Can the Lakers compete with BKN in the Finals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61, 62  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
troy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 3052

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if these so called injuries the Nets are dealing with are legit or not. They could just be saving their big 3 for the playoffs. Maybe they're so good that having on-court experience really isn't necessary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 2998
Location: Mission Viejo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Not sure if these so called injuries the Nets are dealing with are legit or not. They could just be saving their big 3 for the playoffs. Maybe they're so good that having on-court experience really isn't necessary.


It's always necessary if your goal is to win a Championship. No doubt all 3 are fully capable of going for 30-40+ offensively any given night regardless of on-court chemistry but that wont be good enough imo to win it all.

There's no way at least some of KD's injury concerns aren't extremely real though. Him having all that time off then coming back for little stretches and then having more big chunks off isn't a great way to get ready for the Playoffs. If they're having to still give KD minute restrictions and he's not looking right out there the Nets chances of winning it all goes down quite a bit I think. He's the one guy on the team that's literally un guardable. Kyrie and Harden are both great players but they can be at least somewhat game planned against. We all know Harden isn't going to do anything if the majority of the load starts to go on him in the Playoffs. We've seen that movie over and over... and over again.

Depending how the other top Eastern teams are looking along with how Harden is doing going into the Playoffs there could be some trouble for the Nets real quick. I'd still say they're the favorites but that window is getting smaller the closer we get to the Playoffs it seems. On top of all that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see some locker room drama start stirring up when things start getting more serious towards/into the Playoffs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 16341

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

Key to beating the Nets is minimize the turnovers and can’t have long scoring droughts.

It’s funny because even though the Nets have a big 3, the plucky Knicks still get more media coverage. The brand is still strong even after 2 decades of fail
_________________
There’s nothing like being a Laker! -Lebron James
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 5694

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject:

If we had prime Kobe Shaq teams would anybody think we could be beat? I heard someone say shaq wouldn’t be dominant in this era. IMO that team would eviscerate this league. Imho of course
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 2998
Location: Mission Viejo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
If we had prime Kobe Shaq teams would anybody think we could be beat? I heard someone say shaq wouldn’t be dominant in this era. IMO that team would eviscerate this league. Imho of course


Anyone that says Shaq wouldn't be dominant in any past, current or future era is not very trustworthy with basketball knowledge. He'd absolutely still dominate today. Any player that causes an entire league to change multiple rules because it's borderline unfair is going to be just fine. I have no doubt he would have altered a few aspects of his game but regardless what center is going to check him while he was in his prime especially? Him and Kobe would physically and probably even more so mentally destroy the Nets over a series. They don't have anyone to guard Dre let alone possibly the greatest and most unguardable physical specimen in NBA history.

I think some people remember regular season Shaq a bit too much because when he turned it up for the Playoffs during his prime years he was the greatest player i've ever seen and could dominate a game on both ends. His biggest thing is that he usually coasted much of the regular season and later in his career got huge but on the flipside that's probably why he lasted as long as he did. If he had Kobe or Lebron's work ethic he'd be the undisputed GOAT imo. He enjoyed the hell out of life and his basketball career though so I doubt he has any regrets whatsoever.

Tell that guy to watch his earlier tape especially and have him tell you who in the NBA today is going to stop that? He was not just pure power. He had elite footwork and hands as well. He was near automatic anywhere in the paint if you didn't intentionally foul him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lakersfan1211
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Mar 2021
Posts: 383

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Need Philly or MIL to get that #1 seed from BKN to give BKN a tougher route to the Finals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 18309

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Halflife wrote:
If we had prime Kobe Shaq teams would anybody think we could be beat? I heard someone say shaq wouldn’t be dominant in this era. IMO that team would eviscerate this league. Imho of course


Anyone that says Shaq wouldn't be dominant in any past, current or future era is not very trustworthy with basketball knowledge. He'd absolutely still dominate today. Any player that causes an entire league to change multiple rules because it's borderline unfair is going to be just fine. I have no doubt he would have altered a few aspects of his game but regardless what center is going to check him while he was in his prime especially? Him and Kobe would physically and probably even more so mentally destroy the Nets over a series. They don't have anyone to guard Dre let alone possibly the greatest and most unguardable physical specimen in NBA history.

I think some people remember regular season Shaq a bit too much because when he turned it up for the Playoffs during his prime years he was the greatest player i've ever seen and could dominate a game on both ends. His biggest thing is that he usually coasted much of the regular season and later in his career got huge but on the flipside that's probably why he lasted as long as he did. If he had Kobe or Lebron's work ethic he'd be the undisputed GOAT imo. He enjoyed the hell out of life and his basketball career though so I doubt he has any regrets whatsoever.

Tell that guy to watch his earlier tape especially and have him tell you who in the NBA today is going to stop that? He was not just pure power. He had elite footwork and hands as well. He was near automatic anywhere in the paint if you didn't intentionally foul him.


Shaq bulked up because that was the style of the plays but in this era, he would be just like Orlando Shaq aka taller stronger Zion (without the jump shot)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 31992
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
hype wrote:
Halflife wrote:
If we had prime Kobe Shaq teams would anybody think we could be beat? I heard someone say shaq wouldn’t be dominant in this era. IMO that team would eviscerate this league. Imho of course


Anyone that says Shaq wouldn't be dominant in any past, current or future era is not very trustworthy with basketball knowledge. He'd absolutely still dominate today. Any player that causes an entire league to change multiple rules because it's borderline unfair is going to be just fine. I have no doubt he would have altered a few aspects of his game but regardless what center is going to check him while he was in his prime especially? Him and Kobe would physically and probably even more so mentally destroy the Nets over a series. They don't have anyone to guard Dre let alone possibly the greatest and most unguardable physical specimen in NBA history.

I think some people remember regular season Shaq a bit too much because when he turned it up for the Playoffs during his prime years he was the greatest player i've ever seen and could dominate a game on both ends. His biggest thing is that he usually coasted much of the regular season and later in his career got huge but on the flipside that's probably why he lasted as long as he did. If he had Kobe or Lebron's work ethic he'd be the undisputed GOAT imo. He enjoyed the hell out of life and his basketball career though so I doubt he has any regrets whatsoever.

Tell that guy to watch his earlier tape especially and have him tell you who in the NBA today is going to stop that? He was not just pure power. He had elite footwork and hands as well. He was near automatic anywhere in the paint if you didn't intentionally foul him.


Shaq bulked up because that was the style of the plays but in this era, he would be just like Orlando Shaq aka taller stronger Zion (without the jump shot)


Rookie Shaq had handles and could pass. I almost think he would be a bigger, more athletic Jokic without the shooting.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 38144

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject:

LSU Shaq https://youtu.be/WoEWO5ypOPM
_________________
“God knew they couldn’t be on this Earth without each other. He had to bring them home to heaven together.”

— Vanessa Bryant
https://youtu.be/SX3IZULkWx8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 20503

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Shaq would dominate in todays NBA as well as open up the perimeter for any shooters because of the defense having to fold in on him.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 24729

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Anyone that says Shaq wouldn't be dominant in any past, current or future era is not very trustworthy with basketball knowledge. He'd absolutely still dominate today.


I don't disagree with your premise, but the Shaq you are describing existed only during a relatively short window compared to other great centers. That's what makes his career tricky to evaluate. Before the threepeat, he put up some good numbers in the playoffs, but he was nothing extraordinary. Threepeat Shaq was a force of nature, especially in the playoffs. He averaged 30/15 in the first two playoff runs. But by '04, he wasn't the same. He wasn't the same with the Heat, either.

So as the years have gone by, he's become a hard player to rank. If you rank him by his peak during the threepeat, he's top 10 or maybe even top 5. But his career as a whole is more debatable. If we imagine what the threepeat Shaq would do in the modern era, it's hard to imagine how anyone would stop him. But the Shaq from other years might not have been any more imposing than, say, Embiid. That's still really good, but it wouldn't break the league.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kwase
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 2795

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
If we had prime Kobe Shaq teams would anybody think we could be beat? I heard someone say shaq wouldn’t be dominant in this era. IMO that team would eviscerate this league. Imho of course



Wait, who's saying Shaq wouldn't dominate in today's game?!?! Look folks, this is not a "get off my lawn" statement, but any player that dominated in the 80's and 90's would dominate even more today. However, and listen carefully millennials...there are players today that put up big numbers that would not be able to deal the physical and mental toughness of the league 30 years ago. The league is soft now. Please go back and look at those Bulls-Pistons series from the late 80's. Watch the entire games and ask yourself if these dudes today could take that type of punishment. Back then when you came into the league you were going to be tested to see if you would fight back, and if you didn't you were going to get bullied the rest of your career. There are many superstars today that haven't even broken a nail in a game. We need to stop that "Oh the players today are bigger, stronger and more skilled". No, they're not. And that's not just for the NBA...all pro sports have turned into cupcake leagues that don't stress fundamentals.


I was just watching Chris Broussard say that the NBA should shorten the season because 82 games is too hard on the players bodies. Really?!?! Back in the day guys used to play 4 games in 5 nights, travel on a bus, sleep in dinky motels with tiny beds, wear converse All-Stars with no cushioning whatsoever, drink beer after the game and Wilt even smoked cigarettes....but you're gonna tell me with personal chefs, chartered jets, personal trainers, 5-star hotels, state of the art equipment and all the supplements they have now that it's somehow more difficult??? Hogwash, these dudes are soft. I can count on one hand how many players of today could have played back then and been just as successful....with fingers to spare.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PenG_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Feb 2020
Posts: 4341

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Halflife wrote:
If we had prime Kobe Shaq teams would anybody think we could be beat? I heard someone say shaq wouldn’t be dominant in this era. IMO that team would eviscerate this league. Imho of course



Wait, who's saying Shaq wouldn't dominate in today's game?!?! Look folks, this is not a "get off my lawn" statement, but any player that dominated in the 80's and 90's would dominate even more today. However, and listen carefully millennials...there are players today that put up big numbers that would not be able to deal the physical and mental toughness of the league 30 years ago. The league is soft now. Please go back and look at those Bulls-Pistons series from the late 80's. Watch the entire games and ask yourself if these dudes today could take that type of punishment. Back then when you came into the league you were going to be tested to see if you would fight back, and if you didn't you were going to get bullied the rest of your career. There are many superstars today that haven't even broken a nail in a game. We need to stop that "Oh the players today are bigger, stronger and more skilled". No, they're not. And that's not just for the NBA...all pro sports have turned into cupcake leagues that don't stress fundamentals.


I was just watching Chris Broussard say that the NBA should shorten the season because 82 games is too hard on the players bodies. Really?!?! Back in the day guys used to play 4 games in 5 nights, travel on a bus, sleep in dinky motels with tiny beds, wear converse All-Stars with no cushioning whatsoever, drink beer after the game and Wilt even smoked cigarettes....but you're gonna tell me with personal chefs, chartered jets, personal trainers, 5-star hotels, state of the art equipment and all the supplements they have now that it's somehow more difficult??? Hogwash, these dudes are soft. I can count on one hand how many players of today could have played back then and been just as successful....with fingers to spare.


*Dear diary
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kwase
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 2795

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
kwase wrote:
Halflife wrote:
If we had prime Kobe Shaq teams would anybody think we could be beat? I heard someone say shaq wouldn’t be dominant in this era. IMO that team would eviscerate this league. Imho of course



Wait, who's saying Shaq wouldn't dominate in today's game?!?! Look folks, this is not a "get off my lawn" statement, but any player that dominated in the 80's and 90's would dominate even more today. However, and listen carefully millennials...there are players today that put up big numbers that would not be able to deal the physical and mental toughness of the league 30 years ago. The league is soft now. Please go back and look at those Bulls-Pistons series from the late 80's. Watch the entire games and ask yourself if these dudes today could take that type of punishment. Back then when you came into the league you were going to be tested to see if you would fight back, and if you didn't you were going to get bullied the rest of your career. There are many superstars today that haven't even broken a nail in a game. We need to stop that "Oh the players today are bigger, stronger and more skilled". No, they're not. And that's not just for the NBA...all pro sports have turned into cupcake leagues that don't stress fundamentals.


I was just watching Chris Broussard say that the NBA should shorten the season because 82 games is too hard on the players bodies. Really?!?! Back in the day guys used to play 4 games in 5 nights, travel on a bus, sleep in dinky motels with tiny beds, wear converse All-Stars with no cushioning whatsoever, drink beer after the game and Wilt even smoked cigarettes....but you're gonna tell me with personal chefs, chartered jets, personal trainers, 5-star hotels, state of the art equipment and all the supplements they have now that it's somehow more difficult??? Hogwash, these dudes are soft. I can count on one hand how many players of today could have played back then and been just as successful....with fingers to spare.


*Dear diary



I don't do passive-aggressiveness. Is there something I wrote that you don't agree with?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 1059

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Before the threepeat, he put up some good numbers in the playoffs, but he was nothing extraordinary. Threepeat Shaq was a force of nature, especially in the playoffs.


Pre-threepeat Shaq undoubtedly achieved much less. But saying he was 'nothing extraordinary' is inaccurate; he was physically a different kind of a beast, much more lithe and agile, far lighter of foot.
I think his threepeat prowess came from mental maturation, added bulk which better fit that era's style of play, plus some growth in skill (e.g. low post moves). I bet both versions would still dominate in today's game, but I have a feeling that the pre-threepeat Shaq would be an AD-like defensive monster as long as he bought into playing modern-era defense and would be just as effective on offense because modern offenses place more emphasis on agility/athleticism at the 5.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 24729

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Wait, who's saying Shaq wouldn't dominate in today's game?!?! Look folks, this is not a "get off my lawn" statement, but any player that dominated in the 80's and 90's would dominate even more today. However, and listen carefully millennials...there are players today that put up big numbers that would not be able to deal the physical and mental toughness of the league 30 years ago.


Good heavens. I realize that a lot of people put on rose-colored glasses when they remember prior eras, but come on. It sounds like you've watched too many replays of classic playoff series from the '80s, and now that is the way you remember that era. I remember a league that played indifferent defense. The typical player was not physically or mentally tough compared to modern players. The three point shot was a novelty that almost no one could make with any consistency.

So along came the Pistons. They got physical and intimidating, and no one could deal with it. They weren't the norm. They were something new. Then Riley went to the Knicks and started doing something similar. Then we got copycats. It just about killed the game. The league tried shortening the three point line, but it didn't help much, and they moved it back after a year or two. By the time we got to the strike season in 1999, the league average was 91.6 ppg with a pace factor of 88.9. It was a crap product that involved a lot of isos trying to exploit the old illegal defense rule. In the NBA Finals in 1999 between the Knicks and Spurs, no team scored 100 points. The Spurs scored 90 points once. The Spurs beat the Knicks in Game 5 to win the series. The score was 78-77.

So the league changed the game to save it. They changed the old illegal defense rule to the defensive three second rule (which some people call "legalizing zone defense," but that isn't really accurate). They changed the hand checking rules and other rule interpretations. The game started to change in significant ways, starting with the D'Antoni/Nash Suns. But the changes weren't that swift at first, because a lot of coaches, GMs, and players were still stuck in the '90s mindset. By the time Kobe won his last title in 2010, average scoring was up to 100.4 ppg with a pace factor of 92.7. In the last season before the pandemic, it was 111.2 ppg with a pace factor of 100.

The point of this is that the Daly/Riley era was not some sort of golden age of mentally and physically tough players. It was an age of coaches sucking the life out of the game with negative tactics. Yes, a lot of the players from back then wouldn't be able to cut it in the modern game, just for the simple reason that they couldn't make a three point shot. They couldn't guard opposing players by acting like offensive linemen. If they took a cheap shot, they'd get a flagrant foul and probably ejected. Today, they would actually need to . . . play basketball.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 16341

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject:

The Suns played just about as well as they could and the Nets get it to 61-60 at half

Yeah, I don’t know who beats them in the East. Bucks and Sixers have the personnel but I don’t trust them. I have more faith in a Miami upset.

Quote:
ESPN saying no James Harden for the rest of the regular-season. So the Nets will go into the playoffs with Durant-Harden-Irving playing together for all of 7 games. Not optimal.

_________________
There’s nothing like being a Laker! -Lebron James
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PenG_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Feb 2020
Posts: 4341

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm so tired of playoff teams making the Nets look unbeatable. Just once I'd like to tune into a Nets game and watch them get destroyed in an even matchup (not missing two of their big three).

After our collapse last night, I needed the Nets to not easily handle yet another >.500 team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PenG_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Feb 2020
Posts: 4341

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
kwase wrote:
Halflife wrote:
If we had prime Kobe Shaq teams would anybody think we could be beat? I heard someone say shaq wouldn’t be dominant in this era. IMO that team would eviscerate this league. Imho of course



Wait, who's saying Shaq wouldn't dominate in today's game?!?! Look folks, this is not a "get off my lawn" statement, but any player that dominated in the 80's and 90's would dominate even more today. However, and listen carefully millennials...there are players today that put up big numbers that would not be able to deal the physical and mental toughness of the league 30 years ago. The league is soft now. Please go back and look at those Bulls-Pistons series from the late 80's. Watch the entire games and ask yourself if these dudes today could take that type of punishment. Back then when you came into the league you were going to be tested to see if you would fight back, and if you didn't you were going to get bullied the rest of your career. There are many superstars today that haven't even broken a nail in a game. We need to stop that "Oh the players today are bigger, stronger and more skilled". No, they're not. And that's not just for the NBA...all pro sports have turned into cupcake leagues that don't stress fundamentals.


I was just watching Chris Broussard say that the NBA should shorten the season because 82 games is too hard on the players bodies. Really?!?! Back in the day guys used to play 4 games in 5 nights, travel on a bus, sleep in dinky motels with tiny beds, wear converse All-Stars with no cushioning whatsoever, drink beer after the game and Wilt even smoked cigarettes....but you're gonna tell me with personal chefs, chartered jets, personal trainers, 5-star hotels, state of the art equipment and all the supplements they have now that it's somehow more difficult??? Hogwash, these dudes are soft. I can count on one hand how many players of today could have played back then and been just as successful....with fingers to spare.


*Dear diary



I don't do passive-aggressiveness. Is there something I wrote that you don't agree with?


All of it. You're getting defensive because a minority of fans question how Shaq's game would translate across eras. Your response should be about Shaq, not some reflexive lecture about how the current league is "soft". It's just such a tired narrative...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PenG_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Feb 2020
Posts: 4341

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Durant is one of those rare players that doesn't carry rust after a break. Whether it's 3, 10, or 40 games, he puts on a clinic is his first game back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 3075

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Durant is one of those rare players that doesn't carry rust after a break. Whether it's 3, 10, or 40 games, he puts on a clinic is his first game back.


It helps when you take off twice the number of games that are truly required for injury recovery, so you're practicing on a regular basis (for weeks/months) and just not playing in games. Granted, the Nets have earned the right to this luxury since the rest of the league seems content to take ass-whoopings from the Nets' B-Squad on a regular basis.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 20503

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Durant is one of those rare players that doesn't carry rust after a break. Whether it's 3, 10, or 40 games, he puts on a clinic is his first game back.


It helps when you take off twice the number of games that are truly required for injury recovery, so you're practicing on a regular basis (for weeks/months) and just not playing in games. Granted, the Nets have earned the right to this luxury since the rest of the league seems content to take ass-whoopings from the Nets' B-Squad on a regular basis.


One thing D'Antoni is good at, is getting the most out of little. Because he can make an offense they can have fun in and maximize themselves for the most part.

he did it with us in our down years. So with the Nets he can do that as well while guys are on the mend, and then let them take hold when they come back. It's the benefit of having him putting together your offense.

Also people need to put more respect on Kyrie's name, they'd been talking about him as if he was some kind of bum post Boston days. His play to keep the Nets afloat while KD and Harden have been out SHOULD get more credit than it does. That and you have D'Antoni working with another point guard, so Kyrie is getting the kind of plays to maximize what he can do.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 3075

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Durant is one of those rare players that doesn't carry rust after a break. Whether it's 3, 10, or 40 games, he puts on a clinic is his first game back.


It helps when you take off twice the number of games that are truly required for injury recovery, so you're practicing on a regular basis (for weeks/months) and just not playing in games. Granted, the Nets have earned the right to this luxury since the rest of the league seems content to take ass-whoopings from the Nets' B-Squad on a regular basis.


One thing D'Antoni is good at, is getting the most out of little. Because he can make an offense they can have fun in and maximize themselves for the most part.

he did it with us in our down years. So with the Nets he can do that as well while guys are on the mend, and then let them take hold when they come back. It's the benefit of having him putting together your offense.

Also people need to put more respect on Kyrie's name, they'd been talking about him as if he was some kind of bum post Boston days. His play to keep the Nets afloat while KD and Harden have been out SHOULD get more credit than it does. That and you have D'Antoni working with another point guard, so Kyrie is getting the kind of plays to maximize what he can do.


Agree with you 100% about Kyrie. Never thought he was done, and he is one of my favorite (non-Laker) players in the NBA. His game is appealing, and i think his personality is why people tend to disparage him. In terms of D'Antoni, we know that he was one of the main people responsible for Kobe tearing his Achilles in order to drag us into the playoffs (with closer-to-prime Dwight on the team), and D'Antoni has a resume similar to Doc Rivers in the number of choke jobs he has delivered in the playoffs (so i do not put much stock into his regular season offense). However, you are talking about regular season, and he has seen a lot of regular season success similar to Budenholzer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 20503

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
MJST wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Durant is one of those rare players that doesn't carry rust after a break. Whether it's 3, 10, or 40 games, he puts on a clinic is his first game back.


It helps when you take off twice the number of games that are truly required for injury recovery, so you're practicing on a regular basis (for weeks/months) and just not playing in games. Granted, the Nets have earned the right to this luxury since the rest of the league seems content to take ass-whoopings from the Nets' B-Squad on a regular basis.


One thing D'Antoni is good at, is getting the most out of little. Because he can make an offense they can have fun in and maximize themselves for the most part.

he did it with us in our down years. So with the Nets he can do that as well while guys are on the mend, and then let them take hold when they come back. It's the benefit of having him putting together your offense.

Also people need to put more respect on Kyrie's name, they'd been talking about him as if he was some kind of bum post Boston days. His play to keep the Nets afloat while KD and Harden have been out SHOULD get more credit than it does. That and you have D'Antoni working with another point guard, so Kyrie is getting the kind of plays to maximize what he can do.


Agree with you 100% about Kyrie. Never thought he was done, and he is one of my favorite (non-Laker) players in the NBA. His game is appealing, and i think his personality is why people tend to disparage him. In terms of D'Antoni, we know that he was one of the main people responsible for Kobe tearing his Achilles in order to drag us into the playoffs (with closer-to-prime Dwight on the team), and D'Antoni has a resume similar to Doc Rivers in the number of choke jobs he has delivered in the playoffs (so i do not put much stock into his regular season offense). However, you are talking about regular season, and he has seen a lot of regular season success similar to Budenholzer.


I can rant about D'Antoni about a lot of things. But he wasn't responsible for Dwight deciding he didn't want to be a pick and roll center anymore despite having Nash as his point guard and D'Antoni as his coach. Dwight was. When Nash as a teammate has had it with you.. it speaks volumes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2TBz2phCgY

Had Dwight accepted that role and let Pau handle the post ups and pick and pops it would have flowed a lot better.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 14170
Location: L.A County, 26 miles away from Staples Center

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I can rant about D'Antoni about a lot of things. But he wasn't responsible for Dwight deciding he didn't want to be a pick and roll center anymore despite having Nash as his point guard and D'Antoni as his coach. Dwight was. When Nash as a teammate has had it with you.. it speaks volumes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2TBz2phCgY

Had Dwight accepted that role and let Pau handle the post ups and pick and pops it would have flowed a lot better.


That 2013 team had soo much potential. Too many injuries and Dwight thinking he was more like Hakeem than Kareem.
A lot of us complain whenever KCP or AC goes off for 25-30 and we lose being a wasted effort imagine what a waste it was to see a 35 year old Kobe tomahawk dunking , dropping 50 with ease still

This Brooklyn squad is foreal obviously and you got an Harden playing the Nash role, Deandre playing Amare, Blake playing Boris Diaw, KD as Shawn Marion , and Kyrie as Kobe Bryant lol

Will see if there defense will be better than those Suns of 2006 who just couldn’t get over the hump
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 60 of 62
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB