Lakers vs Pelicans 3-1-2020, Thoughts and Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Lakers vs Pelicans 3-1-2020, Thoughts and Ratings

Anthony Davis is out, returning to his former team. Sure that changed plans for the Lakers, but I guess more experimentation before the playoffs.

Pelicans are an excting young team led by Zion, with supporting talent like all-star Ingram and all-star caliber Holiday. They want a track meet. We want to get the ball inside and be physical with them. Initially it was a track meet. The Pels were having their way in the paint. Lebron was relentless. He willed the Lakers to get the lead multiple times in just the 1st half. Once the Pelicans failed to figure out how to defend Lebron (and we made some smart adjustments in how we used him in 1st and 2nd half) while we adjusted very well to defending Ingram and denying Zion off the ball plays in the 2nd half, we had control of this game in all the minutes Lebron played in the 2nd half. In Lebron minutes we outscored the Pels by 22. WITHOUT, AD. That is how good this Laker team can be when focused. And tonight we got that focus (and the usual Rondo inspired screw ups with the 2nd unit sans Lebron). Lakers won 122-114 against a spirited, talented, Pelicans team that has an emerging superstar in Zion, and an all-star caliber wing in Ingram.

Lebron Much more focus to start this one. Very sharp. Tough step back 3 on Ingram. Some powerful drives and finishes in traffic. Post move. When he went to the bench, Lakers were up a few points. Within a minute, the Lakers were down. That is how important he is when he plays well. Again, went out in the 2nd Q, Lakers up 1, within 1 minute, Lakers down 5. Came back in, and helped Lakes to regain the lead. Answered a Zion thrown down that had the crowd in a frezny with a long distance 3. Great job, helped LA go into the half with the lead. 3rd Q, more of the same. Just dominating the PG spot, understanding what and why he is running the O. Complete contrast to last nights game. There is a constant method behind this game by LBJ. Beautiful to watch. Began to lose his way a bit, too passive maybe, but then after he came back in from the break, he was in post up mode and it was a clinic. Drawing doubles and kick outs. Or just backing his man down, and then finding the driving lane. Once again, took the lead back for the Lakers (the 4th time maybe). The post up sets we ran with Lebron reminded me a lot of the stuff Kobe and MJ ran late in their careers. A lot of options when you have a post up player in the wing mode. Unlike bigs, who usually just back down (and can have tunnel vision), all time wings with guard skills like Kobe-MJ-Bron, find the open man and also are threats to dribble back out to the 3 point line, shoot the 3, take a turnaround jumper, pivot and drive to the basket, or just back down all the way and a post move ala traditional big man. It is very enjoyable to watch when ran right, like we ran today. Lebron finihshed with 34 points 13 assists 12 boards and was a +22. Unreal game. Lakers fan need to thank heaven this dude chose to play his last great years with us. We have been so lucky to watch Magic, Kobe, and now Lebron.

Kuzma Got the start with AD out. Two drives where he beat his man, and got a wide open lane for a dunk. However it did not seem Kuz established himself the way we would like as the second option. Struggled on D against Zion. An amazing spin move for the AND1 play. Kuzma always shows these scoring skills that make you think he could be a top 20 scorer in the league if he put it together, but it does not seem he can. Zion was just murdering him in the post. Can not fault Kuz, that is a guy who is more athletic than Kuz and has 50 pounds on him 3rd Q, we begin to see Kuzma get that 2nd option look and feel going on. It really suits him a lot more than the bench role. Still having issues with Zion, but he is competing. Some nice sets to get Kuzma on the move. We should run more of those. Kuzma 3 ball is really hurting him, Teams are sagging off him, knowing he will drive. He has to step up and take those 3s and if not, swing the ball. It stalls our offense when Kuzma hesitates. Need Kuzma to attack Zion off the dribble, to go back at him, for the mismatch, but Kuzma was not as aggressive as I would have liked against Zion. Late in the game, Kuzma hit a big 3, off a Lebron kick out from the post. Any guess which spot - yep, the corner. His numbers are so different from the corner 3 vs the wing. In a way that is why it is great we got Morris, Morris is a good wing shooting 3, and Kuzma is a good corner 3. Could be a nice complement to AD for a 2nd unit front court (or even Dwight). Kuz finished with 20 points and was a +11

Bradley was attacking the rim very well. Unfortunately not converting. When both Bradley and Green do not hit their outside shots, we are in trouble. Hit a corner 3 in the 3rd Q, we need more of those AB. Good defensive coverage on Ingram. Continuing to make some impact with defensive plays. And hitting a spot up 3 in transition, and making a dunk off a steal. Ordinary game from Bradley, but like with Green, you feel Frank is making the right call by starting him. His defense helps this team a lot. Some of the stuff he had on Ingram today were incredible. Bradley finished with 10 points and was a +5,

McGee Horrible post move early on. He should refrain from that. First stint was a bleh, second stint was a lot better. He defended the rim well and then ran the floor well. Good energy. We need McGee to start the games with that energy, same kind of energy Dwight brings. 3rd Q, great rim protection, stuffed Ingram a few times. Got to play again late in the game with Howard having 5 fouls and his rim protection was useful again. Turned out to be a great game by McGee. Finished with 8 points, 6 blocks and was a +6.

Green Had open looks, missed. Second stint same thing, only was able to convert 1. Move forward to the 3rd Q - Made a tough runner where he was falling down. Hit a 3 pointer in the 2nd half. Ordinary game by Green, but he is our best fit at 2 guard Finished with 10 points, and was a +0.

BENCH

Morris Came in and hit a wing 3 right away. Still figuring things out on defense. Second stint was at 5, a little disaster, so Vogel sent in McGee, Morris back at the 4, where he was much more comfortable. Created a shot in the post, and made another one. Defensively, he was doing much better against Zion. 3rd Q comes in and hits a wing 3 right off a Lebron feed (love that). Morris finished the game with 10 points (in only 15 min) but was a -9.

KCP Decent D coming in, and hit a 3 point off a Lebron kick out (really important we hit those shots to make defenses pay). Made some plays within openings, when Pels were not paying attention. I like KCP, he is a really solid 2-way role player. Great effort on challenging Zion on the dribble, forcing the jump ball (which Lakers won). Good overall game by KCP. Pope finished the game with 13 points, 3 steals and was a +9.

Rondo Horrible start, as soon as he came in, Lakers lost the lead with LBJ sitting. Hit a mid-range J off a Dwight screen. Recovered a bit after. Made a driving layup. But the game only got back on track when LBJ came back in. 3rd Q, same story as the first half. When Lebron sits, the Lakers blow the lead. I can not put this all on Rondo, as we were not able to do much better when Cook was running the point in this game. But for now, he is the one that Vogel goes to, to run the O, and it has been constantly failing. I see some hope with Morris now part of the 2nd unit, he gives us a different look. Rondo finished the game with 4 points and was a -5.

Dwight Great energy and putbacks in the paint. Loving Dwights effort. Every game he is bringing it. You feel the lift right away from McGee to Dwight. Were missing him on some plays, where he had a great scoring chance inside. 2 great sequences on Zion, did not let Zion blow by him, and stripped him off the ball. Great D. 3rd Q, Dwight was getting frustrated with the Pelicans backup 5, and picked up a T. Some fouling. The usual. 2nd half, Dwight got taken out with the officiating. Regardless, he needs to stay physical, but he also needs to stay calm. Had to send McGee back in, becauss Dwight picked up his 5th foul. Howard finished with 8 points, 6 boards and was a +8.

Cook Got minutes to come in with Caruso out. Was doing some good things on offense. Sank a wing 3 off a Lebron post up double team kick out. Tried to make something happen with Lebron on the bench, but like with Rondo at PG, it just did not work for us. Cook is best playing off Lebron. Once again came in the 3rd with the 2nd unit sans Lebron, and it was not good for us. Cook had a decent run when he had some 4th Q minutes with Bron. Not surprising. Quinn finished with 5 points and was a -7.

Coaching:

Vogel went with Kuzma, I would have probably tried Morris to start, because I want Kuzma to establish some rhythm as a bench player. But it worked, as Lakers outscored Pels. Only when Lebron sat, did we lose the lead. Brought both Cook and Rondo, in the 1st Q with Caruso out. Tried Morris at the 5 again, but like in Memphis did not work, too many rebounds and 2nd chance points given up. Much better when we ran Lebron at the point, Morris at the 4, Dwight in the middle with 2 shooting guards.

The +: We saw a lot more from Morris, and the Lebron offense we run saw some dynamic post up play, which is different from handling the ball outside. The way we used LBJ in this one, similar to Kobe in the Triangle, where he would start off outside but as the game winded, they went more into the post for offense. When you have LBJ in the post, it is different from traditional post ups (bigs) in that you have a point guard in there, one that can drive, shoot, pass, or back all the way down for a post up move. Very Kobe, MJ like. Great coaching and decision making there.

The -: Rondo. Geez, The Rondo run 2nd units, are just not delivering. Unfortunately when Cook ran point for a bit in one stint, it went just as bad. #1 thing we need going into next season is a dynamic point guard that can handle the ball for the 2nd unit, when Lebron sits. For now we have to just keep running the reps and I do think Morris is showing some of the things we were hoping Cousins would bring. He has a post game and he can shoot from outside. If we sign Waiters, suddenly we have a 2nd unit that could feature AD, Morris, Kuzma, Waiters on it, which is 4 guys who are all impact scorers in the league. Until then though, pretty bad management of the 2nd unit in this one, by Frank, We coughed up the lead every single time Lebron sat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject:

WOW! That was fast!!

Thanks wolf.
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Thanks
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
WOW! That was fast!!

Thanks wolf.

I take notes and do the write ups during the time outs. Like it that way. I had some time this weekend to fill in for DB. Thank goodness the Lakers were good to me tonight. Did not want to cover another crap effort.

Instead we got an inspired Lebron effort, and a classic old school game, I loved it. Was a very fun game to watch.

I was tempted to give a TnR on Ingram, Ball and Hart, but I resisted. Some of the fans still not too happy about them being gone (mainly Ingram),

Have to say, Zion is the most physically taxing cover in the league at that PF-C position since Shaq. Not saying he will be as good. But THAT is what a franchise player looks like. If we had drafted a kid like that between 2014-17, I totally would have been for patience and waiting it out, even in the Lebron years. Sort of like how it was worth waiting on Bean. You know. Some talents you just feel them, it is only a matter of time, and they will lead you to great places. Did not ever get that with the guys that we have traded (or even drafted). Zion, though. Pels really lucked out, man,

Zion, Doncic, Trae maybe, those talents are worth waiting for and losing seasons. IMO, obviously.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
pio2u wrote:
WOW! That was fast!!

Thanks wolf.

I take notes and do the write ups during the time outs. Like it that way. I had some time this weekend to fill in for DB. Thank goodness the Lakers were good to me tonight. Did not want to cover another crap effort.

Instead we got an inspired Lebron effort, and a classic old school game, I loved it. Was a very fun game to watch.

I was tempted to give a TnR on Ingram, Ball and Hart, but I resisted. Some of the fans still not too happy about them being gone (mainly Ingram),

Have to say, Zion is the most physically taxing cover in the league at that PF-C position since Shaq. Not saying he will be as good. But THAT is what a franchise player looks like. If we had drafted a kid like that between 2014-17, I totally would have been for patience and waiting it out, even in the Lebron years. Sort of like how it was worth waiting on Bean. You know. Some talents you just feel them, it is only a matter of time, and they will lead you to great places. Did not ever get that with the guys that we have traded (or even drafted). Zion, though. Pels really lucked out, man,

Zion, Doncic, Trae maybe, those talents are worth waiting for and losing seasons. IMO, obviously.

hehe

Thanks Wolf!
I think LBJ could guard Zion very well and he did on a few times tonight. Kuz will feel it tomorrow after wrestling with Zion all night lol
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject:

^^^ That charge Kuz took was brutal. He was lucky there was a guy behind him to break his fall otherwise he would have gone flying.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
^^^ That charge Kuz took was brutal. He was lucky there was a guy behind him to break his fall otherwise he would have gone flying.

Was not the smartest idea to have Kuz on Zion. Morris, Lebron and Dwight should have been in the game at all times Zion was, to match up with him.

I think Lebron-Dwight did the best job on Zion. Morris did ok.

In a playoff setting, I would not put Kuzma up against Zion. Zion has 50 lbs of power on Kuz and even more athleticism.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Wolf!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Wolf!

I'm assuming we start McGee because we're afraid of Dwight picking up early fouls, but I'd like to see how we look with their roles/minutes reversed.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Foul disparity, Laker 26, Pelicans 11. Not sure I've ever seen a gap that large.
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Broken record, of course, but I really appreciate these write-ups. They're so helpful when I have to miss a game.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Foul disparity, Laker 26, Pelicans 11. Not sure I've ever seen a gap that large.

Zion 13 FTA, entire Laker team 10

Really have to dig to find that sort of disparity in favor of a Rookie.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject:

Admirable job Wolf. I kept switching back and forth between the game and TWD (EST thing). By the 4th qtr the game had my undivided attention. Nice win especially with AD out. I'm rooting for Kuz to become the guy everyone wants him to be. The one young guy who got left behind in the swap for AD.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject:

Admirable job Wolf. I kept switching back and forth between the game and TWD (EST thing). By the 4th qtr the game had my undivided attention. Nice win especially with AD out. I'm rooting for Kuz to become the guy everyone wants him to be. The one young guy who got left behind in the swap for AD.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:06 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Wolf!
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject:

Thanks Wolf!
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Was not the smartest idea to have Kuz on Zion. Morris, Lebron and Dwight should have been in the game at all times Zion was, to match up with him.

I think Lebron-Dwight did the best job on Zion. Morris did ok.

In a playoff setting, I would not put Kuzma up against Zion. Zion has 50 lbs of power on Kuz and even more athleticism.

This. I think I can only name one instance where Kuz did a good job of bodying Zion to let the ball go out of bounds, the rest of the game when they were matched up Zion seemed to absolutely dominate

LeBron and Morris IMO are the perfect matchups for him, with Dwight as a help at the rim if need be
#18 next...
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject:

Btw Zion FTA tracker versus entire Laker team:

In 2 games Zion has 32 FTA: entire Laker team 31

Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject:

Thanks Wolf!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Hey Wolf I know I'm posting this a bit late, but good write-up!! I appreciate the time, detail and insights you put into this.

Yeah, covering Zion's gotta feel like getting hit by a truck repeatedly.

Good to see the Lakers come away with the W!
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: