LAKERS -vs- NUGGETS - 9/26 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- NUGGETS - 9/26 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Back in the NBA Finals!!!... Let’s get this.

First things first. The Lakers have been undefeated in close out games. The Nuggets undefeated in elimination games. Something had to give tonight.

The Lakers had some flow in the offense early on. The off-ball movement in the half court sets had the Nuggets giving up layups to Laker cutters. When that wasn’t going on, LeBron was hunting matchups and getting downhill off the high screens. The Lakers pushed out to a 10-point lead in the first half, while both Jokic and AD ended up with 3 fouls each and limited minutes.

“This thing gets closed out with us being the harder playing team in the second half right out of the gates,” Vogel told his team at halftime.

Between the Lakers and the finals was 24 minutes and the comeback Nuggets.

The Lakers pushed out to a 15-point lead in the first couple of minutes and forced a timeout. The lead would stretch to 16 and then Nuggets made their run. The Laker offense slowed a bit, the Nuggets started draining threes and Vogel called a timeout as the lead was trimmed to 10. The Nuggets coach implored them to stay aggressive.

Dwight gave a shoulder to Millsap with the Lakers up 11 on a box out and drew a flagrant foul after a made Nugget basket. The Nuggets would get a 6-point possession out of this trip down the court.

The Nuggets tied the game up before AD sank a three at the end of the third to give the Lakers a 3-point lead heading into the final quarter. Midway through the quarter, AD stepped into another deep three trailing the break and sank it to cap off a 7-0 run to force a timeout.

Still, the Nuggets wouldn’t go away. Dwight gave up a big And-1 foul on a Jokic reverse and the Nuggets were within 4 with 4:35 left.

LeBron time. As the Lakers ran double-high screens with a shooter and Dwight rolling, they found Green for a big three.

Then LeBron found his shot. He worked the screens and bang, bang, bang...three huge buckets on the jumper and then the dagger -- a back-breaking three on his fourth straight possession to go up 12 with 2 minutes left. That was 9 straight points from LeBron.

With that, the Nuggets were done, their unique journey over, and the Lakers were going back to the NBA Finals.

“We’re happy winning this conference championship, but this job is not done,” Vogel said.

Four more wins.

LeBron -- -- Oh, you needed to see that LeBron again just to make sure it was still there? I think some tend to write off his ability when he suddenly can’t get to the rim, blaming it on age, on an injury or something. But the reality was the paint in this series was seriously clogged. And when LeBron didn’t trust his perimeter shot and the drive wasn’t there because the paint was packed...well, things will look a little sluggish. Tonight, he showed the complete LeBron game. It started early as he got downhill in the second quarter for a series of layups. He was picking on Jokic in drop coverage or getting Porter switched on him. The past couple games, we’ve really hunted Porter for scores. The Nuggets defense was on its heels and concerned about their assignments after our off-ball cutters picked them apart (and we made the passes...also important that we looked for the lobs and rolling bigs as the D has to stay honest). Still, the game was a dogfight in the second half. For a bit, we slowed the offense down and the Nuggets hung tight. Then we pulled out some double high screen action -- a shooter popping, Dwight rolling and the ball in LeBron’s hand. He killed them. He found teammates, then took over with the jumpers off the high screens. He sank one after another like a prize fighter seeing his opponent staggered. The haymaker, the backbreaker, was a three straight away as the D scrambled to deal with a rolling Dwight for a moment and then left him. Boom. He knocked it down and the bench went nuts. Again, making our role players threats opens things up for our stars. LeBron had 16 points in the fourth quarter. He’d finish with 38 points, 16 boards and 10 assists in the closeout game. Worthy and Oscar Robertson are the only ones to ever put those kinds of numbers in such a closeout situation, according to TNT. “My shoulders are wide enough to carry a lot of load but my mind is stronger,” LeBron said. Get some rest, LBJ, wait for the opponent and let’s get four more. This one is big for the franchise. The Stats: He scored 38 points on 15-25 shooting (1-4 from three, 7-8 from the line) to go with 16 boards (3 offensive), 10 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 40 minutes. He was a +12.

Davis -- -- His minutes in the first half were limited. First, by the Lakers second unit rolling without him. Secondly, by picking up three fouls. So both Jokic (also three fouls) and AD saw limited time in that half. No rebounds again in the first half. I loved him finding AC cutting down the lane for a layup after AD drew attention in the post early on. I loved him blitzing Murray on the perimeter to force a turnover and AC getting another dunk off that. Those are two things that we dialed up as the series went along. Our off-ball movement and cuts forced the D to stay more honest. The blitzing of Murray when Jokic isn’t out there kept the Nuggets down. In the second half, he had some scrappy plays for scores (and a cherry picking dunk). The big highlight reel play, though, was on the defensive end as he blocked Porter who tried to throwdown on him. After fading a little bit offensively, he’d sink a big three to force a timeout late, then strip Murray for a stop on that subsequent defensive stand. Underrated thing about AD, when he gets into foul trouble he can avoid it pretty well as the game goes along. He had no fouls in the second half. He and LeBron combined for 65 points. The Lakers are deadly when they clock those numbers. “He’s really just staying in the moment,” Vogel said. The Stats: He scored 27 points on 8-16 shooting (2-4 from three, 9-9 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 35 minutes. He was a -1.

Green -- -- Hold that arm up. He sank a huge three with just over 4 minutes left. It was off those double high screens where he popped out and had a good look straight away. Big shot. He’d also sink a corner three in the second half. The Lakers made 9-24 from three in this game. Defensively, in the last game we had Green on Murray early on and he got torched. Tonight, we left that idea in the dust. Green got in on a couple of blocks. Love when he gets those challenges in on help D. A couple other notable highlights early in the game. On one play, Green attacked off the three line and lobbed to Dwight. We have not seen enough of that, but it happened early in this one and made the Nuggets think twice about leaving Dwight. He also had another attack from the corner that drew Jokic’s second foul on him early. Those will be lost in the shuffle of the night, but really had an impact for the rest of the game. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 3-7 shooting (2-4 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 2 assists, 2 blocks and 1 foul in 28 minutes. He was a +6.

Howard -- -- One of the key stats of the night, Dwight getting 35 minutes. He was a +12. When he was on the floor in this series, the Lakers rolled. Tonight, Vogel brought him back for the fourth quarter and put him in the mix with the screen setting. Before that, we got him an early lob dunk, which I think is key. It was kind of driving me nuts that we weren’t looking for him. There were sequences the past couple of games where Dwight was wide open and not getting the ball. If he’s in lob territory with the hand up, make the D pay. If he’s got extremely low position on rim runs or sealing on a duck in, give him the ball. He’s a handful within three feet of the hoop. And even if they take intentional fouls, those add up and allows us into the bonus earlier. The Lakers did all that in this one. Even though he didn’t score a ton, it was his most well-rounded offensive game and that makes a difference. Dwight still got in the mix of a key moment in this one when he lowered the shoulder on a box out and leveled Millsap. He got a flagrant 1 and that led to a key 6-point possession for the Nuggets that allowed them to stay attached. Painful, but Dwight kept his head down and stayed focused the rest of the way. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 3-4 shooting (3-6 from the line) to go with 9 boards, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers and 5 fouls in 35 minutes. He was a +12.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- Funny, I was coming into this game, thinking KCP was going to be key. He’d have a big night knocking down some shots and in the mix on some key plays. Nope. Just goes to show you, the third man on this team consistently varies. KCP’s only bucket in this one was a jumper from the top of the key. A timely score late, but that would be it. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 1 board, 2 steals, 1 turnover and 5 fouls in 26 minutes. He was a +5.

Kuzma -- -- A rough series for Kuzma. Defensively, he’s had issues. Some really poor closeouts in the last game and this one, as well. His jumper has been a bit inconsistent (he airballed a three with kind of a weird step into that shot and he airballed a turnaround). He would knock down one three tonight to start the fourth quarter, taking a kickout. What has been consistent for him is the speed in which he changes end. Throughout this series, he hurt the Nuggets hustling down court after made hoops. He had an And-1 again tonight off a made basket. Also some good recognition hitting Dwight on a rim run when he had low position. We didn’t do that near enough. He needs to recalibrate and lock in for the finals. Everyone needs to step it up. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-7 shooting (1-3 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 1 assist, 1 block and 3 fouls in 21 minutes. He was a +0.

Caruso -- -- Great first half with 11 points on 5-5 shooting. He abused the Nuggets watching or helping the Lakers post players. AC cut for a couple of easy scores off passes from the post. These are just huge, keeping the D honest and worried. They’ve also tried to hide poor defenders on him because he’s not a big threat. This is how he’s a big threat. He also got out in transition for a layup and a dunk (that dunk was off a defensive blitz on Murray by AD and AC, forcing a turnover). He also had strong attack against the shotclock to score an And-1 layup over a man in the restricted circle. Defensively in that half, his biggest play might have been taking a charge on Jokic in the post to get him in foul trouble. Not a great second half as he couldn’t scratch on a couple attempts (blowing a reverse layup off a cut and then missing an open three with 8 minutes left...I want to see these late game threes drop for him). At the end of the night, all his hustle and his timely scoring in this game...he’s back where we’ve seen him with frequency, leading the team with a +16. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 5-7 shooting (0-1 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 26 minutes. He was a +16.

Rondo -- -- He drained a wing pull-up three when his man got rubbed on a screen. Later, he’d hit an iso wing three. These are extremely confident shots. Not a huge amount of playmaking in this one, but we did see another lob to AD on the break. He also got in on the off-ball movement, scoring a reverse when we found him. Down the stretch in this game, we rolled with Dwight, AD, LeBron, Green and Caruso to close. Dwight was giving us vertical spacing, LeBron, Green and AD all had perimeter shots falling. Nice to see Vogel switch things up with Rondo tonight. The team got rolling without him and Vogel kept the minutes limited. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-5 shooting (2-4 form three) to go with 3 boards, 4 assists, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 13 minutes. He was a -4.

McGee -- -- He went with the big fro tonight. I like it. Just 2 minutes where he had 2 fouls and a couple post up scores for Jokic. Not a good match up. The Nuggets shifted their rotation just a little to bring Jokic in earlier against him and Vogel didn’t stick with that match up. I imagine McGee regains his usual minutes in the next one regardless of the team. We’ll work from that starting lineup and adjust. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting to go with 1 board, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 2 minutes. He was a -2.

Morris -- -- We got him some good looks. He’d sink a corner three for his only hoop. The time and space for him was definitely better. Of course, we missed him wide open in the last game a couple of times. On D, he’d also block a drive on help. We went big in the fourth, though, in this one. Opposite of the last game where it was that smaller units and some sketchy minutes. Credit Vogel for really mixing things up and dialing in the Nuggets over the past two games. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-3 shooting from three to go with 3 boards, 1 block, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 14 minutes. He was a +6.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: It’s got to be that stretch where LeBron took over in the fourth. So certainly a great player makes a coach look good, but things really opened up for the Lakers when they ran the double high screen action and then the single high screens for LeBron late in that fourth. Once LeBron got into the paint and hit the fades, his range started to extend and the Lakers took the Nuggets heart.

Key Substitution: Let’s go with the closing unit of Dwight, AD, LeBron, Green and Caruso. That’s nearly the starting lineup, but with AC. Running Dwight in that fourth. Sitting Rondo and KCP. He really had a feel for the game tonight.

Key Stat: Jokic and Murray combining for 39 points. LeBron and AD went for 65. Our superstars also play some tremendous defense, too.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject:

1st? yeah!
12 down, 4 to go.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Great write-up DB!

Job's not done...but I'm so happy I get to see the Lakers play in the finals again with my Dad still being around.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject:

lordtrapula wrote:

Job's not done...but I'm so happy I get to see the Lakers play in the finals again with my Dad still being around.

Man, that hit home. Enjoy it. Wish my dad was still here for this one. Wish my son wasn't away in college.

Maybe I can get a Zoom session set up.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Had to come back and congratulate the LG family. Signed up here several years ago and often just browse nowadays, but this was a must post for all those members, new and old, which have stayed loyal during the last 10 years.

Special thanks to DB for getting these write-ups through this playoffs. Always love reading your recaps and the QFTO. Congrats DB on having to use the happy emojis tonight.

We're back LG!
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject:

I cherish these Laker moments.

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

Lakers back in the Finals, 4 more wins and they can dedicate #17 to Kobe's memory. At least one good thing can come in 2020!
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject:

thanks DB!

I got chills down my spine when LeBron took over late in the 4th. Seeing him hit dagger after dagger, especially in the midrange... man it felt like watching Kobe play again.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject:

This was the first game in the series that I've actually watched in its entirety (anxiety issues). Your recap nicely fills in the gaps of what I missed.

Thanks, DB!
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject:

LeBron and AD were unreal. Great to be back in the Finals!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Great write up DB.

So excited that they're back. Good they get at least 3 days rest between tonight and the next game.

Liked how they controlled most of the game. Did get concerned after the Dwight foul on Milsap - seemed to charge up the Nugs. But, unlike the Clippers, the Lakers settled down and took control on the fourth.

Big hats off to Lebron...just an insane performance tonight. And AD had a terrific night as well.

Funny how these two as a duo are just on a different level when compared to KL/PG13...its not even close.

Now we look to the finals. I think either of those teams will be difficult, since both play D. While our boys did beat Miami twice, their team has since gotten better (eg added Iggy, and Crowder, etc.).

With that said, for the most part the Lakers still have a size advantage over either team. There will be no Jokic there for AD, Javale, or Dwight to consider. Hopefully our "big" lineup will have the success it should.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!! Great write-up as always, man after all these years of T&R's through SO MANY bad games and disappointing seasons, you stuck with it! It's gotta feel great to see the other side of that canyon now, and write about the Lakers returning to the NBA FINALS, battling for Larry O'Brien once again!!

Man I am one happy camper to see the Lakers send Denver out of the bubble. That team just doesn't quit. They pout and piss and moan about the refs in complete denial of reality off the court, but on the court? They just flat out don't quit!! Like the Black Knight in Holy Grail; "It's only a flesh wound!"

It is SO good to see the Lakers send them packing.

And just gotta humbly say it once more; there IS a gap between the Clippers and the Lakers! Oh yeah!

LeBron and AD are everything advertised and more. Awesome.

Dwight Freaking Howard - what a complete transformation on so many levels, he knows his role, he's sticking to it and playing the most effective bball I've ever seen him play.

Playoff Rondo, Alex Caruso, KCP, talk about players stepping up this postseason! We finally have an answer to the long debate on whether we play KCP or Caruso. "Both" turns out to be the correct answer.

Kudos to the whole Laker squad and Vogel. 4 more wins!

GO LAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB and thanks to our boys. Can't believe it's been 10 years. Hopefully they have 4 more wins in them. Would put a teeny tiny damper on this horrible year.

GO LAKERS!
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject:

10 years of DB write-ups is the only thing that has made this drought tolerable. Now we can enjoy the moment for a bit while the team preps to bring that big trophy home.

Thanks for putting in the work DB. You're a big reason why the Lakers Nation is the best fanbase in the world.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks, guys.

(Yes, I’m back up a 5 am. Can’t sleep!!)
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject:

Great work DB!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject:

Great work, DB! Thanks for doing this year after year, through all the bad times.

Lakers are now 53-0 this season (regular + playoffs) when leading to start the 4th quarter.

4 more wins to go!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject:

The halfcourt offense we saw last night was what we need to do against Miami or Boston. Miami in particular will throw a lot of zone on us, and we need to carve it up with cutters and getting the ball into the middle.

Dwight, Lebron and Caruso were huge in this game.

Alex moved off the ball exactly how you want the other guys around the superstars to move. When he does that, and you see Lebron and AD reward him. It makes the opposing team look silly for their defensive schemes on our stars.

Dwight just can not be pushed back. It is a sight to see. There was a moment where one of the Denver guards drove by, Dwight came to help, and he was trying to bump Dwight into getting weak position. Dwight did not budge. His feet moved so well and his strength. Same with Joker, aside from 1-2 plays late in the game, Dwight gave Joker nothing easy. Nothing. The difference in how Dwight defended him and others, significant.

Lebron with an all time game. That was one game, a game for his legacy. What I loved most was that he rarely let Denver settle in and pack the paint with 4 guys. Often found the open cutter or spot up shooter. Could have easily had 5 more assists had guys hit their open 3s.

The Howard-Lebron screen-roll is actually more effective than Lebron with other bigs for some reason. We need to use a lot more of that in the NBA Finals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
forzaCOREA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject:

When we win the chip and yes we will win everyone better not write off this season with an asterisk cause the bubble. If anything I think this is probably the most difficult way to earn a title. Proud of our Lakers.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject:

forzaCOREA wrote:
When we win the chip and yes we will win everyone better not write off this season with an asterisk cause the bubble. If anything I think this is probably the most difficult way to earn a title. Proud of our Lakers.

No homecourt and less ‘pressure’ more beneficial to younger players
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject:

I love how the Lakers were exploring the pick and roll during the 4th quarter. Really opens it up for us.
FBP Si 2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject:

Have not posted in years but decided to post today! So happy for the Laker family! 4 more wins. Let's go!!!
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject:

Unlike the clippers, the Lakers team has leadership and friendship. These guys go to battle for one another. Kudos to Pelinka for putting together a winning roster. We know the roster isn’t perfect, but it works.

Dwight was huge
Caruso played solid
AD was incredible to watch

Lebron, well, what can anyone say? As much as Jordan might continue to be called the greatest, Lebron is right there too. 9 finals appearances, 3 franchises, puts up massive game 5 dagger performance.
Just hope all Lebron haters are eating lots of crow sh*t today!! Suck it, all of you haters.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

Man, it feels so good to be back!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: