
However, Nurse hired Andy Miller of Klutch Sports to represent him in 2020. LeBron James and Anthony Davis are two of Klutch’s biggest clients. Perhaps the Lakers could rely on the Klutch connection to land Nurse, who is one of the best coaches in the NBA. One Eastern Conference executive told Heavy.com’s Sean Deveney that the team could try to see if it’s possible.

“I would expect the Lakers to at least ask about Nick Nurse,” the executive said. “He’s one of the best fairly young coaches in the league and he had the whole blow-up with his agent, Warren [LeGarie] who is one of the most respected guys in the business. But he is screwing Warren over for Klutch, he got the big contract with the Raptors and he is secure there. They’re not going to let him go. But it makes him look better and Klutch look better if they are asking for him, right? So yeah, I would not be surprised to see the Lakers ask about him but more as a favor to Klutch. Maybe they won’t because he is so far out of reach. But, you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours, that is how things work.” – via Austin Boyd @ Heavy.com

If the reports are true that Rambis would come into the locker room and berate Vogel in front of the team, why would any respected coach want to join that kind of disarray? You don't do that no matter how bad things are going. No coach can operate with that cloud over their head because the players have no reason to respect him.

Not even a play-in, so now we gotta lay-in the filth that will continuously come out during this lengthy offseason.

Why do I get the feeling there will be a new Laker exposé released every week this summer. And without further ado, here’s more doo-doo flung our way…

Quote:
The Lakers were several weeks into the season and several miles down their road to perdition. They spoke of hope to the outside world, and, true enough, the wheels hadn’t fully disengaged.

But the players knew.

On this night as the game was in progress, a friend working for another NBA team texted a Laker about getting together afterward. At halftime, something strange happened. The player texted back. The friend was even more stunned when he was told that coach Frank Vogel was standing in front of him.

“I couldn’t believe it. And later when we met up, he said he wasn’t the only motherf***** texting other people,” the employee told Heavy.

“He said it was nothing against Vogel. The players liked Frank and thought he knew what he was doing. They saw him as a good guy and a good basketball guy, but Frank had been marginalized too much. The Rambis component, the LeBron checking out component — it all served to sort of undermine Frank Vogel.”

There was the belief that if the Lakers could get healthy and stay that way long enough, they could work out the issues of their elderly, mismatched roster and ride LeBron James and Anthony Davis back to prominence. Yet they didn’t even make the play-in tournament. Injuries aside, there were too many self-inflicted wounds.

There were too many questions of who was in charge. Rob Pelinka is the general manager, but former player and coach Kurt Rambis is listed below him on the Laker organizational chart as Director, Basketball Operations. And there is the obvious influence of James and his agents at Klutch Sports.

“The players didn’t know who they were answering to, and I think Vogel took the brunt of that because he was the guy they saw every day,” said a league source. “It wasn’t fair. On a regular basis, Rambis would get on Vogel in front of staff and players — in practices, in the hallway where everybody can see it. He wasn’t taking it behind closed doors and laying it out. And what position does Rambis have? What’s his title? His title is friend of (team governor) Jeanie Buss.

“Trust me, Frank Vogel would have been happy to have been fired from that mess.”

Another league executive also had sympathy for Vogel and the fact he was the one out front each day answering for the organization that had put the roster together.

“That had to be so hard. You can’t even be an apologist for yourself,” he said. “You have to simply take the harshness of, ‘We’re not getting it done. That’s on me. That’s on the coaching staff, the players. It’s on us.’ And you don’t necessarily have to identify, you say, ‘It’s on all of us.’

“And it is for the most part. Most failures are not coach-driven. Most failures are front office-driven in this league, because we fail to think it through. What we do is many of us try to play rotisserie basketball. We’re just trying to put together talent. We don’t actually understand that these guys are some sort of larger unit that relates to their interactions. And if you don’t think of chemistry, cohesion, compatibility, you’re lost.

“If your locker room isn’t good, you’re going to struggle,” the veteran exec continued. “And most front office guys don’t even know how to give the locker room much regard. They really don’t. And so as a result you put together this, this sort of mishmash of a group and they don’t get along.”

He then went a little deeper.

“Basketball is the most chemical game,” he said. “How many times do you actually call plays or sets in an NBA game? Not very often. You play, and you play off of each other, and you play off of each other because you’ve decided to play off each other. And you read each other, and you read the game, and you read the reactions, and that’s how you play. Well, if you don’t think it’s important for us to have a certain mutual respect for each other as competitors, then you’ve missed it. And that’s why most situations fall apart.”

With more than $82 million committed to James and Davis next season and Russell Westbrook certain to pick up his $47 million player option, the Lakers are weighed down and have little draft capital to use. A report from veteran reporter Marc Stein this week suggests that Westbrook could be bought out, which would represent a huge waste of cap space.

“They’ve got no options,” said a league source. “They got no draft picks. The most they’ll ever have is a couple of exceptions. Anybody that does this knows you have to have one week plan, a one month plan, a one season plan, a one year plan, a three year plan, five year plan, seven year plan. They didn’t have any of those on the back end. Two seasons. They got their championship in the bubble, and that’s it.”

According to a Western Conference source, Magic Johnson left the organization because he couldn’t navigate the dysfunction. And this week Johnson revealed he’d been told by DeMar DeRozan’s agent that his client wanted to play for the Lakers. But, Magic said, LeBron pushed for the far more expensive Westbrook.

“Magic knew what he was doing,” the source said. “I’m not sure who else there does.”

https://heavy.com/sports/los-angeles-lakers/players-texting-in-game-frank-vogel/

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject:

Looks like magic wants back in.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Oh please God no. We don’t need anymore people who don’t know half the league and no clue what a modern front office operation looks like.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject:

^I read it totally different. Magic knew what he was doing by quitting the dysfunction. Meanwhile his contemporaries choose to lie in the filth they created (that’s a double btw).

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject:

Just sell the damn team!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject:

I think that it’s been obvious for several years that the issues with this organization start and end with management.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers have a chance in hell with Nick Nurse, you do it and you pay him what he deserves to be paid.

I think it’s BS, myself. Why would he leave a good thing. He has it good and the fans and players all like him. I think it’s BS, some fool made up.

The Juwan Howard/Rondo combo seems interesting but do you think either one of them would be a good enough coaching for us? Hate bringing in new, unproven, blood.

Still like Quinn Snyder as my first choice, if we can’t get Nurse.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject:

The dysfunction comes from upstairs

Who's in charge?? Jeanie? Rob? Linda? Kurt? Magic? Tim (bleep) Harris?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

How so?
Where did you hear/read that?
I am checking twitter, there’s nothing.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Is Juwan Howard a name we should be excited about? I don’t follow college basketball or what he brings to the table..
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Is Juwan Howard a name we should be excited about? I don’t follow college basketball or what he brings to the table..

Howard would certainly bring a lot of "fight" to this weak minded squad.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject:

I was just reminded that Vogel won coach of the year less than 2 years ago.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Howard would certainly bring a lot of "fight" to this weak minded squad.

Pretty sure Juwan Howard is gonna want his own players to fit his system
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject:

People panicking, as usual, in Lakerland. One bad season. One bad season out of three and it's off with everyone's heads, because of course, we have to win the NBA Championship each and every season since we're the Los Angeles Lakers and we're so damned entitled.

Look, we sucked this season. Every team has bad seasons. We sucked because 1) Rob fk'd up the roster and 2) AD couldn't stay healthy. We didn't lose because of Vogel, Lebron or even Westbrook. We lost this season because of poor roster construction and AD (and maybe Nunn) being hurt. That's it. Anything after that is just nitpicking and scapegoating.

Sick of all the un-necessary drama and chicken littles doing the chicken little dance just because we sucked for one season. Lot of people hate the Lakers and Laker fans, and I sorta understand why.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject:

More accurately it is 7 bad seasons out of 9 with this management group.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
People panicking, as usual, in Lakerland. One bad season. One bad season out of three and it's off with everyone's heads, because of course, we have to win the NBA Championship each and every season since we're the Los Angeles Lakers and we're so damned entitled.

Look, we sucked this season. Every team has bad seasons. We sucked because 1) Rob fk'd up the roster and 2) AD couldn't stay healthy. We didn't lose because of Vogel, Lebron or even Westbrook. We lost this season because of poor roster construction and AD (and maybe Nunn) being hurt. That's it. Anything after that is just nitpicking and scapegoating.

Sick of all the un-necessary drama and chicken littles doing the chicken little dance just because we sucked for one season. Lot of people hate the Lakers and Laker fans, and I sorta understand why.

Amen. Laker fans are truly spoiled. The sky is falling because we only one won title in 4 years since Lebron arrived? Every other franchise would kill for that kind of 4 year run.

I understand why most stars would hardly come here in free agency….the expectations are unrealistic from us fans at times.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
We didn't lose because of Vogel, Lebron or even Westbrook. We lost this season because of poor roster construction and AD (and maybe Nunn) being hurt.

There were many factors of course. I think the problem with Vogel though is that he not only never found the right buttons to push but he never settled into a lineup. I think they showed a stat on TV recently that said they had 40 starting lineups this season. I may be off on the exact number there but that is what it was from my recollection someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But there is no way to have continuity when you do that. Even lineups that played well would just inexplicably be shifted the next game.

If a team underperforms it's going to fall on the head coach. While injuries are a valid excuse for some of it, not all of it. Same with roster construction. The team didn't consistently play hard. They were bottom feeders on both ends of the floor.

Vogel coached the team to a title two years ago and that counts for something. But he also did that with an all-star list of assistant coaches and a player coach in Rondo. He may have been propped up a bit.

Everyone will have their own opinion on how much each element contributed to this disaster of a season. They all have a share of the blame. But given that the Lakers were a poor offensive team in each of the past two seasons. Given that they probably had the most disappointing season in Lakers history just now. He's almost certainly going to be fired in my opinion.

He's won a title though. He'll land on his feet. I don't think he's a bad coach. But he seemed to lose the team this season and at least some of those guys will be back next season. I just don't see how he can survive that and stay with the team.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
troy wrote:
We didn't lose because of Vogel, Lebron or even Westbrook. We lost this season because of poor roster construction and AD (and maybe Nunn) being hurt.

There were many factors of course. I think the problem with Vogel though is that he not only never found the right buttons to push but he never settled into a lineup. I think they showed a stat on TV recently that said they had 40 starting lineups this season. I may be off on the exact number there but that is what it was from my recollection someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But there is no way to have continuity when you do that. Even lineups that played well would just inexplicably be shifted the next game.

If a team underperforms it's going to fall on the head coach. While injuries are a valid excuse for some of it, not all of it. Same with roster construction. The team didn't consistently play hard. They were bottom feeders on both ends of the floor.

Vogel coached the team to a title two years ago and that counts for something. But he also did that with an all-star list of assistant coaches and a player coach in Rondo. He may have been propped up a bit.

Everyone will have their own opinion on how much each element contributed to this disaster of a season. They all have a share of the blame. But given that the Lakers were a poor offensive team in each of the past two seasons. Given that they probably had the most disappointing season in Lakers history just now. He's almost certainly going to be fired in my opinion.

He's won a title though. He'll land on his feet. I don't think he's a bad coach. But he seemed to lose the team this season and at least some of those guys will be back next season. I just don't see how he can survive that and stay with the team.

I think it is also important to try to analyse what’s the reason behind the frequent lineup change. Injuries just by itself would trigger lineup changes. Then we don’t have good quality role players to fill the gap. For example Payne was able to put up good number in Paul’s absence because firstly Payne is a good player and secondly players are familiar with the system. We lack both factors when AD or LBJ was injured.

Another key factor is that many of the free agents we signed didn’t play as we expected. Ariza, THT and Bazemore who many have thought to play major roles on this team, turned out to be a disappointment. No one thought Monk would become our third best scoring option and Reaves become one of the better two way players. Then there were many mid-season moves such as the addition of Johnson and Gabriel. If the front office made the right signing in the off-season, these changes would not be necessary.

Then there is RW’s inconsistency and unwillingness to change his game so Vogel was forced to adjust his plan.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

How so?
Where did you hear/read that?
I am checking twitter, there’s nothing.

In will unfold
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 221, 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 222 of 224
Jump to: