Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 285, 286, 287 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I have mild cold symptoms. I tested negative for COVID (PCR test) yesterday. I'm puzzled as to how I could get a cold despite wearing N95 masks and people around me mostly masking.

COVID is mostly spread by airborne droplets sprayed into the air from the mouth or nose of an infected person. The common cold is easily transmitted by contact and surface contact. If someone else had a cold, touched their mouth or nose, then touched a surface (hand rail, door knob, grocery goods), and then you touched that surface after them, then touched your mouth or nose before washing your hands, then that's how it could happen.

(As a licensed food handler I had to take a state course which included how bacteria gets transferred. They did an experiment, unknown to the students, where they sprayed a small amount fluid on the doorknob entering the glass. The fluid was clear but contained a substance that would show up under a UV light. After all the students wandered in, talked to each other, got a cup of coffee, took their jackets off, etc. the instructor told us what he did. Then he turned off the light and turned on the UV light. The entire room was covered in purple dots where the small amount of substance had been spread. There was almost no surface that didn't have some finger print on it. The point was to shock us so we would understand how easily bacteria gets transferred, how quickly, and how widely dispersed even in a small room. Once you see that, you never forget it.)

Ugh, I thought surface transmission was a myth— but I guess that’s only specific to covid. It was probably either groceries or packages since I don’t take my mask off in public and wash my hands immediately when I go inside my apartment.

We’re lucky covid isn’t quite as contagious at the common cold.

I think Covid is as contagious if not more but in US, more than half of populations are vaccinated, probably more in cali especially in LA area. That's why (not accouting for severity), it's easier for the common cold to spread
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

<snip>

I think Covid is as contagious if not more but in US, more than half of populations are vaccinated, probably more in cali especially in LA area. That's why (not accouting for severity), it's easier for the common cold to spread

Contagious is different from infectious.

Contagious : spread (mostly) by contact
Infectious : spread (mostly) by infectious agents e.g. droplets, aerosols

Covid/Delta is one of the most *infectious* viruses ever but is (for whatever biophysical/initial-entrypoint reason) not as contagious as many other diseases.

HIV/herpes are examples of highly contagious diseases, one needs to avoid physical contact but doesn't need to wear masks/shield eyes around diseased people.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject:

There’s a difference between how transmissible something is and how it is transmitted. Delta is considered about twice as transmissible as the cold overall, but the cold is fairly easy to transmit via surfaces, where Delta is not.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
governator wrote:

<snip>

Covid/Delta is one of the most *infectious* viruses ever but is (for whatever biophysical/initial-entrypoint reason) not as contagious as many other diseases.

HIV/herpes are examples of highly contagious diseases, one needs to avoid physical contact but doesn't need to wear masks/shield eyes around diseased people.

Actually, infectious refers to something that is spread by a bacteria virus or other germ, and contagious means it is spread person to person. It is possible for something to be either neither of both. The cold and covid are both.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
governator wrote:

<snip>

Actually, infectious refers to something that is spread by a bacteria virus or other germ, and contagious means it is spread person to person. It is possible for something to be either neither of both. The cold and covid are both.

OK, my source was the following:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/gesundheit-is-that-cold-contagious-or-infectious

Quote:

Contagious vs Infectious
The crux of the distinction is this: contagious diseases are spread by contact, while infectious diseases are spread by infectious agents..

The terms are broad, and usage varies, so I have no issue with your definition as well.

My sole point is that while Covid is certainly one of the most transmissible diseases known, it does not transmit as easily via touch as a number of other diseases e.g. norovirus.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject:

And this is why we don't tolerate anti-vaxx gaslighting bull-(bleep) on this site.

NYT: U.S. Coronavirus Death Toll Surpasses 700,000 Despite Wide Availability of Vaccines

Quote:
The United States surpassed 700,000 deaths from the coronavirus on Friday, a milestone that few experts had anticipated months ago when vaccines became widely available to the American public.

An overwhelming majority of Americans who have died in recent months, a period in which the country has offered broad access to shots, were unvaccinated. The United States has had one of the highest recent death rates of any country with an ample supply of vaccines.

The new and alarming surge of deaths this summer means that the coronavirus pandemic has become the deadliest in American history, overtaking the toll from the influenza pandemic of 1918 and 1919, which killed about 675,000 people.

“This Delta wave just rips through the unvaccinated,” said Howard Markel, a medical historian at the University of Michigan. The deaths that have followed the wide availability of vaccines, he added, are “absolutely needless.”

Quote:
The recent virus deaths are distinct from those in previous chapters of the pandemic, an analysis by The New York Times shows. People who died in the last three and a half months were concentrated in the South, a region that has lagged in vaccinations; many of the deaths were reported in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas. And those who died were younger: In August, every age group under 55 had its highest death toll of the pandemic.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/01/politics/alabama-covid-relief-prison-bills-signed-governor-kay-ivey/index.html

Alabama going to use federal Covid relief $ to build more prisons. Anyone in agreement with this? If so, how do you sleep at night knowing you're f'en scumbag?
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

^Can’t believe those state officials said “it’s the right thing for Alabama to do,” perhaps they’ll be sentenced there for this travesty.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/01/politics/alabama-covid-relief-prison-bills-signed-governor-kay-ivey/index.html

Alabama going to use federal Covid relief $ to build more prisons. Anyone in agreement with this? If so, how do you sleep at night knowing you're f'en scumbag?

Maybe if she used the money for healthcare, education and child care (where they rank near the bottom nationally), she wouldn't have to build as many prisons. But that sums up Republicans in general -- they prefer to invest ZERO on the prevention end and focus on PUNISHMENT instead. Because they are mostly authoritarian sociopaths at their core.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
governator wrote:

<snip>

OK, my source was the following:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/gesundheit-is-that-cold-contagious-or-infectious

Quote:

Contagious vs Infectious
The crux of the distinction is this: contagious diseases are spread by contact, while infectious diseases are spread by infectious agents..

The terms are broad, and usage varies, so I have no issue with your definition as well.

My sole point is that while Covid is certainly one of the most transmissible diseases known, it does not transmit as easily via touch as a number of other diseases e.g. norovirus.

I think you just misread “by contact” to mean surfaces. A good example of infectious (spread by a “germ” or other bug) but not contagious is Lyme disease (spread by ticks but not from infected person to others).
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

Overheard on Twitter: "Facebook down for two hours -- U.S. now 95% vaccinated."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

Los Angeles passes one of the strictest COVID vaccine mandates in the US

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles City Council voted Wednesday to enact one of the nation's strictest vaccine mandates -- a sweeping measure that would require the shots for everyone entering a bar, restaurant, nail salon, gym or even a Lakers game.

The ordinance requires proof of full vaccination or a negative test within 72 hours for indoor restaurants, bars, gyms, shopping malls, entertainment venues (like the Staples Center) and personal care establishments (like nail salons) starting Nov. 4.

Retail establishments, including grocery stores and pharmacies, are not included.

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

That's is funny. But in all seriousness, that FB is a malignant metastatic tumor on society.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject:

Had my booster yesterday.

Everything seemed to be okay at first, but my arm really hurts this morning and I feel sick. Had to cancel class.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Had my booster yesterday.

Everything seemed to be okay at first, but my arm really hurts this morning and I feel sick. Had to cancel class.

Good news on getting it, but it's a bummer about the reaction. Hope you feel better soon.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Pfizer asks U.S. to allow COVID shots for kids ages 5 to 11

https://mobile.twitter.com/latimes/status/1446142024843939850
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

Now that the mask shortages for health professionals and necessary workers who have direct contract with people have abated, is anyone switching from their cloth masks to ones that offer better protection?

I visited a podiatrist last week and the receptionist requested I switch from my cloth mask to a disposable one they provided.

There are a lot of counterfeit N95 certified masks on Amazon and other sites. Here's a good article from the CDC on how to spot them.

LINK
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Now that the mask shortages for health professionals and necessary workers who have direct contract with people have abated, is anyone switching from their cloth masks to ones that offer better protection?

I visited a podiatrist last week and the receptionist requested I switch from my cloth mask to a disposable one they provided.

There are a lot of counterfeit N95 certified masks on Amazon and other sites. Here's a good article from the CDC on how to spot them.

LINK

Yea I switched to the Powecom KN95s awhile ago. I get them from Bonafide Masks.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

LINK

Yea I switched to the Powecom KN95s awhile ago. I get them from Bonafide Masks.

Yup. Been getting theirs for over a year now and they are always high quality, low price, and speedy delivery. I buy by the hundreds for my staff.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles City Council voted Wednesday to enact one of the nation's strictest vaccine mandates -- a sweeping measure that would require the shots for everyone entering a bar, restaurant, nail salon, gym or even a Lakers game.

The ordinance requires proof of full vaccination or a negative test within 72 hours for indoor restaurants, bars, gyms, shopping malls, entertainment venues (like the Staples Center) and personal care establishments (like nail salons) starting Nov. 4.

Retail establishments, including grocery stores and pharmacies, are not included.

Sounds good but I would hate to be a business owner and deal with the inevitable anti-vaxxer that loses their cool once they realize they can't enter the premises.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Anti-vax nutjob murders his brother, his brother's wife and family friend over the jab.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/high-school-sweethearts-raised-ideal-210500284.html
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
32 wrote:

Quote:

Sounds good but I would hate to be a business owner and deal with the inevitable anti-vaxxer that loses their cool once they realize they can't enter the premises.

Not going to be any different than the anti maskers we’ve all dealt with.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject:

California digital vaccine records. Sign up and they send you a link to your electronic receord. Hopefully some places will use this.

https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
California digital vaccine records. Sign up and they send you a link to your electronic receord. Hopefully some places will use this.

https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/

Done. Downloaded record to my Iphone. Thanks for the link. 👍🏾

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 285, 286, 287 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 286 of 318
Jump to: