Official MONTREZL "6th Man of Year" HARRELL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
Worst part of our fan base is we bully our own teammates when we lose and when players fail to meet our expectations. No surprise that the players feel the need to clap back. Drummomd, Trez, Kuz, they all responding to whiney ass fans on social media. Sure the players might be flawed but people should take accountability for how they act over the internet to human beings that dont need to be talked down to by folks who have never even touched a basketball in a professional setting in their lives.

its not even when they fail to meet expectations. They can be playing well all season, and called "extremely valuable" to the team, but if they play bad in a pivotal moment, or have their minutes jerked around by the coach. They are blamed for it. And they'll ignore any other kind of logic or stats that disprove what they're saying, in order to keep hammering home a narrative that isn't backed up by fact. Or important stuff is ignored (like the team's main players being injured.. a disadvantage last year's team didn't have).

I can only imagine what it would be like dealing with those kinds of people every single day, that have grown so comfortable with their unjustified and often incorrect criticisms and narratives, that they'll get offended if they get checked/corrected by that player and they'll call that player unsportsmanlike

But our team thoughout those first portions of the season

The beginning of our season this year when AD missed 5 Games (prior to his big time injury that kept him out for 30.

2021 Lakers (AD misses 5 games)
Offense: 112.9 PPG
Defense: 105.8 PPG
Differential: 7.1 PPG (sitting comfortably at Number 1)
Field Goal: 48.5%
Opp Field Goal: 45%
Three Pointer: 35.9% (on 30.2 APG)
Opp Three Point: 34.3% (on 32.5 APG)

2020 Lakers (Same span of time AD misses 1 game)
Offense: 112.9 PPG
Defense: 103.9 PPG
Differential: 9.0 PPG (sitting comfortably at Number 1)
Field Goal: 48.5%
Opp Field Goal: 43.6%
Three Pointer: 35.7% (on 30.4 APG)
Opp Three Point: 33.5% (on 33.0 APG, welp there goes the narrative that Dwight and McGee intimidated people from going to the paint as much compared to the previous year)

So yeah, not that big a difference, despite our best defender missing 5 game as opposed to 1. Not to mention the level aD was playing at in 2020 vs 2021. Let's look at that too

AD in 2021(before injury and not in shape for season)
22.5 PPG
8.4 REB
3.0 AST
1.3 STL
1.8 BLK
53.3% Field Goal
29.3% Three Pointer
32.8 MPG

AD in 2020 (same span of time)
27.7 PPG
9.0 REB
3.3 AST
1.5 STL
2.7 BLK
50.7% Field Goal
33.3% Three Pointer
34.4 MPG

Stress to say, not only were our main guys not ready for the season, but they weren't playing at the same level they did in 2020. You can blame that on the fast turnaround for the season, but also AD missing 5 games before missing 30 is also a factor.

The REASON we got Harrell and Schroeder, was to be able to take some offensive load off of AD and LeBron's shoulders considering the fast season turnaround, and they successfully helped with that. Not to mention how our team was running like a well oiled machine and finding our groove, having won 7 Straight before AD got hurt, which snapped our win streak.

Now we eventually did go on another win streak, we found our groove once again and had won 4 straight.. know what snapped that win streak from being 5? LeBron got hurt.

Then for the next 17 Games(including the ATL game LeBron was hurt in) we needed to play without both AD and LeBron.

And we wound up going 7-10 during that stretch. But hey, you know who stepped up during that period of time? Everyone's favorite scapegoat Dennis Schroeder whom put up

17.3 PPG
3.4 REB
7.7 AST
1.5 STL
45.3% Field Goal
42.6% Three Pointer
86.5% Free Throw
33.1 MPG

Trying to keep us above water, and the fact we went 7-10 without LeBron and AD is a testament. How well do you think the 2019-2020 team would have done going 17 games without LeBron or AD? But that kind of stuff gets overlooked, wonder why.

So yeah, the differences in us as teams before AD got hurt, weren't so ginormous, and we were starting to really kick butt and on a winning streak before AD went out hurt.

These are the kind of things that matter. And they matter a HECK OF A LOT more than whatever narrative people try to spin like "Harrell would have played if he played defense" that has to ignore Morris's terrible defense and three point shooting for that argument to work.

Vogel screwed up by being stubborn and not going with the most obvious plan, and jerking around the minutes of players that had played very well for us. That... is on.. Vogel. Always has been.

2020 is not a great measuring stick.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
epic_ wrote:
MJST wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Please opt in Trez! We love you!

(Guys, just saying since his salary would be a nice to have for potential deals).

But on a serious note. I think he was really struggling emotionally with his personal life. I actually think he'll play well next season.

Looking at game 3 again, even though he was benched, he was still hyped for certain plays. And he still had the nice foot shuffle routine with Bron. Maybe some more stuff will come out, but I don't think he was a locker room problem. Tbd what happens. But hopefully he opts in to give us more flexibility. I'm ok with trading him

He was that way pretty much all year for us, even when Vogel screwed over his minutes. That's how you know people that try to pin the "Oh he's so selfish!!" on him, are embellishing and have no evidence whatsoever that he was selfish or a problem.

They have even less to go on than when they hate on Schroeder for wanting to start over Alex Caruso

I don't know enough about him to say. I'm purely speculating.
I'm just looking at his contract as being of value.

I don't think you should use that Alex example. Alex with LeBron has one of the highest net ratings. Dennis wasn't bad in the starting lineup, but I'll take Alex in the starting lineup with Dennis killing it from the bench.

Lakers Periods without Schroeder but with Caruso

2/18 - 2/24
Lakers record 0-4

LeBron stats

25.3 PPG
7.5 REB
8.3 AST
0.8 STL
0.3 BLK
48.8% Field Goal
17.2% Three Pointer
66.7% Free Throw
35.4 MPG

Alex Caruso stats
4.0 PPG
2.8 REB
2.5 AST
1.3 STL
0.5 BLK
23.1% Field Goal
10.0% Three Pointer
75.0% Free Throw
23.2 MPG

Not so good. The stretch of games Caruso had in Schroeder's second absence was far better

Alex Caruso 6 game stretch
10.2 PPG
3.3 REB
4.5 AST
1.0 STL
0.2 BLK
44.0% Field Goal
41.2% Three Pointer(on 2.8 a game)
46.2% Free Throw
26.0 MPG

Let's compare that to Schroeder's 6 game stretch prior to needing to miss time

16.3 PPG
3.7 REB
9.0 AST
1.2 STL
0.0 BLK
48.2% Field Goal
32.0% Three Pointer
80.0% Free Throw
35.3 MPG

Now in order to get a level of consistency, let's look at what Schroeder did during that 30 game stretch after he came back(the first time) and what Caruso did during that same span of time.

Alex Caruso
6.5 PPG
3.3 REB
2.7 AST
1.2 STL
0.3 BLK
45.0% Field Goal
42.9% Three Pointer(on 2.2 a game)
63.8% Free Throw
21.4 MPG

Dennis Schroeder
16.7 PPG
3.4 REB
7.3 AST
1.4 STL
0.2 BLK
43.5% Field Goal
35.5% Three Pointer
86.5% Free Throw
33.3 MPG

Looks to me like a lot of people overrate Caruso, and underrate and undervalue Schroeder. Caruso was fine and reliable off the bench for the role of standing in a corner and waiting for a three to come his way. No different to how LeBron used Dellavadova. But because of this, people overrated Dellavadova too. Schroeder on the other hand, to take some offensive load from the team and be their 3rd option came through in that role very well. And for all the "Oh he's such a me first player! We need a point guard that can get assists!" he averaged 9.0 Assists and 7.3 Assists, in those instances.

And playing next to LeBron for the entire season, he averaged 5.8 assists. Which is a lot considering how often LeBron took upon defacto point guard roles.

So again, I think it's a case of Lakers fans overrating a role player whom was only asked to do one thing, and thinking it would translate over an entire season of being asked to do more against starters, where as they undervalue what another player that was asked to do more against starters brought, because they had a few moments of struggle in an otherwise solid season.

It's a tale as old as time unfortunately.

Fantastic post.

Im not a huge Dennis fan & I believe the Lakers would be better off if they could move off of him and get a PG who's a much better fit.

That being said, I agree this fan base does severely overrate both AC and THT.

Both are nice players but both are not as irreplaceable as they're made out to be.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject:

MJST you are 100% right.

It is on Vogel for not putting Kuzma, Dennis and Trez in a position to suceed.

His idea is you gotta try to fit in my system or you are out.

He does not customize his system to his player which we why we came up so short.

Trez and Dennis are 16ppg scorers, without them we will struggle to crack 100 every game next season.....

Caruso
THT
Kuzma
Morris
Harrell

How in the hell is Harrell responsible for arching a defense with that line up?

You know He gives you 17ppg start him next to Davis and let his motor carry you to the 4th Q, then let Davis and LeBron do their thing but don't just let 17ppg go to waste!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

This is the Trez thead and I'm sorry I responded to the Dennis topic. But I'll make one more point before moving on.

MJST loves using raw stats in trying to prove a player is better in a lineup than another. Who cares about raw stats? What year is this?

Anyway, here are the 4 man lineups with LeBron, AD, KCP net ratings:

+ Dennis: +12 (404 mins)
+ Alex: +20.1 (50 mins)

Screw raw stats. Give me the lineup that kicks the others team's @$$!!!!

Again, Dennis isn't bad. Pretty good in fact. But don't get it twisted. Alex made that lineup BETTER! Give that man those minutes.

The 5 man lineup with Gasol also is big for Alex. But the sample size is too small to care. The 5 man with Drummond is a net 0 for Alex but the sample size is even smaller to care.
πŸ’œπŸ’› πŸ† πŸ‘€ πŸ– #18!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
MJST you are 100% right.

He does not customize his system to his player which we why we came up so short.

Trez and Dennis are 16ppg scorers, without them we will struggle to crack 100 every game next season.....

Caruso
THT
Kuzma
Morris
Harrell

You know He gives you 17ppg start him next to Davis and let his motor carry you to the 4th Q, then let Davis and LeBron do their thing but don't just let 17ppg go to waste!

Harrell's top 3 lineups used had Lebron and Kuzma in them. He didn't play with just the 4 guys you listed.

What the Trez fans can complain about is the lack of consistency in lineups. He played in 23 lineups that played 20+ mins which is on par with his year with the clippers. But the most used lineup only played 66 minutes. His highest on the clippers was 90+ mins. And almost every lineup had Lou Will on it which allows for better chemistry.

I think it would have benefited him to have Dennis come off the bench with him.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
MJST you are 100% right.

Caruso
THT
Kuzma
Morris
Harrell

Harrell's top 3 lineups used had Lebron and Kuzma in them. He didn't play with just the 4 guys you listed.

What the Trez fans can complain about is the lack of consistency in lineups. He played in 23 lineups that played 20+ mins which is on par with his year with the clippers. But the most used lineup only played 66 minutes. His highest on the clippers was 90+ mins. And almost every lineup had Lou Will on it which allows for better chemistry.

Not sure having kuzma in your lineup is a + or a - specially when you are trying to hide harrells defensive weaknesses which is to protect the rim, but either way how did those line ups perform?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
MJST you are 100% right.

Caruso
THT
Kuzma
Morris
Harrell

Not sure having kuzma in your lineup is a + or a - specially when you are trying to hide harrells defensive weaknesses which is to protect the rim, but either way how did those line ups perform?

https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/advanced/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612747&CF=GROUP_NAME*E*Harrell

A bit all over the place. Hard to gauge which players he meshed well with.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
MJST you are 100% right.

Caruso
THT
Kuzma
Morris
Harrell

That is 100% on Vogel. There were plenty of opportunities throughout the season for Vogel to put Scroeder and Harrell together. Harrell detractors have some good points - he's not a great defender by any means. No shooting. He also tends to have low bbIQ. He certainly doesn't make any players around him better. I personally felt that he underperformed this year even by his standards.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject:

the quotes on the first couple of pages are awesome.

If those are all i read i would say hes staying.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
MJST you are 100% right.

Caruso
THT
Kuzma
Morris
Harrell

That is 100% on Vogel. There were plenty of opportunities throughout the season for Vogel to put Scroeder and Harrell together. Harrell detractors have some good points - he's not a great defender by any means. No shooting. He also tends to have low bbIQ. He certainly doesn't make any players around him better. I personally felt that he underperformed this year even by his standards.

Trez's minutes before Vogel screwed around with his minutes and role

15.3 PPG
6.8 REB
1.1 AST
0.7 STL
0.9 BLK
63.5% Field Goal

25.3 MPG (6th Man role)

I'd say that was pretty good for a coming off the bench 5. If his minutes were increased to 27.8 like his 6th man of the year season his numbers would be pretty on point with it.

I agree, it is 100% on Vogel.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject:

Trez will never be who he thinks he is until he gets some semblance of a 3 point shot and can guard opposing power forwards. i say PF because he's just too damn small to be a center.

he's a PF without range.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
Trez will never be who he thinks he is until he gets some semblance of a 3 point shot and can guard opposing power forwards. i say PF because he's just too damn small to be a center.

he's a PF without range.

OK vogel.

Gasol could stretch the floor for him, while he gives you that efficient 17ppg but we never tried that.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

he's a PF without range.

OK vogel.

Gasol could stretch the floor for him, while he gives you that efficient 17ppg but we never tried that.

Without looking I was thinking that they would be bad on defense. So I looked it up for fun.
Harrell and Gasol only had limited minutes on the floor together. 9 to be exact.

Ortg 116.7. Hey, not bad!
Drtg 161.1. Ouch.
Net: -44.4. The horror.

Small sample size. How many more minutes should we have experimented with them together?
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

he's a PF without range.

OK vogel.

Without looking I was thinking that they would be bad on defense. So I looked it up for fun.
Harrell and Gasol only had limited minutes on the floor together. 9 to be exact.

Drtg 161.1. Ouch.

Small sample size. How many more minutes should we have experimented with them together?

LOL a 9 minute sample size....
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

he's a PF without range.

OK vogel.

Drtg 161.1. Ouch.

That's why I asked, how much more did you want to see?
Without looking I knew it wasn't going to be a good defensive lineup.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:36 am    Post subject:

I think with Trez he's not as bad as he's been in the last two playoffs. And he's not as good as his peak stats either. He's a good scorer. He's undersized as a center though, and not a great rebounder as a result. Not a great defender. I think he can be a valuable player for a team.

The biggest problem I see with him is between his ears. He's very emotional, which can swing in either direction. But he also seems to run people wrong.

I do sort of understand where he is coming from though with his minutes disappearing down the stretch. But Drummond is a better all around player than him, and Gasol was a better fit. He just wound up being the odd man out.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject:

The reason Trez will never get significant minutes with AD.

He can not defend elite 5s.
He can not defend quicker smaller 4s.
He does not anchor the D.

Even a guy like Kieff, spaced the floor and was able to defend some smaller or bigger players.

Trez is great at one thing. Scoring. And some teams will utilize that right. We are definitely not one of those teams.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

he's a PF without range.

OK vogel.

Drtg 161.1. Ouch.

That's why I asked, how much more did you want to see?
Without looking I knew it wasn't going to be a good defensive lineup.

"Everyone needs to be aware that it’s an adjustment process when that lineup is on the floor." Gasol on playing next to Harrell

I would assume an adjustment process takes more than 9 minutes. You also have to look at who was playing next to them as well as who they played against.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject:

Who are the defenders of this player? It's clear that you can't win a championship if he's playing major minutes in your rotation... with very few exceptions.

Player is selfish. He brings drama. He's not a good enough player to deal with the headache.

Good riddance.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Montrezl Harrell is reportedly leaning towards opting in to contract for 2021-22 Season

Quote:
Ralph Mason
@Ralph_MasonJr

This is a really good listen for Lakers fans, an off-season preview

Pincus: "My intel is that Trez is leaning towards opting in"
https://twitter.com/Ralph_MasonJr/status/1418267521375895552

Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Montrezl Harrell is reportedly leaning towards opting in to contract for 2021-22 Season

Quote:
Ralph Mason
@Ralph_MasonJr

Trez got exposed (again) that’s why.

Does he have a NTC?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
MJST wrote:

Quote:
Ralph Mason
@Ralph_MasonJr

Does he have a NTC?

It was predictable he would opt in.

Before joining the Lakers, the most he had made was $6 million. I didn't see any team out there that would offer him more than his option.

If he opts in, he's just a player on an expiring contract. He can be dealt without his permission.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
MJST wrote:

Quote:
Ralph Mason
@Ralph_MasonJr

Does he have a NTC?

It was predictable he would opt in.

Before joining the Lakers, the most he had made was $6 million. I didn't see any team out there that would offer him more than his option.

If he opts in, he's just a player on an expiring contract. He can be dealt without his permission.

Him opting in is perfect for us.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
MJST wrote:

Quote:
Ralph Mason
@Ralph_MasonJr

Does he have a NTC?

If he opts in, then no NTC.

If he opts out and takes another 1+1 deal (team or player option on 2nd year), he does have a built in NTC. If he opts out and agrees to facilitate a S&t, he does not.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

So im hearing different things im need someone to clear it up for me? If he opts in does that mean he is an asset to use for a trade or he will have a NTC meaning we cant trade him without his permission? Please someone explain to me im super dumb lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 65 of 66
Jump to: