Calling out Laker medical/training team
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Calling out Laker medical/training team

Year after year, even decade after decade, nagging injuries had derailed this team’s title hope. I’m not taking about major out for the year type of injuries either. Always started out with soreness, the. Lingering on forever. Looks June the Buss family is still operating like mom and pop shop in term of hiring medical/training personnel. I won’t be surprised if Gary Vitti’s ancient methods are still be used today.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Gary Vitti was just as bad.

I mean Chris Mihm had a career ending ankle sprain under Vitti. I've never seen anything like it.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Hire Tim Grover.
LakersARETheGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Charles Barkley just said lakers are dumb for letting ad fly and warm up knowing he should’ve been getting treatment and for once he’s right. Everybody knew he wasn’t going to play.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Lakers are either lying about AD groin strain severity or really are making a bad call trying to rush him back. I want a ring as bad as everyone else but I agree with Chuck, you don't fly and warmup 48 hrs after a nagging injury.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject:

A lot of people were saying, even before the season started, that the short offseason would hit the teams that went deep into the offseason the hardest.

I don't know what an injury staff could have conceivably done better than they have been doing. I would be interested to hear expert analysis from PTs and the like
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling out Laker medical/training team

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Year after year, even decade after decade, nagging injuries had derailed this team’s title hope. I’m not taking about major out for the year type of injuries either. Always started out with soreness, the. Lingering on forever. Looks June the Buss family is still operating like mom and pop shop in term of hiring medical/training personnel. I won’t be surprised if Gary Vitti’s ancient methods are still be used today.

It’s still the same staff as last season’s, the same one that kept everyone relatively healthy enough for a title run. Kobe trusted Dr. Seto like no other. Short turn-around to start the season after the finals, LeBron a year older, more travel, and AD banged up — not the most ideal combo for any training staff.

As for ties to voodoo Gary Vitti, his hand-picked successor got thrown under the bubbling cauldron at the end of the Luke Walton era in 2019.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject:

LakersARETheGOAT wrote:
Charles Barkley just said lakers are dumb for letting ad fly and warm up knowing he should’ve been getting treatment and for once he’s right. Everybody knew he wasn’t going to play.

I don't believe anything Charles Barkley says. if you do the opposite of what Charles Barkley says you will usually be right. And when he's right about something he was 90% of the time guessing and got lucky.

If they had him fly and warm up they must have thought there was a small chance he could play. You don't do that for no reason.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
A lot of people were saying, even before the season started, that the short offseason would hit the teams that went deep into the offseason the hardest.

I don't know what an injury staff could have conceivably done better than they have been doing. I would be interested to hear expert analysis from PTs and the like

Yep.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

I think your prep should start way before an NBA training staff, like in your childhood. I think it would behoove parents of basketball prodigies to sign their kids up for another sport that forces stretching such as Tae Kwon Do or Kung Fu. You will be able to do the splits, as well as other body bending abilities. You will get less muscle related injuries when you get on the basketball court. But I know it's hard to think this far ahead... It's like asking someone to prepare bank accounts for that lottery that they'll win in the future. LOL!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

I remember KAJ saying that yoga was key for his longevity. He played 74+ games in all but one season of his career, plus long post seasons every year.
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
I remember KAJ saying that yoga was key for his longevity. He played 74+ games in all but one season of his career, plus long post seasons every year.

LeBron’s long used yoga as well. I recall once he even taught a yoga class for fun. So there might be something to yoga’s effect on minimizing injuries.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

LBJ's injury was a freak happenstance, can't prevent someone diving at your legs.

AD you can make a case, but they held him out for a long ass time and he was ramping up and looking good for the most part. The knee and groin thing, not sure you can do much about that. Both happen on plays where he is hustling to make a play or going to the hole, it is what it is. Not sure you can blame the medical staff.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

I think his skyhook and style had something to do with it too. AD flies in the air, contorts his body and stuff. Kareem gets positioning down the block and waits for Magic's entry pass, then just bang, bang, hook. No face up game, no taking it off the dribble. Simplicity. Amazing no one else has tried to master the hook shot. The second best hook in the 80's was also on the Lakers... Magic.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
LBJ's injury was a freak happenstance, can't prevent someone diving at your legs.

This is what bothers me the most. This wasn't some kind of "Father Time" stuff, a guy getting injured alone. He was playing at a MVP level before that (bleep).

Solomon Hill might have killed "superhero" LeBron.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Calling out Laker medical/training team

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Given that no team in the NBA history can claim more NBA championships than the Lakers, I am going to say your claim is nonsense. Next, can you provide any data that indicates the Lakers--for decades--have fared worse than any other NBA or even any other sports franchise in games lost to injury?

All teams in all sports have their title hopes intimately tied into their ability to get through a season without serious injuries to their best player(s). Every year, in every sport, a would be title contender goes down due to injury. This is going to happen when you have very strong, very athletic men taking contact and performing extraordinary feats of athleticism.

Lebron had a guy throw himself at his legs. KCP had a guy throw his hips out into his leg (something which I have seen the Suns do a few times, intentionally). AD has been landing like an awkward baby gazelle since before he was on the Lakers. None of this is Lakers training staff related. There is no training staff in the world that could have prevented the injuries to LBJ and KCP, and no training staff that would have gotten a 36 year old with as much mileage as Lebron back on the court much sooner.

AD? Yeah, maybe training staff related, but it is also on the player to invest in their bodies (like Lebron does)--and it isn't clear AD has put the time and money into taking contact better, improving his balance and working on his landings.

Other than that, I'm not sure on what basis you can make this claim. Lakers losing to the Pistons under Riley was on Riley, not Vitti. It was Riley overworking the guys and not allowing rest and thus causing the injuries. Lakers loss in 2004 against the Pistons--again, freak injury to Malone--but otherwise a winnable series lost by a mental collapse. Kobe era came to end because a coach wore Kobe down to the bone, not because of the training staff. I mean we could go on and on, but while there have been some legit gripes about the team medical and training staff over the years, big picture is that the Lakers are the most successful franchise in NBA history and haven't fared any worse than other franchises in the injury department and I'd argue actually that their stars have largely been available to play in the playoffs over the years.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Maybe there is truth to this thread. AD was cleared to play by these bozos and doctors. LOL!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Lebron was like indestructible ... then the Lakers happened.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

Karl Malone was going for Kareem's record too, then the Lakers happened. LOL!
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

I mentioned this in the AD thread as well. Even added a link to Kareem talking about yoga helping him avoid injuries.

Tom Brady and Eli Manning both used yoga and stretching to help them stay healthy.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Drifts wrote:

I remember something along the lines of Malone lost all trust and faith in the Lakers medical team for misdiagnosing his injury and listened to his own doctors. Freaking Lakers.....
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Drifts wrote:

"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Clearing AD to play is medical negligence,
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Fire whoever cleared him. Wtf is wrong with these people.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Nothing wrong with the medical team. They did a great job last year and we won the championship. Injuries happen and we got hit pretty good this season. Just be grateful there were no serious injuries this year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: