Can the Lakers compete with BKN in the Finals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 6033

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
In a close game, Nets can make their FTs


I don’t see that honestly becoming the deciding factor. High pressure players get it done while guys who can’t handle the spotlight choke.

Just look at Giannis FT shooting against the Suns. That 50 point game wasn’t he like 12/13 or something?

Shaq hit them when it mattered too. That’s why the playoffs are a different beast…the mentally tough players shine.


KD and Kyrie have shown they’re mentally tough in the playoffs no? They’re shown to be pretty reliable closers when the game is on the line. They both were NBA champions too. So the Lakers and Nets both have mentally tough players.

Lakers want to beat the Nets, then don’t keep it close, instead jump on them from the get go and build a big lead and don’t look back.
_________________
Marcellus Wiley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 7330

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
In a close game, Nets can make their FTs


I don’t see that honestly becoming the deciding factor. High pressure players get it done while guys who can’t handle the spotlight choke.

Just look at Giannis FT shooting against the Suns. That 50 point game wasn’t he like 12/13 or something?

Shaq hit them when it mattered too. That’s why the playoffs are a different beast…the mentally tough players shine.


KD and Kyrie have shown they’re mentally tough in the playoffs no? They’re shown to be pretty reliable closers when the game is on the line. They both were NBA champions too. So the Lakers and Nets both have mentally tough players.

Lakers want to beat the Nets, then don’t keep it close, instead jump on them from the get go and build a big lead and don’t look back.

The jury is still out. Easy to win when you have 2 hardened champions in steph and klay and an all world champion in born.

Not saying they cant but we saw when more is needed , sometimes guys come up just an inch short.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 32201

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Shaq hit them when it mattered too. That’s why the playoffs are a different beast…the mentally tough players shine.


You're buying into BS. Shaq said he made them when it mattered, but in reality he was a crappy free throw shooter when it mattered and when it didn't matter.

(His career FT% in the playoffs was 50.4%, a tiny bit lower than he shot in the regular season.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 32201

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

The jury is still out. Easy to win when you have 2 hardened champions in steph and klay and an all world champion in born.


By that standard, you'd have to say the jury is still out on AD and rest of the Lakers roster other than Lebron.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 May 2014
Posts: 2424

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
The Nets are obviously prioritizing shooting over everything. They are trying to create a style of their own like the Warriors few years ago.


They'll still need a center. What helped the warriors tremendously was having Bogut as a last line of defense, and then McGee. The Nets would need a solid center and that would pretty much fill up any gap they have. Because Blake at the 5 I don't think is a year long solution.

They will put Griffin, Aldrige and Claxton at the 5. I honestly think their philosophy is to outscore you instead of trying to stop your offense. Whether it will work or not, I'm not sure but that is what they want to accomplish. Judging from their offseason moves, they are not trying to improve their defense at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57867
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
The Nets are obviously prioritizing shooting over everything. They are trying to create a style of their own like the Warriors few years ago.


They'll still need a center. What helped the warriors tremendously was having Bogut as a last line of defense, and then McGee. The Nets would need a solid center and that would pretty much fill up any gap they have. Because Blake at the 5 I don't think is a year long solution.

They will put Griffin, Aldrige and Claxton at the 5. I honestly think their philosophy is to outscore you instead of trying to stop your offense. Whether it will work or not, I'm not sure but that is what they want to accomplish. Judging from their offseason moves, they are not trying to improve their defense at all.


Can you say Mike D'Antoni.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 21240

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Halflife wrote:

The jury is still out. Easy to win when you have 2 hardened champions in steph and klay and an all world champion in born.


By that standard, you'd have to say the jury is still out on AD and rest of the Lakers roster other than Lebron.


By that logic the jury would still be put on LeBron as he had Wade and Bosh and Kyrie and Love.

I mean how anyone can say "jury is still out" on Kyrie and KD is unbelievable. Especially after their moments where they came up big in the Finals.

Jury can be out on Harden, but not KD and Kyrie. They're provem in that regard.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Sep 2020
Posts: 1649

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject:

It's a very intriguing discussion to compare the Lakers and Nets, both are obviously crazy talented (I do give the slight edge to Brooklyn, for now).

But the champion will still likely be decided by health. Whoever stays the healthiest will win. Granted this isn't as short a turnaround than last season, but health is still the key. That's where the depth of our team will truly shine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57867
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
It's a very intriguing discussion to compare the Lakers and Nets, both are obviously crazy talented (I do give the slight edge to Brooklyn, for now).

But the champion will still likely be decided by health. Whoever stays the healthiest will win. Granted this isn't as short a turnaround than last season, but health is still the key. That's where the depth of our team will truly shine.


Why?
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 138808
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
It's a very intriguing discussion to compare the Lakers and Nets, both are obviously crazy talented (I do give the slight edge to Brooklyn, for now).

But the champion will still likely be decided by health. Whoever stays the healthiest will win. Granted this isn't as short a turnaround than last season, but health is still the key. That's where the depth of our team will truly shine.


Why?


I would give them the edge since they have the overall best player
_________________
If you could choose between dating a supermodel or going fishing, would it be saltwater or freshwater?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Sep 2020
Posts: 1649

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
It's a very intriguing discussion to compare the Lakers and Nets, both are obviously crazy talented (I do give the slight edge to Brooklyn, for now).

But the champion will still likely be decided by health. Whoever stays the healthiest will win. Granted this isn't as short a turnaround than last season, but health is still the key. That's where the depth of our team will truly shine.


Why?


Purely because their starters have been together longer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 45852

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject:

The Nets won't make the Finals again this year in my opinion. I am sure they will have a lot of excuses at the ready though.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epic_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jan 2020
Posts: 5300

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
The Nets won't make the Finals again this year in my opinion. I am sure they will have a lot of excuses at the ready though.


Kyrie will retire.
_________________
💜💛 🏆 👀
I can't wait for Lakers 360° (AD, LBJ, RW)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 4808

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Am I the only one who thinks the Lakers are going to be a top 5 defense? I just don't buy the narrative we can't stop anyone.

AD, Howard, Ariza, Bazemore, West, LBJ, Jordan, Gasol and Rondo are good defenders; and having the best defensive coach in the NBA doesn't hurt either.

The Nets will be the number 1 offense but we will be top 5 in offense and defense.

It will be a tough 7 game series and we might even get blown out in a couple of games when the Nets catch fire. But it will be AD leading the defense and collecting his second ring
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 32656
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks the Lakers are going to be a top 5 defense? I just don't buy the narrative we can't stop anyone.

AD, Howard, Ariza, Bazemore, West, LBJ, Jordan, Gasol and Rondo are good defenders; and having the best defensive coach in the NBA doesn't hurt either.

The Nets will be the number 1 offense but we will be top 5 in offense and defense.

It will be a tough 7 game series and we might even get blown out in a couple of games when the Nets catch fire. But it will be AD leading the defense and collecting his second ring


Why would we suddenly fall from the league’s #1 defense to out of the top 5? Especially with the return of Dwight.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 4808

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks the Lakers are going to be a top 5 defense? I just don't buy the narrative we can't stop anyone.

AD, Howard, Ariza, Bazemore, West, LBJ, Jordan, Gasol and Rondo are good defenders; and having the best defensive coach in the NBA doesn't hurt either.

The Nets will be the number 1 offense but we will be top 5 in offense and defense.

It will be a tough 7 game series and we might even get blown out in a couple of games when the Nets catch fire. But it will be AD leading the defense and collecting his second ring


Why would we suddenly fall from the league’s #1 defense to out of the top 5? Especially with the return of Dwight.


When AD was fully healthy in 2020 he was the runner-up DPOTY, combined that with 5 or more plus defenders and we might end up being the best again
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 19178

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I would give them the edge since they have the overall best player


fair argument, 37yr old vs post achilles that look great 33yr old, I'd say still a tie at best for KD, had one great series but Bron is less than a year removed from a great chip run
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 26764
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject:

James Harden will choke. And that can be a huge edge for us.
_________________
"Anybody have that same fire, that same passion that you have for the game?"

Kobe: "Westbrook plays mean. He plays mean like I did."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57867
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
It's a very intriguing discussion to compare the Lakers and Nets, both are obviously crazy talented (I do give the slight edge to Brooklyn, for now).

But the champion will still likely be decided by health. Whoever stays the healthiest will win. Granted this isn't as short a turnaround than last season, but health is still the key. That's where the depth of our team will truly shine.


Why?


Purely because their starters have been together longer.

Is that why you say now? If so remember Durant, Harden, and Irving have played a total of 13 gtames together.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57867
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
It's a very intriguing discussion to compare the Lakers and Nets, both are obviously crazy talented (I do give the slight edge to Brooklyn, for now).

But the champion will still likely be decided by health. Whoever stays the healthiest will win. Granted this isn't as short a turnaround than last season, but health is still the key. That's where the depth of our team will truly shine.


Why?


I would give them the edge since they have the overall best player

I give Durant a slight edge. After that, we have a more experienced veteran squad. Their feet have been held to the fire on numerous occasions. I don't think they'll crack under pressure. How soon we forget how the game is played down low. Perimeter shooting is off and on. When the game is played under the rim the Lakers have a huge advantage. This is still a big man's game.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57867
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
James Harden will choke. And that can be a huge edge for us.


REALLY?
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 3283
Location: Lake Nacimiento

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
James Harden will choke. And that can be a huge edge for us.


REALLY?


TBF when he chokes it's usually a big game late in the series. It's something we've seen for literally years at this point across several different rosters so is it really that surprising someone is bringing it up? I could care less what his averages are over the entire series or Playoffs if he's failing in the biggest close out games when he's needed most.

He's still a great player and has more help then he ever has when the roster is healthy so I def. wouldn't just automatically expect him to do it but there's a pretty long history of it that will continue to follow him until he overcomes it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57867
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
James Harden will choke. And that can be a huge edge for us.


REALLY?


TBF when he chokes it's usually a big game late in the series. It's something we've seen for literally years at this point across several different rosters so is it really that surprising someone is bringing it up? I could care less what his averages are over the entire series or Playoffs if he's failing in the biggest close out games when he's needed most.

He's still a great player and has more help then he ever has when the roster is healthy so I def. wouldn't just automatically expect him to do it but there's a pretty long history of it that will continue to follow him until he overcomes it.


It's not surprising someone brought it up. It's something he's done on several occasions.

He doesn't have to carry the load by himself in Brooklyn. I think that will be the difference.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 3283
Location: Lake Nacimiento

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
hype wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
James Harden will choke. And that can be a huge edge for us.


REALLY?


TBF when he chokes it's usually a big game late in the series. It's something we've seen for literally years at this point across several different rosters so is it really that surprising someone is bringing it up? I could care less what his averages are over the entire series or Playoffs if he's failing in the biggest close out games when he's needed most.

He's still a great player and has more help then he ever has when the roster is healthy so I def. wouldn't just automatically expect him to do it but there's a pretty long history of it that will continue to follow him until he overcomes it.


It's not surprising someone brought it up. It's something he's done on several occasions.

He doesn't have to carry the load by himself in Brooklyn. I think that will be the difference.


I agree with that.. Durant is the one that truly scares me on that team. They can and likely will hang with anyone even if Harden doesn't fully show up in some games. Like us, health is there only true obstacle to getting to the Finals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 3740

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hype wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
James Harden will choke. And that can be a huge edge for us.


REALLY?


TBF when he chokes it's usually a big game late in the series. It's something we've seen for literally years at this point across several different rosters so is it really that surprising someone is bringing it up? I could care less what his averages are over the entire series or Playoffs if he's failing in the biggest close out games when he's needed most.

He's still a great player and has more help then he ever has when the roster is healthy so I def. wouldn't just automatically expect him to do it but there's a pretty long history of it that will continue to follow him until he overcomes it.


It's not surprising someone brought it up. It's something he's done on several occasions.

He doesn't have to carry the load by himself in Brooklyn. I think that will be the difference.


I agree with that.. Durant is the one that truly scares me on that team. They can and likely will hang with anyone even if Harden doesn't fully show up in some games. Like us, health is there only true obstacle to getting to the Finals.


Yeah, Durant's right up there with the all time greats. Otoh, the one that will scare them, if he returns to expected form or better, is Davis. Bring on Durant, or anyone else, to settle it if AD is doing his thing on an MVP level
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 67 of 73
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB