Lakers Showtime Series coming to HBO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I knew about the Oscar not the Emmy though and I figured Shaq would be a player that would welcome it (for now anyways).

He also knows that Kobe is the one that's going to be trashed more..

I think the show would roast Shaq. There's plenty of material there.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
I knew about the Oscar not the Emmy though and I figured Shaq would be a player that would welcome it (for now anyways).

Can’t ignore Shaq Fu but compared to Kobe ? No
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Three Ring Circus -- which is almost certainly what the Shaq/Kobe season of Winning Time would be based on -- was harsher on Kobe than on Shaq. Kobe really comes across poorly as a young player, and you get the sense that Pearlman generally disliked him.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject:

You watching "They Call Me Magic"?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I haven't but I heard its rather sanitized yet verified a lot of Winning Time in the process.

Some also think it makes Magic look worse given how he led Cookie on for years...
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject:

richsmith wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Three Ring Circus -- which is almost certainly what the Shaq/Kobe season of Winning Time would be based on -- was harsher on Kobe than on Shaq. Kobe really comes across poorly as a young player, and you get the sense that Pearlman generally disliked him.

I'm wasn't trying to argue one would be treated more harshly than the other. I'm only saying Shaq's Lakers' career has provided plenty of material for a show like this and a lot of it wouldn't be flattering to him.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
richsmith wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

I'm wasn't trying to argue one would be treated more harshly than the other. I'm only saying Shaq's Lakers' career has provided plenty of material for a show like this and a lot of it wouldn't be flattering to him.

You have a point there. I just wonder if it will be things that will end having him make his own documentary to counteract what the show is saying about him.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Felt it from the start but it's glaring in episode 9. Jeannie Buss is the only one that comes out of this show looking great. "Invaluable" my ass. Wonder if she had a hand in the narrative.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Felt it from the start but it's glaring in episode 9. Jeannie Buss is the only one that comes out of this show looking great. "Invaluable" my ass. Wonder if she had a hand in the narrative.

Def she had. Just like those articles pops out at start of offseason during Jim Buss era like "Lakers Management is a mess" while poor Jeanie is devastated because her dog died.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I stopped after 2 episodes to “save” the show and watch it all together. But (bleep) me this is something I don’t look forward to seeing.

Oh how I used to love Jeanie…and then I grew up.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Magic’s dad I think looks good here but you raise valid points. I figured we would get a bit more focus on Spencer Haywood and how his drug use wrecked his relationship with Iman and their child etc instead way more focus on the Buss family. They also act like she was an only child when she’s not.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Magic’s dad I think looks good here but you raise valid points. I figured we would get a bit more focus on Spencer Haywood and how his drug use wrecked his relationship with Iman and their child etc instead way more focus on the Buss family. They also act like she was an only child when she’s not.

She was never involved with the team until almost 15 years later. It's just a complete fabrication. It's very off putting. I get that the show is a bit of a docudrama with the principal players being outsized, caricatures of their real life counterparts. Everyone in the organization had the most unsavory parts of themselves magnified except poor little Jeanie. The lie just compounds it. Kind of pisses me off.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject:

i'm not gonna hate on jeannie. i get the vibe some here pile on her because she's a pretty blonde lady. if you wanna give her crap for being born to a rich family... fine. but because she's a woman? meh.

this last episode was the least favorite of mine. it's becoming more soap opera than basketball. they are totally glossing over THE GAMES. but i get it. it's NOT about basketball... it's about the Buss family.

i'll still watch it. believe me, i'm not a prude... but was there a point to the random dick shot in the locker room? other than just to do it?

i think the show will hit it's stride once Riles is in the captain's chair.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i know the show is entertaining, i watch it for that sole purpose. but it's mind boggling why Buss family gave the green light to this show. are they that desperate to get royalty money out of this? this show will further the perception that Laker franchise/ownership is a joke.

Talk about clueless, the Buss family had no involvement

the show is about the Laker franchise, i'm pretty sure Buss family were consulted before production. you don't produce a documentary about Disney without their consent no? same thing here.

If they're public figures you don't need their consent otherwise West, Magic etc wouldn't be complaining right now.

They'd have to get some sort of permission to use the Lakers name, uniforms, etc., I would think.

Anyway, this show is absolutely absurd in every way...I support Jerry West suing....

but I'm still enjoying it, knowing that it has absolutely nothing to do with reality.

One thing that is sorta good about it for the Lakers, what other team has a show like this? Not those frickin Celtics with that dorky zit-faced Bird.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject:

WC13 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i know the show is entertaining, i watch it for that sole purpose. but it's mind boggling why Buss family gave the green light to this show. are they that desperate to get royalty money out of this? this show will further the perception that Laker franchise/ownership is a joke.

the show is about the Laker franchise, i'm pretty sure Buss family were consulted before production. you don't produce a documentary about Disney without their consent no? same thing here.

If they're public figures you don't need their consent otherwise West, Magic etc wouldn't be complaining right now.

They'd have to get some sort of permission to use the Lakers name, uniforms, etc., I would think.

Anyway, this show is absolutely absurd in every way...I support Jerry West suing....

but I'm still enjoying it, knowing that it has absolutely nothing to do with reality.

One thing that is sorta good about it for the Lakers, what other team has a show like this? Not those frickin Celtics with that dorky zit-faced Bird.

Nope
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
WC13 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Nope

https://lakersnation.com/nba-news-hbo-didnt-seek-permission-to-use-lakers-trademarks-logos-in-winning-time/2022/03/25/

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/03/10/Media/Winning-Time.aspx
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject:

WC13 wrote:
AD23 wrote:
WC13 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Nope

https://lakersnation.com/nba-news-hbo-didnt-seek-permission-to-use-lakers-trademarks-logos-in-winning-time/2022/03/25/

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/03/10/Media/Winning-Time.aspx

Like I said, they didn't get permission.

It's a can of worms suing HBO for using IP ... can come back to bite the nba in the ass
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject:

WC13 wrote:
AD23 wrote:
WC13 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Nope

I get not wanting people to leverage a company's brand for profit, but this whole fake outrage about the portrayal is comedy.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
WC13 wrote:
AD23 wrote:
WC13 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Nope

It's a can of worms suing HBO for using IP ... can come back to bite the nba in the ass

You didn't say that, you said "nope" to me saying that I would think they would have to get some sort of permission. They should have...but didn't.

They didn't get any permission, apparently from the NBA, nor the Lakers organization, for any of this BS. So the idea being put forth that Jeannie is somehow involved or gave approval because she supposedly comes off well...that doesn't appear to be at all true.

Truth is hard to come by these days.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject:

WC13 wrote:
AD23 wrote:
WC13 wrote:
AD23 wrote:
WC13 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Nope

You didn't say that, you said "nope" to me saying that I would think they would have to get some sort of permission. They should have...but didn't.

They didn't get any permission, apparently from the NBA, nor the Lakers organization, for any of this BS. So the idea being put forth that Jeannie is somehow involved or gave approval because she supposedly comes off well...that doesn't appear to be at all true.

Next time I'll give you a 3 word answer lol
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
WC13 wrote:
AD23 wrote:
WC13 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Nope

I get not wanting people to leverage a company's brand for profit, but this whole fake outrage about the portrayal is comedy.

I think the outrage is that their wives get to "see" it one thing to hear it another to have names etc involved.

Especially in Magic's case..

I don't think Jerry West comes across that badly he's actually my favorite on the show. Yeah is character is a prick but I at least get it Magic and Buss are actually quite terrible(albeit entertaining).
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
WC13 wrote:
AD23 wrote:
WC13 wrote:
AD23 wrote:
WC13 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Nope

Next time I'll give you a 3 word answer lol

Maybe an answer that says what you want to say, and not the opposite.

If you had been clear, I wouldn't have had to find articles, post 'em, and then be told that's what you said as if I was wrong.

It's no big deal at all...but seeing as this thread is about truth, honesty, clarity, reality, BS, etc....seems it's a major problem in today's world.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I don't think Jerry West comes across that badly he's actually my favorite on the show. Yeah is character is a prick but I at least get it Magic and Buss are actually quite terrible(albeit entertaining).

I think in the first couple episodes West came across really bad. But he's looked better as it's gone on.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

I think in the first couple episodes West came across really bad. But he's looked better as it's gone on.

I agree once they delved a bit into his family life I understood tbh.

I also checked out his book at the local library (will read it as soon as I finish Magic's book which I'm almost done reading)
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject:

this show had Jeannie Buss's ego all over it. she came out as the only rational, normal character who's just a girl surviving in men's power games. i stopped watching it 3 weeks ago.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 11 of 16
Jump to: