What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I am curious if stephen A gets his wrist slapped for his comment Ohtani. My previous post noted how he was barely disciplined for a gross outburst live on air. now this.

The fact that Ohtani needs an interpreter is amazing and highlights the diversity of the game.

SAS must have forgotten Fernandomania.....back when Fernando Valenzuela made his MLB debut he had a translator and spoke almost no english....these days he's doing the spanish language commentary of Dodger games and his english is on par with many of the people who spoke it their entire lives....
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
There is no more useless and whiny generation than Millenials.

Is there an anecdote you can think of that illustrates your point?

That's a lot of words to say, "OK Boomer".

I love how we give each other $hit in the off topic section of this site.

Reminds me of the Lounge when I joined or even before that when I lurked.

Is it controversial to say the Lounge is soft nowadays? Compared to the past.

It's all the unnecessary, quick triggered bannings
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

True, but after spending a ton of time with college age zoomers, I think the title is going to change hands very soon.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject:

SAS spent a great part of FirstTake this morning apologizing to Shohei Ohtanito and the Asian community for what he termed his ignorance. He said Ohtanito speaks three languages. That kinda puts some shade on his apology.

Shohei was on the show. He speaks English better than a great number of Americans, myself included. His enunciation and correctness of sentence speaking structure were surprising. Before I heard him speak and knowing what SAS said I thought Ohtanito couldn't speak English. His command of the langue is excellent.

I love SAS's borrowed quote. "What do you call a person who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual. What do you call a person who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual. What do you call a person who speaks 1 language? American."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Doesnt this say something about the parenting skills of the boomers who raised them?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject:

My most controversial opinion is that I read this Twitter thread about how taco toasters are a gringo abomination: https://twitter.com/miblogestublog/status/1414795023414173699

...and then I ordered a pair of taco toasters because doing that (bleep) up in a skillet is tedious.

I want soft tacos not a damned risotto.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
If I were a physician in 1881, I think I would've washed my hands before probing president James Garfield's bullet wound with my fingers.

wiki: Although Joseph Lister's pioneering work in antisepsis was known to American doctors, with Lister himself having visited America in 1876, few of them had confidence in it, and none of his advocates were among Garfield's treating physicians.

After the initial probings, Garfield developed an abscess near the wound and they again stuck their dirty fingaz in there to see if the bullet was near the abscess. The poor bastard had an abscess and they didn't know not to touch it, and while it had a drainage tube, meaning while it was an open abscess wound. The X ray wasn't invented for another 14 years and was used to show the bullet in TR's chest (which they didn't extract). He was shot in Milwaukee in 1912 while sitting in a White steam sedan. White, the company name, produced expensive, fanciful steam cars at the time, but they had collapsible roofs and in TR's case, it was down at the time. The transcript of his speech after making it to the podium clearly demonstrated that Teddy was getting quite woosey by the end and they had to encourage him to finish up. (The long speech folded in half slowed the bullet down -- along w/ a steel spectacle case -- the bullet only hit the very corner of that glass case, he was a half inch from getting shot for reals).

There are a lot of attempted assassinations of Presidents, successful or not. Ford had 2 women shoot at him in a 3 week span (iirc). Gerald Ford?!?! Really?.... Anyway, one of them was Squeaky Fromme of the Manson clan. Squeaky was the character in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood who Pitt was talking to at the screen door. She wasn't even aiming to shoot him, she was just there by coincidence and was packing heat at the same time, so she figured what the hay. There was also a gun battle in 1950 while Truman was living at a house while the White House was being gutted and rebuilt. Truman was awakened from a nap by the sound of gunfire and he went to the window in his bozxer shorts to look down and the Secret Service rushed him away. One of the deaths was a SS member, the first one. The 2 perps were trying to enter the house a la the Haiti situation. Then the Reagan one. In 1981, Reagan, Pope John Paul, and Anwar Sadat were all shot at, w/ Sadat being killed). Sadat was at a military parade and a faction of creeps got off a vehicle armed w/ AKs and shot up the viewing platform where Sadat and others were sitting.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

Garfield's doctors: Antisepsis is overrated.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Garfield's doctors: Antisepsis is overrated.

THIS Garfield

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Every generation has had that said about them when they were young. I'm sure people said that about boomers in the late 60s/early 70s, and about Gen X in the early 90s.

And yes, I'm a millennial myself.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Every generation has had that said about them when they were young. I'm sure people said that about boomers in the late 60s/early 70s, and about Gen X in the early 90s.

Perhaps, but there are quantifiable differences between generations, and similarities. Boomers and Millenials (many of whom are parent and child), share many qualities of entitlement and selfishness and desire for others to deal with the negative parts of their reality, whereas the greatest generation, silent generation, and gen x share different values, kind of like how republicans break stuff and the democrats have to fix it.

And fwiw, gen z is younger than the Millenials and they are far more self sufficient and collaborative, so it’s not just ageism. You guys were raised by selfish prats who had it good but left little behind so you guys are the same selfish without the financial ease. Millenials are boomers dealing with the world left by the previous boomers.

Individual exceptions apply of course.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

They did say that about Gen X. They called us slackers and the Slacker Gen and slackity slack slack.....slack. Reality Bites, brah! We were all latchkey kids who grew up watching television in lieu of parental overview so we were all databanks of pop culture references. Wait....that actually defines ME. Maybe the Gen X stuff was true after all.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject:

its crazy that sagging your pants is still a thing.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
I am curious if stephen A gets his wrist slapped for his comment Ohtani. My previous post noted how he was barely disciplined for a gross outburst live on air. now this.

The fact that Ohtani needs an interpreter is amazing and highlights the diversity of the game.

SAS must have forgotten Fernandomania.....back when Fernando Valenzuela made his MLB debut he had a translator and spoke almost no english....these days he's doing the spanish language commentary of Dodger games and his english is on par with many of the people who spoke it their entire lives....

I was young when Fernando was in his heyday but I can say he singled handedly changed the demographics of the Dodgers fan base. Dude completely took the city by storm.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

They did say that about Gen X. They called us slackers and the Slacker Gen and slackity slack slack.....slack. Reality Bites, brah! We were all latchkey kids who grew up watching television in lieu of parental overview so we were all databanks of pop culture references. Wait....that actually defines ME. Maybe the Gen X stuff was true after all.

We were the original slacker generation. We wore it with pride in the 90s too.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

We were the original slacker generation. We wore it with pride in the 90s too.

Did you kids ever end up "getting off their lawn"!?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Did you kids ever end up "getting off their lawn"!?

I still walk across lawns to this day. Jodeke yelled at me recently.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

When I think of the people who refused to wear masks the past 15 months. And what generations they were from. Millenials are pretty low on the list.

And I can't think of anything more selfish and whiny than the excuses said people used for refusing to do so.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

When I think of the people who refused to wear masks the past 15 months. And what generations they were from. Millenials are pretty low on the list.

And I can't think of anything more selfish and whiny than the excuses said people used for refusing to do so.

When I see those who refuse to wear masks, I see people of every generation, and fairly evenly so. What non-maskers have in common is not age, but political affiliation and lack of intellect.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

When I see those who refuse to wear masks, I see people of every generation, and fairly evenly so. What non-maskers have in common is not age, but political affiliation and lack of intellect.

I think of college students (the Gen Z-ers Omar praised over Millenials) and Trump supporters (skew older than the Millennial generation) making asses of themselves in stores, dmvs, restaurants, gyms, etc. By putting other people's lives at risk.

But now that I think more about it. I'm sure people 60 and up did a good job overall wearing masks. Not because they are more considerate or collaborative. Just because they were selfish and didn't want to die.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I think of college students (the Gen Z-ers Omar praised over Millenials) and Trump supporters (skew older than the Millennial generation). But now that I think of it. I'm sure people 60 and up did a good job overall wearing masks. Not because they are more considerate or collaborative. Just because they were selfish and didn't want to die.

Actually, people over 60 are of generations who lived in an era where communicable diseases were much more prevalent and threatening and collaboration was imperative to battle the diseases that are essentially wiped out now. So I'm quite certain their motivations were much more driven by common sense, wisdom and experience than simple selfishness.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject:

Today is the 25th anniversary of the TWA Flight 800 disaster. I'm not into conspiracy theories, but I'm convinced the the US government is afraid to admit that they cannot rule out an act by a terrorist nation. They simply don't know what happened and the heavily censured investigation was an attempt to: 1. Hide their inability to find the root cause; and 2. Protect the fragile air travel industry.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I think of college students (the Gen Z-ers Omar praised over Millenials) and Trump supporters (skew older than the Millennial generation) making asses of themselves in stores, dmvs, restaurants, gyms, etc. By putting other people's lives at risk.

But now that I think more about it. I'm sure people 60 and up did a good job overall wearing masks. Not because they are more considerate or collaborative. Just because they were selfish and didn't want to die.

To be fair, young people of any generation are not that good at risk analysis (humans in general aren’t to begin with), being inclined to not yet understand or appreciate mortality. I wasn’t really talking about covid response so much as generational attitudes about little in general. The boomers were the generation that grew up in both unprecedented prosperity and nationalistic paranoia (as well as the civil rights era). They dabbled with drugs and free love but found their solace in selfish affluence and narcissism and a resistance to being responsible or paying for anything. Gen X grew up facing the harsh realities of the Nixon and Reagan eras, and the gutting of all the safety nets, and were the fend for themselves latch key kids. Millenials have very little memory of life before the Internet, and like their boomer forebears, are pretty demanding without being real into doing. As an employer, it’s the worst generation of grown babies to deal with. All want no work. There are plenty of great Millenials and there are a ton of rotten gen x people, but overall gen x would absolutely murder Millenials in a game of survivor. So would gen Z.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Today is the 25th anniversary of the TWA Flight 800 disaster. I'm not into conspiracy theories, but I'm convinced the the US government is afraid to admit that they cannot rule out an act by a terrorist nation. They simply don't know what happened and the heavily censured investigation was an attempt to: 1. Hide their inability to find the root cause; and 2. Protect the fragile air travel industry.

This is the day or day after we signed Shaq that Summer and for some reason, I can't remember this crash even though I have a strong contextual reference for that random day 25 years ago. I remember that Sept 94 major crash in Pennsylvania more from reading a paper on it before my first undergrad class started which helped me to associate a major crash to Sept of 94.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAir_Flight_427
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

I remember one of the "theories" floated was that a misfired navy missile was the cause, hence the coverup.

The reason that one stood out to me is that a year or so prior to that disaster I was flying in to New York one night over the water in that area and saw something thing looked like a rocket below us. I found out later the Navy was doing exercises in the area.

That's not to say I believe that's what happened to TWA800, but it was an interesting theory.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 42 of 80
Jump to: