DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 256, 257, 258 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Allow me to clarify my post about DS being a dumbass. He is that but for the price, he's a steal.

He'll be playing for a contract which means we'll see effort. He's only 29 so he can be a building block. He's played Ham so there's a familiarity. My concern is will he fit.

He is an idiot. To turn down that much money b/c you overvalued yourself, that is going to be something he will regret for a long time.

I do have respect for guys like Dwight and now Dennis, who took a beating from fans but came back to face the music again and redeemed (for Dwight so far) themselves.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject:

Dennis can play, bottom line. And right now, with the state of our roster, beggars can't be choosers. Especially at the vet min price.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject:

I was all for the Dennis signing assuming Russ was dealt. Since that didn't happen this is a headscratcher. He is best off the bench so there is that but what of Nunn, Beverly, not to mention other undersized guards on this team. Mitch loved SF and Rob hates them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject:

Westbrook's another Luol Deng, an albatross. No one's going to pick up his contract without wanting the farm. We're stuck with him for another season, live with it. If Jeanie resigns him I may become a Clipper fan. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
You know, I've been trying to be positive about Dennis's return.

And at a minimum contract with our lack of depth he is a godsend.

But if people keep trying to rehabilitate him with revisionist history of how beneficial he was to the team... I'm going to have to start protesting again.

Just because he's less damaging than Westbrook isn't a selling point in my mind.

It's like saying our wildfires are better than Florida's hurricanes.

Dennis was greedy and he paid the price... let's hope he can help... but I'm not going to listen to how he would have saved us from acquiring Russ.

We would have had four years of overpay instead of two.

At this wage, I can't complain.... but at 100 million... it would have been just as crippling.

Lakers were 38-23 with Dennis starting in 20-21.

He wasn't offered 100m, it was apparently 84m with some conditions on it.

If we kept Dennis, and that meant we also kept KCP/Kuz/2021 1st, and possible re-signed AC, I would have much preferred that trajectory over what happened last season.

I think folks need to get over it and at a minimum deal, he's a steal and provides us (with Bev/Nunn) with Russ insurance.

I said back then... even if we paid him 40 million for one year... I wouldn't care... I just didn't want him for four years at an untradeable amount

And it turned out I was right about his trade value.

You and others were saying 84 million was fine... even up to 100 in some cases.

I said I had no problem with a one year overpay.

I have no problem with signing him this year.

But I do have a problem saying we should have gone with the long contract back then.

Just because a bad contract keeps you from doing an even stupider deal is never a good reason to do a deal.

So let's just hope he helps and stop with the pro Schroder spin doctoring.

At minimum we all agree he's fine.

At 84 or 100 million I don't think he would have been.

He is talented... but not at that price.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

If we kept Dennis, and that meant we also kept KCP/Kuz/2021 1st, and possible re-signed AC, I would have much preferred that trajectory over what happened last season.

I think folks need to get over it and at a minimum deal, he's a steal and provides us (with Bev/Nunn) with Russ insurance.

It's kind of like Dennis tried to prove to everyone he could make the most boneheaded decision possible (turning down the extension), and Pelinka said "hold my parchment" (traded the farm for Russ).
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
I was all for the Dennis signing assuming Russ was dealt. Since that didn't happen this is a headscratcher. He is best off the bench so there is that but what of Nunn, Beverly, not to mention other undersized guards on this team. Mitch loved SF and Rob hates them.

We have Dennis so Russ doesn't have us by the balls.

We can get rid of him in a second if any real trade opportunity arises.

Also who knows how Nunn will be this season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

But if people keep trying to rehabilitate him with revisionist history of how beneficial he was to the team... I'm going to have to start protesting again.

Just because he's less damaging than Westbrook isn't a selling point in my mind.

Dennis was greedy and he paid the price... let's hope he can help... but I'm not going to listen to how he would have saved us from acquiring Russ.

At this wage, I can't complain.... but at 100 million... it would have been just as crippling.

I said back then... even if we paid him 40 million for one year... I wouldn't care... I just didn't want him for four years at an untradeable amount

But I do have a problem saying we should have gone with the long contract back then.

Just because a bad contract keeps you from doing an even stupider deal is never a good reason to do a deal.

Still can't let go, huh?

I'll do this one last time.

1. At 21m in a cap that's constantly going up means his cap impact would be that of a 13-14m/year player shortly. It's not that much.

2. Signing him would have meant we would avoid the disastrous Russ trade, kept KCP/Kuz/Trezz/2021 1st, maybe even AC. Dennis was 38-23 as a starter, so it's not like he wasn't helping the team win. And imagine what asset you could get if you traded KCP/Kuz/Trezz/1st rounder?

3. The real options we know were to keep Dennis/Kuz/KCP/Trezz/1st or trade for Russ. That's a no brainer decision.

4. It's 2022. Let's move on. He's on the team on a minimum deal and ironically, allows the Lakers to trade Russ and be good with him, Bev, Nunn at the guard spots.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Still can't let go, huh?

1. At 21m in a cap that's constantly going up means his cap impact would be that of a 13-14m/year player shortly. It's not that much.

2. Signing him would have meant we would avoid the disastrous Russ trade, kept KCP/Kuz/Trezz/2021 1st, maybe even AC. Dennis was 38-23 as a starter, so it's not like he wasn't helping the team win. And imagine what asset you could get if you traded KCP/Kuz/Trezz/1st rounder?

3. The real options we know were to keep Dennis/Kuz/KCP/Trezz/1st or trade for Russ. That's a no brainer decision.

4. It's 2022. Let's move on. He's on the team on a minimum deal and ironically, allows the Lakers to trade Russ and be good with him, Bev, Nunn at the guard spots.

Stop trying to sell me/us on the fact that signing Dennis for 84 million was a good idea because Pelinka later would make a more idiotic move and I will move on.

You are the one who can't let it go either.

You were wrong about the 84 million.

Now let's move on.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

We have Dennis so Russ doesn't have us by the balls.

We can get rid of him in a second if any real trade opportunity arises.

Also who knows how Nunn will be this season.

Russ has us by the short and curlies for 1 more season then it should be bye-bye or a much lessor contract. He's 33, he still has something in the tank. He's on the downhill of his career. If he won't accept less money I'd let him walk.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Still can't let go, huh?

Stop trying to sell me/us on the fact that signing Dennis for 84 million was a good idea because Pelinka later would make a more idiotic move and I will move on.

Now let's move on.

I have moved on. But you're the one writing a P&M post about Dennis, all the while acknowledging that the Russ trade was a bad one AND that you're happy we have him on a min. deal. So why dig into the past? When Dwight came, should we have relitigated 2013 too? Nope. He came back and that was that and all was history.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Still can't let go, huh?

Now let's move on.

I have moved on. But you're the one writing a P&M post about Dennis, all the while acknowledging that the Russ trade was a bad one AND that you're happy we have him on a min. deal. So why dig into the past? When Dwight came, should we have relitigated 2013 too? Nope. He came back and that was that and all was history.

Nope since word came back of a possible Dennis return you have been consistently pushing your narrative that Dennis was a good thing because we would have kept Kuz/KCP/Alex/2021 pick.

How about keeping those players or trading them for better pieces and not signing Schroder?

You were wrong about Schroder and as soon as you had the chance to spin that as a good call because it was better than the Russ trade you immediately started up with this five assets vs. Russ narrative

I mean I can't blame you for the clever spin... but it's not an either/or situation.

Would I rather have Schroder and kept those players instead of Russ?

Sure... but those weren't the only options.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door
I don't care what they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway

BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Let it go, let it go
Let it go, let it go
Let the storm rage on

I will until the next time you post about how we would have kept Kuz/KCP/AC/2021

Then I will respond again.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Let it go, let it go
Let it go, let it go
Let the storm rage on

I will until the next time you post about how we would have kept Kuz/KCP/AC/2021

We could have kept Kuz/KCP/Trezz/2021, and likely AC. (at least get it correct, lol).
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Let it go, let it go
Let it go, let it go
Let the storm rage on

We could have kept Kuz/KCP/Trezz/2021, and likely AC. (at least get it correct, lol).

Again A plus spin doctoring on a bad take. Props to you for that.

But the Schroder signing at 84... not good and never will be.

But I hope he does well for us this year.

Never dissed on his abilities other than his poor shooting. Who knows if this will be his Julius Randle year where he finally starts hitting them.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Let it go, let it go
Let it go, let it go
Let the storm rage on

That’s Olaff! 🥶 1️⃣0️⃣0️⃣
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Do you all one better: we could have avoided trading for this scrub with our 2020 pick, and had Desmand Bane. Suddenly we go from team on the verge of rebuilding, to championship contention window extended another 3-4 years.

What a timeline that would have been...
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Short, super slow release, and poor shot making. Perfect guard in 2022.

Negativity aside, I like the signing. Have nothing against Dennis at the min.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Dennis Schroder’s visa issue has been resolved and he is set to fly to Los Angeles this weekend, sources tell ESPN. It is TBD whether he will join the Lakers for their road game in GSW on Sunday.

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1578196231272046593?s=46&t=rAMg1n-BNKfUDkWIed6OCQ

Link to a longer article that says pretty much the same things

New story: Dennis Schroder is scheduled to fly to Los Angeles this weekend after missing the first week and a half of training camp, giving the Lakers another option at point guard upon arrival

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1578222750765699072?s=46&t=rAMg1n-BNKfUDkWIed6OCQ
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm ignorant on this but what in the world could be the problem with the paperwork to delay him this long?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
I'm ignorant on this but what in the world could be the problem with the paperwork to delay him this long?

They never went into specifics of what was the problem. But apparently it's actually not uncommon from what I've learned through this situation.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject:

Glad to hear that.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

Dennis is a great pick up for $2.6 mill.
Also, if he would have signed for 4 years, $84 mill, in hindsight, wouldn't have been the most horrible deal. Look at what some players are making these days... $20 mill a year for a starter or legit 6th man is a bargain.

I think Dennis is going to redeem himself. I think he is exactly what this team needs, a redemption story and a dog. He plays hard and I welcome him back. The only reason I got mad at him the first time was the multiple times being out for Covid protocol when the team really needed him. That was then.....he acknowledged that he has unfinished business and has a history with Coach Ham.

I think Dennis is going to do great this year...
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:

No worries. Rob is flying him into Mexico. He will be here tomorrow. (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

Last edited by RI Laker on Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 256, 257, 258 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 257 of 284
Jump to: