What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject:

you don't peel a tomatillo, you circumcize it

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
There's too much TV. Not enough movies.

Too many mediocre movies that could be watched in two hours are getting stretched into 10, 20, 30 bloated hours of mediocre serialized television. Stop it, Hollywood. And stop watching, people.

To piggyback on this, there's too much TV, and not enough good quality TV series, especially comedies.

In a more controversial take, I don't find shows like Friends or Big Bang Theory funny. The humor is too everyday and commonplace, and the nerds, I mean characters on Big Bang Theory are annoying AF.

We need good sitcom and comedies on TV, and it can't all be animated sitcoms like Family Guy or American Dad (both of which are great shows).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

Too many mediocre movies that could be watched in two hours are getting stretched into 10, 20, 30 bloated hours of mediocre serialized television. Stop it, Hollywood. And stop watching, people.

To piggyback on this, there's too much TV, and not enough good quality TV series, especially comedies.

In a more controversial take, I don't find shows like Friends or Big Bang Theory funny. The humor is too everyday and commonplace, and the nerds, I mean characters on Big Bang Theory are annoying AF.

We need good sitcom and comedies on TV, and it can't all be animated sitcoms like Family Guy or American Dad (both of which are great shows).

Sitcoms are usually lowest common denominator, which is why it is rare for a smart sitcom to garner enough of the stupid audience to be successful. Big Bang Theory is really nothing more than taking dumb people’s ideas of what smart people are, and then using them to mock the dumb people’s stereotype of smart people (and throw in some gratuitous mockery of autism and other social disorders) and pretend it’s a comedy about smart people.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject:

Tribalism will always trump pluralism.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Sitcoms are usually lowest common denominator, which is why it is rare for a smart sitcom to garner enough of the stupid audience to be successful.

Yeah great sitcoms work by appealing to the masses and having characters that are regular enough. The problem is that so many of them just aren't laugh out loud funny.

Family Guy isn't really designed for smart people. Its characters are not exactly bright and successful, and it's so politically incorrect and even sophomoric that people from all walks of life enjoy it.

The same is true for shows back in the day like Seinfeld and Married With Children. They weren't "smart" sitcoms, but they were also raunchy (in the case of Married) or just ridiculous and silly (like Seinfeld) enough to draw in regular people who aren't too bright while being laugh out loud.

I'm not asking for "smart" sitcoms, but for sitcoms that are more politically incorrect and ridiculous enough so they'll make us laugh out loud. "Slice of life" shows like Friends just don't do it for me (although obviously most other people love shows like that, and that's great for them).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Seinfeld was actually very smart.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Seinfeld was actually very smart.

Exceptionally smart, yes.

I think in the case of Friends and Married With Children and even The Big Bang Theory, those shows had huge fanbases because the actors just made it work in a way that lesser actors would not have made it work. Friends had decent but not exceptional writing, but the show worked because the cast became beloved and they did have genuine chemistry together. Married With Children certainly wasn't the first "raunchy" sitcom, but it was unique in that the husband-wife dynamic was different. Yeah, the husband was a bumbling simpleton, but usually sitcoms contrast that with the wise wife. With that show, the wife was also a simpleton, was lazy, and not domestic in any way. So I do think it was different at the time, and I think the show lasted as long as it did because the principal actors were all awesome. As for Big Bang, I only watched that sporadically, but I'd say that Jim Parsons' brilliance carried the show.

With Seinfeld, you had 3 wonderful actors (plus fantastic guest stars) and amazing writing, and it's among the greatest shows to ever air. Jerry admitted he was a bad actor, but hey, there's obviously no show without him!
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject:

^ I feel like there's a difference between the writing of a show and its actors being smart, versus a show having characters or a setting that portrays something so high brow that average people can't relate.

Part of the magic of storytelling in a show or movie is that we can see a piece of ourselves in the main character. It may (or does) require smart writers and actors, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the show's setting or characters have to be "smart."
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
^ I feel like there's a difference between the writing of a show and its actors being smart, versus a show having characters or a setting that portrays something so high brow that average people can't relate.

Part of the magic of storytelling in a show or movie is that we can see a piece of ourselves in the main character. It may (or does) require smart writers and actors, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the show's setting or characters have to be "smart."

Oh, there's no question that the characters in Seinfeld are not intended to be highly intelligent beings. The show itself, though, is smart, with how it approached comedy. Finding comedy in the most mundane situations and with ordinary happenings in everyday life. And the thing is, as a stand-up comedian, this is what Jerry Seinfeld muses on, and although I think he's funny as a stand-up, his show is much, much funnier.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Oh, there's no question that the characters in Seinfeld are not intended to be highly intelligent beings. The show itself, though, is smart, with how it approached comedy. Finding comedy in the most mundane situations and with ordinary happenings in everyday life. And the thing is, as a stand-up comedian, this is what Jerry Seinfeld muses on, and although I think he's funny as a stand-up, his show is much, much funnier.

Agreed, that's the best combo. Smart writing and producing, smart, capable actors, but relatable characters who are not so smart that most of us cannot relate.

I'd argue that Family Guy, although it's obviously a different kind of comedy, is in that category. Everyone on that show is flawed and even troubled, but the show portrays social faux pas and makes fun of stereotypes in an intelligent way, even though the show itself doesn't seem "smart" at first glance.

The genius of Family Guy is also that the characters go back and forth between their flawed limitations and being fully lucid and aware. For example, Stewie is an evil genius and razor-sharp at talking trash, but sometimes he reverts back to being limited by being a baby.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject:

Hmmm, with dramas, I can think of shows (like The West Wing, for example) with intelligent, erudite characters who are still relatable. (Still, they have to dumb things down, for example, one character has to be the one that things are explained to on behalf of the audience. "I know I have an IQ of 145 and work at the highest level of government, but could you explain the census to me again? Because I just don't get it.")

But has any comedy ever really done that? Frasier might have tried, but as Omar described, was more of a parody of intelligence than actual intelligence. Anything else?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject:

What about Modern Family? I think the writing is generally pretty clever and it highlights a mix of the absurd with wit and sometimes those characters end up on both sides of that spectrum. I enjoy it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Hmmm, with dramas, I can think of shows (like The West Wing, for example) with intelligent, erudite characters who are still relatable. (Still, they have to dumb things down, for example, one character has to be the one that things are explained to on behalf of the audience. "I know I have an IQ of 145 and work at the highest level of government, but could you explain the census to me again? Because I just don't get it.")

But has any comedy ever really done that? Frasier might have tried, but as Omar described, was more of a parody of intelligence than actual intelligence. Anything else?

I think Frasier was a parody of a parody of intelligence. It was actually quite droll and wicked smart at its core.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject:

Thanksgiving is a white washed BS holiday.

Try explaining what there is to celebrate to a Native American.
Heck I’m AA. And I still don’t see what we’re celebrating?

I’d be surprised if anybody in the Western Hemisphere south of us has their own similar holiday. And for good reason.

Are we celebrating the deals with Native people we double crossed them on ? The smallpox blankets? The death marches? The pillaging of the land?

People have finally understood Columbus isn’t someone to celebrate. Maybe eventually people will feel similarly about Thanksgiving.

Of course I like the food though. But leaving all the history aside, the company you have with you largely affects if it’s a good or bad experience.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I’d be surprised if anybody in the Western Hemisphere south of us has their own similar holiday. And for good reason.

Are we celebrating the deals with Native people we double crossed them on ? The smallpox blankets? The death marches? The pillaging of the land?

People have finally understood Columbus isn’t someone to celebrate. Maybe eventually people will feel similarly about Thanksgiving.

Of course I like the food though. But leaving all the history aside, the company you have with you largely affects if it’s a good or bad experience.

lol
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

whats your opinion on the removal of controversial statues? they are part of history and when erected (Lol) they clearly had significance to the area.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:

whats your opinion on the removal of controversial statues? they are part of history and when erected (Lol) they clearly had significance to the area.

Most were erected LONG after the people they are honoring lived. Mostly during the time of segregation and Jim Crow. They were built as a reminder to Black people in the area who’s the boss. If people REALLY want them. Put them in a museum. Not on government property. These people they are honoring were trying to separate from our country. Don’t see how that aligns with honoring our country’s history. Not to mention they were fighting FOR slavery.

Have some shame! Germany doesn’t have statues of Hitler by their courthouses to “honor their history”.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
These people they are honoring were trying to separate from our country.

The Confederacy was a bunch of treasonous & racist losers: The Union handed them their asses and basically caused Lee to surrender.

They lost; we won.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject:

Concern trolls (aka bothsiders) are cowards who hide behind a facade of "critical thinking" . . .

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Go to Germany and count how many Hitler statues they have standing . . . you know, reflecting the historical significance of the area.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I'm for removing them in public areas. I too think they are a part of history so a museum of sorts may be a place to preserve that history.

I also think the uncensored history of people like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson should be taught in schools. No emphasis on either side of the good or the bad.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Go to Germany and count how many Hitler statues they have standing . . . you know, reflecting the historical significance of the area.

this is silly. This would equate to a statue of the grand dragon. cant we find something in everyone's background? Obviously, some are more extreme than others but is every public statue of someone with zero demons.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:

this is silly. This would equate to a statue of the grand dragon. cant we find something in everyone's background? Obviously, some are more extreme than others but is every public statue of someone with zero demons.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
https://youtu.be/GdCT94U_XcE

Thanks.

I loved the (soft-handed) verbal ass-whipping that lady gave to that Rubin guy.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
kikanga wrote:
https://youtu.be/GdCT94U_XcE

Thanks.

I loved the (soft-handed) verbal ass-whipping that lady gave to that Rubin guy.

I really hope Halflife watched it. I doubt he did. But I'll still hope.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 50 of 80
Jump to: