Goodbye TALEN HORTON-TUCKER Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 200, 201, 202  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
reading through this it seems we can pay the most because of all the rookie contract rules etc.. some Gilbert Arenas rule..

We can give him approx 20mil over the next two years and negotiate again after??

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/2/8/22272900/lakers-talen-horton-tucker-free-agency-contract-explainer-arenas-rule

Basically, we can give him the MLE plus 5% for the next two years, and up to the max for the following two years. Other teams can give him the MLE for two years, and then up to the max for the following two years.

This is the rule, so let's talk about actual offers he will get. Some won't waste the time, but it takes one to offer enough in the 3rd and 4th years to push LA to match.

So would a team even offer 20M/yr for 3 and 4? I'm not sure that's even the case as he has shown potential but hasn't entrenched himself as a starter or 6th man. I could see Orlando offering say 16M/yr in years 3 and 4 as a gamble for young talent. Needs to be a team with space that won't attract free agents. Still worth matching for LA.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
activeverb wrote:
reading through this it seems we can pay the most because of all the rookie contract rules etc.. some Gilbert Arenas rule..

We can give him approx 20mil over the next two years and negotiate again after??

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/2/8/22272900/lakers-talen-horton-tucker-free-agency-contract-explainer-arenas-rule

Basically, we can give him the MLE plus 5% for the next two years, and up to the max for the following two years. Other teams can give him the MLE for two years, and then up to the max for the following two years.

This is the rule, so let's talk about actual offers he will get. Some won't waste the time, but it takes one to offer enough in the 3rd and 4th years to push LA to match.

So would a team even offer 20M/yr for 3 and 4? I'm not sure that's even the case as he has shown potential but hasn't entrenched himself as a starter or 6th man. I could see Orlando offering say 16M/yr in years 3 and 4 as a gamble for young talent. Needs to be a team with space that won't attract free agents. Still worth matching for LA.

Nice post and most (if not all) of the teams with space will not want to hold up their money. He will not get those big offers and he is far from a sure thing (not slighting him).
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I have a hard time seeing any teams making him a huge offer, but we shall see.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/platform/amp/2021/6/19/22540915/lakers-video-talen-horton-tucker-working-out-boxing-restricted-free-agency

Good to see his work ethic is always on point.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject:

I wanna see how 3rd year 21 year old THT improves on the Lakers.
Can he make a CJ type of jump in productivity? Or maybe the year after.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LakersvHaters/status/1410087717304631298

I don't know how I feel about his shooting coach
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

i think we keep him. isn't part of the reason he's in the NBA because lebron saw something in him dating back to high school?

the main problem i see is other teams might toy with the lakers to make them match as high as possible. i bet the clippers will try it. hopefully THT hates the clips as much as lakers fans. haha!
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
i think we keep him. isn't part of the reason he's in the NBA because lebron saw something in him dating back to high school?

the main problem i see is other teams might toy with the lakers to make them match as high as possible. i bet the clippers will try it. hopefully THT hates the clips as much as lakers fans. haha!

At the end of the day it's up to THT. Does he want the lifetime security of an $80-90mm poison pill contract with another team. OR he's okay with betting on himself, taking a 3 yr $30-40mm deal w/the Lakers in hopes of becoming that foundational player and getting the $100mm+ deal down the road.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

At the end of the day it's up to THT. Does he want the lifetime security of an $80-90mm poison pill contract with another team. OR he's okay with betting on himself, taking a 3 yr $30-40mm deal w/the Lakers in hopes of becoming that foundational player and getting the $100mm+ deal down the road.

Easy no brainer 80-90 million. A bird in hand is worth 2 in a bush. Look at Boogie after a major injury.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

It would be ridiculous for him to turn down a huge deal.

After all, he can become a foundational player for another team just as easily as for the Lakers.

And if he signs a smaller deal with the Lakers, they could turn around and trade him tomorrow.

I don't think anyone will offer the deal you're talking about, but if they do no way he'll sacrifice $30-40 million.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Any GM who offers THT 80/90 million deserves to be fired.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

https://www.si.com/.amp/nba/2020/06/25/lethal-shooter-nba-shooting-coach
THT once again showing he has the drive to get better and reach his ceiling.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Off Season with Phil Handy
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

THT > J Cole. (In rapping)
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Man this kid is showing that he'll be a great player. Keep on grinding THT!
BLF2145
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Is this a serious question? Why would he need to BET on himself with the Lakers? The money is already there in this scenario. Meaning there is no reason to bet on himself, the desired outcome if already there 🤦‍♂️. I swear, some of the sh*t i read on here from time to time just makes you shake your head and say WTF
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject:

BLF2145 wrote:
AD23 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Is this a serious question? Why would he need to BET on himself with the Lakers? The money is already there in this scenario. Meaning there is no reason to bet on himself, the desired outcome if already there 🤦‍♂️. I swear, some of the sh*t i read on here from time to time just makes you shake your head and say WTF

Lol. I'm a THT fan and Laker fan but as a player you take the money, especially coming off just 2 years at the 46th pick. Not only do you get $50 million more but you likely start and don't have to deal with DS and his BS, or be behind ball dominant Lebron. Julius Randle situation comes to mind. Hoping he stays and Lakers pay regardless of amount.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject:

I like tht but we have no idea how much better he’ll get. If he puts us over the edge for a trade you do it.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I like tht but we have no idea how much better he’ll get. If he puts us over the edge for a trade you do it.

Pretty interesting how the Suns who are a young team relied on there young players like Cam Johnson and Bridges but the Lakers didn’t choose to play THT much, maybe if he got the minutes it would have made a difference with his energy against a inexperienced Suns team, whoever lands THT rather it’s via FA of Trade is gonna have a really nice player, I don’t mind keeping him btw.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Pretty interesting how the Suns who are a young team relied on there young players like Cam Johnson and Bridges but the Lakers didn’t choose to play THT much, maybe if he got the minutes it would have made a difference with his energy against a inexperienced Suns team, whoever lands THT rather it’s via FA of Trade is gonna have a really nice player, I don’t mind keeping him btw.

this is the a culture thing. Laker teams are all about the stars, there's no babying and grooming the youngsters on any contending laker team. that was the case during Show Time, during Shaq Kobe, Kobe Gasol days. for good or bad, this is what Lakers have been and will ever be as long as Buss family owns the team.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Halflife wrote:

this is the a culture thing. Laker teams are all about the stars, there's no babying and grooming the youngsters on any contending laker team. that was the case during Show Time, during Shaq Kobe, Kobe Gasol days. for good or bad, this is what Lakers have been and will ever be as long as Buss family owns the team.

I agree however the reason why we are about the stars is because we were fortunate enough to land those stars, maybe if we don’t land those stars and have to build through the draft we will end up like the Hawks and Suns 1 day
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I think it's more than that. Phoenix was a rebuilding team coming off a 34-39 season. The addition of Paul was about spurring the rebuilding and getting the team into the playoffs.

Other than Paul, they really didn't change the roster much, so it wasn't like they were retooling to make a big run. They kept playing the same guys from the previous year's lottery team.

No one at the start of the season was predicting that they'd get into the finals.

They were a surprise team that, honestly, benefitted from the teams they met in the playoffs having a huge amount of injuries.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Do it for who though? Be a little more specific at least lol.

No offense, but these kind of posts are almost always useless because almost no one ever specifies what player(s) to get in return.

If it was for someone like Dame Lillard? Well no (bleep). That goes without saying. But it's also not realistic right now so why even bring that up? Kyrie Irving? Again no (bleep).

What exactly are you talking about?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject:

Breakout Year coming

I really like this kid.. he seems to never shy away and gives his all.. now his skill set has to grow but I trust he is not cutting rap albums or writing books or chasing a Masters Degree...

Gym Rat is what I hope he is
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

Still think that we need to temper our expectations a bit for him. He's 20, entering year #3. The 3 point shooting, overall defense, those take a while to improve and with more prominence in the rotation, he will need to improve on that. I don't know if he will get starter's minutes because of these limitations yet, but I'm sure he and his training team are working hard on these limitations.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
Page 129 of 202
Jump to: