UFO’s
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 6446

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: UFO’s

Didn’t see a thread.

I am excited that we are now recognizing that creatures from other worlds may actually exist. Cuomo had a couple guys on that said we can’t automatically assume it’s our adversaries, when referencing flying objects and that we should be open minded to the other side of the spectrum that they could in fact be other worldly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88711
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Ok
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 3111
Location: 921SD

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject:

I want verifiable proof of these here flying saucers.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 6446

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
I want verifiable proof of these here flying saucers.


We got it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 20168

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: UFO’s

Halflife wrote:
Didn’t see a thread.

I am excited that we are now recognizing that creatures from other worlds may actually exist. Cuomo had a couple guys on that said we can’t automatically assume it’s our adversaries, when referencing flying objects and that we should be open minded to the other side of the spectrum that they could in fact be other worldly.


DT is V. V for Visitor. He eats gerbils.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48617
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: UFO’s

Halflife wrote:
Didn’t see a thread.

I am excited that we are now recognizing that creatures from other worlds may actually exist. Cuomo had a couple guys on that said we can’t automatically assume it’s our adversaries, when referencing flying objects and that we should be open minded to the other side of the spectrum that they could in fact be other worldly.


I've always believed that intelligent life has to exist somewhere out in the universe. It's highly arrogant of us to think we are alone and special in such a vast expanse.

That said, it's a huge leap to say that flying objects that we can't identify are evidence that we have been visited by alien life. While that could be a possibility, it's extremely unlikely based on what we have "seen". Logic just doesn't support the idea that any alien lifer sophisticated enough to find us and travel here would lurk in the shadows and not make their presence known—be it benign or aggressive. If their mission was purely observational and they wished to remain invisible, they would use their technology to do so. They wouldn't give us occasional glimpses in shaky, out of focus and amorphous appearances only to mysteriously disappear. If their presence was nefarious, they certainly would make their presence known and definitely would not tip their hand by being occasionally "spotted".

UFO's are clearly "real". But they are just that, an unidentified sighting. The leap to the idea that because the shaky evidence is not immediately explainable in definitive terms means it must be alien is extreme.

I've been fascinated by UFO's and the possibility of alien visitation since I was a kid. And I am eager to see that possibility revealed if it were so. But despite that desire, I have seen nothing yet to even remotely demonstrate it has actually happened in any tangible sense.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48617
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
I want verifiable proof of these here flying saucers.


We got it.


We have photographs and video of apparent aerial phenomenon we can't immediately explain. That's where it ends.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88711
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Despite rapid and long term advancements in photography, all Bigfoot and UFO sightings seem required by law to be shot on low grade 1970’s Polaroid film from a distance of seven miles.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10975

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Despite rapid and long term advancements in photography, all Bigfoot and UFO sightings seem required by law to be shot on low grade 1970’s Polaroid film from a distance of seven miles.


That's a feature, not a bug. And no matter how much our photographic technology advances, samples will still fall on a continuum from perfectly clear and in-focus to barely discernible.

The reason the barely discernible samples are held up ("blobsquatch" was a great term coined to describe them) is precisely because they're barely discernible. If they were more clear, it'd be obvious that they were mundane.

So even in a universe completely absence of anything out there, these edge cases would exist. The critical thinking errors come when people dismiss the mundane explanation for what we know has to be prevalent, in favor of an explanation that requires several new assumptions and leaps of logic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 6446

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

crazy to assume with has vast as space is that we are the only beings. The ego that if we cant do it nothing can is laughable.

IMHO most people brush off even the possibility of other beings, creatures is because it would ruin religion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 3111
Location: 921SD

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject:

I just found this picture of a UFO.

Out of This World

It's not blurry, so it should prove something, right?!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88711
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
crazy to assume with has vast as space is that we are the only beings. The ego that if we cant do it nothing can is laughable.

IMHO most people brush off even the possibility of other beings, creatures is because it would ruin religion.


I’m an atheist and a skeptic. I believe extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, hence why I’m an atheist. I don’t disbelieve that there was is or might be other life in the universe. I remain skeptical that any of the evidence posited for both their interstellar travel and their (repeated) presence here passes even basic muster.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10975

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
crazy to assume with has vast as space is that we are the only beings. The ego that if we cant do it nothing can is laughable.

IMHO most people brush off even the possibility of other beings, creatures is because it would ruin religion.


The question of whether there is life elsewhere is a very different one, of course. One of the fallacies (a strawman argument) that frequency this is used in retort to what I said above. The dialog of the form:

Person 1: This is evidence that intelligent life is out there, and they're here!

Person 2: That's really bad evidence for anything like that

Person 1: How can you deny that life exists out there in the universe?

Of course, Person 2 said absolutely nothing about the greater question, which is what makes it a strawman.

I assume the universe is actually teeming with life, but the presumption that intelligent life is a natural result is an incorrect teleological view of evolution. Almost all of the life in the universe may turn out to be some form of slime mold.

Also, you vastly underestimate the adaptability of religion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 7623
Location: Orange County

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject:

The universe is too big for us to be the lone intelligent life. Its almost an impossible when consider how many planets in the habitable zone NASA has found just in the past 10 or so years. I just don't think any of them have visited Earth.
_________________
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 34954

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I believe in life on other planets, but seems ridiculous that a civilization that can travel light years from their homeworld wouldn't be able to conceal themselves from humans. You are telling me they have interstellar travel technology but don't have the advancements to cloak themselves from being seen from us?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief


Joined: 07 Sep 2001
Posts: 38548
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Here's that 60 Minutes story on the UAP Taskforce that aired this weekend:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ufo-military-intelligence-60-minutes-2021-05-16/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 32203

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject:

I talked to some Moonies, but they didn't register as intelligent life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bol
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3846

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I believe in life on other planets, but seems ridiculous that a civilization that can travel light years from their homeworld wouldn't be able to conceal themselves from humans. You are telling me they have interstellar travel technology but don't have the advancements to cloak themselves from being seen from us?


Could be testing our reaction to see if we're hostile. Or just trolling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 6446

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

with so much untouched ocean and no full impenetrable proof that there was ever a beginning of time who knows if they have been here. With as lush as our planet is I believe "they're here". (name that movie)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88711
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
with so much untouched ocean and no full impenetrable proof that there was ever a beginning of time who knows if they have been here. With as lush as our planet is I believe "they're here". (name that movie)


Who knows any unprovable thing? So they’re all true.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 21796
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject:

All I know about UFO's I learned from the X-Files.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88711
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
All I know about UFO's I learned from the X-Files.


All I learned from the x files is don’t play the drinking game where you drink every time they say Sculley or Mulder.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 6059
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject:

I too think there's probably some kind of life out there, but when people debate this, it amazes me how restricted their thinking is.

Life on our planet is a miracle and maybe an accident. Our planet is the perfect distance from the sun, it evolved to have water, we have oxygen and co2 in the atmosphere, etc.

Maybe water is not a requirement for life on other planets. Maybe advanced life can exist if it's 100 or more degrees above or below zero Fahrenheit. Maybe respiration doesn't require oxygen or co2.

For all we know, there may be a life form on another planet that's 100x more advanced than us that functions in a way that even our brightest scientists cannot conceive of. Or maybe, as LC said above, the only other life out there is slime mold, or no life at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 18544

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/19/politics/barack-obama-ufos/index.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 32203

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I too think there's probably some kind of life out there, but when people debate this, it amazes me how restricted their thinking is.

Life on our planet is a miracle and maybe an accident. Our planet is the perfect distance from the sun, it evolved to have water, we have oxygen and co2 in the atmosphere, etc.

Maybe water is not a requirement for life on other planets. Maybe advanced life can exist if it's 100 or more degrees above or below zero Fahrenheit. Maybe respiration doesn't require oxygen or co2.

For all we know, there may be a life form on another planet that's 100x more advanced than us that functions in a way that even our brightest scientists cannot conceive of. Or maybe, as LC said above, the only other life out there is slime mold, or no life at all.



I'm sure life forms are fairly flexible in terms of habitats, but the vast majority of those life forms are anaerobic bacteria, or if the cocktail of ambient conditions exist, perhaps fungi, archaea, or as LarryCoon put it, a protozoan akin to slime molds. You pretty much need a massive amount of water just to regulate the surface temperature of a planet, at least in terms of developing an environment suitable for something to eventually evolve into a more advanced life form.

Chances are there's probably something advanced out there, due to the trillions of stars there has to be a combo of ambient water, oxygen, carbon, and nitrogen with a temp and gravitational state conducive to advanced life. If we assume we're rather unremarkable, then there's an excellent chance that we're not alone. But any life form that advances would have to squash the known constraints of physics, and also manage to not destroy themselves by poisoning their own planet with either pollutants or violent acts of stupidity.

I strive to remain open-minded, but I need something more tangible than sketchy evidence. As the great philosopher Fox Mulder once said, "I want to believe."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB