What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Was always partial to Renaissance and Impressionism-era works.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject:

I still think US is the greatest country on earth
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Art is a mystery to me. A person can dip sponges in different paint colors, throw them at a canvas, call it art, and get paid. SMFH

Only if somebody actually likes it and buys it.

Make sense of this It's called beautiful art. That's why art is a mystery to me. SMFH

That links not working for me, so hard for me to do so.

See if this works
https://www.facebook.com/justinflomofficial/videos/beautiful-artwork-tossed-like-frisbee-for-amazing-result/2933140173450453/

Or google BEAUTIFUL ARTWORK TOSSED LIKE FRISBEE FOR AMAZING RESULT

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject:

American exceptionalism is a myth. The US is no better than most other countries, just richer and more deadly (nuclear weapons and such).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
American exceptionalism is a myth. The US is no better than most other countries, just richer and more deadly (nuclear weapons and such).

America's system is lousy but it's still the best in the world.

Drew Carey's beard. He killed the Bob Barker, clean-cut game show host look. Plus he's pear-shaped. LINK I know body-shaming is not cool.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Nope.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Nope.

IMO.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

LINK

Damn LC, you kicked my ass but I'm gonna stick with my original statement.

Reason, the system's not at fault, it's the people running it that make it not what it's built to be. The system has checks and ballances. We the people aren't using them.

Keep in mind, I'm advocating for the SYSTEM Our CONSTITUTION.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat May 08, 2021 9:34 am; edited 4 times in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject:

A large portion of our country votes against their own self-interests.

As long as that continues, American won't be the "best" or "greatest" country in the world.

Quote:
David Atkins ( a t ) DavidOAtkins Sep 5, 2019

If you told a person in the 1950s that in 2020 housing would cost over 50% of income, college would take a lifetime to repay, families could barely make do even with mom working, we were locked in endless wars, & govt was paralyzed by crisis?

They'd assume we lost the Cold War.

https://twitter.com/DavidOAtkins/status/1169767715374084102

Also have to bring up. When things were at their "best" for our country (decades ago) large swaths of the population were discriminated against and had opportunities taken away or restricted from them. Like pretty much anybody who wasn't straight, white, and male.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

As long as that continues, American won't be the "best" or "greatest" country in the world.

Quote:
David Atkins _at_ DavidOAtkins Sep 5, 2019

If you told a person in the 1950s that in 2020 housing would cost over 50% of income, college would take a lifetime to repay, families could barely make do even with mom working, we were locked in endless wars, & govt was paralyzed by crisis?

They'd assume we lost the Cold War.

https://twitter.com/DavidOAtkins/status/1169767715374084102

Also have to bring up. When things were at their "best" for our country (decades ago) large swaths of the population were discriminated against and had opportunities taken away or restricted from them. Like pretty much anybody who wasn't straight, white, and male.

That wasn't/isn't because of the system, it was/is because of people. I inject my siggy.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu May 06, 2021 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the system is not good enough to overcome the idiocy of the people in it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Maybe the system is not good enough to overcome the evilness and greed of some of the people running it.

FIFY
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
That wasn't/isn't because of the system, it was/is because of people.

I don't know that you're making a distinction that has any real meaning.

It's like the discussion we were having about whether all republicans are racists. Is it technically possible to not be racist and still vote republican? I guess, but it still means you condone and help to enable their racist policies. In the end, the distinction just has no meaning.

Back to your point, I'm not sure the distinction between the system and the people has any meaning. Some would argue that the people ARE the system, so there's no literal difference.

I would take a different approach -- I'd say that the same system is also set up in a way that it can be so easily subverted. Literally two people (president and senate majority leader) can hijack the entire government. The majority of the senate is elected by a small fraction of the people in the country. States can pass blatantly racist voting laws that effectively revoke the fundamental right of many people to vote. Textualism is used to hold sacred language written over 200 years ago that did not and could not have anticipated today's challenges, and as a result thousands of innocent people die as a result of gun violence. Antiquated rules (not even laws) stand in the way of progress on health care, infrastructure, tax reform, and essentially getting anything done. All of these things are permitted by the system. They're part & parcel of the system.

And like racism, you can't point to the parts you like about something and ignore its dark side. The system is all of the above.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject:

In a way, our system is, in general, the best in the world because it's based on democratic self-governance.

The problem is that it enables greed and fascism. I guess with that type of system you get leaders who are only as good as the people who elect them.

I'd say it's other factors (greed, capitalism, racism, fascism, etc.) why we're not the greatest country in the world anymore. But we do have the infrastructure to be the best again.

We just need the leadership to get there.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
In a way, our system is, in general, the best in the world because it's based on democratic self-governance.

The problem is that it enables greed and fascism. I guess with that type of system you get leaders who are only as good as the people who elect them.

I'd say it's other factors (greed, capitalism, racism, fascism, etc.) why we're not the greatest country in the world anymore. But we do have the infrastructure to be the best again.

Lots of countries have systems based on democratic self governance. Our hubris and our greed and our delusions have always made us equate powerful with great. We weren’t great to the natives we stole this lane from, or the slaves who built out country, or the immigrants and child labor and underpaid wage slaves of robber barons who replaced the original slaves. We haven’t been all that great to women, or people of color, or the people who arrived under the shadow of the lady in the harbor in New York. Sure, we developed industrial might like no one else, and we developed military might which we used to save the world from dictators, and then promptly repurposed to allow us to become a world wrecking empire.

We could always take things, build things, and blow things up. But borrowing the idea of democracy from people who came before us and watching others do it better for quite some time is a small leg to hang great on. Great in the sense of goodness you gotta get up and strive for every day. And we haven’t been striving for that much. We are like the abusive husband who wants to be loved but doesn’t want to be lovable
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Quote:
I don't know that you're making a distinction that has any real meaning.

I qualified that with
Quote:
the system's not at fault, it's the people running it that make it not what it's built to be. The system has checks and balances. We the people aren't using them.
It's a system with built in fixes, the people have a tool to implement what the system advocates, the vote.

Quote:
kikanga wrote:

Again, it's not the system, it's the people running it and the inaction of people able to fix it.

We have a good system, as systems go, which I'm advocating for, people are the reason it's not working as it should.

Even in that state I still think, as I said in the intro, we have a lousy system but it's still the best in the world.

The system is the CONSTITUTION. The people are WE and those we elect. We're able to tweak the system. We have to do a better job at who we elect. Keep the system, work on WE and those we elect.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat May 08, 2021 9:37 am; edited 4 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

Buddy, have I got some stories to tell you about all of human history...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Kathy Griffin is the only true victim of cancel culture.

who?

Poor talentless Kathy.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

A lot of American small business owners deserve to go out of business.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject:

I would much rather work for a corporate business than a mom and pop shop. Every expense is seen as stealing from their personal wallet, and they ask for a lot of “family” and sacrifice, and then if they make it, it was all them and they deserve all the spoils.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I would much rather work for a corporate business than a mom and pop shop. Every expense is seen as stealing from their personal wallet, and they ask for a lot of “family” and sacrifice, and then if they make it, it was all them and they deserve all the spoils.

Exactamente!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

American capitalism is all about creating and/or exploiting inequities. And the biggest inequity is between the capital class and the labor class.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject:

(Marxism)
bourgeoisie vs. proletariat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proletariat
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

I (bleep) hate 2 step verification and never use special characters in my passwords if I don't have to.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 31 of 80
Jump to: