What docs have you been watching?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: What docs have you been watching?

We have a film thread and a TV thread. I thought it might be cool to have one that focuses on documentaries.

I've watched a few lately that I enjoyed. I mentioned one, Class Action Park, in the 1980's thread. It's about a thrill ride park in New York that reached the height of its popularity in the 80's. It was stunningly dangerous place with no real safety oversight and people reflect on what it was like to go there. It's an interesting look not only at what the park was all about, but a reflection on what the '80's attitude was like.

Another one, Tread, is about an event some people may remember where a guy who got angered by what he saw as small town politics out to ruin him builds a "Killdozer" and goes on a rampage destroying the businesses of his rivals. It does a great job of using his taped "manifesto" to document his growing anger with the people in the town and contrasts it with the viewpoints of those he went after. It ends with footage of the rampage by the deviously designed and virtually unstoppable, armored dozer.

And then there's Have a Good Trip: Adventures in Psychedelics. As one person described it as "a wonderfully built look at your brain on drugs — but in a good way." It's a collection of stories from celebrities who discuss their experimentation with the various psychedelics, LSD, mushrooms and peyote. It's funny and freaky and is full of head nodding moments for those who have done their own experimentation.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject:

I've seen a few on PBS2, mostly having to do with Hispanic heritage. I don't remember their titles, but one was about undocumented workers in NYC...organizing for better pay and benefits.

I watch a lot of PBS and PBS2.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Any David Attenborough nature documentary.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

I saw the entire Tread. I don't remember that story at all, but he reminded me of a whiny woe is me Trumper. Also saw the one on Netflix called My Octopus Teacher. Fascinating critters, this guy had befriended one in the S. African cape, but the seascapes were magnificent. It was like Ringo's Octopus' Garden. I also saw a bizarre one about some 70s era ped that kept getting weirder and weirder even for that kind of story. Forgot title, but it's on Netflix. The family of the victim were painfully stupid and naive. Saw the one about the NY Mafia in the 70s on Netflix multiparter. Even saw a Rubik's cube doc, I tend to give almost any doc on Netflix a spin, (get it?, Rubik's and spin?)

Also saw the Go-Go's one and the ATL kid murders series on Showtime awhile back. A little while back, saw the Natalie Wood doc on HBO by her family including Wagner which was excellent. Saw the entire "The Dawn Wall" about freeclimbers trying to tackle El Capitan which was lowwwng, trust. (I like docus).
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

My fav was watching Doc Rivers get fired....!
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject:

I just watched Class Action Park and it was great. I loved the antics that Gene pulled like “let’s fake taser a kid to scare all the other kids from sneaking in” or the ball in a ball ride and cannonball loop.

On Netflix I watched American Murder: The Family Next Door and thought it was interesting even if the subject (did the husband do it?) is pretty common for murder docs.

On HBO I’ve caught up on some older ones like The Cheshire Murders which is just BRUTAL. There’s another hbo one but the name eludes me, it’s about a girl who encourages/convinces her bf to commit suicide through text/phone calls. I found that one fascinating.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I just watched Class Action Park and it was great. I loved the antics that Gene pulled like “let’s fake taser a kid to scare all the other kids from sneaking in” or the ball in a ball ride and cannonball loop.

On Netflix I watched American Murder: The Family Next Door and thought it was interesting even if the subject (did the husband do it?) is pretty common for murder docs.

On HBO I’ve caught up on some older ones like The Cheshire Murders which is just BRUTAL. There’s another hbo one but the name eludes me, it’s about a girl who encourages/convinces her bf to commit suicide through text/phone calls. I found that one fascinating.

Caught Family Next Door. Yeah, obvious one from start, even when the neighbor said he was acting odd. You could tell after the fact that he didn't account for the neighbor having a RING doorbell Dude gets crazed by some "strange" and kills his family. So common in these forensic type shows that it's a thing. Scott Peterson. The alternate is the wife doing the same thing, but when the kids are involved, it's rarer. They put up some stats at the end saying as much. Women do kray stuff too, but usually not to that extreme.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

He's played in the same documentary every stop he's been in. Philly's up next.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I saw the entire Tread. I don't remember that story at all, but he reminded me of a whiny woe is me Trumper. Also saw the one on Netflix called My Octopus Teacher. Fascinating critters, this guy had befriended one in the S. African cape, but the seascapes were magnificent. It was like Ringo's Octopus' Garden. I also saw a bizarre one about some 70s era ped that kept getting weirder and weirder even for that kind of story. Forgot title, but it's on Netflix. The family of the victim were painfully stupid and naive. Saw the one about the NY Mafia in the 70s on Netflix multiparter. Even saw a Rubik's cube doc, I tend to give almost any doc on Netflix a spin, (get it?, Rubik's and spin?)

Also saw the Go-Go's one and the ATL kid murders series on Showtime awhile back. A little while back, saw the Natalie Wood doc on HBO by her family including Wagner which was excellent. Saw the entire "The Dawn Wall" about freeclimbers trying to tackle El Capitan which was lowwwng, trust. (I like docus).

Yes! I knew I was forgetting one. That one really resonated with me. As someone who started scuba diving in kelp forests, it really captured what that experience is like - very different than reefs and blue water diving. And the octopus is by far my favorite critter to encounter. They are fascinating to watch as they move, and when you come across an inquisitive one, it's quite the experience.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

He's played in the same documentary every stop he's been in. Philly's up next.

Ooooohh, can't wait to see that one....!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Yes! I knew I was forgetting one. That one really resonated with me. As someone who started scuba diving in kelp forests, it really captured what that experience is like - very different than reefs and blue water diving. And the octopus is by far my favorite critter to encounter. They are fascinating to watch as they move, and when you come across an inquisitive one, it's quite the experience.

That one was seriously impressive. He got film of some maneouvres I haven't seen before and I've watched animal docs since I was a kid. Shark comes for it and it picks up a pile of shells and debris and sticks it all over itself, makes itself a ball of trash. Shark still rips into it so it gets on the shark's dorsal fin and rides it with the stuff still stuck to it. It hid in kelp by sticking the kelp all around it w/ only an eye poking out and finally got onto a rock out of the water til the shark left. No behaviors taught to it by a parent since the mother dies while spawning. Nature, man...makes you verklempt.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

That one was seriously impressive. He got film of some maneouvres I haven't seen before and I've watched animal docs since I was a kid. Shark comes for it and it picks up a pile of shells and debris and sticks it all over itself, makes itself a ball of trash. Shark still rips into it so it gets on the shark's dorsal fin and rides it with the stuff still stuck to it. It hid in kelp by sticking the kelp all around it w/ only an eye poking out and finally got onto a rock out of the water til the shark left. No behaviors taught to it by a parent since the mother dies while spawning. Nature, man...makes you verklempt.

I'm not one prone to fantastical notions about aliens existing on the planet at one point or another. But there is something astonishing about the levels of intelligence and creativity in problem solving that octopuses exhibit, particularly in captivity. It does make one wonder if they are perhaps the result of some kind of former alien life.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I'm not one prone to fantastical notions about aliens existing on the planet at one point or another. But there is something astonishing about the levels of intelligence and creativity in problem solving that octopuses exhibit, particularly in captivity. It does make one wonder if they are perhaps the result of some kind of former alien life.

Not to be short, but I would imagine mollusks without shells would select for intelligence and camo over time, but how did they select for not having shells to begin with? They talk about the Amazon or Madagascar or Australia as a crucible for weirdness and alienish creatures, but the ocean is the true king realm of the bizarro (after the Trump Admin, maybe, lizard people ghouls like Rudy, Stephen Miller, et al). Even if not alien, it makes it that much easier to ponder what kind of freakish creatures there are one some other Earthlike planet out there. Was watching some Sharkweek stuff the other day and they're still filming new behaviors from great whites, much less coelecanths and the like.

Btw, you got any foreboding anecdotes about diving? Anyone attacked by a shark or someone who got the bends or somethin? You got any yarns?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject:

No Safe Spaces
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8363914/

The Rise of Jordan Peterson
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10469384/

Uncle Tom
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9708358/

Created Equal
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10256238/
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Inmate #1: The Rise of Danny Trejo

Quote:
From an early life of drugs, armed robbery and hard prison time, to the red carpets of Hollywood blockbusters and helping troubled addicts, Danny gives a firsthand account of one of the greatest transformations of the human character ever put to film. Having spent 71 years starring in a personal expedition that outshines any Hollywood fiction, this is the shocking story of one man's capacity to overcome his demons.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Holliday
Hollywood
Brown
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Not to be short, but I would imagine mollusks without shells would select for intelligence and camo over time, but how did they select for not having shells to begin with? They talk about the Amazon or Madagascar or Australia as a crucible for weirdness and alienish creatures, but the ocean is the true king realm of the bizarro (after the Trump Admin, maybe, lizard people ghouls like Rudy, Stephen Miller, et al). Even if not alien, it makes it that much easier to ponder what kind of freakish creatures there are one some other Earthlike planet out there. Was watching some Sharkweek stuff the other day and they're still filming new behaviors from great whites, much less coelecanths and the like.

Btw, you got any foreboding anecdotes about diving? Anyone attacked by a shark or someone who got the bends or somethin? You got any yarns?

Oddly enough, it's not really sharks that are the problem when diving. Shark attacks on divers (outside of abalone divers) are pretty rare compared to other activities. I have dived with a ton of sharks, blues, black tips, gray reef, sand tigers, hammerheads and never once felt in any real peril.

But I know a hunch of people who have been attacked or harassed by other critters. I know a couple of people who have been bitten by moray eels, and there are several bigger reef fish who who charge and nip at you if you get too close to nests, but for the most part sea critters just go about their business.

The only time I have been attacked by a creature while diving was actually by a sea lion. I was in the Sea of Cortez way back when. We were at a little island couplet called Isla Lobos in the Los Islotes islands. Isla Lobos is a sea lion rookery and we were there at the end of calving season. Lots of curious little pups swimming around who like to come check you out and even play - bite on yours fins and yank, blow bubbles in your face, they'll even grab a little rock and drop it by you and then wait for you to toss it away so they can grab it again, just like fetch with a dog. The moms usually watch cautiously and intervene only when they feel things are getting uncomfortable, but it's only to nudge the pups away and get between you and them.

The bulls are a different story. There are just a few of them, because they have "harems". They sit on the rocks or in the shallows keeping an eye on things. Anyway, I was taking photos and even though I was warned by the guides not to get to close to any of the bulls, I swam into the gap between the two islets where there were a bunch of sea lions congregated. It was all good for a while. Lots of playful pups and I was snapping away. I kept getting shallower and nearer the rocky shore. And then I saw a big guy dive into the water nearby and start swimming side to side while barking under water. Like an idiot I just sat there and watched him while trying to get some pictures. When I say "big guy" I mean these guys are 10 feet long and weigh a literal ton. So he stops swimming side to side and squares up on meet about 20 feet away and just looks at me, and right away I knew I had screwed up. All his fins pumped in one motion and he was charging me. All I saw was that big, knotty skull lowered and driving at me and was certain he was going to ram me right in the gut, so I shoved my camera out in front of my chest like it would do any good. At the last second, he barked a big bunch of bubbles right in my face and then used one of his front flippers to smack me hard in the head.

So, I spun around kinda of dazed and there he is hanging there about 20 feet away giving me that same look. Great . . . he's blocking the only way for me to get away from him and into the deeper water. He sits there for a moment and then starts to circle me. As soon as he moved behind me I kicked as hard as I could for the open water. After several seconds I looked back and he was slowly following me to make sure I wasn't coming back.

As for getting bent. I have a couple of friends who have been to hyperbaric chambers for treatment after feeling symptoms. I even have one hard core friend from back in the day who did his own decompression treatment after violating the dive tables by staying underwater for a few hours while people brought replacement tanks to him until the tables indicated he was in the clear.

And unfortunately, I know two people who died. One from doing a truly stupid bounce dive way deeper than recreational limits and came up too fast. He was pretty much dead when he reached what should have been his safety stop. The other was a friend who was diving for lobster the night of the season opener and didn't pay close attention to his air. He apparently ran out and panicked, and rather than ditch his weight belt and try and make the surface, he drowned.

Basically, the bad (bleep) that happens underwater virtually always comes down to careless people doing stupid and avoidable stuff.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What docs have you been watching?

DaMuleRules wrote:
We have a film thread and a TV thread. I thought it might be cool to have one that focuses on documentaries.

I've watched a few lately that I enjoyed. I mentioned one, Class Action Park, in the 1980's thread. It's about a thrill ride park in New York that reached the height of its popularity in the 80's. It was stunningly dangerous place with no real safety oversight and people reflect on what it was like to go there. It's an interesting look not only at what the park was all about, but a reflection on what the '80's attitude was like.

Another one, Tread, is about an event some people may remember where a guy who got angered by what he saw as small town politics out to ruin him builds a "Killdozer" and goes on a rampage destroying the businesses of his rivals. It does a great job of using his taped "manifesto" to document his growing anger with the people in the town and contrasts it with the viewpoints of those he went after. It ends with footage of the rampage by the deviously designed and virtually unstoppable, armored dozer.

And then there's Have a Good Trip: Adventures in Psychedelics. As one person described it as "a wonderfully built look at your brain on drugs — but in a good way." It's a collection of stories from celebrities who discuss their experimentation with the various psychedelics, LSD, mushrooms and peyote. It's funny and freaky and is full of head nodding moments for those who have done their own experimentation.

Did this include anything about the psychedelic pioneer Terrence McKenna? Went to see him at a talk years ago. Ironically (or maybe not) he died of brain cancer.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What docs have you been watching?

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Did this include anything about the psychedelic pioneer Terrence McKenna? Went to see him at a talk years ago. Ironically (or maybe not) he died of brain cancer.

That's a good question. I don't recall. But the doc was made years after he passed.

I should be clear, I don't recommend the doc because I advocate indiscriminate use of hallucinogens. I just found it to be an interesting reflection of some people's experiences with them.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Right this minute:

https://www.pbs.org/show/finding-your-roots/
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Basically, the bad (bleep) that happens underwater virtually always comes down to careless people doing stupid and avoidable stuff.

Great yarns there, I knew you'd have some. Interestingly, they supposedly only recently filmed great whites warding other ones away when there's food to protect. Seems to be a sized-based thing like it is with other animals like sea lions. They swim directly at the one coming in and the bigger one will do a head shake maneuver that apparently tells the other, don't even try me. Kinda sounds like your bull sea lion. Different species, but I remember an animal docu on leopard seals, might've even been a Steve Irwin one. They showed footage of the seals coming to within a few inches of a diver's face/cam and suddenly stopping with their jaws fully agape. They have a formidable set of fangs. I wouldn't even want to go anywhere near seals of any type, especially pups. You know why. Those bi-coloured effers that can jet from below would never leave my mind. Underwater boat mounted cams show how they (GWSes) descend and camo among the dark recesses in seal territories. And in other vids, they're like leviathans that slowly come to the surface as a large shadow without even disturbing the water's skin. Saw one like that taken at Cape Cod.

https://wpclipart.com/animals/aquatic/seal/leopard_seal/Leopard_seal_teeth.jpg
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject:

Documentary Now on Netflix. It's an amazing series that covers a wide variety of topics. My personal favorite is about a restaurant in Colombia.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

Watched a couple on US deployment in Afghanistan (Restrepo and Korengal). Tough to watch, and I've seen many war docs before.

The Social Dilemma on Netflix. You already know the majority of what's being said, but it still hits home. Turned off the majority of notifications on my iPhone the minute the film finished.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
Watched a couple on US deployment in Afghanistan (Restrepo and Korengal). Tough to watch, and I've seen many war docs before.

The Social Dilemma on Netflix. You already know the majority of what's being said, but it still hits home. Turned off the majority of notifications on my iPhone the minute the film finished.

I saw Restrepo.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject:

I posted this elsewhere, but since this a documentary thread, will do it here:

PBS Frontline: America's Great Divide

https://www.pbs.org/video/americas-great-divide-from-obama-to-trump-part-one-8wtjss/

I highly recommend it. Covers Obama presidency through Trump with input from different sources. Tries to identify major points as to how we got to a point of extreme partisanship.

As an aside, it tends to be, IMO, fairly objective in its presentation. It can be unsettling to watch, but is informative. For some of you probably covers things you already knew, but is still well done, IMO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10
Jump to: