Official MONTREZL "6th Man of Year" HARRELL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
From my chat with a die hard Clipper fan (as in dating back to the 80's):

"Me: I know he won sixth man, but no D and no 3, right?
Clipper: No,no,no. Solid Defense. Good rebounder. Lakers got a good one. He is a small ball center."

That's his 2 cents. Did make it clear the Jokic matchup is an unfair gauge of him on defense.

As an aside, the dude has a 7'4 wingspan.

Yeah, the constant talk about him getting abused by Jokic is a pretty ridiculous attack on him honestly when you really look at the entire year for him. In no way should Trez be the primary defender and rim protector when going against Jokic, that's borderline common sense for even the most casual NBA fan.. This has literally been reported as one of the main reasons Balmer went so ballistic and fired the coaching staff as him and and the analytic team were adamant about not playing Trez so many minutes heads up against Jokic.

Like others have said, he's a great small ball center that you can play against 90% of the teams centers but even against the other 5-10% he can still be a big weapon just be smart which Vogel has been fantastic at and dont be afraid to play with the lineups a bit to keep the advantages on our side as much as possible with different matchups.

One thing about him is that even though he's clearly not a perimeter shooter at all he is absolutely an elite big in the paint. He has some moves, floater etc. You also have to be careful about just leaving him because he's also one of the best rim runners in the entire NBA so if you want to sag off him you better make sure you get a body on him quick when the shot goes up because he's going to be looking to feast A LOT on those opportunities.

Another really interesting stat I found out about him today is that he was tied with AD towards the top of the NBA as most points scored per game as the roll man in p&r at 3.8ppg. Even once Lebron sits he'll likely have Schroder, AD and Caruso at least to pair with at any point. I have a feeling he will be beating many bigs down the floor in our transition game as well. A disgusted friend of mine who hates the Lakers and watched a good amount of Clippers games said Harrell was basically there Caruso but does it as a big and is more athletic. Hearing that and reading/checking out a bunch of stuff on him tonight has really made me like this pickup even more.

Both Schroder and Trez are extreme energy guys who both supposedly have high bbiq's as well. I'm excited to see this roster rounded out and see how they all actually play together because we're clearly better on paper at this point.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject:

Wow, did not see this coming at all.
We're getting better and making the Clippers worse. Win-win.
datniggbstyle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject:

The energy and tenacity of that 2nd unit with Trez, Schoder and Caruso will be a sight to see. Cant wait.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject:

hahahahahaha (bleep) the Clippers!!!
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject:

misterchipmunk wrote:
I cant believe ppl dont like this signing.

We got him for cheap. He can easily get much more on the market. Since he is on a great contract and a good player he can be a trade piece for something bigger.

I felt that Javele and Dwight had similar skills so Harrell will provide a different skill set for our opponents to gameplan

Very low risk, high reward move

If you just look at it from a player perspective, he is a good player and certainly a bargain with the contract size.

But from a team perspective, Davis wants to pair with a big body size center. And we want have a stretch 5/4 to spread the floor. Harrell doesn’t tick any of the boxes. He doesn’t fit into the Davis and Lebron lineup yet we use most of our free agency money on him.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
I’m genuinely stunned.

How so?

I didn’t think he would be an option for us due to our financial constraints. I think the folks that harp on the Jokic stuff are being a little short sighted here. A guy isn’t trash because there’s a bad matchup out there for him. We won’t be relying on him to play big minutes against Jokic in a series. We also aren’t done building out the roster.

But we should take a minute to celebrate a coup. This was not a player any of us thought we could afford. He’s a 26 year old monster coming off his best season and he’s on a short, extremely tradeable deal. We’ve upgraded 3 positions while getting younger and took two key players off our biggest rivals.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
I’m genuinely stunned.

How so?

I didn’t think he would be an option for us due to our financial constraints. I think the folks that harp on the Jokic stuff are being a little short sighted here. A guy isn’t trash because there’s a bad matchup out there for him. We won’t be relying on him to play big minutes against Jokic in a series. We also aren’t done building out the roster.

But we should take a minute to celebrate a coup. This was not a player any of us thought we could afford. He’s a 26 year old monster coming off his best season and he’s on a short, extremely tradeable deal. We’ve upgraded 3 positions while getting younger and took two key players off our biggest rivals.

Yep, I am bummed we lost Dwight on a vet min and instead have McGee at 4 M, but that does not take away what I thought of the Harrell signing. This guy was a 60M type of signing, a guy that averaged 18 ppg off the bench, and won 6MOTY. This is a major coup for the price tag, and only happened because of Klutch.

The match ups, I am 100% sure Vogel will not allow someone like Jokic to be on TRez all game long. And, the culture with Vogel is so different. Ask any Indiana Pacer player in the Vogel era whether you were allowed to take possessions off on D. Take possessions off = sit and watch on the bench.

I actually think Trez will end up being a better 2-way player in this program. He did this to become a better player. And will.

I can be bummed about losing Dwight and having McGee at 4 M (unless we deal him) and still be supremely excited at the steal we got here at the MLE. The Lakers bench with Schroder, Harrell, Kuzma will be one of the best in the NBA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject:

Remember Manimal Kenneth Faried, yeah, a better version
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject:

It is surprising.

I like the signing in a vacuum.

Let's see how the rest of the roster works out...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
I’m genuinely stunned.

How so?

Yep, I am bummed we lost Dwight on a vet min and instead have McGee at 4 M, but that does not take away what I thought of the Harrell signing. This guy was a 60M type of signing, a guy that averaged 18 ppg off the bench, and won 6MOTY. This is a major coup for the price tag, and only happened because of Klutch.

The match ups, I am 100% sure Vogel will not allow someone like Jokic to be on TRez all game long. And, the culture with Vogel is so different. Ask any Indiana Pacer player in the Vogel era whether you were allowed to take possessions off on D. Take possessions off = sit and watch on the bench.

I actually think Trez will end up being a better 2-way player in this program. He did this to become a better player. And will.

I can be bummed about losing Dwight and having McGee at 4 M (unless we deal him) and still be supremely excited at the steal we got here at the MLE. The Lakers bench with Schroder, Harrell, Kuzma will be one of the best in the NBA.

Dwight would have been nice. Not sure if we just didn’t offer him anything or he got spooked and jumped at the first offer. Would have been nice to have him back.

I agree that Harrell, who in general is a good defender btw, will be even better in our system. In dealing with Jokic the Clippers had the following options: Harrell. Zubac, and the corpse of Joakim Noah. Jokic is a rough matchup for any player and any team. He’s going to get his against anybody. But the Clippers didn’t have a single good option and they definitely didn’t have Anthony Davis.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject:

If we are talking about cost and playoff viability, we got Harrell for the same price the Heat paid Meyers Leonard who basically DNP-CD’d the NBA Finals.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject:

Montrezl Harrell really put a knife in the Clippers back. From what I am reading the chemistry was pretty bad in Clipper land.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
I’m genuinely stunned.

How so?

probably not.. but all we have left to offer are vet. min. contracts.

so good luck with finding a replacement for dwight (somebody who can guard the likes of jokic, embiid etc; a bruiser) and/or markieff (small ball center who can strech the floor and is not an defensive liability) with that.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Montrezl Harrell really put a knife in the Clippers back. From what I am reading the chemistry was pretty bad in Clipper land.

Reading from Clipper fans that they think he was the source of a lot of drama leaking out of the locker room. Also he was very emotional and not a locker room guy. Can't forgot that bench blow up with PG13.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject:

lakerboy wrote:
ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
I’m genuinely stunned.

How so?

so good luck with finding a replacement for dwight (somebody who can guard the likes of jokic, embiid etc; a bruiser) and/or markieff (small ball center who can strech the floor and is not an defensive liability) with that.

Yep, that is my concern in this. As good Trez is, he is neither a stretch shooting big, nor is he a defensive interior big, two things we really had in Morris (stretch mobile) and Dwight (interior physical big). We could match up with a lot of teams that way.

That said, Rob is likely to keep that waiver wire and keep pursuing things all season. I highly doubt he will not know that the Lakers possibly lost Morris/Dwight and what type of vet min FAs they need to pursue.

FWIW, If we sign Marc Gasol. I think physically he is able to do a lot of what Dwight did in matching up with bigs, only less active. On the plus, he can not be taken out of games on offense like Dwight often was and like Morris can shoot the 3. Marc Gasol would be a really solid signing for this team, age and all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
32 wrote:

Reading from Clipper fans that they think he was the source of a lot of drama leaking out of the locker room. Also he was very emotional and not a locker room guy. Can't forgot that bench blow up with PG13.

Sounds like a leadership problem. He won't have that problem with LeBron.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
32 wrote:

Sounds like a leadership problem. He won't have that problem with LeBron.

Also key we get Dudley back... I think Dudley is a locker room glue guy.
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
I’m genuinely stunned.

How so?

I too am stunned, and happy as hell. Yet another fantastic signing and an absolute steal for how much we are paying him. Have to admit Pelinka in the front office is a lot more secretive and potent than my man the Magic man. When Montrezl was with Clippers I always thought how they luck out this guy at 2 mills and how he and Lou could be a MAJOR headache for us with their dangerous pick and roll game.

We got better, got a steal, and ****ed the Clippers big time. I feel gooooood LOL.

Last edited by cannga11 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:50 am; edited 2 times in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject:

lakerboy wrote:
ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
I’m genuinely stunned.

How so?

It’s before 8am on Day 2 of free agency and most of the big money is already spoken for. We’ve upgraded 3 positions while getting younger and building our asset base (we actually have contracts to trade now). I’m sorry I don’t share the panic. We fielded a team of mostly minimums last year and it worked out pretty well for us. I get missing Dwight but he was basically useful for one particular playoff matchup and then was practically unplayable the rest of the playoffs. You need those situational players but let’s see what they do the rest of the way.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
lakerboy wrote:
ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
I’m genuinely stunned.

How so?

Yep, that is my concern in this. As good Trez is, he is neither a stretch shooting big, nor is he a defensive interior big, two things we really had in Morris (stretch mobile) and Dwight (interior physical big). We could match up with a lot of teams that way.

That said, Rob is likely to keep that waiver wire and keep pursuing things all season. I highly doubt he will not know that the Lakers possibly lost Morris/Dwight and what type of vet min FAs they need to pursue.

FWIW, If we sign Marc Gasol. I think physically he is able to do a lot of what Dwight did in matching up with bigs, only less active. On the plus, he can not be taken out of games on offense like Dwight often was and like Morris can shoot the 3. Marc Gasol would be a really solid signing for this team, age and all.

oh definately.. gasol would be the perfect band aid for all the holes we have right now. but is he going to take the VetMin? if he does i am abolutely ecstatic, but i don't see it right now.

i think markieff is gone. he is not gonna watch his brother get that contract and then sign - as an nba champion - for the minimum.

the thing with the waiver wire additions: if we are hard capped (and it sure looks like that's where we are heading), then we are not allowed to sign anyone else to go over that limit.

all of it would change if davis gives us a discount, but i am not sure about that.
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakerboy wrote:
ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
I’m genuinely stunned.

How so?

It’s before 8am on Day 2 of free agency and most of the big money is already spoken for. We’ve upgraded 3 positions while getting younger and building our asset base (we actually have contracts to trade now). I’m sorry I don’t share the panic. We fielded a team of mostly minimums last year and it worked out pretty well for us. I get missing Dwight but he was basically useful for one particular playoff matchup and then was practically unplayable the rest of the playoffs. You need those situational players but let’s see what they do the rest of the way.

Exactly. Also Denver has lost both Jerami Grant and Mason Plumlee (he of the phantom switch ). I am surprised they didn't retain Grant and feel they have become a much lesser threat without him.

We may have got worse matching up against one team but got considerably better against 20 plus team, and in particular better against our biggest threat the still formidable Clippers. Fantastic move and I AM STILL STUNNED WE GOT HIM .
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject:

^

Assuming Marc wants to come, but not for vet min.

Marc Gasol sign and trade would work for me. Send them McGee and a second round pick. Raps may do it because he was championship role player for them, and they would be willing to work with him, and they gain an asset in the pick and an expiring contract for trade instead of losing him for nothing.

My priority would be a player like that, right now. I especially like Marc because he does a lot of the little things well, that someone like Vogel would utilize well, and Handy has coached him first hand and knows what he is capable of. Marc can shoot the 3, has passing skill, good screen setter and good post player. Doesn't move well at this stage of his career but that is not what situation we would play him in, anyway. I definitely try to get Marc, if I'm the Lakers, even if costs me a 2nd round pick.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakerboy wrote:
ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
I’m genuinely stunned.

How so?

and so was harrell the whole playoffs (even though doc continued to give him minutes). it was not just that jokic abused him, besides one game he was also a net negative in 5 games against the mavericks in round one. the denver series was just the climax.

at least we didn't pay dwight 9 mio to sit on the bench in the 4q
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject:

...but that wing span tho...

AD 7'6
Trez 7'4
THT 7'1

Folks...it's gonna be deflections and steals galore!
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject:

Best part of this move was how there was no noise or speculation heading into free agency and nobody would have thought this was even possible. Harrell is a great fit as a pick n roll big with Bron & Schroder, really good rebounder, and can score 1 on 1 as well when facing up or posting up. He's still young and entering his prime coming off 2 really good seasons. Yes, he was disappointing in the bubble and the playoffs, but he's in a way better environment and better coaching. Vogel will have him playing better defense imo and people forget he played really good defense and shut down AD in the 4th quarter in the Lakers-Clippers Christmas game. However, Harrell wasn't as effective and Clippers lost the last 2 regular season match-ups. Just by default, Harrell and every player on the team's defense improves just playing with AD & Bron. Vogel won't pull a Doc and leave Harrell on an island repeatedly getting cooked by Jokic in the playoffs. Vogel will actually make adjustments and play the best lineups as he did in every round in the playoffs instead of sticking to a default closing 5 lineups when it's not working.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 5 of 66
Jump to: