UFO’s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Are you guys really arguing about God on the internet?

Did I miss something, do we think the UFOs are emissaries from God(s)?

I was just hoping for benevolent overlords who would curb climate warming and the Republicans.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Believing that UFO's exist is akin to believing that God exists: It's not for everybody. Accepting that makes for a less stressful life.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
How did we go from UFOs to religion?

They are actually intertwined in many ways. 😉
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Of course. Back when I lived in Long Beach, there was this cult called Morningland. Their core belief is that the founder's dead husband was circling the Earth in a flying saucer, and that if you prayed to him he'd pull a lever or something and deliver your wish.

They also used to wear these colorful togas when attending weekend service. That's been inspiration to me; I live each day as if it's one big toga party.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:

I was just hoping for benevolent overlords who would curb climate warming and the Republicans.

White Jesus not getting it done for you?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Of course. Back when I lived in Long Beach, there was this cult called Morningland. Their core belief is that the founder's dead husband was circling the Earth in a flying saucer, and that if you prayed to him he'd pull a lever or something and deliver your wish.

They also used to wear these colorful togas when attending weekend service. That's been inspiration to me; I live each day as if it's one big toga party.

As one should
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Then there are scientologists, who deify a dude named Ron.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

I like these two comments:

LarryCoon wrote:
...and a great degree of neuropsychological humility (the recognition of all way ways thinking can go awry, and the realization that the easiest person to fool is yourself).

Omar Little wrote:
Yup, the best way to learn critical thinking is to attack your own beliefs and arguments. When you can no longer BS yourself, you find external BS to be child’s play.

I've always felt the most painless way to grow is through humility. Those dark nights of the soul (or other similar experiences) people have where their closely held beliefs start to evolve...those can be crushing/shattering experiences. Why? Because it's going up against your ego. The more your ego fights back, the harder it is to see truth about something. But people either break through that or they stay where they are at. The more ego involved, the harder to break through. Because it's painful.

So humility is one of those skills/virtues/traits that should be cherished.

Growth/maturity, in general, is also about your ability to take on more perspectives. That means less of your own ego getting in the way and more ability to see through someone else's eyes.

Now suppose you are extremely humble and you have a great ability to see through a wide range of perspectives, this takes you down the path of trying to see through the perspectives of those you disagree with. (This gets really difficult!)

The challenge really becomes to see the "truth" that they see and work from there. It's like if I only know multiplication/division and someone is showing me calculus, I'm going to be confused. Whereas if I'm well versed in calculus, and someone is showing me multiplication/division... well, I've been down that path, so I understand that it's hard to see what I see.

The humble person is more willing to learn what is needed to get to calculus (even if the teacher is an arrogant ass). Flipping it...the humble person is more skillful in teaching the next step after multiplication/division (even if the student is an arrogant ass). Now when you have two arrogant people, it pretty much gets no where.

(And I'm not saying anyone is doing this in this thread, lol ... the nature of civil discussion like we're having here is that there is some degree of humility among us all.) Just want to highlight the importance of humility as it's not talked about enough.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Scientology though crazy is no more crazy than any other religion. For me believing in alien life form is far more of a possibility than believing in the Type of god being preached about from the various books.

Last edited by Halflife on Fri May 21, 2021 2:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I like these two comments:

Similarly, I like this comment:

DancingBarry wrote:
I've always felt the most painless way to grow is through humility.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Scientology though crazy is no more crazy than any other religion. For me believing in alien life form is far more of a possibility than believing in Jesus

I can see that, I just chuckle at the name.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
SweetP wrote:

Jesus was a Capricorn
He ate organic food
He believed in love and peace
And never wore no shoes
Long hair, beard and sandals
And a funky bunch of friends
Reckon we'd just nail him up
If he comes back again

Brown Jesus that is.

Last edited by SweetP on Fri May 21, 2021 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Jesus probably wore Birkenstock’s.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Jesus probably wore Birkenstock’s.

Maybe Birkenstock stole the design for Jesuses
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Did you guys watch the show "Sightings" back in the day? I used to love that!

I have always thought of aliens as a possibility, but one that lacks sufficient proof. I'm not saying they don't/can't exist, but that the evidence to show their existence just hasn't been shown.

I found the 60 minutes report very disturbing. Take all the alien/ufo/little green men stuff out and you have our most advanced fighter jets in contact with a technology so advanced that they were helpless against it. Nothing hostile happened but its fascinating to hear and see what they experienced. I found it very credible and a bit scary.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

I've always felt the most painless way to grow is through humility. Those dark nights of the soul (or other similar experiences) people have where their closely held beliefs start to evolve...those can be crushing/shattering experiences. Why? Because it's going up against your ego. The more your ego fights back, the harder it is to see truth about something. But people either break through that or they stay where they are at. The more ego involved, the harder to break through. Because it's painful.

DB - I do not think I ever looked at it that way, but so true. Just one, very brief, example of how that related to me I will share...maybe it will help someone else. Apologies for the brief diversion.

Years and years ago, well before I met my wife, I was very much in love with a woman who just did not feel the same way (at the time I did not see it that way). We knew each other for quite awhile dated for awhile, she ended it. I thought she had said / done things that were just "leading me on". While I let it go to some degree, and stopped talking to her, etc (as you probably should), emotionally and mentally I had a hard time believing it was "me" and was allowing myself to just read too much into things I should not...I kept (whenever I thought of that situation) blaming that other person.

Fast forward a couple years later, after having gone through some self-reflection on things. On came the Doobie Brothers song on the radio, "a fool believes"...and it hit me like a bolt. I was like, holy cow, that song reminds me of *me*...just like the man being discussed in the song, I was seeing things that were not...really...there.

A nice little further blow to my ego? Yep. I realized I was just being a childish fool whose feelings were hurt. However, did I feel relieved at understanding the truth? Yep. Suddenly, I felt no more frustration with this person. The only person to blame all along...was me.

Ran into her sometime later after that and we exchanged pleasantries. She was then married. I apologized for having said anything negative to her in the past, as she did not deserve it. I can honestly say that caused both her, and I, a nice sense of relief.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking that. Just mentioning that I had to really look at me to figure what's up, which required some degree of humility...ultimately led me to meeting the woman I'd marry and have a daughter with.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming: UFO or scratched film, you decide!
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject:

UFOs are basically like those youtube ghost hunters. A lot of grainy and poorly edited videos but not much else.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
SweetP wrote:

Revelation 1:15
King James Version
15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject:

For the last day or so UFO's have been a news subject.

Government UFO report finds no evidence flying objects are aliens but does not rule possibility out, reports say

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

Stanton T. Friedman QUOTE:

"There is no doubt in my mind, after 37 years of study and investigation that the evidence is overwhelming that planet Earth is being visited by intelligently controlled vehicles whose origin is extraterrestrial.

There are no acceptable arguments against flying saucer reality, only people who either haven't studied the relevant data or have a strong will not to believe that Earth is at the bottom of the heap sociologically and technologically in our local galactic neighborhood."

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject:

Where is the incontrovertible proof, not just somebody's opinion?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Stanton T. Friedman QUOTE:

"There is no doubt in my mind, after 37 years of study and investigation that the evidence is overwhelming that planet Earth is being visited by intelligently controlled vehicles whose origin is extraterrestrial.

There are no acceptable arguments against flying saucer reality, only people who either haven't studied the relevant data or have a strong will not to believe that Earth is at the bottom of the heap sociologically and technologically in our local galactic neighborhood."

Lots to unpack there, starting with, "no doubt in my mind". If there is no doubt in the empirical sense, then "in my mind" is neither necessary nor relevant.

Then we move on to, "the evidence is overwhelming that planet Earth is being visited by intelligently controlled vehicles whose origin is extraterrestrial." The scientific community is wholly invested in verifiable truth. The entire endeavor of empirical investigation is based on weighing verifiable evidence, assessing that veracity and assigning an an objective truth to it. Therefor, if the above statement were true, that statement would be wholly embraced by the scientific community. Which brings us back to the "in my mind" comment. There'd be a meeting of the minds on this, not a distinction between what is in Friedman's and what the rest of the scientific community believed to be proven or not.

"There are no acceptable arguments against flying saucer reality" is a flawed statement at its core. First of all, "acceptable" to whom? Those who are emotionally invested in their own perceived reality? Secondly, there is no proving a negative and more importantly, no onus on people to prove that negative—it's like the statement "there's no proof that there are not leprechauns in the garden" (to loosely borrow from Omar). It is not a question of somehow proving that something doesn't exist. The point is, if the assertion is that there are indeed leprechauns in the garden, then it is that which must be proven.

And finally we get to the portion you bolded. That's projection at its essence. The idea that the only reasons people don't believe alien visitation is either ignorance or willfulness based emotional investment is based on the dismissiveness that comes from one's own emotional investment that the assertion must be true. "You don't believe because you don't want to believe" are the words of someone who is so invested in a belief that their only recourse is to pretend the lack of shared belief is tied to willful ignorance.

Bottomline, if Friedman were correct about the amount of evidence and the value of that evidence, there would be a unified support for the assertion that UFO's are in fact extraterrestrial. But there's obviously not, for obvious reason—that being the evidence is not as overwhelming as it is "in [his] mind".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Government UFO report finds no evidence flying objects are aliens but does not rule possibility out, reports say

LINK

i fully believe the Govt. would not acknowledge as fact due to religion.

Unfortunately unless something lands on the pentagons doorstep they will continue to protect religion. Hell, i dont even think we ever saw the remains of the plane that hit the pentagon. j/k
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

i fully believe the Govt. would not acknowledge as fact due to religion.

Unfortunately unless something lands on the pentagons doorstep they will continue to protect religion. Hell, i dont even think we ever saw the remains of the plane that hit the pentagon. j/k

Please explain.

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject:

In light of there not being concrete evidence, one has to rely on critical thinking. Critical thinking requires an open mind. Having a preconceived negative perception of a topic does NOT allow for critical thinking! Now, I would love to see irrefutable evidence as much as anyone, but in the absence of such, let’s apply some critical thinking:

1. Stanton Friedman graduated from the University of Chicago, earning Bachelor of Science and a Master in Nuclear Physics. He worked as a Nuclear Physicist at places such as General Electric, TRW Systems, General Motors, McDonnell Douglas, where he worked on advanced, classified nuclear programs, fusion/fission rockets, nuclear power plants for space vehicles! In the 1958 he began studying and researching the UFO phenomenon, which he did for the next 61 years!

2. J. Allen Hynek was an Astronomer and Professor, hired by the US Government in the late 1940’s to help debunk UFO reports, which he did for many years. But by the mid-to-late 60’s, he had come across so many unexplainable details that he did a flip-flop and was convinced that UFO’s were under alien control. Without his continuing debunking support, Blue Book was officially closed. He closely studied Govt. UFO reports from 1947 to 1969 and continued his research another 17 years until his death, being involved in the UFO phenomenon for over 40 years!

BOTH of these men were far more experienced and worlds smarter than anyone on this website! So circling back to critical thinking, I put it to you Greg (a little Animal House quote):

Are you going to believe two guys who looked at thousands of UFO reports, looked into the eyes of hundreds of actual witnesses, who had access to classified and Govt. related documents and BOTH independently came to the conclusion that UFO’s were of extra terrestrial origin?

Or does your critical thinking support the “research” (sic) of reading debunking articles on the Internet?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10
Jump to: