The Many Saints of Newark (sopranos prequel)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject:

Highlights:

Vera Farmiga was phenomenal. I saw Livia. She was the only character I believed would progress into their HBO self performance-wise.

Lowlights:

The writing was several tiers below The Sopranos. I expected a step down from David Chase, what I got was terrible fan fiction with a couple of winks. Dunno how this has Chase's name on it.

Why even put young Paulie in it if he gets almost no lines? Why have Farmiga do a dead-on-balls Livia if the guy you get for young Sil is more Paulie than Paulie?

Tons of filtering, color was off. There was so much heavy-handed vignetting that at first I thought there was something wrong with the projection.

This was a NETFLIX quality period piece with the standard terrible CG effects. And yet, I'm going to watch part 2 in which the DiMeos really give it to the Jamaican bobsled team.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Highlights:

Vera Farmiga was phenomenal. I saw Livia. She was the only character I believed would progress into their HBO self performance-wise.

Lowlights:

The writing was several tiers below The Sopranos. I expected a step down from David Chase, what I got was terrible fan fiction with a couple of winks. Dunno how this has Chase's name on it.

Why even put young Paulie in it if he gets almost no lines? Why have Farmiga do a dead-on-balls Livia if the guy you get for young Sil is more Paulie than Paulie?

Tons of filtering, color was off. There was so much heavy-handed vignetting that at first I thought there was something wrong with the projection.

This was a NETFLIX quality period piece with the standard terrible CG effects. And yet, I'm going to watch part 2 in which the DiMeos really give it to the Jamaican bobsled team.

Yeah, it was particularly bd during the beach sequence, in both regards. It kinda felt like they thought some viewers might somehow forget it was all taking place in the past, so they forced an "old film" look throughout as a reminder. I half expected to start seeing a dirt and scratches filter used like they do on cheesy dramatic reenactments in true crime docs.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Highlights:

Lowlights:

LOL, great post as always...I have loved Vera for a long time. She was great in Up In The Air among other stuff. But Linda Cardellini is my #1 actress crush right now....
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Highlights:

Oh, fuh Criissakes, don't cream yuhself...I DID NOT WANNA BLEEP MY MUDDUH!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject:

I just thought it never came together as a feature film.....to the point where when someone got killed, I would initially think they killed him off early....as if I was watching a series. I get why they thought it was important to include so many characters from The Sopranos, but it often felt forced.....like they were dropped in for a cameo to keep Sopranos fans engaged.

I did not find it horrible as some reviews have suggested.....just not very good. It definitely did not measure up to The Sopranos in my opinion. They sold the film as the creation of Tony Soprano.....and after watching they feels like a stretch. It really was the story of Dickie Moltisanti. Maybe that would have been a better approach for a series of films....like

1. The Many Saints of Newark - Dickie Moltisanti
2. The Many Saints of Newark - Junior Soprano
3. The Many Saints of Newark - Johnny Soprano
4. etc.

This may have allowed them to really keep the focus instead of trying to fit so many pieces of The Sopranos into a single feature film. Maybe?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject:

Also, I thought Corey Stoll nailed Junior Soprano the final 1/3 of the movie. At first, I did not see it....but he definitely morphed into something close to what we came to know as Junior Soprano by the end. Clearly Vera Farmiga was excellent throughout the film.....that was clearly the character that had a major impact on Tony Soprano.
Macferson
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Great watch. Hungry for more content from the world he bulit.

But knowing David Chase. I won't be getting some anytime soon. Maybe not at all.

If a sequel happens, the end of this one wasn't because of the laughing pt. The prison guy is gonna be behind what you saw (he will contract out to U Know Who -- merely laughing won't get the OK). Note the arc with prison guy wasn't completed and note his suspicions at the start re youse-know-what. That's gonna be the sequel's end answer. The laughing was just to throw you off. There's a Chase switcheroo waiting til pt 2. Chase's gimmicks are predictable to Sops superfans. Plus, too many loose ends for this to be a one-off. Ther was a definite No Country sendoff/homage scene, you surely recognized it. I even had to remove the logo from the vid as it was pirate. Used this tool.

I don't know why but from the moddle of the film I was forcing myself to finish watching the film. In terms of the plot it was a bit weak, my opinion. The Sopranos is a masterpiece and this prequel is not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: