How well do we stack up against the Clippers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would win in a 7 game series right now, rosters as is
Lakers
83%
 83%  [ 204 ]
Clippers
16%
 16%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 245

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Car54 wrote:
When did Leonard become a PF?

Kaw and Pg are both SF's according to history, but the Klippers choose to rewrite history!

I think KL will play SG with PG at SF; anyway whatever they do,
Danny will get KL and LBJ will get PG.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Kawhi is not a power forward. Positions still exist.

There is definitely a blurring of positions. I'd say you would lump them as guards, wings, and bigs.

As long as players are different sizes there will be distinct positions. Paul George has been adamant about not wanting to play power forward and Kawhi has never played there in his career. AD has expressed his distaste for playing center, etc. There are only a handful of players that really come close to the description of 'positionless' and even fewer teams who effectively utilize small ball lineups, most notably Houston and Golden State. To me the idea has been exaggerated and there's reason to believe that we'll see a lot more traditional 5 man lineups this season and going forward.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Kaw and Pg are both SF's according to history, but the Klippers choose to rewrite history!

I think Green should get Paul

and Lebron should get Kawhi. If Lebron is locked in to playing defense we won’t need a huge offensive game from him. AD Kuzma and Boogie Buzzins can provide he offense.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
deal wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Car54 wrote:

and Lebron should get Kawhi. If Lebron is locked in to playing defense we won’t need a huge offensive game from him. AD Kuzma and Boogie Buzzins can provide he offense.

Green hasn't guarded PG the last couple years but optimism is ok (not being sarcastic)
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Car54 wrote:
deal wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Green hasn't guarded PG the last couple years but optimism is ok (not being sarcastic)

PG means Paul George not POint Guard. I thought the previous quoted post would make that clear
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

Can AD guard PG? I know Danny Green should match up defensively about as well as any one else in the league against Kawhi Leonard and Bradley can limit Lou Williams.

I think the Lakers have an answer defensively against the Clips but the Clips don’t have an answer for the Lakers in Cousins and also Kuzma feasting on their second team.

Speaking of second team, Rondo was 8th in the NBA last year in assists per game so he provides alternate and/or additional playmaking plus McGee is useful offensively and was top 10 in NBA in blocks per game. Factor in KCP on the second unit backing up Green and u have a deep talented unit. And that hasn’t even factored in Quinn Cook is in top 20 NBA in 3pt% with Daniels and Dudley shooting around 40% from 3. And With Caruso looking more than just useful down the stretch I don’t see how the Clips will Challenge the Lakers.

Oh, btw, to top it off there’s also some other guy on the team that might contribute to Laker wins...LBJ!!!!
#17 otw
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Can AD guard PG? I know Danny Green should match up defensively about as well as any one else in the league against Kawhi Leonard and Bradley can limit Lou Williams.

I think the Lakers have an answer defensively against the Clips but the Clips don’t have an answer for the Lakers in Cousins and also Kuzma feasting on their second team.

Speaking of second team, Rondo was 8th in the NBA last year in assists per game so he provides alternate and/or additional playmaking plus McGee is useful offensively and was top 10 in NBA in blocks per game. Factor in KCP on the second unit backing up Green and u have a deep talented unit. And that hasn’t even factored in Quinn Cook is in top 20 NBA in 3pt% with Daniels and Dudley shooting around 40% from 3. And With Caruso looking more than just useful down the stretch I don’t see how the Clips will Challenge the Lakers.

Oh, btw, to top it off there’s also some other guy on the team that might contribute to Laker wins...LBJ!!!!
#17 otw

I don’t doubt Green can stay in front of Kawhi but Kawhi is stronger than green and I’m not sure the refs are gonna call it when Kawhi knocks him to the floor. I rather see him limit PG and let Lebron cancel out Kawhi production. If Dudley can limit Montrez then we’re good in those match ups
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Positions are becoming less important. Teams put different assortments of players on the floor based on matchups. It's not unusual to see a team put out three small forwards and two guards.

Leonard can play SG, SF, and PF, but that doesn't mean he can defend or be guarded by every SG, SF and PF in the league.

Kawhi is not a power forward. Positions still exist.

I get the impression you are responding to some post you wish I had written rather than what I actually said.

Anyway, Kawhi is most effective at SF, but he certainly has defended PFs and SGs in the past few years. His success depends on matchups. He struggles against big, strong PF but can defend some effectively.

I suspect the Clippers will run out some lineups with Kawhi at the 4 spot, but I think he will spend more time at the 3 with Paul George at the 2.

But I get this can turn into a semantics exercise, where someone argues that a player isn't "really" a PF even if he is guarding the opposing PF.

Last edited by activeverb on Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

Lakers simply have two players that need to be double-teamed all the time. And that leaves plenty of open looks for players like DG or AB.

As good as Kawhi and Paul George are, both can be guarded one-on-one. If you try guarding Lebron or AD one-on-one they will destroy you.

And Clippers have no answer to Lakers size. Anyone think Zubac/Harrell can stop or slow down AD/Cousins (or McGee rolling to the basket)?

Lakers should play heavy inside-out. Attack their bigs inside, get them into foul trouble as much as possible and pass outside to open shooters. If one of the Clips get into foul trouble, attack, attack, attack until he's benched or fouls out.

If the Clippers get a solid rotational big man (right now, they are very thin), then they might stand a chance, but I don't see the Lakers losing in a 7 game series against the Clips unless the Lakers are injury-ridden or just (bleep) the bed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

I'm just happy we finally have some 3 point shooters.

I liked the YUTES but man, the brickfest was rough to watch.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It's just gonna be so weird having a team that can shoot threes and hit free throws. It's been....a very....long....time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's just gonna be so weird having a team that can shoot threes and hit free throws. It's been....a very....long....time.

Seriously. Remember that game when Rondo missed like 6 3s in a row against the Bucks.

Oh wait. He's back.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Seriously. Remember that game when Rondo missed like 6 3s in a row against the Bucks.

Oh wait. He's back.

All in the first quarter too! 😭😭😭
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:

I don’t doubt Green can stay in front of Kawhi but Kawhi is stronger than green and I’m not sure the refs are gonna call it when Kawhi knocks him to the floor. I rather see him limit PG and let Lebron cancel out Kawhi production. If Dudley can limit Montrez then we’re good in those match ups

Montrez looks like a supped up prime Faried. I could see him being a difficult cover for our bench rotation. I like Dudley more than most. But that is asking alot.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Lets hope that they don’t forget how to shoot like some other shooters we brought in previously.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lets hope that they don’t forget how to shoot like some other shooters we brought in previously.

Well, since Luke who have been the surefire 3 shooters? Bullock (who we later found out had some injury that might have been affecting him)? KCP was never a lockdown shooter.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It still amazes me that we kept half of last year's "meme team"/ playmaker additions (McGee, Rondo) while dumping 3/4 of the supposed "core" (Lonzo, BI, and Hart).

McGee made sense to me, then and now, as he gave us the vertical game and shot-blocking we hoped to get originally, so re-signing him at $4M or so was a perfectly reasonable move.

But if we had signed even 2 shooters last year - say Joe Harris ($7M last year) or Redick ($13M) or Seth Curry ($2.6M) instead of Rondo and Beasley and Lance - and who knows how far we might have gotten while still keeping the previous "core."
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It still amazes me that we kept half of last year's "meme team"/ playmaker additions (McGee, Rondo) while dumping 3/4 of the supposed "core" (Lonzo, BI, and Hart).

McGee made sense to me, then and now, as he gave us the vertical game and shot-blocking we hoped to get originally, so re-signing him at $4M or so was a perfectly reasonable move.

But if we had signed even 2 shooters last year - say Joe Harris ($7M last year) or Redick ($13M) or Seth Curry ($2.6M) instead of Rondo and Beasley and Lance - and who knows how far we might have gotten while still keeping the previous "core."
bro we have ad and lebron and you worried about the core?
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

bro we have ad and lebron and you worried about the core?

Given the probability that LeBron has very few dominant years left in the tank? Yes. Each side can make fair points, I’d say
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm guessing your view is that if we had signed a couple of 3-point shooters we would have been so successful last year that we wouldn't have felt a need to trade for AD?

I guess that's possible, but I am dubious considering that our core didn't exactly light the league on fire and Ball, Lebron and Hart were all hobbled by the end of the season.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
As long as players are different sizes there will be distinct positions. Paul George has been adamant about not wanting to play power forward and Kawhi has never played there in his career. AD has expressed his distaste for playing center, etc. There are only a handful of players that really come close to the description of 'positionless' and even fewer teams who effectively utilize small ball lineups, most notably Houston and Golden State. To me the idea has been exaggerated and there's reason to believe that we'll see a lot more traditional 5 man lineups this season and going forward.

There's really not much that differentiates a PF from a C these days, especially with how the league has put a premium on spacing these days. How many traditional back-to-the-basket centers are there in today's game?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
manlisten wrote:

There's really not much that differentiates a PF from a C these days, especially with how the league has put a premium on spacing these days. How many traditional back-to-the-basket centers are there in today's game?

Embiid Joker Boogie whiteside Nukic Looney Lopez Utah center Aldridge I’m sure there’s more.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
manlisten wrote:

I feel like as Laker fans we should know better . Having watched guys like Brandon Bass, Jordan Hill, Julius Randle and Kyle Kuzma attempt to play center over the years. It's not so much about posting up. The average center is 6'11 250, power forward is 6'9 232. Basketball is a physical game and it makes a difference when you're boxing out and trying to defend guys who are taller and bigger. There has to be a reason it was a point of emphasis for the Lakers to preserve AD and prolong his career by limiting his minutes at center. There has to be a reason so many players are resistant to moving up a position. It's more physically demanding.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."

Last edited by manlisten on Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
manlisten wrote:

I feel like as Laker fans we should know better :lol. Having watched guys like Brandon Bass, Jordan Hill, Julius Randle and Kyle Kuzma attempt to play center over the years. It's not so much about posting up. The average center is 6'11 250, power forward is 6'9 232. Basketball is a physical game and it makes a difference when you're boxing out and trying to defend guys who are taller and bigger. There has to be a reason it was a point of emphasis for the Lakers to preserve AD and prolong his career by limiting his minutes at center. There has to be a reason so many players are resistant to moving up a position. It's more physically demanding.

Anyone who's played basketball knows how taxing it is to guard guys who may be 2-4 inches taller than you and 25-40 more pounds. It's a lot of work that you need to expend that the other player doesn't necessarily have to.

With AD, I just don't think he likes physicality. He has the size to play that position but during his formative high school years he was basically a guard and was 6'0-6'4 IIRC.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
manlisten wrote:

I feel like as Laker fans we should know better :lol. Having watched guys like Brandon Bass, Jordan Hill, Julius Randle and Kyle Kuzma attempt to play center over the years. It's not so much about posting up. The average center is 6'11 250, power forward is 6'9 232. Basketball is a physical game and it makes a difference when you're boxing out and trying to defend guys who are taller and bigger. There has to be a reason it was a point of emphasis for the Lakers to preserve AD and prolong his career by limiting his minutes at center. There has to be a reason so many players are resistant to moving up a position. It's more physically demanding.

Anyone who's played basketball knows how taxing it is to guard guys who may be 2-4 inches taller than you and 25-40 more pounds. It's a lot of work that you need to expend that the other player doesn't necessarily have to.

With AD, I just don't think he likes physicality. He has the size to play that position but during his formative high school years he was basically a guard and was 6'0-6'4 IIRC.

Exactly. Even as a perimeter player it's tough going against guys that are bigger and stronger. "There aren't anymore back to the basket players" was Magic's reasoning when he built the team last year and we see how that worked out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18
Jump to: