Who should be our starting point guard next season?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should be the Laker starting PG next season and why?
Dennis Schröder
55%
 55%  [ 33 ]
Alex Caruso
26%
 26%  [ 16 ]
Talen Horton Tucker
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 60

troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Who should be our starting point guard next season?

Forget contract dynamics; based on talent and fit only, if our options for a starting PG were Dennis S, Alex C, or THT next season (no one else), who should we go with and why? Also, who should come off the bench, and who should we "let go"?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject:

AGGRESSIVE CARUSO
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject:

RONDOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!11111

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject:

First off, why would you let any go?

Caruso and THT are quality talent on good contracts. Because of the cap situation the Lakers will either pay too much to keep Schroder or have to let him walk without being able to use his salary for a replacement. Or in other words, a wasted asset.

I've advocated for Caruso to be the starter from the beginning of the season. James is the PG. Always will be. Caruso's defense and energy is a valuable chemistry to play off James.
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Caruso because he fits better with LeBron and AD than the health and safety protocol guy.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

DENNIS ASSET SCHROEDER
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Caruso is leaving in free agency, and - unless he starts playing better - so is Schroder.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Dennis Schroder. His skills will help LeBron cheat old age moving forward.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who should be our starting point guard next season?

troy wrote:
Forget contract dynamics

Oh, well then Steph Curry, Chris Paul, or Lamelo Ball.

But if we get only your three choices, then Schroder, of course. He's better than THT or Caruso.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Caruso is like a playoff veteran now. So cool, calm and collected. Would be a huge mistake if the Lakers don't resign him.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject:

THT isn't ready yet so I'd say none of these 3.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

DS because AC isn't a PG and THT isn't ready. But I hope all three are back next season.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
First off, why would you let any go?

Caruso and THT are quality talent on good contracts. Because of the cap situation the Lakers will either pay too much to keep Schroder or have to let him walk without being able to use his salary for a replacement. Or in other words, a wasted asset.

I've advocated for Caruso to be the starter from the beginning of the season. James is the PG. Always will be. Caruso's defense and energy is a valuable chemistry to play off James.

Alex isn't a very dynamic shooter, but that 40% 3PFG% is sexy as hell. If that's durable - say he's a 38-40% 3pt shooter over his next 3-4 year contract - that's a much more startable player on a championship team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject:

As LBJ ages you need to account for the fact we may have more games where he isn’t around. THT/AC struggled a bit without LBJ but Dennis acquitted himself well, helping keep this team afloat without LBJ/AD. Ergo Lakers recognized that and offered him the max extension they could. I hope we can bring all 3 back as they bring different things to the table.

But a chief concern isn’t how well they play alongside LBJ/AD, but whether they can step up in LBJ/AD’s absence.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Schroeder
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject:

None of them is the ideal point guard for us, but DS is the best of the three at this point.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Missing the "Steph Curry" optio :
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Who should be our starting point guard next season?

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
troy wrote:
Forget contract dynamics

Oh, well then Steph Curry, Chris Paul, or Lamelo Ball.

But if we get only your three choices, then Schroder, of course. He's better than THT or Caruso.

Or Doncic
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject:

Schroeder until you can trade him.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject:

Schroder. THT is not ready and AC is an energy bench guy he's not a starting material. THT is probably another year away from that role.

I feel like Schroder's importance to the offense has been on display since he's been out. The Lakers have adjusted by playing more Gasol and allowing him and AD to create and AD at times to handle the ball. When THT was out though the Lakers are really susceptible to ball pressure. Good teams would exploit that.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject:

Till we have LBJ and prime AD, we don’t need a starting level creating PG. we need a defensive player, a three point shooter, cutter and someone that brings key intangibles.

The second unit PG is the most valuable role. One that we have not filled with Caruso or THT.

For starter, I am fine with THT or Caruso next year. But we need a bench PG leader badly. I really thought Dennis would be that guy. I still hope he becomes that guy in the play in and playoffs and then we can re-sign him confidently knowing he has found his role.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Till we have LBJ and prime AD, we don’t need a starting level creating PG. we need a defensive player, a three point shooter, cutter and someone that brings key intangibles.

The second unit PG is the most valuable role. One that we have not filled with Caruso or THT.

For starter, I am fine with THT or Caruso next year. But we need a bench PG leader badly. I really thought Dennis would be that guy. I still hope he becomes that guy in the play in and playoffs and then we can re-sign him confidently knowing he has found his role.

Conceptually I understand what you're saying. But it's also fair to assume that as LBJ ages, that there may be more games where he doesn't play. And AD is somewhat injury prone, so we may have situations where there are no AD/LBJ. I don't think we can run with that assumption TBH. I 100% get why Rob went for Dennis hoping he would be that starter level PG. He acquitted himself well in AD/LBJ's absence, helping this team win way more games than what many people here thought they would win.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Conceptually I understand what you're saying. But it's also fair to assume that as LBJ ages, that there may be more games where he doesn't play. And AD is somewhat injury prone, so we may have situations where there are no AD/LBJ. I don't think we can run with that assumption TBH. I 100% get why Rob went for Dennis hoping he would be that starter level PG. He acquitted himself well in AD/LBJ's absence, helping this team win way more games than what many people here thought they would win.

The role of a bench player, can be the same. For example, last year, Rondo won 2 games as the team leader when Bron and AD sat out IIRC. That is a much older lesser player. Dennis easily could have been that guy for us when AD-Bron were out this year, coming off the bench.

What pains is me that I see Caruso now start, and he is doing ok around AD. He is not great, but he is good enough to at least manage those minutes. The bleeding happens when Bron sits. That is when we need Dennis to get all in. I really hope this covid time out, gives the coaching staff a look at how great Dennis could be. It still irks me we have the 2 best bench players from last season in the league, and we did not exploit them off the bench.

We need to run Trez-AD-Kuz-Wesley (or THT or McLemore)-Dennis lineups for 4-5 minutes a half when Bron sits, in the play in or playoffs. Then sub in Marc Gasol, for Trez, and Bron for AD to let AD rest. We can manage the game so much more to our advantage if Dennis comes off the bench.

It is crazy how much talent is on this team, and the injuries and starting role has impacted the way games could be managed. There is still time to save the season, IMO. I do not expect a run, but I believe in Dennis and this group still, to be able to get it done if they manage the game better than they have.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

<snip>
It still irks me we have the 2 best bench players from last season in the league, and we did not exploit them off the bench.

Well said, I hoped/assumed for this before season start but have been disappointed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject:

I think it's pretty simple.

If the Lakers do bring Dennis back, it'll be at 20m+. They're not going to re-sign him to that deal for him to come off the bench.

If they aren't able to bring him back, then it gets interesting. I don't think THT is ready. And I'm not sure AC's body can hold up for a whole season + playoffs as a starting guard given his physical style of play.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: