Lakers Starting Shooting Guard 🏀
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who’s your starting SG for the 2021-2022 Lakers?
Wayne Ellington
24%
 24%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
20%
 20%  [ 17 ]
Kent Bazemore
37%
 37%  [ 31 ]
Talen Horton-Tucker
18%
 18%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 83

Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Lakers Starting Shooting Guard 🏀

My Lakers 2K roster needs closure!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject:

DWade, after he sells his stake of the Jazz
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject:

I've always loved having someone with the initials K.B. being our starting SG.
It's the case for me this year as well.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Kent Bazemore. Book it.

Kiss my Converse.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject:

Among the 4:

Ellington = is the better 3-point shooter

Monk = is the better all-around scorer

Bazemore = is the better 2-way player

THT = is the highest paid
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:31 am    Post subject:

Tough to say, I think it will be determined by who is the best defensively in Vogel eyes, and then who is most reliable in a halfcourt spot up for 3 role.

I mean Melo is a hell of a shooter from what I have seen. People may not like his isolation tactics (but he will not be getting too many of those here) but his jumper is a beauty and he can get going. Same with Monk, to a different degree. Monk has a lot of prime JR Smith (NY-CLE version) in him. He can get going from outside and just be lethal.

On paper, AD-Bron-Westbrook + Melo-Monk, make it crazy lethal on offense.

However then there is the aspect that based on last year eye test and some advanced stats, Monk and Melo leave a lot to be desired on defense. If they do not play defense at a high level, Vogel will not start them.

That is one of my concerns with the roster, we got a lot of scoring weapons, but also guys that tend to be a 1-way players. I wonder how much of that Vogel can alter. We saw with Kuz, he went from a liability on D, to one of the more solid defenders on the team, and in the end, I actually end up trusting his defense to be way more consistent than his offense. Crazy. Maybe we can get that out of Monk, as well, but since Monk is a more natural outside shooter, less of a pain to develop than Kuz.

A lot of things will play out in the season. I really have no clue about the others. I think Baze has some 2-way ability. The rest of the guys, I have not seen them as defensive players in the league. So onus is on this coaching staff to find the right mix and come into training camp with that defensive mindset.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers Starting Shooting Guard 🏀

Jordan-esque wrote:
My Lakers 2K roster needs closure!

I'm using Baze and Dwight as my starters, working out way better than I expected
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Among the 4:

Ellington = is the better 3-point shooter

Monk = is the better all-around scorer

Bazemore = is the better 2-way player

THT = is the highest paid

This lays it out nicely IMO.

Bazemore seems like the best choice as of today.

Monk is intriguing if he can prove he can be focused. Inconsistent performances has been his main criticism. He defends at a high level, hits his 3s and proves to be a solid finisher on breaks… could earn the spot.

Both Ellington and THT have specific and important skills. Just see them both as bench or role players. THT has the “ potential” to be a solid starter. Not sure with this starting lineup though.

Going to a fun battle to see who earns the mpg at a lot of spots this year.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject:

Baze, because he plays defense.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject:

I'll be the minority and pick THT.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject:

Ellington being the best shooter should start out to create spacing and make the defenses honest with guarding the Big 3.

Bazemore could be the closer.

Monk with the fire power off the bench.

THT doesn’t make any sense to start with LBJ and Russ. He’s a slasher, but he doesn’t space the floor and he also needs the ball in his hands. His defense is suspect too. LBJ and Russ need spot up shooters to create spacing more than they need another ball handler.

Last edited by Lonzo-Lite on Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Ellington being the best shooter should start out to make the defenses honest with guarding the Big 3.

Bazemore could be the closer.

Monk with the fire power off the bench.

THT doesn’t make any sense to start with LBJ and Russ. He doesn’t space the floor and he also needs the ball in his hands. LBJ and Russ need spot up shooters to create spacing more than they need another ball handler.

He has the best indicators for shooting potential, and limiting his 3-point shots to just catch and shoot, helps develop percentages.

He doesn't need the ball in his hands. He didn't have that in Iowa St. He didn't have that as a rookie. Could legit just play him like a 3/D player with transition ability. He's also about on par with Bazemore as an off-ball defender, maybe better.

Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

THT doesn’t make any sense to start with LBJ and Russ. He doesn’t space the floor and he also needs the ball in his hands. LBJ and Russ need spot up shooters to create spacing more than they need another ball handler.

He has the best indicators for shooting potential, and limiting his 3-point shots to just catch and shoot, helps develop percentages.

He doesn't need the ball in his hands. He didn't have that in Iowa St. He didn't have that as a rookie. Could legit just play him like a 3/D player with transition ability. He's also about on par with Bazemore as an off-ball defender, maybe better.

Potential is something else, LBJ and Russ need something now, they don’t need someone that could potentially be.

THT hasn’t shown he could be a good consistent jump shooter, or catch and shoot player, especially not a high volume shooter compared to Ellington or even Monk.

What he’s shown so far is that he’s good with the ball in his hands at slashing and semi-facilitating. The starters need spacing and THT doesn’t give that to them right now.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject:

THT. Think his 3pt percentage will go up enough and there’s his ability to get to the rim, passing and defense that will make him deadly to play with the starters.
Him and Baze should start at the 2 and 3, respectively. Obviously that switches LBJ and AD to PF and C. It’s our most complete 5 man and the rest of guard heavy roster slots in better.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Potential is something else, LBJ and Russ need something now, they don’t need someone that could potentially be.

THT hasn’t shown he could be a good consistent catch and shoot in high volume.

What he’s shown so far is that he’s good with the ball in his hands at slashing and semi-facilitating. The starters need spacing and THT doesn’t give that to them right now.

I'm willing to bet that THT is probably a 36%+ catch and shoot 3pt shooter, and to me, that's more than enough and isn't what he could "potentially be."

What I really hate about everyone defaulting to "the Lakers need spacing" is, it doesn't take into account that LAL is building a transition team first. That's why THT got the money. That's why Westbrook got traded for. Transition/rim pressure first. Shooting second.

Personally, I don't want to rely on an outlier year for Bazemore when he was playing for a new contract and is still an average career 3-point shooter, and actually got a ton of catch-and-shoot 3s, unlike THT.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
THT. Think his 3pt percentage will go up enough and there’s his ability to get to the rim, passing and defense that will make him deadly to play with the starters.
Him and Baze should start at the 2 and 3, respectively. Obviously that switches LBJ and AD to PF and C. It’s our most complete 5 man and the rest of guard heavy roster slots in better.

That's better.

Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Keyword in that sentence is “THINK”.

THT is not proven yet.

If we had a young team with Lonzo, Kuzma, Ingram, then I would love love love THT to start next to them and continue developing and afford to make lots of mistakes.

But LBJ and Russ need proven players to produce now, and produce consistently next to them. THT is not yet that type of player especially not a consistent volume catch and shoot player the starters need.

Don’t see the coaching staff letting a 20 year old player who really hasn’t proven much to start over the other more experienced guys mentioned above.

Last edited by Lonzo-Lite on Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject:

THT. Lakers are clearly high on him and for good reason. 4th highest paid player on the team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Teams would pack the paint and dare the offense to shoot the jumper. Maybe the other options wouldn’t be better overall but those are the choices Vogel will have. Given the choice of playing the best defensive team or a team that can score 120, I think we know what he will choose.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

My guess is Baze will start in October, he's the one who provides best defense while still decent at offense. THT is more likely to close games, though, as long as he can improve his defense.

Still, I think it will change a lot as the season progress.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

I'm willing to bet that THT is probably a 36%+ catch and shoot 3pt shooter, and to me, that's more than enough and isn't what he could "potentially be."

What I really hate about everyone defaulting to "the Lakers need spacing" is, it doesn't take into account that LAL is building a transition team first. That's why THT got the money. That's why Westbrook got traded for. Transition/rim pressure first. Shooting second.

Personally, I don't want to rely on an outlier year for Bazemore when he was playing for a new contract and is still an average career 3-point shooter, and actually got a ton of catch-and-shoot 3s, unlike THT.

Mike:

Really curious - How do you see this working (transition team first) if the opponent is determined to limit such opportunities and also elects to the pack the paint when Lakers are in half court offense? I think that is where the spacing concern arises from.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

I tend to lean towards Ellington because of the difficulty of the shots he makes and his ability to move without the ball. I know he’s not a good defender but he makes the divulged shots the Nets big 3 would make. He’s not a guy you can leave the big 3 for. As a matter of fact he will drain those shots with defenders on him.

the only other guy on this list I can think of that can hit these difficult shots is Monk
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
I tend to lean towards Ellington because of the difficulty of the shots he makes and his ability to move without the ball. I know he’s not a good defender but he makes the divulged shots the Nets big 3 would make. He’s not a guy you can leave the big 3 for. As a matter of fact he will drain those shots with defenders on him.

the only other guy on this list I can think of that can hit these difficult shots is Monk

That's the problem. A team would want to force a defensive switch onto him.

Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:

Russ and Ellington as starting backcourt is a liability on defense, at least against other starting lineups.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

THT was less than 30% on C&S last year and Bazemore was 43%. Whether you inject outliers, potential, or trajectory into it the smart money is still on Bazemore to do better. I agree that THT adds a wider skill set but that might be redundant with the other starters. He probably would have more of an impact initiating off the bench which minimizes the subpar shooting he has shown thus far.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: