Official JEANIE BUSS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:15 am    Post subject:

What Jeannie really needs to do is even the playing field. She’s competing with billionaires and the landscape has changed. She needs outside capital and counsel. Our inability to go deep into the luxury tax is preventing us from some our natural competitive advantages.

To win a championship, it requires rosters that go well past the luxury tax. I’m hoping she can look at alma mater USC and see what Lincoln Riley has done in the past year. Going outside the family is her best route.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:32 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
What Jeannie really needs to do is even the playing field. She’s competing with billionaires and the landscape has changed. She needs outside capital and counsel. Our inability to go deep into the luxury tax is preventing us from some our natural competitive advantages.

To win a championship, it requires rosters that go well past the luxury tax. I’m hoping she can look at alma mater USC and see what Lincoln Riley has done in the past year. Going outside the family is her best route.

If she wants to succeed this is her only route.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

So she should give up a chunk of her share in the family trust to deepen the pockets? Besides that reportedly being impossible, she would no longer be in control since her siblings would have more ownership in the family trust.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

1. The Lakers already are deep into the luxury tax.

2. The Busses don't have any way to get significant outside capital that they can use to pay more in salaries. All they can do is sell their interest in the Lakers to some very rich person who will spend more, but there's no indication they have any interest in doing that.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

building our own arena was the only way for her to gain significant income, and obviously she passed on that. don't tell me it doesn't work because the Warriors earned almost twice as much as us even after paying all those taxes.
by the way, Lincoln Riley brought the best player in college football with him, without Caleb Williams, USC would be under .500. he is a great coach, don't get me wrong.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

What she needs to do is to hire the best people available and GTFO of the way.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
ahaider wrote:

building our own arena was the only way for her to gain significant income, and obviously she passed on that. don't tell me it doesn't work because the Warriors earned almost twice as much as us even after paying all those taxes.
by the way, Lincoln Riley brought the best player in college football with him, without Caleb Williams, USC would be under .500. he is a great coach, don't get me wrong.

Seems like Jeanie isn't very smart when it comes to making business investment/decisions. Don't even know what she's good at. It's why the Lakers are where they are rn and it's only 10 years in. Most of her wealth comes from her dad.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject:

More money would help, obviously. The Warriors and Clippers have an advantage over the rest of the NBA. They can keep adding to their teams without worrying about the luxury tax.

But, this team has spent money poorly in the past. Westbrook increased the luxury tax by a lot to make the team a lot worse.

The past front office spent big money on Mozgov and Deng.

Money still needs to be used wisely, even if the Lakers one day get to spend like the Warriors and Clippers.

If you want hope, maybe the Buss family eventually gives in after seeing these sale prices sports teams are fetching. The Suns were just bought for $4 billion after being calculated as being worth $2.7 billion by Forbes in October.

The Lakers were calculated to be worth $5.9 billion by Forbes in October, so imagine how much the Buss family could get for them. There's gotta be some point where the dollars become too much to pass up.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ahaider wrote:

So she should give up a chunk of her share in the family trust to deepen the pockets? Besides that reportedly being impossible, she would no longer be in control since her siblings would have more ownership in the family trust.

Technically speaking, she is one of the beneficiaries of a trust, and thus has no actual “share” that she can sell in part or in whole.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
There's gotta be some point where the dollars become too much to pass up.

People have been saying this for a long, long time. I’ll believe it when I see it.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject:

sell the team pls.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Japago wrote:
There's gotta be some point where the dollars become too much to pass up.

People have been saying this for a long, long time. I’ll believe it when I see it.

I think it will be what’s happening with the team and lack of success vs the money. She and her family have great lives monetarily. I’m sure Jim is smiling.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Fans should boycott going to the games in person until the Buss kids sell. Stop paying to see this garbage product.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject:

This idiot right here too busy going to orgies to realize this team is in the gutter.

Probably snorting coke of off peoples buttocks.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject:

TMG wrote:
This idiot right here too busy going to orgies to realize this team is in the gutter.

This is amazing.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
TMG wrote:

This is amazing.

Last edited by TMG on Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject:

She is turning into Frank McCourt in front of our eyes
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Nothing has changed on the Buss family ownership front, instead of Jim, you get Jeanie but the same incompetence of the post-Jerry Buss era. Guessing a decade will pass before they decide to throw in the towel and sell. If you want to take an example of what bad ownership can do just look down south at the Angels organization. Took them nearly a decade of mediocrity before the owner decided to sell.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Hypothetically if the Lakers are on the market how much would the winning bid be? The Glazers are selling off Manchester United by Q1 2023 for reportedly around £6B. Figure we'd go for right around there...
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Fans should boycott going to the games in person until the Buss kids sell. Stop paying to see this garbage product.

Which fans are you talking about?

Im pretty sure most of the crowd is having a great time watching James dunks and chanting “MVP” for Westbrook. Ignoring the airballs, turnovers and piss poor defensive effort in losses.

Lakers are more concerned with entertainment and marketing than winning. That is not changing anytime soon. By the time they do, a generation of NBA fans will only know them as irrelevant and great comedy.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Hypothetically if the Lakers are on the market how much would the winning bid be? The Glazers are selling off Manchester United by Q1 2023 for reportedly around £6B. Figure we'd go for right around there...

I think they could get $10B+.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Don't think so, especially in this market. The Suns went for $4B; $6B to $7B would be the most the Lakers would be sold for.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

That would make all six Buss kids instant billionaires before taxes since they each own 11% stake. I'd say they take it and run or they risk having Jeanie run the team into the ground.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Don't think so, especially in this market. The Suns went for $4B; $6B to $7B would be the most the Lakers would be sold for.

The lakers estimated to worth 5.9B, and you have to pay premium. 8-10B is easy to get
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
ahaider wrote:

What she needs to do is to hire the best people available and GTFO of the way.

I agree but the problem is that she obviously does not understand that because she hires her friends and Pelinka who was Kobe's agent.

Despite having Lebron, our team have been a failure.

Her reasoning and logic is clearly lacking.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 18 of 22
Jump to: