Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 311, 312, 313 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject:

ABC News

(Another COVID-19 surge is 'extremely unlikely': White House COVID coordinator | ABC News)

Quote:
George Stephanopoulos interviews Dr. Ashish Jha on "This Week."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject:

From an East Coast doctor:

Hi, I'm back as Robin-Schoenthaler-the-Boston-cancer-doctor-who-writes-about-Covid.
(And it’s okay with me if you want to share.)
No question our BA.2 Omicron bit-of-a-surge is happening in the Northeast, and soon other parts of the country. The fact that BA.2 is sooooooo transmissible means Covid is once again playing havoc with our plans and our daily lives.
The good news is we’re not seeing a huge uptick in people who need to be hospitalized — as long as people are vaccinated. Unfortunately, unvaccinated and immunosuppressed people (especially those who haven’t yet gotten Evusheld) still can get super sick, need the ICU, etc.
I became suspicious about a surge last week because each day I received yet another text about a local friend or acquaintance who turned positive. I hadn’t gotten “a text a day” since the early days of Omicron so by mid-week I was starting to pay more attention.
Then earlier this week I felt “The Circle of Covid” start to tighten around my family and I began to worry about our holiday plans. I had so much hoped to finally have our usual Big Huge Easter Dinner!
But on Monday a couple of guests declined because of bad exposures to people who turned out to be unknowingly Covid positive. Two friends had Covid in their extended family. Then one of my invited guests got sick and had a positive Covid home test on Tuesday. Then one on Wednesday. Then another on Thursday. Then another today.
I was actually grocery shopping for the Easter meal when the third call came in. It was from a guest who has never ever called me from work. He called from work. I answered the phone already sick to my stomach. Sure, enough, he told me about his newly positive Covid test. At that point I realized 3/20 sick invitees had just gone over my comfort level and we were going to have to cancel.
One by one I took everything out of my cart and put it back on the shelves. Third Easter in a row, wrecked!
Curses, foiled again by this dang virus.
While I can feel the numbers of sick people increase around my family, it’s happening all over the Northeast, too.
Our absolute “numbers” haven’t gone up all that much but of course there’s so much home testing now, the numbers no longer can tell the whole story. Wastewater positivity is also still rising, although not precipitously.
The other thing happening right now is that we are seeing a late uptick in the flu, particularly Flu A, probably because so many people are unmasked.
I wanted to get a general “beyond-the-numbers” sense of things, so I asked some of my doctor friends what was happening in their Massachusetts clinics and hospitals.
Private practice: We’ve had a big increase in the past two weeks, including several who were symptomatic with negative antigen and positive PCR, which we hadn’t seen much before. Also continuing the pattern of testing antigen negative for the first few days of symptoms and then positive day 3 or 4. Don’t trust the first few days tests if symptomatic. Paxlovid had been easy to get so that is an improvement.
Adolescent medicine: This variant is the most contagious one I’ve seen yet. Mild symptoms - most people think it’s allergies but then test and it’s Covid. I’m seeing people test negative for 2-4 days with very mild symptoms and then positive. I’m grateful for affordable and accessible home tests. I’m also grateful for vaccines that keep most (but not all) from getting serious illness.
Family medicine: Myself, my husband, my 3.5 and 1.5 year old have COVID now. After cancelling Christmas due to exposure, we now have cancelled Easter. Half tested positive Sunday, the other half not until Thursday. Relatively mild symptoms except exhausted (compounded by the 1.5 year old not sleeping!).
Pediatrician: We went a couple of weeks without any patients testing positive but now are starting to see positives again. Three staff members were out with Covid last week. Also lots of Flu A. We think there’s more flu because a lot of people thought numbers would be low like last year and didn’t get flu vaccines. But then….the Great Unmasking!
Emergency medicine: We're seeing more influenza A than COVID right now, but definitely more COVID than people realize. People think it's not a thing right now, but it is most definitely a thing — and rising — and everyone should be protecting themselves.
Surgeon: My 85 year old in-laws who only go to the grocery store have it…
Hospitalist: When I worked last weekend, I had more sick/hypoxic (needing oxygen) flu A patients than Covid patients. The Covid patients I’ve seen haven’t been terribly sick for the most part, but there does seem to be an uptick.
Pediatric urgent care: 97% of my day is "fever and cough.” Pretty much everyone has a 103-104 fever! A lot have turned out to be the flu. Occasionally Covid but usually with a known exposure. We are also seeing some combinations (Covid/RSV) and my kid’s school had their first positives in a month.
Pediatrician: Lots of flu A, some Covid. So many kids with 103-104 fevers (some with respiratory symptoms, some not) but who test negative for Flu/covid. This is kids from babies to teenagers. Not sure what it is. Plus some diarrhea/vomiting mixed in.
Private practice: I had Covid last week for the first time. I believe I got it when we were both wearing a surgical mask. I’m still wearing N95 masks for all patient encounters. I took Paxlovid which leaves a horrible metallic after taste in your mouth, but was otherwise fine to take.
Cardiology: My sister is vaccinated and boosted but has had it twice: Jan 4 and April 6. The first time we couldn’t get her Paxlovid and she was miserable for 2-3 weeks. The second time around she got it prescribed from an online doctor and she was only sick for one day.
ER doc: We are amidst Passover, Easter, and school break…for those of us still trying to avoid COVID…hold onto your pants - it’s gonna get rough.
So. Lessons from the ground:
—If you have any exposures, test.
—If you have even the mildest of symptoms, test.
—If you have significant symptoms, get tested for Flu A as well
—And then test again.
—And maybe test again.
—If you’re immunosuppressed, this is a good time for Evusheld.
—If you’re high risk, this may be a good time for a booster.
—If you’re high risk and get Covid, talk to your doctor about Paxlovid (or sometimes the monoclonal called bebtelovimab), both of which are incredibly effective at keeping you out of the hospital (and locally very available)
—If you take Paxlovid, be prepared for a metallic taste in your mouth. Gum and hard candies and bubbly water, especially Coke, can help (apologies, dentists!) and it will go away a couple days after the five-day course. And it will keep you out of the hospital!
But the “Circle of Covid” may tighten around you anyways, no matter what you do. Like the ER doc said, “Hold onto your pants!” (ER docs always have good advice). And be ready to take additional precautions and cancel stuff once again. Here’s hoping for a small surge, a beautiful spring, and a 2023 full of non-cancelled events!

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephaniesarkis/2022/04/18/judge-in-cdc-mask-ruling-was-rated-not-qualified-by-aba/amp/
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(‘Trump As A Federal Judge’: CDC Mask Rule Nixed By Trump-Picked Judge)

Quote:
MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell speaks to MSNBC political analysts Claire McCaskill and Eugene Robinson about the federal judge who ended the CDC mask rule for public transit, underscoring why elections matter so much when it comes to judicial appointments.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(COVID Isn’t Over. So Why Are We Pretending? | The Mehdi Hasan Show)

Quote:
Case numbers are rising, hundreds of people are dying daily and COVID is continuing to spread. So why are we declaring the pandemic over, and what happened to all being in this together? Mehdi is joined by Yale associate professor and public health correspondent Gregg Gonsalves to discuss.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:13 am    Post subject:

NMLaker wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephaniesarkis/2022/04/18/judge-in-cdc-mask-ruling-was-rated-not-qualified-by-aba/amp/

the effect has started regardless. New Jersey Transit is now optional with NYC MTA is also 'considering'. I believe airline is about to be optional as well. I would invest on N95s if traveling
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
NMLaker wrote:

the effect has started regardless. New Jersey Transit is now optional with NYC MTA is also 'considering'. I believe airline is about to be optional as well. I would invest on N95s if traveling

Just checked, airlines, amtrak and Uber are all also optional now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject:

It's Spring Vacation week with tons of people officially traveling maskless. What could go wrong?
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Is It Safe To Be On A Plane Without A Mask?)

Quote:
Is it safe to be on a plane without a mask? Dr. Kavita Patel explains to José Díaz-Balart the risks of flying without a mask. Dr. Patel gives her advice for next time you travel.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
It's Spring Vacation week with tons of people officially traveling maskless. What could go wrong?

Add to that, our airport here in Seattle opened it's brand new international arrivals terminal today . . . like you ask, what could go wrong?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Toobin 'baffled' by DOJ statement on travel mask mandate ruling)

Quote:
CNN chief legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin reacts to the Justice Department announcing it will appeal a court ruling that struck down the federal government’s mask mandate for travelers, but only if the CDC determines the mandate is still necessary to protect public health.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Add to that, our airport here in Seattle opened it's brand new international arrivals terminal today . . . like you ask, what could go wrong?

What could go wrong: In our small community, 10 employees at one of the local markets here have tested positive for Covid since Easter Sunday . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Just checked, airlines, amtrak and Uber are all also optional now

That ruling’s getting appealed (thankfully), CDC says mask mandate “remains necessary for the public health."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-appeal-mask-mandate-end-justice-department/

This past week in LA, seems like there are fewer and fewer people wearing masks whenever I’m in stores or just out and about. That will likely change sometime after spring break. Not ditching my Powecom KN95s, 8210s, Aura N95s anytime soon.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

What could go wrong: In our small community, 10 employees at one of the local markets here have tested positive for Covid since Easter Sunday . . .

Not good. I drove to Cape Cod for a short getaway this week. It's actually not crowded here yet. But only "older" people seem to be masking up. No one else is bothering, either indoors or outdoors. Since I'm "old" I wear mine regardless. At least no one gives me the side eye.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
From an East Coast doctor:

Hi, I'm back as Robin-Schoenthaler-the-Boston-cancer-doctor-who-writes-about-Covid.
(And it’s okay with me if you want to share.)
No question our BA.2 Omicron bit-of-a-surge is happening in the Northeast, and soon other parts of the country. The fact that BA.2 is sooooooo transmissible means Covid is once again playing havoc with our plans and our daily lives.
The good news is we’re not seeing a huge uptick in people who need to be hospitalized — as long as people are vaccinated. Unfortunately, unvaccinated and immunosuppressed people (especially those who haven’t yet gotten Evusheld) still can get super sick, need the ICU, etc.
I became suspicious about a surge last week because each day I received yet another text about a local friend or acquaintance who turned positive. I hadn’t gotten “a text a day” since the early days of Omicron so by mid-week I was starting to pay more attention.
Then earlier this week I felt “The Circle of Covid” start to tighten around my family and I began to worry about our holiday plans. I had so much hoped to finally have our usual Big Huge Easter Dinner!
But on Monday a couple of guests declined because of bad exposures to people who turned out to be unknowingly Covid positive. Two friends had Covid in their extended family. Then one of my invited guests got sick and had a positive Covid home test on Tuesday. Then one on Wednesday. Then another on Thursday. Then another today.
I was actually grocery shopping for the Easter meal when the third call came in. It was from a guest who has never ever called me from work. He called from work. I answered the phone already sick to my stomach. Sure, enough, he told me about his newly positive Covid test. At that point I realized 3/20 sick invitees had just gone over my comfort level and we were going to have to cancel.
One by one I took everything out of my cart and put it back on the shelves. Third Easter in a row, wrecked!
Curses, foiled again by this dang virus.
While I can feel the numbers of sick people increase around my family, it’s happening all over the Northeast, too.
Our absolute “numbers” haven’t gone up all that much but of course there’s so much home testing now, the numbers no longer can tell the whole story. Wastewater positivity is also still rising, although not precipitously.
The other thing happening right now is that we are seeing a late uptick in the flu, particularly Flu A, probably because so many people are unmasked.
I wanted to get a general “beyond-the-numbers” sense of things, so I asked some of my doctor friends what was happening in their Massachusetts clinics and hospitals.
Private practice: We’ve had a big increase in the past two weeks, including several who were symptomatic with negative antigen and positive PCR, which we hadn’t seen much before. Also continuing the pattern of testing antigen negative for the first few days of symptoms and then positive day 3 or 4. Don’t trust the first few days tests if symptomatic. Paxlovid had been easy to get so that is an improvement.
Adolescent medicine: This variant is the most contagious one I’ve seen yet. Mild symptoms - most people think it’s allergies but then test and it’s Covid. I’m seeing people test negative for 2-4 days with very mild symptoms and then positive. I’m grateful for affordable and accessible home tests. I’m also grateful for vaccines that keep most (but not all) from getting serious illness.
Family medicine: Myself, my husband, my 3.5 and 1.5 year old have COVID now. After cancelling Christmas due to exposure, we now have cancelled Easter. Half tested positive Sunday, the other half not until Thursday. Relatively mild symptoms except exhausted (compounded by the 1.5 year old not sleeping!).
Pediatrician: We went a couple of weeks without any patients testing positive but now are starting to see positives again. Three staff members were out with Covid last week. Also lots of Flu A. We think there’s more flu because a lot of people thought numbers would be low like last year and didn’t get flu vaccines. But then….the Great Unmasking!
Emergency medicine: We're seeing more influenza A than COVID right now, but definitely more COVID than people realize. People think it's not a thing right now, but it is most definitely a thing — and rising — and everyone should be protecting themselves.
Surgeon: My 85 year old in-laws who only go to the grocery store have it…
Hospitalist: When I worked last weekend, I had more sick/hypoxic (needing oxygen) flu A patients than Covid patients. The Covid patients I’ve seen haven’t been terribly sick for the most part, but there does seem to be an uptick.
Pediatric urgent care: 97% of my day is "fever and cough.” Pretty much everyone has a 103-104 fever! A lot have turned out to be the flu. Occasionally Covid but usually with a known exposure. We are also seeing some combinations (Covid/RSV) and my kid’s school had their first positives in a month.
Pediatrician: Lots of flu A, some Covid. So many kids with 103-104 fevers (some with respiratory symptoms, some not) but who test negative for Flu/covid. This is kids from babies to teenagers. Not sure what it is. Plus some diarrhea/vomiting mixed in.
Private practice: I had Covid last week for the first time. I believe I got it when we were both wearing a surgical mask. I’m still wearing N95 masks for all patient encounters. I took Paxlovid which leaves a horrible metallic after taste in your mouth, but was otherwise fine to take.
Cardiology: My sister is vaccinated and boosted but has had it twice: Jan 4 and April 6. The first time we couldn’t get her Paxlovid and she was miserable for 2-3 weeks. The second time around she got it prescribed from an online doctor and she was only sick for one day.
ER doc: We are amidst Passover, Easter, and school break…for those of us still trying to avoid COVID…hold onto your pants - it’s gonna get rough.
So. Lessons from the ground:
—If you have any exposures, test.
—If you have even the mildest of symptoms, test.
—If you have significant symptoms, get tested for Flu A as well
—And then test again.
—And maybe test again.
—If you’re immunosuppressed, this is a good time for Evusheld.
—If you’re high risk, this may be a good time for a booster.
—If you’re high risk and get Covid, talk to your doctor about Paxlovid (or sometimes the monoclonal called bebtelovimab), both of which are incredibly effective at keeping you out of the hospital (and locally very available)
—If you take Paxlovid, be prepared for a metallic taste in your mouth. Gum and hard candies and bubbly water, especially Coke, can help (apologies, dentists!) and it will go away a couple days after the five-day course. And it will keep you out of the hospital!
But the “Circle of Covid” may tighten around you anyways, no matter what you do. Like the ER doc said, “Hold onto your pants!” (ER docs always have good advice). And be ready to take additional precautions and cancel stuff once again. Here’s hoping for a small surge, a beautiful spring, and a 2023 full of non-cancelled events!

Do you have a link for this? It seems like they are on top of the latest info.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Not good. I drove to Cape Cod for a short getaway this week. It's actually not crowded here yet. But only "older" people seem to be masking up. No one else is bothering, either indoors or outdoors. Since I'm "old" I wear mine regardless. At least no one gives me the side eye.

You and me both (about the masks and the "old" ). Pretty much the same here in regards to mask wearing. That market is the only public place I have been inside for about 2 weeks now. Just about everyone over 50 is wearing masks, with some younger ones mixed in. The staff is about 50/50 on mask wearing and evenly distributed amongst the age range. Very glad my daughter, who works there, is always wearing her mask. We're self testing her as she as she gets back from her shift tonight.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:

It's a friend's share from FB. I'll see if she can get me to the original feed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Eat at Chach in P-Town for me. Especially if they're back open for breakfast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Eat at Chach in P-Town for me. Especially if they're back open for breakfast.

I didn't make it all the way to P-Town this trip but I'll put it on my list for next time! Their website says they're open and the food looks great.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:

Thank you.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:

Thank you.

The Doctor's Feed
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:

Thank you.

The Doctor's Feed
Got it, thanks.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I didn't make it all the way to P-Town this trip but I'll put it on my list for next time! Their website says they're open and the food looks great.

I think the single best breakfast I had anywhere, ever was their scallops Benedict.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject:

2 years ago.

Quote:
"The disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. It gets in the lungs" -- Trump seems to suggests that injecting disinfectant inside people could be a treatment for the coronavirus https://t.co/amis9Rphsm

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1253448500676898818?t=6RlIjB_0ygzaNCfZ2AQ65g&s=19
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
2 years ago.

Quote:
"The disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. It gets in the lungs" -- Trump seems to suggests that injecting disinfectant inside people could be a treatment for the coronavirus https://t.co/amis9Rphsm

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1253448500676898818?t=6RlIjB_0ygzaNCfZ2AQ65g&s=19

Not to mention the blasts of ultraviolet light, somehow inside the body.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 311, 312, 313 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 312 of 318
Jump to: