ANDRE DRUMMOND - Thanks for 21 games (signs with Philly)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 79, 80, 81  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Kava wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
His offensive rebounding is exactly what we need when we get into our 3 point cold streaks.

He’s flawed, but he has a role.

Now that the dust has settled a bit, that is exactly it.

Took some time for expectation to break even with reality.

Yep buyout players are buyout players for a reason.

Both Drummond and McLemore get exposed in certain situations and matchups. On a team like the Lakers, all we need from Drummond is defensive contributions, fill the dunker’s spot and biggest of all snatch as many offensive rebounds as he can.

McLemore provides instant shooting off the bench, but you have to play him in spurts. Good example is last 2 min of 1st quarter where he comes in and hits a couple of 3s...or like last night 2 key baskets in the 4th to keep the Lakers within striking distance.

The problem with players like this is other organizations give them bigger roles and fans get frustrated with their flaws.

Yeah totally. Expectations were very high for Drummond and the reality of his contributions have settled. His role on the team is minimal, but still important. He can gobble up boards and his athleticism allows him to rotate nicely when he wants to. He can only look better once LeBron returns. It'll be a fun week to see LeBron integrating himself back in. I expect easier opportunities for Drum.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Kava wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
His offensive rebounding is exactly what we need when we get into our 3 point cold streaks.

Both Drummond and McLemore get exposed in certain situations and matchups. On a team like the Lakers, all we need from Drummond is defensive contributions, fill the dunker’s spot and biggest of all snatch as many offensive rebounds as he can.

McLemore provides instant shooting off the bench, but you have to play him in spurts. Good example is last 2 min of 1st quarter where he comes in and hits a couple of 3s...or like last night 2 key baskets in the 4th to keep the Lakers within striking distance.

The problem with players like this is other organizations give them bigger roles and fans get frustrated with their flaws.

Yeah totally. Expectations were very high for Drummond and the reality of his contributions have settled. His role on the team is minimal, but still important. He can gobble up boards and his athleticism allows him to rotate nicely when he wants to. He can only look better once LeBron returns. It'll be a fun week to see LeBron integrating himself back in. I expect easier opportunities for Drum.

I agree with a lot of this ......but his role is minimal?...I didn't know defense and rebounding was a minimal contribution. If we go up against Jokic or Gobert minimal becomes significant.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Kava wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I agree with a lot of this ......but his role is minimal?...I didn't know defense and rebounding was a minimal contribution. If we go up against Jokic or Gobert minimal becomes significant.

Poor choice of words then. I meant in the context of expectations for him to score and block shots. He hasn't met our expectations for those, so hence lesser role to rebound and defend. Still very important though as noted.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject:

I thought Drummond was more athletic. Didn't realize how ground bound he was.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I thought Drummond was more athletic. Didn't realize how ground bound he was.

He was, I made the same observation when he got here and played his first few games.

He doesn't have the lift anymore but still moves his feet well. I think he would be better 20 lbs lighter.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yeah, I had him above Dennis when he got here but now after a few weeks of watching, DS is the better player. But it's not like Drum is bad or anything, he is still a plus player for us
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

Drummond is a hybrid of Kwame Brown/Ben Wallace.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

His usefulness is matchup dependent. Glad we have him as another option at C. He's another tool in the toolbox.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Amazingly Drummond is a better offensive player than both those guys (which says more about those guys' utter ineptitude on offense). As a defender, he is worse than both. Compared to Wallace.....different stratasphere. 5th best big defender I have ever seen after Rodman, Olajuwon, Garnett and Mourning.
vcdplaya3002
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject:

Drummond instincts are very bad, but with the right coaching he can definitely be trained to make better decisions. Look at what Vogel did for KCP, Kuzma, and Howard. KCP and Kuzma were considered below average defenders before Vogel got here and they have made big improvements. Howard was basically out of the league until last year. One good sign is that Drummond has made improvements in the last few games.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Amazingly Drummond is a better offensive player than both those guys (which says more about those guys' utter ineptitude on offense). As a defender, he is worse than both. Compared to Wallace.....different stratasphere. 5th best big defender I have ever seen after Rodman, Olajuwon, Garnett and Mourning.

I compared him to Wallace in terms of his tendency to get rebounds and 2nd chances, defensively Wallace was far more superior.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Just dawned on me that Drummond was teammates with KCP for 4 years in Detroit.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Rummond is basically the rebounding version of Trez, no real D
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

I guess, he was out of positions a couple of times against the Rockets who play small ball. For a guy his size, he's pretty quick and can defend the perimeter. He made them pay by feasting on them in the paint. We don't win that game without him.

Also, his block on the three-point shooter in 3 qt was nice
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

I guess, he was out of positions a couple of times against the Rockets who play small ball. For a guy his size, he's pretty quick and can defend the perimeter. He made them pay by feasting on them in the paint. We don't win that game without him.

Be fair. The guy has played 0 minutes with Schro/KCP/LBJ & AD. Judge him in the playoffs when there's practice time, etc.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Be fair. The guy has played 0 minutes with Schro/KCP/LBJ & AD. Judge him in the playoffs when there's practice time, etc.

With his skillset and productivity, my expectation for him is Dwight level of usefulness in last season's playoffs - meaning inconsistency but games here and there where he is extremely useful.
vcdplaya3002
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

With his skillset and productivity, my expectation for him is Dwight level of usefulness in last season's playoffs - meaning inconsistency but games here and there where he is extremely useful.

Which is exactly the role that Vogel has in mind for him. Vogel likes to start the game with a physicality and to beat teams up on the boards. Drummond is going to top out at 20 minutes because hes going to be playing super hard and will either foul out or be too gassed to go beyond that. Howard never played more than 20 minutes in a playoff game as well.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject:

Realistic expectations for Drummond going into any given game for me is only 2 things.

1) Rebounding. We can expect this dude to grab boards consistently. Offensive boards that lead to points is what he's in there for - that's his bread and butter.

2) Being a BIG BODY. Which helps a little on defense to bother shots (although he's far from a rim protector) and setting screens (decent screen setter).

If I had to come up with a No. 3 it would be 'quick hands' as he is often involved in defensive deflections when the ball is exposed to him low.

Healthy Bron/AD will provide easy opportunities for easy shots and easy offensive rebound chances because of the gravity they provide. In other words, Bron and AD will help Drum be better in his (limited) role.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
Realistic expectations for Drummond going into any given game for me is only 2 things.

1) Rebounding. We can expect this dude to grab boards consistently. Offensive boards that lead to points is what he's in there for - that's his bread and butter.

2) Being a BIG BODY. Which helps a little on defense to bother shots (although he's far from a rim protector) and setting screens (decent screen setter).

If I had to come up with a No. 3 it would be 'quick hands' as he is often involved in defensive deflections when the ball is exposed to him low.

Healthy Bron/AD will provide easy opportunities for easy shots and easy offensive rebound chances because of the gravity they provide. In other words, Bron and AD will help Drum be better in his (limited) role.

Why does everyone talk about how big Drummond is when he’s only 6’10? (Then again, so is Dwight.) Bynum and Shaq were 7’1. Pau was 7’0.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Why does everyone talk about how big Drummond is when he’s only 6’10? (Then again, so is Dwight.) Bynum and Shaq were 7’1. Pau was 7’0.

Drummond isn't the tallest center, but he has a lot of mass. That's what people mean when they say he's big.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Drummond isn't the tallest center, but he has a lot of mass. That's what people mean when they say he's big.

Question of the ages...Is it more important to be long or to be thick?

Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Yep Drummond has GIRTH. Look at his legs.

It's not the size though, more importantly it's how you use it, how Vogel uses him I mean
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
Kava wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Yep Drummond has GIRTH. Look at his legs.

It's not the size though, more importantly it's how you use it, how Vogel uses him I mean

Kind of like Draymond. He's like 6'5, but can be as effective as someone who's 7'5.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject:

Drummond makes the Lakers STRONG again, like last season
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject:

Not sold on his Defense and offensive just don’t have the hands imo. I wish he has the Trez motor cause he does reb very well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Page 69 of 81
Jump to: