Lakers Showtime Series coming to HBO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Fun Fact: The actor that plays Kareem (Solomon Hughes) played college basketball for Cal and he is 6'11".

He's also got a doctorate in I want to say education or something like that. Really impressive. Never acted before this and he straight up knocked it out of the ballpark.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject:

Love the show, "Buck Foston" episode was amazing, felt like you watching a real game against those guys. Finger by Jerry West was hilarious.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject:

So over the top, the characters are almost carricatures but couldn't stop watching, it's entertaining. Two thumbs up
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject:

KAJ sharing his thoughts on "Winning Time":

Quote:
"Winning Time" Isn’t Just Deliberately Dishonest, It’s Drearily Dull

https://kareem.substack.com/p/winning-time-isnt-just-deliberately?r=4b9ic&s=r&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
KAJ sharing his thoughts on "Winning Time":

Quote:
"Winning Time" Isn’t Just Deliberately Dishonest, It’s Drearily Dull

https://kareem.substack.com/p/winning-time-isnt-just-deliberately?r=4b9ic&s=r&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Based Kareem.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject:

i watch the show religiously.

for whatever reason, i don't have a problem with the character embellishments... but i do take issue with taking artistic license with the games.

like i don't think the events of that boston game ever happened? maybe it was a mashup of a bunch of different games?

but pretty sure spencer was playing for the bullets when he knocked bird on his ass?

the bird character was a bit over the top... but he was a hillbilly and he was a legendary trash talker... so i'm fine with it.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject:

I think he is on point but I still enjoy watching. Jerry West really is a terrible portrayal however. I think Magic/Kareem are good representations as is Dr Buss.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject:

The main trouble with the show, even though I'm entertained by it, is that a lot of people will probably think it's all true.

Jerry West is nut. Chick Hearn is a racist. Etc.

I think that's not too cool because when else would the average person ever learn about them beyond this show?

I'd hate for my whole life to be "portrayed" like that, even if it's just a joke. I imagine wherever West goes now, people will think of this stupid show, and think, oh there's that loony that threw his MVP out the window. Chick Hearn? Oh, he was a racist jerk.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject:

WC13 wrote:
The main trouble with the show, even though I'm entertained by it, is that a lot of people will probably think it's all true.

I think that's not too cool because when else would the average person ever learn about them beyond this show?

I'd hate for my whole life to be "portrayed" like that, even if it's just a joke. I imagine wherever West goes now, people will think of this stupid show, and think, oh there's that loony that threw his MVP out the window. Chick Hearn? Oh, he was a racist jerk.

It might be a stretch but not too much of one.

West is a nut case from what we've read and what he's said.

Chick lived in a different time period. He would have been cancelled a long time ago if he was working today.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:

Chick lived in a different time period. He would have been cancelled a long time ago if he was working today.

Well, you see, there you go.

2 legends shrunk down to caricatures and cancelled by this truly idiotic show.

The Kareem article critiques the show well.

https://kareem.substack.com/p/winning-time-isnt-just-deliberately?s=r
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject:

notice how Kareem sticks up for Jeanie in his piece.

compare that to the ever more frequent "Jeanie is a ditsy blonde trust fund baby daddy's girl" trope on this forum.

WC13 wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Well, you see, there you go.

2 legends shrunk down to caricatures and cancelled by this truly idiotic show.

The Kareem article critiques the show well.

https://kareem.substack.com/p/winning-time-isnt-just-deliberately?s=r
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
So over the top, the characters are almost carricatures but couldn't stop watching, it's entertaining. Two thumbs up

Exactly how I see it.

It isn't a documentary, it is entertainment and I find myself watching each episode as they come available. I rarely do that these days for any show.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Add Jerry West to the list of detractors

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33769604/jerry-west-demands-retraction-apology-portrayal-hbo-series-winning
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject:

They could have made a good show without the gross mischaracterizations. The Logo has every right to be pissed off.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Add Jerry West to the list of detractors

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33769604/jerry-west-demands-retraction-apology-portrayal-hbo-series-winning

More publicity for the show 😂
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject:

LOL at Jerry. Art is art. don't watch. Funny how bitter he is and he's probably wanting a retraction on his portrayal of being bitter.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
LOL at Jerry. Art is art. don't watch. Funny how bitter he is and he's probably wanting a retraction on his portrayal of being bitter.

The irony isn’t lost on me but he’s my favorite on the show
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject:

SportsLoco wrote:
You’re the one that seems intent on proving that he was a “bigot” I met him several times and you didn’t. That’s all you need to know.

I know how the man was in person and why he is beloved among most Laker fans. I think anyone that tries to insinuate something other than the fact has bad intentions and not a true Laker fan IMO.

Are you associated with the show in some way or what is your deal? You seem obsessed with defending the portrayal of Chick has a “bigot” The show sucks and that’s why everyone in the El Segundo Lakers HQ feels the same way. It won’t make it beyond the first mediocre season.

Boy have I got some devastating news for you, buddy...

https://deadline.com/2022/04/winning-time-the-rise-of-the-lakers-dynasty-renewed-season-2-hbo-1234996365/
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject:

Jeff Pearlman, author of Showtime has responded to Kareems article on his Twitter.

Quote:
Been asked about this a lot. So—I'll respond. First, I am an enormous @kaj33 fan. Enormous. And I TOTALLY get him watching "Winning Time" and thinking, "Hmm ..." I get it. But—a few thoughts: A. While reporting, I gave Kareem multiple opportunities to talk. [1]

By "multiple," I mean a lot. I also know folks affiliated with the show have reached out. But Kareem, being Kareem, always says no, no, no, no, no. Which is fine. His right. But when you reject people—then complain about the way those same people go about [2]

doing something, you lose a LOT of your fire. B. Also, not for nothing (and I've said this before), Kareem is repped by the worst publicist who has ever walked the earth, and the toxins she lets loose into the universe have legitimately poisoned Kareem's rep, image. [3]

C. It's a TV show. Entertainment. Not a documentary. And while I agree with Kareem on 96.56% of world issues, calling "Winning Time" boring is a laughably inane take. The show is fun, dynamic, unique, joyful. It's an ode to the Lakers. D. Also, not for nothing, the people [4]

behind "Winning Time" researched their asses off. Thorough beyond thorough. And while they tend to be too classy to clap back, I'm not. E. If you've ever seen a sports movie, you know how these things go. "Remember the Titans" takes leaps. "Rudy" takes leaps. "42" takes leaps [5]

It's just the way of Hollywood. You want to capture the spirit of the era, the spirit of the team, the spirit of the peeps, while also utilizing narrative storytelling. It's NOT a doc. As a journalist—being honest—it's been an adjustment for me. But it's one I've made and I'm [6]

sincerely proud of this show. Again—I LOVE Kareem. If you take Power Memorial+UCLA+NBA, he's easily the greatest basketball player of all time. He's an even better man. But his piece, while beautifully written, suggests a guy who watched snippets of a single episode [7]

conferred with his diarrhea dish publicist and unleashed. Again—I get it. It has to be v-e-r-y strange for him, Magic, Riley, Coop, etc. I get it. I'm not even slightly mad. But I do think Kareem's perspective is off. So hey. [And not for nothing, Dr. Solomon Hughes is terrific]
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Jeff Pearlman, author of Showtime has responded to Kareems article on his Twitter.

Quote:
Been asked about this a lot. So—I'll respond. First, I am an enormous @kaj33 fan. Enormous. And I TOTALLY get him watching "Winning Time" and thinking, "Hmm ..." I get it. But—a few thoughts: A. While reporting, I gave Kareem multiple opportunities to talk. [1]

By "multiple," I mean a lot. I also know folks affiliated with the show have reached out. But Kareem, being Kareem, always says no, no, no, no, no. Which is fine. His right. But when you reject people—then complain about the way those same people go about [2]

doing something, you lose a LOT of your fire. B. Also, not for nothing (and I've said this before), Kareem is repped by the worst publicist who has ever walked the earth, and the toxins she lets loose into the universe have legitimately poisoned Kareem's rep, image. [3]

C. It's a TV show. Entertainment. Not a documentary. And while I agree with Kareem on 96.56% of world issues, calling "Winning Time" boring is a laughably inane take. The show is fun, dynamic, unique, joyful. It's an ode to the Lakers. D. Also, not for nothing, the people [4]

behind "Winning Time" researched their asses off. Thorough beyond thorough. And while they tend to be too classy to clap back, I'm not. E. If you've ever seen a sports movie, you know how these things go. "Remember the Titans" takes leaps. "Rudy" takes leaps. "42" takes leaps [5]

It's just the way of Hollywood. You want to capture the spirit of the era, the spirit of the team, the spirit of the peeps, while also utilizing narrative storytelling. It's NOT a doc. As a journalist—being honest—it's been an adjustment for me. But it's one I've made and I'm [6]

sincerely proud of this show. Again—I LOVE Kareem. If you take Power Memorial+UCLA+NBA, he's easily the greatest basketball player of all time. He's an even better man. But his piece, while beautifully written, suggests a guy who watched snippets of a single episode [7]

conferred with his diarrhea dish publicist and unleashed. Again—I get it. It has to be v-e-r-y strange for him, Magic, Riley, Coop, etc. I get it. I'm not even slightly mad. But I do think Kareem's perspective is off. So hey. [And not for nothing, Dr. Solomon Hughes is terrific]

OK, now I need to see a TV miniseries on Kareem's publicist.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject:

i think kareem is very familiar with McKay's work. i think he knew that winning time would be "big shorted out". which would be at times overbearing and slap stick. so maybe he thought his advice would be ignored for the sake of entertainment value? and that's why he chose not to participate behind the scenes with the show?

although kareem can be "anti hollywood". he is still pretty hollywood regardless
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Quote:

"Too classy to clap back"...

oh, the irony.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Halflife wrote:

The irony isn’t lost on me but he’s my favorite on the show

Yeah it’s entertainment but you can’t ignore there is some truth in jest.

Magic is a playboy and sex freak who craves attention … In real life Magic was known for his sexual escapades which got him HIV. And he’s known for wanting attention like announcing he quit with no notice as gm, leaving his coaching job that was beneath him, belittling Nick in the media for touching a ref and then doing the same.

Jerry is portrayed as a bitter person and guy who can rub people wrong … he didn’t win in LA to Wilt took him there. He was upset in the show for being locked out a locker room and he hates Phil to this day because Phil told him get your ass out my locker room, I’m making this team win and I don’t need or want you around meddling to do it. He’s bitter about season tickets and respect despite calling the lakers (bleep) and talking about Jeanie.

Buss is portrayed as a playboy who was tight and sometimes bad with money and women. It’s no secret he was a gambler, did coke, and womanized a lot of women. It’s no secret he pinch pennies and had many ventures fail outside the lakers. It’s no secret he told Jeanie plan how to make the team an attraction and relied on her.

Kareem is portrayed as an ass. That’s always been the story on him as a lot of people looked at him that way in the media and the league in his day, and it carried on as he never got a significant role with any team because of his personality.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject:

WC13 wrote:

Great post. There will unfortunately by many from the cancel culture who think that this crap is true. They could have made the show more appealing by using different methods of falsehoods without attacking ones character. Peeing on Chick's grave and labeling Logo is horrible and sad at the same time.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Jeannie puke scene was hilarious ...especially the way she was picturing Dr. Buss + KFC + the Naked Chicks
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 9 of 16
Jump to: