jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
I can NOT believe the scarcity of gaming/computer gear right now. It's insanity. No 3070s, 3080s or 3090s to be found anywhere. No Ryzen 5000s available anywhere. PS5's probably out until the new year.

Even a damn SFX power supply. I had a Platinum Corsair SF750 in my cart for $150 before Corona. They can not be found except off ebay for 2x+ that price. Who knew how many people it turned into do it yourself PC gamers

I stopped by MicroCenter today because I need a new SD card and the ones they sell at checkout are dirt cheap. They had 10 minute queue that wrapped around the building. The wait wasn't the issue for me...I could see through their doors that it was packed with morons inside, so I walked right back to my car, but I overheard that they receive 15 3080 units every day and they sell out before the 5 minute mark.

Lol. Bro I was JUST there yesterday around 3 in the afternoon. Their website showed some AMD 5800x and 5900x cpu's in stock. The line was wrapped around the building.

This really sucks. I'm a patient guy but I really wanted to have my new rig up and running before Cyberpunk 2077 is released. I've got ~ a month to go and still need cpu/mobo/SFX psu/gfx card. My current I7-6700K/RTX 2070 super should be able to run it extremely well but for a title like this, I want the bells and whistles.

If you're interested I've got a spare 3080 sc coming in from evga in December through their step up program if you don't have one already by then. I'll sell it you for the receipt price. I managed to pick up a 3090 along the way and decided to go with it. As for anything microcenter related. Unless you're willing to line up the day before around 6 pm forget about it. There are anti maskers there and the people there are so gross there's something we had to create a hashtag called #sh1tgate for one of the incidents.

Bruh! 100000000000000%! Dude, I can't tell you how much I'd appreciate that!
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject:

Observations after roughly one week of owning the PS5:
- Disc is hot after running a 4K blu-ray movie (watching in roughly 30min to one hour spurts)
- Dolby Vision not supported
- Startup time for games: 5-10 seconds from inserting the disc; usually, 5 seconds or less to load a game after reaching the title screen
- Demon's Souls crashed twice in the Nexus shortly after loading the game so far; patch installed a few days ago, no crashes since then. (rare) slight stuttering of 60 FPS framerate in certain areas. game froze a couple of times on me in random areas with no enemies around.
- Spiderman Miles Morales runs flawlessly so far with 0 crashes or freezes
- NBA2k21: wow, words do not do the game justice in terms of realism other than a few obviously off parts: for instance, LeBron doing a shoulder shimmy celebration after dunking on someone
- Closing game through the PS5 app switcher and removing the disc before entering rest mode each day; no SSD corruption or rebuild issues thus far (fortunately) after multiple system updates.

Edit: You can also control movies in terms of pause/play/subtitles on the PS5 with some Sony TV remotes (comes in handy if you have your controller set to auto shut off)
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
- Disc is hot after running a 4K blu-ray movie (watching in roughly 30min to one hour spurts)
- Startup time for games: 5-10 seconds from inserting the disc; usually, 5 seconds or less to load a game after reaching the title screen
- Demon's Souls crashed twice in the Nexus shortly after loading the game so far; patch installed a few days ago, no crashes since then. (rare) slight stuttering of 60 FPS framerate in certain areas. game froze a couple of times on me in random areas with no enemies around.
- NBA2k21: wow, words do not do the game justice in terms of realism other than a few obviously off parts: for instance, LeBron doing a shoulder shimmy celebration after dunking on someone
- Closing game through the PS5 app switcher and removing the disc before entering rest mode each day; no SSD corruption or rebuild issues thus far (fortunately) after multiple system updates.

Edit: You can also control movies in terms of pause/play/subtitles on the PS5 with some Sony TV remotes (comes in handy if you have your controller set to auto shut off)

How long does it take from power off to showing the main menu?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
I can NOT believe the scarcity of gaming/computer gear right now. It's insanity. No 3070s, 3080s or 3090s to be found anywhere. No Ryzen 5000s available anywhere. PS5's probably out until the new year.

Even a damn SFX power supply. I had a Platinum Corsair SF750 in my cart for $150 before Corona. They can not be found except off ebay for 2x+ that price. Who knew how many people it turned into do it yourself PC gamers

I stopped by MicroCenter today because I need a new SD card and the ones they sell at checkout are dirt cheap. They had 10 minute queue that wrapped around the building. The wait wasn't the issue for me...I could see through their doors that it was packed with morons inside, so I walked right back to my car, but I overheard that they receive 15 3080 units every day and they sell out before the 5 minute mark.

Lol. Bro I was JUST there yesterday around 3 in the afternoon. Their website showed some AMD 5800x and 5900x cpu's in stock. The line was wrapped around the building.

This really sucks. I'm a patient guy but I really wanted to have my new rig up and running before Cyberpunk 2077 is released. I've got ~ a month to go and still need cpu/mobo/SFX psu/gfx card. My current I7-6700K/RTX 2070 super should be able to run it extremely well but for a title like this, I want the bells and whistles.

If you're interested I've got a spare 3080 sc coming in from evga in December through their step up program if you don't have one already by then. I'll sell it you for the receipt price. I managed to pick up a 3090 along the way and decided to go with it. As for anything microcenter related. Unless you're willing to line up the day before around 6 pm forget about it. There are anti maskers there and the people there are so gross there's something we had to create a hashtag called #sh1tgate for one of the incidents.

Wow, 6pm the night before is what people are doing for those cards?

Please tell shidgate story.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Wow, 6pm the night before is what people are doing for those cards?

Please tell shidgate story.

Ask and you shall receive.

https://i.gyazo.com/cc1e26c246e0a0505296f4eb9d6841c1.png
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject:

I enjoyed my PS3. I currently enjoy my PS4. And I'll get the PS5. But I'm not in any rush.
The games just aren't there yet. Hitman 3 in January will probably motivate me to buy one.
Really it's all the other uses that make playstations smart investments to me. They play most streaming apps. They play most music and video formats on it. They are the only disc players I own. Which is sometimes handy if a friend or family member has something on disc they wanna come over and watch.

The fact that it doesn't have a web browser is beyond disappointing. But there are workarounds for that.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I enjoyed my PS3. I currently enjoy my PS4. And I'll get the PS5. But I'm not in any rush.
The games just aren't there yet. Hitman 3 in January will probably motivate me to buy one.
Really it's all the other uses that make playstations smart investments to me. They play most streaming apps. They play most music and video formats on it. They are the only disc players I own. Which is sometimes handy if a friend or family member has something on disc they wanna come over and watch.

The fact that it doesn't have a web browser is beyond disappointing. But there are workarounds for that.

If you're not dead set on PS exclusives, join the PC Master Race. There are some pretty bad ass cases/builds that people are putting together for their TV setup.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
If you're not dead set on PS exclusives, join the PC Master Race. There are some pretty bad ass cases/builds that people are putting together for their TV setup.
There aren't any exclusives I'm dead set on.
But really I like the convenience of sitting on my couch with a PS remote and being able to watch almost anything.
I guess I could use a wireless mouse and keyboard connected to PC build (which is then connected to my TV wirelessly).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
There aren't any exclusives I'm dead set on.
But really I like the convenience of sitting on my couch with a PS remote and being able to watch almost anything.
I guess I could use a wireless mouse and keyboard connected to PC build (which is then connected to my TV wirelessly).

Dude, let's do this. What is your objective? We'll see if we can get a build that fulfills it and more.

Just fyi, there's an adapter for an Xbox controller to use on the PC. Probably ione out there for PS if you like their range of controllers.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Dude, let's do this. What is your objective? We'll see if we can get a build that fulfills it and more.

Just fyi, there's an adapter for an Xbox controller to use on the PC. Probably ione out there for PS if you like their range of controllers.

Without having to get off my couch I want to go to and from using all these things on my TV.

1) Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube
2) Spotify, play Blu-ray discs
3) A strong enough internet browser to stream from all sites without trouble.

Right now, with my ps4, I do #1 and #2 easily. #3 I can do on some sites, but it takes some work. And some sites are just impossible.

So right now for #3, I just use a spare laptop I have and mirror it to my TV using the other HDMI input. But I do have to get off my lazy butt to mess with it.

I'm thinking, I already have a computer desk 1 room over from my living room. I could buy a new PC or upgrade my current one . I find a way to wirelessly mirror that computer's audio and video to my TV. And whenever I want to watch TV. I just use my bluetooth mouse and keyboard on my couch for 1, 2, and 3.

My 3 questions/concerns are:
Don't know the range on the bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Wonder if it would work on the computer even a room away (with me on the couch).
Don't know how to upgrade my new but non-gaming desktop. I imagine that would be complicated.
Don't know how to mirror a computer's audio and video to my TV wirelessly.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject:

There's really no strong browser. All the mainstream ones can do those things fines and simultaneously which is for me the best thing about a pc.

The main point of a pc is to have access to productivity and power. If you're not willing to give up convenience just stick to the console. I multitask a lot and for the I prefer a pc over a tv/console setup.

Don't know the range on the bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Wonder if it would work on the computer even a room away (with me on the couch).
Modern bluetooth devices should be fine a few rooms away.

Don't know how to upgrade my new but non-gaming desktop. I imagine that would be complicated.
Its literally a 5 minute physical installation and 2 minute software installation. You can watch thousands of videos on youtube about it. If you can pump gas you can upgrade a graphics card and ram.

Most modern can mirror a pc screen via bluetooth but its just better to have the pc part of your entertainment system in the same room.

Do be intimidated by PC building/upgrading. Its literally one of the easiest things I've done in my life.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
There's really no strong browser. All the mainstream ones can do those things fines and simultaneously which is for me the best thing about a pc.

The main point of a pc is to have access to productivity and power. If you're not willing to give up convenience just stick to the console. I multitask a lot and for the I prefer a pc over a tv/console setup.

Modern bluetooth devices should be fine a few rooms away.

Its literally a 5 minute physical installation and 2 minute software installation. You can watch thousands of videos on youtube about it. If you can pump gas you can upgrade a graphics card and ram.

Most modern can mirror a pc screen via bluetooth but its just better to have the pc part of your entertainment system in the same room.

Do be intimidated by PC building/upgrading. Its literally one of the easiest things I've done in my life.

Yeah, from the outside it seems complicated but the reality is, we're not building jack (bleep) lol. It's just putting together a few lego pieces and installing an OS and boom you're off to the races.

@ Kikanga - What's your current PC? What sort of graphics card does it have?
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

How long does it take from power off to showing the main menu?

Approximately 25 seconds from a cold boot to the main menu after i select my user profile.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Without having to get off my couch I want to go to and from using all these things on my TV.

1) Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube
2) Spotify, play Blu-ray discs
3) A strong enough internet browser to stream from all sites without trouble.

Right now, with my ps4, I do #1 and #2 easily. #3 I can do on some sites, but it takes some work. And some sites are just impossible.

So right now for #3, I just use a spare laptop I have and mirror it to my TV using the other HDMI input. But I do have to get off my lazy butt to mess with it.

I'm thinking, I already have a computer desk 1 room over from my living room. I could buy a new PC or upgrade my current one . I find a way to wirelessly mirror that computer's audio and video to my TV. And whenever I want to watch TV. I just use my bluetooth mouse and keyboard on my couch for 1, 2, and 3.

If you add a Chromecast to your TV, you can mirror/stream wirelessly from any device connected to your Wi-Fi to your TV. You can also control your TV through voice control on any Google home device or through the assistant on your Android phone: "Hey Google, turn off the Living Room TV! Hey Google, play Drake on Spotify on Living Room TV! etc."
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject:

@ Kikanga - If bluetooth isn't able to transmit across a room, I might suggest their either a Logitech wireless that uses their Lightspeed connection. This is a great one.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Lightspeed-Wireless-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B07QN369XX

Another choice that I just snagged is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Wireless-SLIPSTREAM-Technology-CH-9315411-NA/dp/B082LVNJ4W/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_0/145-5945170-5642018?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B082LVNHW9&pd_rd_r=4634f521-991b-492d-ad22-986ec414d0e1&pd_rd_w=RcndY&pd_rd_wg=dImZl&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=CA8AQQFTYFTR6C67JAFA&refRID=CA8AQQFTYFTR6C67JAFA&th=1

Both are on sale and have a return window through Jan 31.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject:

my staff just drop $900+ to get this, had to get the 'bundle' from gamestop... Almost a G! I scolded her (then she pointed to my iPhone, same thing she said)
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

After seven months of trying, I got two PS5s today— a digital from WalMart and a disc from PlayStation Direct.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ogrounder
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Got it the other day. Great design and awesome productivity. Unfortunately not all the games I love are available for PS I still can't understand why Blizzard don't release WoW for PS. I have bought tons of different items for the game so far

Last edited by Ogrounder on Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

I got my third the other day, as well as a Series X. Going to keep buying and re-selling.

XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Ask and you shall receive.

https://i.gyazo.com/cc1e26c246e0a0505296f4eb9d6841c1.png

Fortunately, no shidgate reported this morning at the Costa Mesa Best Buy, but it was crazy:

Quote:
This is the line for graphics cards @BestBuy
in Costa Mesa at 5am. Line also wraps around the building!

(SFW... video of the line)
https://twitter.com/amoonracer/status/1417472570530484237
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

So, is it easier to get an RTX3070 or a PS5 right now? They have the same MSRP.
Macferson
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Ogrounder wrote:
Got it the other day. Great design and awesome productivity. Unfortunately not all the games I love are available for PS I still can't understand why Blizzard don't release WoW for PS. I have bought tons of different items for the game so far

If I am not mistaken WoW is only available on PC. It is not available for Xbox either.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: