Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 307, 308, 309 ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Dont just say putrid offense. Lets be specific. JT who doesnt have his timing. Pollock and Trea who are just weak-minded chokers in general. Yea these 3 specifically are the ones killing the offense. Guys like Betts, Lux, Bellinger, Seager and Taylor are fine.

I don't know what the definition of fine is, but here are Seager's numbers in 8 games:

Quote:
32 AB
7 hits
7 strikeouts
3 walks
1 HR
4 RBI

.219 avg
.286 obp
.406 slg
.692 ops

And here are his career numbers:

Quote:
57 games
217 AB
53 hits
60 strikeouts
25 walks
12 HR
34 RBI

.221 avg
.290 obp
.393 slg
.683 ops
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Dont just say putrid offense. Lets be specific. JT who doesnt have his timing. Pollock and Trea who are just weak-minded chokers in general. Yea these 3 specifically are the ones killing the offense. Guys like Betts, Lux, Bellinger, Seager and Taylor are fine.

I don't know what the definition of fine is, but here are Seager's numbers in 8 games:

32 AB
7 hits
7 strikeouts
3 walks
1 HR
4 RBI

.219 avg
.286 obp
.406 slg
.692 ops

You cant just look at numbers and say they played a good game with a small sample size. Watch their at-bats and Seager has had some key hits in big moments even in these playoffs. Did Trea Turner have a good game in Game 1 by going 2-4? NOPE his hits were low leverage moments and when we needed him in a key at-bat he did his typical choke job swinging at a clear ball like a moron routine. Watching their at-bats its clear who has what it takes in the playoffs and who doesnt.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Anything can happen in small sample sizes. Betts still failed with a man on 3rd and 1 out in Game 1. Strikeout, foulout, doesn't matter, he still failed. If he hit the ball on the button right at someone, that's different and you simply chalk that up to bad luck. It's been a teamwide problem all season long in tight games. Collectively, we just aren't getting it done. We drew 9 walks last night and just couldn't get a big hit, save for Taylor's AB. We have 2 hits with RISP in the series, and we've had threats in most of the innings. And their bullpen is not very good. Think of Trea bouncing into double plays at horrible times. Then in the 9th last night he flies one to the wall when in other situations, that would score a run. Our situational hitting has been a disaster.

As for the Urias move last night, it was "cute", but it's also how we won the World Series last year. We used an opener in Game 5. We used Scherzer to close out Game 5. Rightly or wrongly, we've been willing to go against convention, so it was at least logical to bring Julio in and think he could get the first 2 hitters (lefties) out, based on how we've used him in the past.

The bottom line is that we just aren't executing well enough, and when you couple that with some bad luck (Game 3's hit-a-thon of balls right at people or knocked-down-by-the-wind HR's, last night's overly aggressive Braves baserunning that they got rewarded with, and they hit a ball hard right at a defender but we can't make the play), well, we're 4-4 in the postseason and down 2-0 in this series and in trouble.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Quote:
32 AB
7 hits
7 strikeouts
3 walks
1 HR
4 RBI

.219 avg
.286 obp
.406 slg
.692 ops

And here are his career numbers:

Quote:
57 games
217 AB
53 hits
60 strikeouts
25 walks
12 HR
34 RBI

.221 avg
.290 obp
.393 slg
.683 ops

Telling us to look at his career playoff numbers is worthless when its obvious the quality of his at bats have made a drastic improvement from earlier in his career. Why not tell us to look at Bellinger's playoff numbers as well? Looking at his playoff career numbers and his regular season numbers this year, there is no damn way you would have foreseen what he has produced in the playoffs so far. But if you watch their at bats closely its obvious Bellinger and Seager have made drastic improvements in keeping their cool at the plate and not letting the moment get too big. Case in point, Bellinger vs the Astros in 2017 where his mentality then was similar to Pollock and Trea Turner right now where he had no confidence, discipline and was just being a straight choker in general.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Telling us to look at his career playoff numbers is worthless when its obvious the quality of his at bats have made a drastic improvement from earlier in his career. Why not tell us to look at Bellinger's playoff numbers as well? Looking at his playoff career numbers and his regular season numbers this year, there is no damn way you would have foreseen what he has produced in the playoffs so far. But if you watch their at bats closely its obvious Bellinger and Seager have made drastic improvements in keeping their cool at the plate and not letting the moment get too big. Case in point, Bellinger vs the Astros in 2017 where his mentality then was similar to Pollock and Trea Turner right now where he had no confidence, discipline and was just being a straight choker in general.

Yeah, it's up to you. I'm not telling anyone to look at anything. All I can do is present facts. You can cover up your eyes if you want, that's your choice. I can't make you look at any numbers.

But, we praised him, gave him MVP for his numbers last year. It's up to you if you want to look at the numbers or not.

If numbers don't matter, so be it. If you think we'll win a WS this year with Seager putting up these numbers, cool.

I hope you're right...

Like I told you, I don't know what the definition of fine is, but if Seager's performance this year so far is fine to you, then great!

You're probably hoping he continues to produce the same "fine" numbers throughout the rest of the playoffs. I'm hoping for more. But, then again, everyone has a different opinion.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Yeah, it's up to you. We praised him, gave him MVP for his numbers last year. It's up to you if you want to look at the numbers or not.

If numbers don't matter, so be it. If you think we'll win a WS this year with Seager putting up these numbers, cool.

I hope you're right...

I guess what Im trying to say is that ultimately yes numbers do matter because they are a reflection of who they are and given a large enough sample size, it will reflect who these players are. My thing is a guy like Seager and Justin Turner who I can see are either unlucky or just lost their timing has a chance to be productive and be good in big moments and eventually their numbers will reflect the quality of their at-bats and even if it doesnt, there is at least hope for them. Guys like Trea Turner and Pollock however, can boost their batting averages/numbers in low leverage moments thanks to their talent (like Trea Turner going 2 for 4 in game 1 with both hits in low leverage moments) but in tight playoff games, these guys are completely useless. Guys like Trea and Pollock will put up nice numbers in the playoffs in a blowout or when the opposing pitcher is falling apart.In a tense close match though, you might as well have Urias batting
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Baseball is just too random. Any team can beat any team any night.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Yeah, it's up to you. We praised him, gave him MVP for his numbers last year. It's up to you if you want to look at the numbers or not.

I hope you're right...

I guess what Im trying to say is that ultimately yes numbers do matter because they are a reflection of who they are and given a large enough sample size, it will reflect who these players are. My thing is a guy like Seager and Justin Turner who I can see are either unlucky or just lost their timing has a chance to be productive and be good in big moments and eventually their numbers will reflect the quality of their at-bats and even if it doesnt, there is at least hope for them. Guys like Trea Turner and Pollock however, can boost their batting averages/numbers in low leverage moments thanks to their talent (like Trea Turner going 2 for 4 in game 1 with both hits in low leverage moments) but in tight playoff games, these guys are completely useless. Guys like Trea and Pollock will put up nice numbers in the playoffs in a blowout or when the opposing pitcher is falling apart.In a tense close match though, you might as well have Urias batting

The playoffs are always a small sample size. That's the difference between the reg season and the playoffs.

1) The reg season is a measure of who can perform over a very large sample size

2) The playoffs is a measure of who can perform in a very small sample size.

That's it. In order to move on in the playoffs, you have to perform, bottom line. There's no guarantee that you'll get more ABs to eventually perform.

So, I don't know how to judge. If we can't judge on current numbers (due to small sample size), or career numbers (due to spanning too many years), or numbers in general (due to being unlucky)...

Then, honestly, I don't know how to judge.

But I do know that Rosario and Riley are killing us, and it seems a part of the reason why is that, they are actually producing. If those 2 were just making outs with "quality ABs" I think we'd be up 2-0 right now..
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

It is more random than other sports, but the better team usually wins though.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

It is random in the way they you can hit a blistering line drive at someone for an out, and you can drive in a winning run with a bloop single.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

I hope you're right...

The playoffs are always a small sample size. That's the difference between the reg season and the playoffs.

That's it. In order to move on in the playoffs, you have to perform, bottom line. There's no guarantee that you'll get more ABs to eventually perform.

So, I don't know how to judge. If we can't judge on current numbers (due to small sample size), or career numbers (due to spanning too many years), or numbers in general (due to being unlucky)...

But I do know that Rosario and Riley are killing us, and it seems a part of the reason why is that, they are actually producing. If those 2 were just making outs with "quality ABs" I think we'd be up 2-0 right now..

I think we have to judge them by the quality of their at bats right now. Using Seager as an example, early in his career his playoffs at bats were just downright horrific in big moments and you could see the moment was too big for him based on pitches he would whiff on in the regular season and in the postseason. Take the Seager of 2016 and no way in hell am I confident that he will have gotten that hit in Game 5 vs the Giants to drive in the first run vs Webb. Or try Bellinger in 2017 vs the Astros. You think that Belli would have gotten the hit to drive in the winning run vs the Giants?

Also a hitter producing is not just on the hitter. Rosario and Riley are locked in but if our pitchers made good pitches, it wouldnt have mattered as they would have been out. Hence the best thing you can ask for from hitters is to have quality at bats and live with the results which is why I dont harp on Justin Turner or Corey Seager but I get on chokers like AJ Pollock and Trea Turner. The former two actually has a chance to put up good numbers in the end. Pollock and T. Turner are hopeless unless they change themselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

I hope you're right...

I think we have to judge them by the quality of their at bats right now. Using Seager as an example, early in his career his playoffs at bats were just downright horrific in big moments and you could see the moment was too big for him based on pitches he would whiff on in the regular season and in the postseason. Take the Seager of 2016 and no way in hell am I confident that he will have gotten that hit in Game 5 vs the Giants to drive in the first run vs Webb. Or try Bellinger in 2017 vs the Astros. You think that Belli would have gotten the hit to drive in the winning run vs the Giants?

Also a hitter producing is not just on the hitter. Rosario and Riley are locked in but if our pitchers made good pitches, it wouldnt have mattered as they would have been out. Hence the best thing you can ask for from hitters is to have quality at bats and live with the results which is why I dont harp on Justin Turner or Corey Seager but I get on chokers like AJ Pollock and Trea Turner. The former two actually has a chance to put up good numbers in the end. Pollock and T. Turner are hopeless unless they change themselves.

Like I said, if Seager continues to produce these "quality ABs" w/o results, we might be down 3-0 tomorrow.

And if he finishes the playoffs with these "quality ABs" but no results, I don't think he'll be a Dodger next year.

I've seen alot of "quality" swinging from the knees strikeouts and weak dribblers though.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Well this is a disaster. Roberts announced that Julio may not start Game 4 and that they may give him an extra day, meaning Game 5. He said that one of those games will be a bullpen game for sure, so we definitely aren't coming back with Max on short rest and he would go in a Game 6, if we get there.

We aren't executing and seem spent from the travails of this season. Not liking the vibes on this at all.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Well this is a disaster. Roberts announced that Julio may not start Game 4 and that they may give him an extra day, meaning Game 5. He said that one of those games will be a bullpen game for sure, so we definitely aren't coming back with Max on short rest and he would go in a Game 6, if we get there.

We aren't executing and seem spent from the travails of this season. Not liking the vibes on this at all.

I think this is what I originally thought when the series started.

Atlanta is going with a BP game 4 and Fried in game 5. I was thinking we might go BP game 4 and one of our big 3 in game 5.

I think we feel confident that our BP game beats their BP game.

So, the matchup looks like:

Game 3 - Buehler vs. Morton
Game 4 - BP vs. BP
Game 5 - Urias vs. Fried
Game 6 - Scherzer vs. Ian Anderson
Game 7 - Buehler vs. Morton

I don't know what the line was in game 1, but I know we were favored in game 2. I'd guess we'd be favored in the remaining 5 games.

Just looked it up, looks like we were favored in game 1 as well.

It'd be weird to lose a series in which you're favored in 7/7 games.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Alright now Roberts is fair game to criticize as a moron. I accepted his decision with Urias believing him when he said Julio would for sure be ready for Game 4 but if this short bullpen (bleep) is throwing off our starters when it wasnt absolutely necessary, then both him and the front office need to be criticized for this.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I think this is what I originally thought when the series started.

Atlanta is going with a BP game 4 and Fried in game 5. I was thinking we might go BP game 4 and one of our big 3 in game 5.

I think we feel confident that our BP game beats their BP game.

So, the matchup looks like:

Game 3 - Buehler vs. Morton
Game 4 - BP vs. BP
Game 5 - Urias vs. Fried
Game 6 - Scherzer vs. Ian Anderson
Game 7 - Buehler vs. Morton

I don't know what the line was in game 1, but I know we were favored in game 2. I'd guess we'd be favored in the remaining 5 games.

Just looked it up, looks like we were favored in game 1 as well.

It'd be weird to lose a series in which you're favored in 7/7 games.

Yeah, I'm actually ok with this.

Pitching hasn't been our problem and if our bats don't show up with RISP, we won't win no matter who is pitching.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Alright now Roberts is fair game to criticize as a moron. I accepted his decision with Urias believing him when he said Julio would for sure be ready for Game 4 but if this short bullpen (bleep) is throwing off our starters when it wasnt absolutely necessary, then both him and the front office need to be criticized for this.

Yeah, we were always going to need 2 BP games this series if we wanted 5 starts from our big 3 on full rest.

It's either that or 1 BP game and 6 starts from our big 3, but the last 3 starts were going to all be on short rest. It would have looked like this:

Game 1: BP game
Game 2: Scherzer
Game 3: Buehler
Game 4: Urias
Game 5: Scherzer (short rest)
Game 6: Buehler (short rest)
Game 7: Urias (short rest)

I don't think this was ever in play. I think we were always going to go with 2 BP games. The question then was, when did we want the 2nd BP game. Game 4, 5, or 6?

Game 4 lets us matchup with Atlanta's scheduled BP game.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Yeah, we were always going to need 2 BP games this series if we wanted 5 starts from our big 3 on full rest.

It's either that or 1 BP game and 6 starts from our big 3, but the last 3 starts were going to all be on short rest. It would have looked like this:

Game 1: BP game
Game 2: Scherzer
Game 3: Buehler
Game 4: Urias
Game 5: Scherzer (short rest)
Game 6: Buehler (short rest)
Game 7: Urias (short rest)

I don't think this was ever in play. I think we were always going to go with 2 BP games. The question then was, when did we want the 2nd BP game. Game 4, 5, or 6?

Game 4 lets us matchup with Atlanta's scheduled BP game.

All true and makes sense
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Easy to second guess when it doesn't work out, but I didn't understand going to Urias there instead of one of your regular relievers.

I get the impression the Dodgers are a little emotionally worn out after the Giants series and last month of the season chasing them.

Obviously, Game 3 is a must win and we would be right back in the series but it would be nice to still have Kike and/or Joc still on the team.

We need to let that go man. They're not walking through that door any time soon.

Dodgers have more than enough star players to overcome that. They just need to start playing like it.

I know you are right but Kike is carrying the Red Sox and Joc is making himself into a cult idol in Atlanta.

We just need to win tomorrow and things will be looking a lot brighter.

Might be nice to play a more "traditional" form of baseball as far as managing the pitching staff also, I think they have gotten a bit too "cute" and in this instance cute is ugly.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

That’s the problem with baseball …. you CANT feature your best player(S) on offense or defense enough unlike the NBA and NFL. Additionally, controlling the offense is a crapshoot otherwise every batter would hit the ball in the gaps with a higher percentages
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

That’s the problem with baseball …. you CANT feature your best player(S) on offense or defense enough unlike the NBA and NFL. Additionally, controlling the offense is a crapshoot otherwise every batter would hit the ball in the gaps with a higher percentages

Yep, but if you have a deep lineup of talented hitters, in theory you are more apt to have success no matter who is up, because there will be more threats in more innings. We've been able to play that way for the better part of this decade. Unfortunately, this year in close games our hitters are coming up short in those obvious run-scoring situations, even the "star" players.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Not gonna worry until we lose another game. We'll get the next 3. I feel confident.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Boston torching Houston early.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Damn boston is a grand slam hitting machine.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Now I am beginning to wonder about cora.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 307, 308, 309 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 308 of 395
Jump to: