Who should be our starting point guard next season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should be the Laker starting PG next season and why?
Dennis Schröder
55%
 55%  [ 33 ]
Alex Caruso
26%
 26%  [ 16 ]
Talen Horton Tucker
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 60

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think it's pretty simple.

If the Lakers do bring Dennis back, it'll be at 20m+. They're not going to re-sign him to that deal for him to come off the bench.

If they aren't able to bring him back, then it gets interesting. I don't think THT is ready. And I'm not sure AC's body can hold up for a whole season + playoffs as a starting guard given his physical style of play.

I think the chances of Caruso returning are almost nil. He's a Texas kid - Dallas, Houston, San Antonio & OKC all would have cap space and a rotation spot for him.

While I'd value AC at $6 million/year, a team with plenty of space and that wants to promote a work ethic/hustle vibe could easily value him a $9-12 million for 3 or 4 years. I don't see the Lakers going that high to retain Alex.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

Dennis...but he has to be reasonable and accept between $18-20 million.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject:

Maybe im missing something but what can caruso do that DS cant?
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

I value a hot fudge sundae more than a popsicle, but while Caruso is a pretty good popsicle priced at $2.70... Schroder is a mediocre sundae priced at more than 21 dollars and no one else would want to ever buy the sundae from me.

Far from a perfect analogy but it explains the part that Caruso might be a less valuable player but he will probably end up worth his next contract while I'm much less sure that Schroder will be. I love Caruso but I'd never pay 21 million for him... I don't love Schroder but I still recognize his skills... I'd pay him more than Caruso... I just don't want to pay him that much money over a long term contract.

It might end up like the Rondo situation where a team offers Caruso 7.5 to 10 million. Hopefully the Lakers sign him but I suppose it depends how much luxury tax they want to spend.

Again... if we could front load his contract and pay him 100/15/15/15... I'd be happy to sign Schroder because at that price he'd be easy to move.
At 21/21/21/21... 22/22/22/22... even with a cap increase it seems like a steep price. I always thought Lou Williams was an extremely talented sixth man... but I'd never pay him 21 million per year because he was a just a great scorer. I feel the same way about Schroder who plays better defense than Lou but is a way less skilled scorer and shooter.

Who knows... Dennis has shown some improved efficiency before his Covid test... maybe he finally maintains it after 7 or 8 years in the league... but if he doesn't it's really going to suck.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
Not be 6'1
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
I value a hot fudge sundae more than a popsicle, but while Caruso is a pretty good popsicle priced at $2.70... Schroder is a mediocre sundae priced at more than 21 dollars and no one else would want to ever buy the sundae from me.

Far from a perfect analogy but it explains the part that Caruso might be a less valuable player but he will probably end up worth his next contract while I'm much less sure that Schroder will be. I love Caruso but I'd never pay 21 million for him... I don't love Schroder but I still recognize his skills... I'd pay him more than Caruso... I just don't want to pay him that much money over a long term contract.

It might end up like the Rondo situation where a team offers Caruso 7.5 to 10 million. Hopefully the Lakers sign him but I suppose it depends how much luxury tax they want to spend.

Again... if we could front load his contract and pay him 100/15/15/15... I'd be happy to sign Schroder because at that price he'd be easy to move.
At 21/21/21/21... 22/22/22/22... even with a cap increase it seems like a steep price. I always thought Lou Williams was an extremely talented sixth man... but I'd never pay him 21 million per year because he was a just a great scorer. I feel the same way about Schroder who plays better defense than Lou but is a way less skilled scorer and shooter.

Who knows... Dennis has shown some improved efficiency before his Covid test... maybe he finally maintains it after 7 or 8 years in the league... but if he doesn't it's really going to suck.

I don't think Schroder is going to be worth his contract in a vacuum. As we've discussed many times, the Lakers may simply end up paying him more than he's worth because they don't have any way to easily replace him. But, sure, if the Lakers could spend $20 million on anyone, I doubt it would be on him.

I have no idea what kind of offers Caruso will get. He's unrestricted, so Lakers don't have matching ability. I doubt if other teams make him an offer they are going to give him a huge amount of time to consider it. So the Lakers will have to have a fixed idea on whether they are willing to pay him up to $10 million, which I think is the maximum he could get. Even more, they have to decide how much to offer him before he heads out into the market, because they might not even get a chance to match offers.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Not be 6'1

From what I have seen, a couple of other things:

1. Basketball IQ
2. Being able to make a simple post entry pass
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

The sticking point might be the number of years, rather than the amount. (Apparently, he already turned down a 4-year, $84 million offer from us.)

Ultimately, I wouldn't say this is a matter of being "reasonable," but what the market will pay for him.

I doubt he really cares where he plays. He was a professional in Germany at age 17, he's played on three NBA teams so far, and he's learned he can be traded at any time. This is probably his last big contract. He's going for the most money.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think it's pretty simple.

If the Lakers do bring Dennis back, it'll be at 20m+. They're not going to re-sign him to that deal for him to come off the bench.

If they aren't able to bring him back, then it gets interesting. I don't think THT is ready. And I'm not sure AC's body can hold up for a whole season + playoffs as a starting guard given his physical style of play.

I think the chances of Caruso returning are almost nil. He's a Texas kid - Dallas, Houston, San Antonio & OKC all would have cap space and a rotation spot for him.

While I'd value AC at $6 million/year, a team with plenty of space and that wants to promote a work ethic/hustle vibe could easily value him a $9-12 million for 3 or 4 years. I don't see the Lakers going that high to retain Alex.

The value of a guy like Caruso is hard to peg. The guy is 27 years old and he's made a total of $6 million in his career, so it's sensible for him to go with the biggest offer.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:

The sticking point might be the number of years, rather than the amount. (Apparently, he already turned down a 4-year, $84 million offer from us.)

Ultimately, I wouldn't say this is a matter of being "reasonable," but what the market will pay for him.

I doubt he really cares where he plays. He was a professional in Germany at age 17, he's played on three NBA teams so far, and he's learned he can be traded at any time. This is probably his last big contract. He's going for the most money.

Hate to agree with you on this but you're right...he's going to want to cash out....being the starting PG on the Lakers as a championship contender and being compensated nicely isn't good enough.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Not be 6'1

1. Basketball IQ

I'm pretty sure the Lakers feel DS can do a lot more as do I....I'm pretty certain the Lakers will not offer Caruso $84 million for 4 years as reportedly they did with DS. Pretty telling.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Not be 6'1

1. Basketball IQ

The C&S #s have to favor Caruso, as well, right?
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:

How about Steph Curry or Luka Doncic?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Not be 6'1

1. Basketball IQ

I'm pretty sure the Lakers feel DS can do a lot more as do I....I'm pretty certain the Lakers will not offer Caruso $84 million for 4 years as reportedly they did with DS. Pretty telling.

For sure, AC has a ways to go before he can average the point production of Schroder and he obviously doesn’t have the straight line attack to the rim.

I was simply listing a couple of things Caruso does better than Dennis. Both are reasons Caruso is a trusted crunch time player with our 2 stars. Let’s see how Dennis does in the big games where everything from bad turnovers to being in the wrong spots is magnified...
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Not be 6'1

1. Basketball IQ

The C&S #s have to favor Caruso, as well, right?

It feels like it. Although I feel like DS does well on clutch C&S 3s. He has hit a couple of important ones this season. Caruso obviously has hit some too.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject:

I would keep Caruso over Schroder
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject:

I would let go, KuZ , Trez and KCP to keep, all three.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
I would keep Caruso over Schroder

I think AC will get big offers from teams like Dallas.

I expect the Lakers to try to keep all 3, but if AC's price tag is too high (and Dennis is willing to stay), then I see Dennis/THT being retained. And I love AC's hustle and defense.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Hate to agree with you on this but you're right...he's going to want to cash out....being the starting PG on the Lakers as a championship contender and being compensated nicely isn't good enough.

I don't blame him for that myself. For fans, the NBA is entertainment; for players, it's job. After he signs, he could be traded anytime; and the only thing that's guaranteed is the money.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Not be 6'1

1. Basketball IQ

Problems with Caruso at point guard:

1. Not being able to handle ball pressure.
2. Not being able to get by his opponent easily.
3. Not a good shot creator due to not having a great first step.
4. People criticize Dennis for turnovers (justifiably) but his assist to turnover ratio is better than Caruso's while assisting and handling the ball far more often.

I think they both give good effort on defense and overall. I like the feistiness of both guys. But Schroder is a guy who can break down the defense and get to the basket at will. He can also handle ball pressure. Caruso can not do either of those. You see him again tonight being attacked by the defense and he's handling it poorly.

Caruso may be a better value, depending on how much he gets next season. But he is not a starting quality point guard in this league.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject:

If they told Caruso he would be pg he has the aptitude to learn and improve where needed
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Not be 6'1

1. Basketball IQ

Problems with Caruso at point guard:

1. Not being able to handle ball pressure.
2. Not being able to get by his opponent easily.
3. Not a good shot creator due to not having a great first step.
4. People criticize Dennis for turnovers (justifiably) but his assist to turnover ratio is better than Caruso's while assisting and handling the ball far more often.

I think they both give good effort on defense and overall. I like the feistiness of both guys. But Schroder is a guy who can break down the defense and get to the basket at will. He can also handle ball pressure. Caruso can not do either of those. You see him again tonight being attacked by the defense and he's handling it poorly.

Caruso may be a better value, depending on how much he gets next season. But he is not a starting quality point guard in this league.

I think both SD and I want both guys back along with THT and see DS as a starting PG over AC.

With LeBron as de facto PG, though, the question is how much additional values does DS have in the playoffs as an on-ball guy versus an off-ball guy who offers more size/team defense on a defense first team. We'll see how Schröder holds up.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Personally I'd like to see them all three back. Groom THT as the future DS replacement, utilize DS in the meantime. And I feel like Caruso is the type of guy you need on a championship squad.

We may lose one of DS or Caruso though just for financial reasons. THT will be back for sure.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Games like tonight show how far apart AC/THT are from Dennis. They can’t handle the perimeter swarm defense. Hopefully Dennis is back soon (and next season).
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm one of the four who picked THT.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: