🏈NFL SEASON THREAD🏈
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 49077
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he wasnt a good coach, that alone is enough to be let go. However if Mark was pressured because of emails from 2011 that's a joke.


The joke is thinking someone should get a pass from heinous stuff said in 2011.

except when you listen to people who know and worked with him they say otherwise.

Are his actions equal to his words?


If there’s anything I’ve learned over the past few years, it’s that these types of people are always given testimonials as “great guys” by people who know and socialize with them.

No, someone that uses the language he did in the past 10 years (and the especially egregious stuff even more recently) shouldn’t get a pass, I don’t care how many testimonials he gets.

Would you have used the same language he did, on multiple occasions, written, in the same time period?

No, but my reality is different than grudens. obviously he shouldn’t have resorted to whatever he said but 2011 was a lifetime ago. The nfl couldn’t give bleeps about social issues then other than the token themed wear. That was his circle.

Hell the nba had an outwardly racist owner that everyone knew was racist that no one cared about until the tapes.

Yes he should be fired but I will trust what those who know him say about him as oppose to the cancel mob.


2011 wasn’t 1950.
2018 wasn’t 1950.

Here’s a thought - if someone’s “circle” is racist, sexist and misogynist, maybe they are too. And maybe we shouldn’t believe the character references of their buddies who run in that same circle.


Exactly. This isn't just a case of using terms that were once "acceptable" but have become off limits. This is a case of the words revealing a set of beliefs that are racist, bigoted, and misogynistic. Gruden didn't say few inappropriate words. He targeted whole groups of people with hateful thoughts. People don't just say those things out of character.

It blows me away how some people use the whole "cancel culture" label as a cover to excuse the horrible thoughts and actions of others.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 32509

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject:

What is peculiar to me is not just the content but rather the timing of the release of those emails. That's why I suspect that it has nothing to do with Roger Goodell's desire for vengeance or social justice. Goodell serves as the owners' puppet and punching bag, he obviously has thick skin and doesn't initiate any actions on his own. Not only does that reduce the likelihood that he alone launched the destruction of Gruden, it also doesn't explain the timing. These emails are very old, they weren't just mined out of the bit bucket and reviewed within the past couple of weeks. Someone had them and saved them as ammunition. That sounds more like Goodell.

Gruden was working under a 10 year, $100 million coaching contract, a record amount for a head coaching hire. The Raiders didn't improve those first 3 years and it doesn't look like there will be any improvement this season. While he could have been fired by the owner (Davis) we don't know how much of that contract was guaranteed. I suspect much, perhaps all of that contract was guaranteed in the event that he was fired. Thus firing Gruden was a very expensive option for Davis.

So who serves Davis? Goodell, as it is widely known that he does all the dirty work and his adept at hiding evidence. Goodell cleansed the proverbial crime scene in Washington and gave the owner Schneider a superficial slap on the wrist. The evidence and findings were never publicized. Goodell was there to serve Schneider's interests. Similarly he is also there to serve Davis' interests.

So if firing Gruden would cost Davis (perhaps the least wealthy owner) $67 million, don't you think Davis would approach Goodell for assistance? I don't doubt Davis had knowledge of the emails during due diligence prior to hiring Gruden. In fact I'm sure Davis was on the receiving end of some of Gruden's acidic missives. That is why those emails were launched by a league controlled source, and it goes far in explaining the timing of the public release.

Gruden resigned because of the damage sustained, and because more emails were reportedly going to be released. They probably won't be released now as there's no need. Gruden is now off the Raiders' payroll.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 138799
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
He is a POS in his own right, so no, not really.


but he is a really good receiver....


Average at best
_________________
If you could choose between dating a supermodel or going fishing, would it be saltwater or freshwater?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 138799
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
What is peculiar to me is not just the content but rather the timing of the release of those emails. That's why I suspect that it has nothing to do with Roger Goodell's desire for vengeance or social justice. Goodell serves as the owners' puppet and punching bag, he obviously has thick skin and doesn't initiate any actions on his own. Not only does that reduce the likelihood that he alone launched the destruction of Gruden, it also doesn't explain the timing. These emails are very old, they weren't just mined out of the bit bucket and reviewed within the past couple of weeks. Someone had them and saved them as ammunition. That sounds more like Goodell.

Gruden was working under a 10 year, $100 million coaching contract, a record amount for a head coaching hire. The Raiders didn't improve those first 3 years and it doesn't look like there will be any improvement this season. While he could have been fired by the owner (Davis) we don't know how much of that contract was guaranteed. I suspect much, perhaps all of that contract was guaranteed in the event that he was fired. Thus firing Gruden was a very expensive option for Davis.

So who serves Davis? Goodell, as it is widely known that he does all the dirty work and his adept at hiding evidence. Goodell cleansed the proverbial crime scene in Washington and gave the owner Schneider a superficial slap on the wrist. The evidence and findings were never publicized. Goodell was there to serve Schneider's interests. Similarly he is also there to serve Davis' interests.

So if firing Gruden would cost Davis (perhaps the least wealthy owner) $67 million, don't you think Davis would approach Goodell for assistance? I don't doubt Davis had knowledge of the emails during due diligence prior to hiring Gruden. In fact I'm sure Davis was on the receiving end of some of Gruden's acidic missives. That is why those emails were launched by a league controlled source, and it goes far in explaining the timing of the public release.

Gruden resigned because of the damage sustained, and because more emails were reportedly going to be released. They probably won't be released now as there's no need. Gruden is now off the Raiders' payroll.


The emails were found during an investigation of the Washington team where Jon’s brother was an assistant. Just speculation but it very well could have been brother to brother communication.
_________________
If you could choose between dating a supermodel or going fishing, would it be saltwater or freshwater?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57822
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Cards
Bills
Cowboys
Bucs
Chargers


What is this? Power Rankings? Likely to win SuperBowl?

These are the stone cold not debatable power rankings as of today. If someone says otherwise just know they are wrong

Are they fluid?
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.


Last edited by jodeke on Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57822
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
He is a POS in his own right, so no, not really.


but he is a really good receiver....


Average at best

Damn VLF!! You having a slow day at the office? Are you bored and looking for a fight? You still my peeps even if you're having a bad day. AD is a grief to opponents. He's harder to cover than a tennis court when it starts to rain.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.


Last edited by jodeke on Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 24653
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
He is a POS in his own right, so no, not really.


but he is a really good receiver....


Average at best


Whaaaaaat? He's easily, easily the best WR on their team. Going to the Hall of Fame. The only reason he won't go to the Pro Bowl is because they hold down his usage. But make no mistake, he's light years better than Chris Godwin, who is good in his own right. Evans is very good at what he does too. But AB is, still, fantastic on the football field. The film doesn't lie.

Just to be clear, he's a bad man off the field. But that has nothing to do with his ability to play football.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57822
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Quote:
Gruden was working under a 10 year, $100 million coaching contract, a record amount for a head coaching hire. The Raiders didn't improve those first 3 years and it doesn't look like there will be any improvement this season. While he could have been fired by the owner (Davis) we don't know how much of that contract was guaranteed. I suspect much, perhaps all of that contract was guaranteed in the event that he was fired. Thus firing Gruden was a very expensive option for Davis.


With Gruden's poor record I'm of a mind Mark initiated the investigation to save himself $60 million dollars.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 35351

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject:

Guess somebody like Derek Carr doesn't have to worry about getting traded under Gruden now. That being said this is going to be a period of uncertainty for the Raiders as they had been seen as finally winning some games after having a couple of tough rebuilding seasons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 12168

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Raiders didn't improve those first 3 years and it doesn't look like there will be any improvement this season.


Actually the team was 3-1 when news of the first email came out and I thought the team looked better. The defense looked much better, the receivers looked much better (they actually have some real weapons now besides the tight end), the o-line was trash but both starting guards were injured and Carr was still playing great.

I do wonder if the distraction affected the performance of the team against the Bears. Both starting corners were also injured a week earlier.

I think this team is pretty good if they can get just an average o-line. The Chargers look tough and you can never count the Chiefs out though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 138799
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Quote:
The Raiders didn't improve those first 3 years and it doesn't look like there will be any improvement this season.


Actually the team was 3-1 when news of the first email came out and I thought the team looked better. The defense looked much better, the receivers looked much better (they actually have some real weapons now besides the tight end), the o-line was trash but both starting guards were injured and Carr was still playing great.

I do wonder if the distraction affected the performance of the team against the Bears. Both starting corners were also injured a week earlier.

I think this team is pretty good if they can get just an average o-line. The Chargers look tough and you can never count the Chiefs out though.


I agree, the organization was showing improvement. I don’t feel sorry for Gruden but I do for the players and fans, this will likely lead to a big step backward.
_________________
If you could choose between dating a supermodel or going fishing, would it be saltwater or freshwater?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 24653
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject:

There's no question that the Raiders appeared flat on Sunday. I'm expecting them to be much more fired up this week. Now, maybe they still lose because of disorganization, but I think they will put forth a much more spirited effort.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57822
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

Rich Bisaccia, Gruden's replacement, is a longtime NFL special teams coordinator. His familiarity with the team is important. He probably has a good, decent, rapport with the players. The squad will be fired up and ready to go. They're already familiar with the plays. The Broncos 3 2 will be a good test.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 10462
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

I agree that the Raiders/NFL wanted Chucky out. This league keeps all of its inner workings and investigations close to the vest, like they did with Spygate, the Washington fiasco and their other assorted scandals. With that said it’s good that we know what we know about Chucky, and he is right to GTFo, and I would say the same about Urban Meyer. However, there are deeply seeded issues with this league that go beyond those two guys. They’re merely the symptoms not the disease.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 15809
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
I agree that the Raiders/NFL wanted Chucky out. This league keeps all of its inner workings and investigations close to the vest, like they did with Spygate, the Washington fiasco and their other assorted scandals. With that said it’s good that we know what we know about Chucky, and he is right to GTFo, and I would say the same about Urban Meyer. However, there are deeply seeded issues with this league that go beyond those two guys. They’re merely the symptoms not the disease.


No doubt.

Quote:
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
Also fascinating: How quickly the Gruden emails have become public, while the all aspects of the league’s investigation into Dan Snyder have remained completely private.

Lesson for everyone in the difference between the people who cash the checks, and those who write them.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1447727725633064964?t=ClNCc1MSjqZ9lSFDOTM9WQ&s=19


Yes, Gruden said awful things, and deserved to be held accountable for them; however, this was a calculated release by the NFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57822
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
What is peculiar to me is not just the content but rather the timing of the release of those emails. That's why I suspect that it has nothing to do with Roger Goodell's desire for vengeance or social justice. Goodell serves as the owners' puppet and punching bag, he obviously has thick skin and doesn't initiate any actions on his own. Not only does that reduce the likelihood that he alone launched the destruction of Gruden, it also doesn't explain the timing. These emails are very old, they weren't just mined out of the bit bucket and reviewed within the past couple of weeks. Someone had them and saved them as ammunition. That sounds more like Goodell.

Gruden was working under a 10 year, $100 million coaching contract, a record amount for a head coaching hire. The Raiders didn't improve those first 3 years and it doesn't look like there will be any improvement this season. While he could have been fired by the owner (Davis) we don't know how much of that contract was guaranteed. I suspect much, perhaps all of that contract was guaranteed in the event that he was fired. Thus firing Gruden was a very expensive option for Davis.

So who serves Davis? Goodell, as it is widely known that he does all the dirty work and his adept at hiding evidence. Goodell cleansed the proverbial crime scene in Washington and gave the owner Schneider a superficial slap on the wrist. The evidence and findings were never publicized. Goodell was there to serve Schneider's interests. Similarly he is also there to serve Davis' interests.

So if firing Gruden would cost Davis (perhaps the least wealthy owner) $67 million, don't you think Davis would approach Goodell for assistance? I don't doubt Davis had knowledge of the emails during due diligence prior to hiring Gruden. In fact I'm sure Davis was on the receiving end of some of Gruden's acidic missives. That is why those emails were launched by a league controlled source, and it goes far in explaining the timing of the public release.

Gruden resigned because of the damage sustained, and because more emails were reportedly going to be released. They probably won't be released now as there's no need. Gruden is now off the Raiders' payroll.


The emails were found during an investigation of the Washington team where Jon’s brother was an assistant. Just speculation but it very well could have been brother to brother communication.

The emails were sent to Bruce Allen who was a Washington executive at the time.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 7290

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he wasnt a good coach, that alone is enough to be let go. However if Mark was pressured because of emails from 2011 that's a joke.


The joke is thinking someone should get a pass from heinous stuff said in 2011.

except when you listen to people who know and worked with him they say otherwise.

Are his actions equal to his words?


If there’s anything I’ve learned over the past few years, it’s that these types of people are always given testimonials as “great guys” by people who know and socialize with them.

No, someone that uses the language he did in the past 10 years (and the especially egregious stuff even more recently) shouldn’t get a pass, I don’t care how many testimonials he gets.

Would you have used the same language he did, on multiple occasions, written, in the same time period?

No, but my reality is different than grudens. obviously he shouldn’t have resorted to whatever he said but 2011 was a lifetime ago. The nfl couldn’t give bleeps about social issues then other than the token themed wear. That was his circle.

Hell the nba had an outwardly racist owner that everyone knew was racist that no one cared about until the tapes.

Yes he should be fired but I will trust what those who know him say about him as oppose to the cancel mob.


2011 wasn’t 1950.
2018 wasn’t 1950.

Here’s a thought - if someone’s “circle” is racist, sexist and misogynist, maybe they are too. And maybe we shouldn’t believe the character references of their buddies who run in that same circle.


Exactly. This isn't just a case of using terms that were once "acceptable" but have become off limits. This is a case of the words revealing a set of beliefs that are racist, bigoted, and misogynistic. Gruden didn't say few inappropriate words. He targeted whole groups of people with hateful thoughts. People don't just say those things out of character.

It blows me away how some people use the whole "cancel culture" label as a cover to excuse the horrible thoughts and actions of others.

come on. There is a Rooney rule for a reason. the league is full of this stuff I'm sure. There is no excuse, but let's clean everyone out. The WFteam is under investigation for sexual harassment, with their owner at the forefront. Make him sell the team. Jerry jones overtly campaigned for Trump. A known racist You don't think there are skeletons there? We need access to his emails.

Lets not just stop with Gruden. Be proactive before it comes out about someone else.

While we are at it every player who has laid his hands on a woman should be barred for life. Period.

This isn't about cancel culture, its about fake outrage.

None of you care because if you did you would do more than just wave your keyboard. We can go over a list of people Incs. i'm sure who have done or support things that you vehemently disagree with. Clint Eastwood was trending yesterday for being a racist. is he? do you watch his movies.

Gruden was a dope but if you listen to guys like Mike tirico, Tony Dungy and I'm sure the list can go on about his character its clear he doesn't practice what he preaches.

No one is excusing him, and he needed to be let go but lets leave it at that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 49077
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he wasnt a good coach, that alone is enough to be let go. However if Mark was pressured because of emails from 2011 that's a joke.


The joke is thinking someone should get a pass from heinous stuff said in 2011.

except when you listen to people who know and worked with him they say otherwise.

Are his actions equal to his words?


If there’s anything I’ve learned over the past few years, it’s that these types of people are always given testimonials as “great guys” by people who know and socialize with them.

No, someone that uses the language he did in the past 10 years (and the especially egregious stuff even more recently) shouldn’t get a pass, I don’t care how many testimonials he gets.

Would you have used the same language he did, on multiple occasions, written, in the same time period?

No, but my reality is different than grudens. obviously he shouldn’t have resorted to whatever he said but 2011 was a lifetime ago. The nfl couldn’t give bleeps about social issues then other than the token themed wear. That was his circle.

Hell the nba had an outwardly racist owner that everyone knew was racist that no one cared about until the tapes.

Yes he should be fired but I will trust what those who know him say about him as oppose to the cancel mob.


2011 wasn’t 1950.
2018 wasn’t 1950.

Here’s a thought - if someone’s “circle” is racist, sexist and misogynist, maybe they are too. And maybe we shouldn’t believe the character references of their buddies who run in that same circle.


Exactly. This isn't just a case of using terms that were once "acceptable" but have become off limits. This is a case of the words revealing a set of beliefs that are racist, bigoted, and misogynistic. Gruden didn't say few inappropriate words. He targeted whole groups of people with hateful thoughts. People don't just say those things out of character.

It blows me away how some people use the whole "cancel culture" label as a cover to excuse the horrible thoughts and actions of others.

come on. There is a Rooney rule for a reason. the league is full of this stuff I'm sure. There is no excuse, but let's clean everyone out. The WFteam is under investigation for sexual harassment, with their owner at the forefront. Make him sell the team. Jerry jones overtly campaigned for Trump. A known racist You don't think there are skeletons there? We need access to his emails.

Lets not just stop with Gruden. Be proactive before it comes out about someone else.

While we are at it every player who has laid his hands on a woman should be barred for life. Period.

This isn't about cancel culture, its about fake outrage.



That's rich coming from the guy who said:

"I will trust what those who know him say about him as oppose to the cancel mob."

Quote:
None of you care because if you did you would do more than just wave your keyboard. We can go over a list of people Incs. i'm sure who have done or support things that you vehemently disagree with. Clint Eastwood was trending yesterday for being a racist. is he? do you watch his movies.

Gruden was a dope but if you listen to guys like Mike tirico, Tony Dungy and I'm sure the list can go on about his character its clear he doesn't practice what he preaches.

No one is excusing him, and he needed to be let go but lets leave it at that.


Again, we aren't the ones stepping up to say we believe Gruden's friends more than his own words. As for the rest of that, you are making unfounded assumptions and engaging in what aboutisms.

I'm all for cleaning up all the crap in the NFL. I've said before that the way they handle players who have engaged in violence and domestic abuse is ridiculous.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 7290

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he wasnt a good coach, that alone is enough to be let go. However if Mark was pressured because of emails from 2011 that's a joke.


The joke is thinking someone should get a pass from heinous stuff said in 2011.

except when you listen to people who know and worked with him they say otherwise.

Are his actions equal to his words?


If there’s anything I’ve learned over the past few years, it’s that these types of people are always given testimonials as “great guys” by people who know and socialize with them.

No, someone that uses the language he did in the past 10 years (and the especially egregious stuff even more recently) shouldn’t get a pass, I don’t care how many testimonials he gets.

Would you have used the same language he did, on multiple occasions, written, in the same time period?

No, but my reality is different than grudens. obviously he shouldn’t have resorted to whatever he said but 2011 was a lifetime ago. The nfl couldn’t give bleeps about social issues then other than the token themed wear. That was his circle.

Hell the nba had an outwardly racist owner that everyone knew was racist that no one cared about until the tapes.

Yes he should be fired but I will trust what those who know him say about him as oppose to the cancel mob.


2011 wasn’t 1950.
2018 wasn’t 1950.

Here’s a thought - if someone’s “circle” is racist, sexist and misogynist, maybe they are too. And maybe we shouldn’t believe the character references of their buddies who run in that same circle.


Exactly. This isn't just a case of using terms that were once "acceptable" but have become off limits. This is a case of the words revealing a set of beliefs that are racist, bigoted, and misogynistic. Gruden didn't say few inappropriate words. He targeted whole groups of people with hateful thoughts. People don't just say those things out of character.

It blows me away how some people use the whole "cancel culture" label as a cover to excuse the horrible thoughts and actions of others.

come on. There is a Rooney rule for a reason. the league is full of this stuff I'm sure. There is no excuse, but let's clean everyone out. The WFteam is under investigation for sexual harassment, with their owner at the forefront. Make him sell the team. Jerry jones overtly campaigned for Trump. A known racist You don't think there are skeletons there? We need access to his emails.

Lets not just stop with Gruden. Be proactive before it comes out about someone else.

While we are at it every player who has laid his hands on a woman should be barred for life. Period.

This isn't about cancel culture, its about fake outrage.



That's rich coming from the guy who said:

"I will trust what those who know him say about him as oppose to the cancel mob."

Quote:
None of you care because if you did you would do more than just wave your keyboard. We can go over a list of people Incs. i'm sure who have done or support things that you vehemently disagree with. Clint Eastwood was trending yesterday for being a racist. is he? do you watch his movies.

Gruden was a dope but if you listen to guys like Mike tirico, Tony Dungy and I'm sure the list can go on about his character its clear he doesn't practice what he preaches.

No one is excusing him, and he needed to be let go but lets leave it at that.


Again, we aren't the ones stepping up to say we believe Gruden's friends more than his own words. As for the rest of that, you are making unfounded assumptions and engaging in what aboutisms.

I'm all for cleaning up all the crap in the NFL. I've said before that the way they handle players who have engaged in violence and domestic abuse is ridiculous.

Please. I give zero bleeps about what any non-policy maker does. their business is not my business. I just hope those who wanted him fired and would boycott if he wasnt because of his words take that same intensity to everything and everyone else. Keep the outrage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 7290

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he wasnt a good coach, that alone is enough to be let go. However if Mark was pressured because of emails from 2011 that's a joke.


The joke is thinking someone should get a pass from heinous stuff said in 2011.

except when you listen to people who know and worked with him they say otherwise.

Are his actions equal to his words?


If there’s anything I’ve learned over the past few years, it’s that these types of people are always given testimonials as “great guys” by people who know and socialize with them.

No, someone that uses the language he did in the past 10 years (and the especially egregious stuff even more recently) shouldn’t get a pass, I don’t care how many testimonials he gets.

Would you have used the same language he did, on multiple occasions, written, in the same time period?

No, but my reality is different than grudens. obviously he shouldn’t have resorted to whatever he said but 2011 was a lifetime ago. The nfl couldn’t give bleeps about social issues then other than the token themed wear. That was his circle.

Hell the nba had an outwardly racist owner that everyone knew was racist that no one cared about until the tapes.

Yes he should be fired but I will trust what those who know him say about him as oppose to the cancel mob.


2011 wasn’t 1950.
2018 wasn’t 1950.

Here’s a thought - if someone’s “circle” is racist, sexist and misogynist, maybe they are too. And maybe we shouldn’t believe the character references of their buddies who run in that same circle.


Exactly. This isn't just a case of using terms that were once "acceptable" but have become off limits. This is a case of the words revealing a set of beliefs that are racist, bigoted, and misogynistic. Gruden didn't say few inappropriate words. He targeted whole groups of people with hateful thoughts. People don't just say those things out of character.

It blows me away how some people use the whole "cancel culture" label as a cover to excuse the horrible thoughts and actions of others.

come on. There is a Rooney rule for a reason. the league is full of this stuff I'm sure. There is no excuse, but let's clean everyone out. The WFteam is under investigation for sexual harassment, with their owner at the forefront. Make him sell the team. Jerry jones overtly campaigned for Trump. A known racist You don't think there are skeletons there? We need access to his emails.

Lets not just stop with Gruden. Be proactive before it comes out about someone else.

While we are at it every player who has laid his hands on a woman should be barred for life. Period.

This isn't about cancel culture, its about fake outrage.



That's rich coming from the guy who said:

"I will trust what those who know him say about him as oppose to the cancel mob."

Quote:
None of you care because if you did you would do more than just wave your keyboard. We can go over a list of people Incs. i'm sure who have done or support things that you vehemently disagree with. Clint Eastwood was trending yesterday for being a racist. is he? do you watch his movies.

Gruden was a dope but if you listen to guys like Mike tirico, Tony Dungy and I'm sure the list can go on about his character its clear he doesn't practice what he preaches.

No one is excusing him, and he needed to be let go but lets leave it at that.


Again, we aren't the ones stepping up to say we believe Gruden's friends more than his own words. As for the rest of that, you are making unfounded assumptions and engaging in what aboutisms.

I'm all for cleaning up all the crap in the NFL. I've said before that the way they handle players who have engaged in violence and domestic abuse is ridiculous.

Please. I give zero bleeps about what any non-policy maker does. their business is not my business. I just hope those who wanted him fired and would boycott if he wasnt because of his words take that same intensity to everything and everyone else. Keep the outrage.


Bucs remove gruden from ring of honor.
Darren Rovelle response-
Bucs can do this, but it comes with not allowing Antonio Brown to ever dress in their uniform again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 45850

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Bills look to be for real. Their defense is back where it was before Josh Allen broke out, when they had a top defense. Just got to see Allen do it in the playoffs now.



Agreed. They are going to be very hard to beat this year come playoff time if they stay relatively healthy....which of course a lot of teams could say, but it feels like the Bills are the class of the AFC.

The Chargers defense is talented, but they still give up way too many points, watch out for Baltimore and maybe a dark horse in Cincinnati.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 23794

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject:

I wonder who Gruden pissed off for all this to go public. This seems to be a very coordinated attack here.

That being said I don't feel bad for him either but I also am not into this faux outrage.

Especially by ESPN(who employed him for years) and the Raiders(who hired him for the second time around).

I have to admit the only shocking thing is that he is the first coach to leave this season and not Urban Meyer.

I am glad this has totally overshadowed how the Colts collapsed last night.


Last edited by Basketball Fan on Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 45850

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I wonder who Gruden pissed off for all this to go public. This seems to be a very coordinated attack here.

That being said I don't feel bad for him either but I also am not into this faux outrage.

Especially by ESPN(who employed him for years) and the Raiders(who hired him for the second time around).

I have to admit the only shocking thing is that he is the first coach to leave this season and not Urban Meyer.


^How did urban not go first?

NFL Coach Hot Seats:

1. Gruden - Departed and will never even get an assistant job again
2. Urban Meyer - Impossible to have a worse start to this point unless you are Gruden
3. Brian Flores - Not his fault necessarily, but you can't fire all the players
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 23794

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
I wonder who Gruden pissed off for all this to go public. This seems to be a very coordinated attack here.

That being said I don't feel bad for him either but I also am not into this faux outrage.

Especially by ESPN(who employed him for years) and the Raiders(who hired him for the second time around).

I have to admit the only shocking thing is that he is the first coach to leave this season and not Urban Meyer.


^How did urban not go first?

NFL Coach Hot Seats:

1. Gruden - Departed and will never even get an assistant job again
2. Urban Meyer - Impossible to have a worse start to this point unless you are Gruden
3. Brian Flores - Not his fault necessarily, but you can't fire all the players


I think the Jags are waiting till the bye week. If I were Khan I would keep him for the entire season and then dump him. (plus the Colts can get two wins out of this).

The minute he gets tossed aside USC will pick up him and I would make him suffer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 35351

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I wonder who Gruden pissed off for all this to go public. This seems to be a very coordinated attack here.

That being said I don't feel bad for him either but I also am not into this faux outrage.

Especially by ESPN(who employed him for years) and the Raiders(who hired him for the second time around).

I have to admit the only shocking thing is that he is the first coach to leave this season and not Urban Meyer.

I am glad this has totally overshadowed how the Colts collapsed last night.


If I had to guess he became too powerful for somebody who wasn't an NFL owner. The NFL could've made this public or kept it in house. The fact that it went public means he probably got some enemies amongst the owners or crossed Goodell at some point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
Page 80 of 82
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB