Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 309, 310, 311 ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject:

Maybe we can be like the 1981 Dodgers. That team won 5 elimination games and overcame a 2-0 deficit in the World Series. They were behind in every series before coming back to win.

This years team is already 3-0 in elimination games. But man, talk about doing things the hard way. Unfortunately the most likely outcome is the team getting burned at some point.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Braves are playing with house money now, no pressure on them whatsoever. Won’t be surprise they jump out to a lead in game 3.

Honestly I think it’s this opposite.

Once you’re up in a series, there’s the pressure of closing it out. Plus, technically, all the Braves did was hold serve at home.

Momentum swings fast in these series. All it takes is the Dodgers to win game 3 and then everyone will be feeling slightly better knowing that Urias and Scherzer are lined up at home for the next 2.

Then take game 4 and it’s a whole new series.

I think one small advantage is if our team does win a game, or even if it goes 3-1 in the series and we win to make it 3-2, it will be in everybody’s heads that we came back from 3-1 on the Braves last year.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
32 wrote:
I said it before nobody is beating Boston this year. They are peaking at the right time.

We will see about that: 116 win Mariners were scorching hot the entire year, 1995 Mariners seemed like the team of destiny, 1996 Braves seemed destined to go back to back, 2001 and 2003 Yankees looked like they had the narrative and experience to get it done, 2007 Rockies were unbeatable, 2017 Dodgers were peaking at the right time as well. I think if we beat the Braves under the given circumstances, we will beat the Red Sox as well

But I will give you this: the Red Sox are outplaying the Astros. We are outplaying the Braves for vast stretches of games and blowing it. The Astros are getting outplayed and beat by the Red Sox

Those 116-win Mariners were underdogs in the ALCS to the Yankees, and rightfully so. The Yankees had the vastly superior starting pitching.

I think that’s a good example of why regular season records can be misleading. The Yankees won 21 fewer games than those Mariners. The Braves this year won 18 fewer games than the Dodgers. But in a playoff series, it doesn’t seem that way.

Are you sure those Mariners were underdogs though? I looked at the rosters and the Yankee rotation wasn’t as deep that year. Orlando Hernandez had a bad year but I don’t know how he was pitching going into that series, and I don’t know how healthy he was.

Those Mariners really struggled in the Division Series too. It was a really strange year they had.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
32 wrote:
I said it before nobody is beating Boston this year. They are peaking at the right time.

We will see about that: 116 win Mariners were scorching hot the entire year, 1995 Mariners seemed like the team of destiny, 1996 Braves seemed destined to go back to back, 2001 and 2003 Yankees looked like they had the narrative and experience to get it done, 2007 Rockies were unbeatable, 2017 Dodgers were peaking at the right time as well. I think if we beat the Braves under the given circumstances, we will beat the Red Sox as well

But I will give you this: the Red Sox are outplaying the Astros. We are outplaying the Braves for vast stretches of games and blowing it. The Astros are getting outplayed and beat by the Red Sox

Those 116-win Mariners were underdogs in the ALCS to the Yankees, and rightfully so. The Yankees had the vastly superior starting pitching.

I think that’s a good example of why regular season records can be misleading. The Yankees won 21 fewer games than those Mariners. The Braves this year won 18 fewer games than the Dodgers. But in a playoff series, it doesn’t seem that way.

Are you sure those Mariners were underdogs though? I looked at the rosters and the Yankee rotation wasn’t as deep that year. Orlando Hernandez had a bad year but I don’t know how he was pitching going into that series, and I don’t know how healthy he was.

Those Mariners really struggled in the Division Series too. It was a really strange year they had.

Yeah, records could be misleading if you don't properly take into context what regular season records mean.

The regular season and the playoffs are two entirely different tests. The regular season is a measure of which team can win more consistently over 162 games. This means depth, having 5 consistent starters, etc.

The playoffs are a measure of which team can win over an extremely small sample size. This means relying on 3 of your top starters, and 3 of your top relievers, and needing only about 2-3 batters to step up.

They are two entirely different tests. Being well built for one doesn't mean you're automatically well built for the other. The Mariners were built for the reg season. They had 5 strong starters. They didn't have an ace though. They weren't as well built for the playoffs. Conversely, the Yankees were probably better built for the playoffs than they were for the reg season.

I think it's analogous to basketball where they say D'Antoni's offense is built for reg season success but not the playoffs.

-------------

As far as which team is better, us or the Braves right now: you also have to take into account:

1) We’re the 106 win team that had to play a WC game
2) We played the harder NLDS team - SF Giants vs Milwaukee Brewers
3) Braves got home field just because of the rules
4) We had to travel to Atl and play in less than 48 hours while the Braves were well rested.
5) We couldn’t set up our rotation the way we wanted with a bunch of dead arms

I don’t want to take anything away from Atlanta. They played great. They did their jobs. But in assessing who’s the better team right now, don’t discount all the factors above either.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject:

I agree LBP but I will add, it is not so much how well you played over 162 but how well you played over the last 40 or so. The Dodgers ended the season hot. The Giants ended the season hot. The Cardinals ended the season hot. But then, we can't forget, so did the Braves end the season hot.

The Dodgers have to play all three.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject:

just found out game 3 starts at 2pm today, Dodgers got short changed again. not much of a home field advantage for a game starts at 2pm on a weekday. Stadium gonna be half full when the game starts. my coworker is already asking people buy his tickets since he can't go. Boston game got the later time slot, not sure why, it'll be 8pm local time when their game starts.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject:

Oh I think we’re better, especially if you give our team more rest before a series. Atlanta has a weak record for a playoff team but when I look at their roster I think their talent is very capable of winning over 90 games, and probably even 95 if things go their way. And they did make the NLCS two years in a row. But no way do I look at their roster and see 100 win team.

I don’t see much of a difference between facing the Giants or Milwaukee. Biggest difference to me is the Giants are a division rival and it’s the team I hate the most. But I think either would be a really tough matchup. As good as the Giants are I always thought this was kind of a fluke season for them. I would have been thrilled if we faced the Brewers and took 3 out of 4 from them.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I agree LBP but I will add, it is not so much how well you played over 162 but how well you played over the last 40 or so. The Dodgers ended the season hot. The Giants ended the season hot. The Cardinals ended the season hot. But then, we can't forget, so did the Braves end the season hot.

The Dodgers have to play all three.

Yup. Clicking at the end of the year heading into the playoffs is a huge factor as well. That's how Washington beat us. They were really clicking the 2nd half of the season.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
just found out game 3 starts at 2pm today, Dodgers got short changed again. not much of a home field advantage for a game starts at 2pm on a weekday. Stadium gonna be half full when the game starts. my coworker is already asking people buy his tickets since he can't go. Boston game got the later time slot, not sure why, it'll be 8pm local time when their game starts.

I think it's to avoid the Lakers opener tonight?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Oh I think we’re better, especially if you give our team more rest before a series. Atlanta has a weak record for a playoff team but when I look at their roster I think their talent is very capable of winning over 90 games, and probably even 95 if things go their way. And they did make the NLCS two years in a row. But no way do I look at their roster and see 100 win team.

I don’t see much of a difference between facing the Giants or Milwaukee. Biggest difference to me is the Giants are a division rival and it’s the team I hate the most. But I think either would be a really tough matchup. As good as the Giants are I always thought this was kind of a fluke season for them. I would have been thrilled if we faced the Brewers and took 3 out of 4 from them.

I think one big difference is Giants were locked in for the entire year. Milwaukee was struggling heading into the playoffs. Giants gave us everything they had. I don't know if we can say the same for Milwaukee. They cruised at the end of the reg season and were getting hammered by St Louis. I don't think they were playing well at all.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Last minute, I'm going to the game tomorrow. My friend had 2 tickets and couldn't sell them, so I get to go for free. It's good to have connections, I suppose. No tennis now.

Let's get back in this. It's a virtual must-win.

oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Nah, this stuff is planned out in advance.

I really think MLB doesn't give a hoot about a concurrent Laker game.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

That's the only reason I can think of though.

We play at 5pm tomorrow and 5pm on Thursday.

Only thing I can think of is opening night tonight at Staples.

Ok, I think I found the reason. It's requested by Turner Entertainment (TBS/TNT).

TBS is showing the Dodgers series. Fox is showing the Boston series.

TNT is showing NBA tonight. So, they requested the 2pm time so that it doesn't interfere with their NBA schedule. They don't want to compete against themselves.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

I am very confident about this game but still nervous and anxious AF.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

my theory is the tug-a-war between TBS and Fox. Fox has the deeper pocket, so they get the prime time slot.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

Lineup is out.

No Pollock (yay!). Trea still batting 3rd (boo!)

Betts RF
Seager SS
Trea Turner 2B
Smith C
Justin Turner 3B
Lux CF
Bellinger 1B
Taylor LF
Buehler P

Not sure why they don't move Trea down to the 6/7 spot. Struggles aside, it's nice having another leadoff guy further down the order.

Whatever, just win, baby!
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

Julio also back to starting game 4, per Roberts
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

my theory is the tug-a-war between TBS and Fox. Fox has the deeper pocket, so they get the prime time slot.

Yeah, I think it was TBS's decision. We're on at 5pm every game except today. I think TBS gets first choice for the Championship series. They probably got to pick the series they wanted and the more favorable time slot (5pm).

Fox gets the World Series.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:

Damn...

So much indecision.

Let's see who goes game 5 now. Bullpen game or Scherzer?

Quote:
Matthew Moreno
@MMoreno1015

Julio Urias will start Game 4. “We’ll see about Game 5,” Dave Roberts said.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

Damn...

So much indecision.

Quote:
Matthew Moreno
@MMoreno1015

I'd say you gotta go bullpen.

Whether up or down 3-2, knowing you have Max and Walker on full days rest would be huge.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

Damn...

So much indecision.

Quote:
Matthew Moreno
@MMoreno1015

Whether up or down 3-2, knowing you have Max and Walker on full days rest would be huge.

Bullpen game last game of 3 straight games is rough. That's going to affect how we use our BP these first 2 games.

Urias probably has to give us 110 pitches tomorrow since it's his last start of the series.

We're depending on 7ip today and tomorrow from Buehler and Urias so that we can get to the BP game on Thursday with enough fresh arms.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

Damn...

So much indecision.

Quote:
Matthew Moreno
@MMoreno1015

Bullpen game last game of 3 straight games is rough. That's going to affect how we use our BP these first 2 games.

Urias probably has to give us 110 pitches tomorrow since it's his last start of the series.

We're depending on 7ip today and tomorrow from Buehler and Urias so that we can get to the BP game on Thursday with enough fresh arms.

True true.

Regardless, if we don't hit with RISP, doesn't matter who's pitching so really hope we start hitting.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

Morton is gonna get lit up today.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject:

half emptied stadium to start the game with LA weekday traffic, no home field advantage to be speak of today.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
Morton is gonna get lit up today.

with a vengeance
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 309, 310, 311 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 310 of 395
Jump to: