Why didn't Lebron take that last shot?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDI
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Why didn't Lebron take that last shot?

What the heck man. He is 15/21 from the field, 6/9 from 3. Why didn't he wave off the screen and pull up a jumper on Butler?
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

Because he was triple teamed. His gravity allowed Danny Green to be wide open. He missed.

If Bron would have shot it over the triple team and missed fans would have complained about that too.

I don't fault Bron at all. He made the right decision. On to game 6.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

Well what you say is true and it seemed like he should have just bully his way to the basket.

But 3 guys were on him and he would have probably got fouled and the refs may not have called it.

I actually think passing time DG was the right play and even if he missed it, it’s still the right play.

Here is why.

Lebron has been saying in his interviews if you are open, you take the shot and live with the results.

This case the result was a loSt. But in his postgame interview he still said the same thing. You live with the results.

He stands by his words. His teammates know he trust him even with the game on the line.

I expect he made the right play because next game his team will see how he will trust him and they won’t fail him. You have to practice what you preach.

Sure Jordan or Dame wound have taken the shot. But that isn’t Lebrons game. His game is based off trusting others. And that builds team chemistry
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

Casual.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

Why is it surprising to you that he didn't. Have you been watching him throughout his career?
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

He didn't take the shot because it wasn't the right play.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject:

He made the right basketball play drawing 2 defenders for a wide-open shot. This isn't rocket science.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

Why did Vogel design that play for DG to take that shot? That’s what you should be asking.

DG sat through the 4th quarter until those final seconds. He was brought in the last 16 secs just for that play.

Why not draw it up for KCP?

Why not AD?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject:

Kieff's panic was arguably worse than Danny's choke.

Also, I don't think it helps that social media is ready to pounce whenever a player makes a bad play.

In the old days... a player would mess up and then it would be forgotten other than hardcore fans.

Now their mistakes go viral and even casual fans join in on the bashing and everything they do is memorialized and memed.

So it's no wonder a player who was fourth all time in finals 3 point percentage suddenly feels the weight of becoming a social media joke on his shoulders.

LBJ made a decent call driving to the rim and passing with enough time to get off a second shot.

Green missed badly but there was still was 5 seconds for Kieff to pass to someone.

AD should have pursued the pass more aggressively... Kieff should have relaxed and looked for another target... so many what ifs

But LBJ is probably the least to blame in that scenario.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

The real question is-- why was Markieff Morris in the game? Need to surround LeBron and AD with SHOOTERS.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
The real question is-- why was Markieff Morris in the game? Need to surround LeBron and AD with SHOOTERS.

Unfortunately on our team, Kieff is one of the few who roughly approximates that description.

And he was hot before this game.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Watch the replay, see how hard Kieff went for the rebound. DG would’ve probably got his own rebound with the shot being so short, but Kieff was in for the hustle. He did make a terrible mistake after the rebound, AD was open under basket, Lebron was open outside the 3, DG was open right behind him. He chose AD which had Bam sealed, any reasonable pass to AD would’ve been game over because he would just dunk it. It was unfortunate

Also when lebron goes to the basket, Bam came to help, if he went up for the layup, AD would’ve get the rebound. Or lebron could’ve lobbed it to AD.
Hindsight is 20/20 though
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject:

Op is not asking why LeBron passed after being triple teamed. He’s asking why he made that drive in the first place instead of ISOing and pulling it from mid range
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject:

Anyone with a sound basketball mind knows that Lebron made the right play. Triple teamed, and kicks it out to a WIDE open teammate. He put our team in a position to win it. Shot does not fall. Off to Game 6.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Why did Vogel design that play for DG to take that shot? That’s what you should be asking.

because we wanted a switch so lebron can attack robinson, their weakest defender. robinson guarded green. if he had guarded kcp, it would have been kcp. simple as that.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

James made the “right” basketball play. But sometimes you need the “winning” basketball play instead.

Legacies are born with game winning shots. Great players separate themselves by taking on the responsibility of taking that winning or losing shot. If reversed would Butler have taken the ball for a game winning attempt or the “right” play?

To be clear, in that particular case I would expect James to pass the ball ( as I expect the Heat defense likely did) but my issue is James not being driven to be the one to take the shot in the first place.

Sometimes in you just need the leader to say “give me the ball, I got this”.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject:

I thought Meek Keefs horrible shot with 3 seconds to go was worse.

He could of passed out to the open James, who was asking for the ball.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Why didn't Lebron take that last shot?

MDI wrote:
What the heck man. He is 15/21 from the field, 6/9 from 3. Why didn't he wave off the screen and pull up a jumper on Butler?

It was designed as a read and react play. If he was single or even double covered (depending how hard), he probably would've put up a shot <10 feet with AD positioned to crash. The defense totally collapsed and left a wide open Green (and a wide open KCP off the swing) with about 9 seconds to play. Danny just missed it. It eerily reminds me of Game 4 in 2002 when Horry hits that shot at the buzzer to win the game.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Why didn't Lebron take that last shot?

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
MDI wrote:

It was designed as a read and react play. If he was single or even double covered (depending how hard), he probably would've put up a shot <10 feet with AD positioned to crash. The defense totally collapsed and left a wide open Green (and a wide open KCP off the swing) with about 9 seconds to play. Danny just missed it. It eerily reminds me of Game 4 in 2002 when Horry hits that shot at the buzzer to win the game.

Reminds me of 2003 against SA, kickout to Horry with a few seconds to go, and it rattles in and out. Except in this case, the ball felt the cold, hard rim.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

Wind the clock down and shoot the mid range for the win and the ring would’ve been the epic play but given the situation he made the right basketball play. I guess you can call it too unselfish. We got the right look and missed - move on. In that situation Lebron never goes for the hero shot so I expected nothing less. If AD wasn’t hobbled maybe they put the ball in his hands and he goes for the glory but that wasn’t the case.

He takes the jumper and misses he gets crucified. He drives and makes the right play he gets crucified. It’s a make it or miss league, you live with the results.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject:

Right basketball play but no one would have been mad if he just dribbled into a jumper, he was on fire
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Why is it surprising to you that he didn't. Have you been watching him throughout his career?

Right. He's the kind of player who makes the right play in that situation instead of shooting over triple teams. This is very well documented.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Lebron did exactly what he should've done. Green missed a wide-open-like-he-was-in-an-empty-gym shot, then Kieff shat himself.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

huh have you been watching the games? Morris has been one of the most reliable shooters for us in these playoffs. I'd trust him to nail that catch and shoot 3 pointer at the top of the key any day over Green.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Because he was running the play Vogel drew up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: