UFO’s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 10251
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject:

If documented evidence of ET life truly existed, then I don't think it would be made public, I'd imagine it would be pretty classified.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 11238
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: UFO’s

Halflife wrote:
Didn’t see a thread.

I am excited that we are now recognizing that creatures from other worlds may actually exist. Cuomo had a couple guys on that said we can’t automatically assume it’s our adversaries, when referencing flying objects and that we should be open minded to the other side of the spectrum that they could in fact be other worldly.


Save your breath, or in this case, your fingers typing, unless an Alien aircraft lands on the White House lawn on the 6-o'clock news, the hundreds of thousands of UFO reports and the hundreds (maybe thousands) of alien contact reports are not gonna get a fair shake in here...

You'd have a better chance convincing "them" that Trump was a "good" president...(lol) and like you've seen you'll end up with the "mob" piling on you...

Cheers!

LINK: https://ufocasebook.com/
_________________
“Always remember... Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48617
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: UFO’s

unleasHell wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Didn’t see a thread.

I am excited that we are now recognizing that creatures from other worlds may actually exist. Cuomo had a couple guys on that said we can’t automatically assume it’s our adversaries, when referencing flying objects and that we should be open minded to the other side of the spectrum that they could in fact be other worldly.


Save your breath, or in this case, your fingers typing, unless an Alien aircraft lands on the White House lawn on the 6-o'clock news, the hundreds of thousands of UFO reports and the hundreds (maybe thousands) of alien contact reports are not gonna get a fair shake in here...

You'd have a better chance convincing "them" that Trump was a "good" president...(lol) and like you've seen you'll end up with the "mob" piling on you...

Cheers!

LINK: https://ufocasebook.com/




Yeah, those who, quite correctly, point out that there is no genuine evidence that alien life has visited this planet are the unreasonable ones.

And by the way, "reports" without actual evidence are simply stories, not proof.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10975

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject:

I don't remember the details of this story, and I'd look them up before posting if I had a little more time. It's an interesting illustration of how our minds work. I -think- it was in Japan, and around 50 years ago, that a tiger (I think) was reported missing from the local zoo. Residents were advised to be on the lookout. What followed were dozens of very detailed reports of sightings -- what the animal looked like, how it behaved, which direction it went, etc.

It was immediately clear just from the number and geographic distribution of reports that they couldn't all be true -- one tiger just can't be in so many different places at basically the same time. It was later discovered what really happened -- the tiger did escape, but died on the railroad tracks right next to the zoo almost immediately afterward. EVERY report was incorrect.

So were they all lying? Certainly not -- although there may have been a scattering of hoax reports. People saw what they saw, but their minds were already influenced by the reports they had heard. The thing that they saw (maybe some other animal, maybe wind rustling the leaves, maybe a glint of sunlight, maybe something out of the corner of their eye) was woven into the narrative that they were given, and boom -- it was the tiger. Some of them continued to swear that they saw the tiger, even after it was demonstrated they couldn't have.

Or brains see what they are primed to see. And it's nearly impossible to convince someone they didn't see or experience what they thought they saw or experienced. We know how easily our brains glitch, how they respond to suggestion, how they can be fooled, and how people can fool themselves. But first-hand experience is very, very powerful.

One of the telling things about the UFO phenomenon is that the narrative evolves in exactly the way that cultural narratives do. One newspaper report described a flying object as "saucer-shaped" and then everyone started seeing flying saucers. One couple described being abducted, and then everyone started reporting being alien abduction victims. The body morphology of aliens slowly evolved and coalesced into the current little-gray meme. Perception is colored by expectation -- people see what they're primed to see.

We are living through the formation of a modern cultural mythology. We can see the mythology evolve, and there is ample documentation of the process. Absolutely everything about this fits very neatly into the known parameters of human psychology and behavior. We don't need anything else to explain it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 18544

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I don't remember the details of this story, and I'd look them up before posting if I had a little more time. It's an interesting illustration of how our minds work. I -think- it was in Japan, and around 50 years ago, that a tiger (I think) was reported missing from the local zoo. Residents were advised to be on the lookout. What followed were dozens of very detailed reports of sightings -- what the animal looked like, how it behaved, which direction it went, etc.

It was immediately clear just from the number and geographic distribution of reports that they couldn't all be true -- one tiger just can't be in so many different places at basically the same time. It was later discovered what really happened -- the tiger did escape, but died on the railroad tracks right next to the zoo almost immediately afterward. EVERY report was incorrect.

So were they all lying? Certainly not -- although there may have been a scattering of hoax reports. People saw what they saw, but their minds were already influenced by the reports they had heard. The thing that they saw (maybe some other animal, maybe wind rustling the leaves, maybe a glint of sunlight, maybe something out of the corner of their eye) was woven into the narrative that they were given, and boom -- it was the tiger. Some of them continued to swear that they saw the tiger, even after it was demonstrated they couldn't have.

Or brains see what they are primed to see. And it's nearly impossible to convince someone they didn't see or experience what they thought they saw or experienced. We know how easily our brains glitch, how they respond to suggestion, how they can be fooled, and how people can fool themselves. But first-hand experience is very, very powerful.

One of the telling things about the UFO phenomenon is that the narrative evolves in exactly the way that cultural narratives do. One newspaper report described a flying object as "saucer-shaped" and then everyone started seeing flying saucers. One couple described being abducted, and then everyone started reporting being alien abduction victims. The body morphology of aliens slowly evolved and coalesced into the current little-gray meme. Perception is colored by expectation -- people see what they're primed to see.

We are living through the formation of a modern cultural mythology. We can see the mythology evolve, and there is ample documentation of the process. Absolutely everything about this fits very neatly into the known parameters of human psychology and behavior. We don't need anything else to explain it.


Sounds like fox news
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10975

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: UFO’s

unleasHell wrote:
Save your breath, or in this case, your fingers typing, unless an Alien aircraft lands on the White House lawn on the 6-o'clock news, the hundreds of thousands of UFO reports and the hundreds (maybe thousands) of alien contact reports are not gonna get a fair shake in here...

You'd have a better chance convincing "them" that Trump was a "good" president...(lol) and like you've seen you'll end up with the "mob" piling on you...

Cheers!

LINK: https://ufocasebook.com/


Even after all these years, what you will never understand -- through a combination of wanting it to be true, coupled with a refusal to really understand the reasons -- is that you've gotten an absolutely fair shake in here.

An analogy I've made before about a dozen times with you (so hell, why not another?) is that if a flat-Earther came in here with equivalent arguments, and persisted in those arguments for a decade, they could be saying the same thing as you right now. There is really zero functional difference between your argument and the flat-Earth argument. The number of people who think it's true doesn't matter. All the instances of anomaly hunting in order to say, "See? Explain this!" doesn't matter. They're all easily explained, or if not explained, don't lead to your conclusion anyway.

And people not agreeing with your arguments doesn't mean you're not getting a fair shake. It just means they're bad arguments.

And I know you don't have the tools to understand that. And I also know that you're invested in your narrative, so you will NEVER understand that. So I suspect we'll be having this conversation again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10975

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Near death is also subjective. I had an out of body experience. I was at a family gathering. I saw myself sitting in a chair talking to my sister in law. It lasted about 10 maybe 15 seconds. Nothing unusual happened, it was a flash.

I know this happened and whether anyone believes it or not will not convince me it didn't.


OF COURSE nothing will ever convince you it' didn't. It was your first-person experience.

But to what extent have you ever questioned the reliability of your first-person experience?

We know for a fact that there are specific areas of the brain that do specific things. One of those areas gives you the feeling of being inside your own head.

We can turn off areas of the brain -- drugs can do it bluntly, but trans-cranial magnetic stimulation can do it precisely. If we had access to someone with the right medical equipment, we could hook you up and give you an out-of-body experience today.

Sometimes brains glitch. Sometimes it happens randomly. Sometimes it's when people are under chemical influences, or even just overly tired. Sometimes it happens for specific reasons, like a person being in the initial stages of dying, and the brain -- the first organ affected -- starts to experience the effects first.

But people always interpret brain experiences as external experiences. They say, "I had an out-of-body experience," not "My brain was glitching."

Consider this possibility -- the brain that had an experience, and whose reality-testing concludes that it was real, and whose memory now cements the experience, is the same brain that was glitching at the time.

So yeah, of course nothing will ever convince you otherwise. That's how brains work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88711
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:
crazy to assume with has vast as space is that we are the only beings. The ego that if we cant do it nothing can is laughable.

IMHO most people brush off even the possibility of other beings, creatures is because it would ruin religion.


I’m an atheist and a skeptic. I believe extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, hence why I’m an atheist. I don’t disbelieve that there was is or might be other life in the universe. I remain skeptical that any of the evidence posited for both their interstellar travel and their (repeated) presence here passes even basic muster.


My thoughts are similar to yours in that I require material evidence to lead me towards a belief....but that process led me to being agnostic (as opposed to atheism). Similarly that is where I am on much of the recent news regarding UFO's/UAP's....while I have not seen evidence to prove they are intergalactic or from beyond Earth, until they are explained I also do not know they did not originate beyond our planet.


I get you, and agree that you don’t know, the question becomes where your bull position is. My null is not to give the unknown more or equal or even significant possibility without compelling evidence to support it. Going back to my invisible gnome in the garden, it is possible that one exists, but there is no evidence of one, so I am not on the fence, or agnostic if you will. I am “atheistic” about invisible gnomes, just as I am about anything for which there isn’t any compelling evidence.

Fwiw, being atheist doesn’t imply the same resistance to evidence and mind made up of theism. A lot of people think they are agnostic because they allow that there might be a god. So do I, and if sufficient evidence appeared I would stop being an atheist. Atheism merely means that my null position is the lack of belief that it is true lacking compelling evidence. There are “hard” atheists who categorically believe there’s no way no how no possibility, but I don’t confine myself to that hard line for things which I cannot know all the evidence (which is almost anything really if you think about it). I merely don’t waste time in the supposition of possibility for things that have no real evidence. An absence of belief vs a belief of absence. Most people who think they are agnostic are actually atheist, they just don’t know it.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 3111
Location: 921SD

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

I had an out-of-body experience, but I was greatly compromised by recreational pharmaceuticals: I thought/felt I was being transported through time/space, but when I became less semi-unconscious, I was in the same bed in which I had lain down . . . minutes before.



Speed kills: Don't meth with it.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 56876
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

If undeniable evidence is provided that aliens exist I'll accept it. Until that evidence is provided I'm gonna say maybe.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 56876
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Near death is also subjective. I had an out of body experience. I was at a family gathering. I saw myself sitting in a chair talking to my sister in law. It lasted about 10 maybe 15 seconds. Nothing unusual happened, it was a flash.

I know this happened and whether anyone believes it or not will not convince me it didn't.


OF COURSE nothing will ever convince you it' didn't. It was your first-person experience.

But to what extent have you ever questioned the reliability of your first-person experience?

We know for a fact that there are specific areas of the brain that do specific things. One of those areas gives you the feeling of being inside your own head.

We can turn off areas of the brain -- drugs can do it bluntly, but trans-cranial magnetic stimulation can do it precisely. If we had access to someone with the right medical equipment, we could hook you up and give you an out-of-body experience today.

Sometimes brains glitch. Sometimes it happens randomly. Sometimes it's when people are under chemical influences, or even just overly tired. Sometimes it happens for specific reasons, like a person being in the initial stages of dying, and the brain -- the first organ affected -- starts to experience the effects first.

But people always interpret brain experiences as external experiences. They say, "I had an out-of-body experience," not "My brain was glitching."

Consider this possibility -- the brain that had an experience, and whose reality-testing concludes that it was real, and whose memory now cements the experience, is the same brain that was glitching at the time.

So yeah, of course nothing will ever convince you otherwise. That's how brains work.

It's not something I dwell on. I know what I experienced. You give reasons that are feasible and may be the reason I experienced what I did. Doesn't matter, whether it real or not doesn't matter, I know it happened and that's it. The reasons aren't important. And I wasn't under the influence of any substance.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 56876
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: UFO’s

LarryCoon wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Save your breath, or in this case, your fingers typing, unless an Alien aircraft lands on the White House lawn on the 6-o'clock news, the hundreds of thousands of UFO reports and the hundreds (maybe thousands) of alien contact reports are not gonna get a fair shake in here...

You'd have a better chance convincing "them" that Trump was a "good" president...(lol) and like you've seen you'll end up with the "mob" piling on you...

Cheers!

LINK: https://ufocasebook.com/


Even after all these years, what you will never understand -- through a combination of wanting it to be true, coupled with a refusal to really understand the reasons -- is that you've gotten an absolutely fair shake in here.

An analogy I've made before about a dozen times with you (so hell, why not another?) is that if a flat-Earther came in here with equivalent arguments, and persisted in those arguments for a decade, they could be saying the same thing as you right now. There is really zero functional difference between your argument and the flat-Earth argument. The number of people who think it's true doesn't matter. All the instances of anomaly hunting in order to say, "See? Explain this!" doesn't matter. They're all easily explained, or if not explained, don't lead to your conclusion anyway.

And people not agreeing with your arguments doesn't mean you're not getting a fair shake. It just means they're bad arguments.

And I know you don't have the tools to understand that. And I also know that you're invested in your narrative, so you will NEVER understand that. So I suspect we'll be having this conversation again.


Play nice LC
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10975

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
It's not something I dwell on. I know what I experienced. You give reasons that are feasible and may be the reason I experienced what I did. Doesn't matter, whether it real or not doesn't matter, I know it happened and that's it. The reasons aren't important. And I wasn't under the influence of any substance.


To be clear, I wasn't suggesting you were under the influence of any substance -- I just listed that as one of many ways the brain CAN glitch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10975

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: UFO’s

jodeke wrote:
Play nice LC


Wasn't an insult. I don't have the chops to compose a concerto, or speak another language fluently. There are acquired skills that everyone who hasn't worked to acquire them doesn't have. Critical thinking ability is one of those skills -- to truly be able to use it to discern what's probably true from what's probably not (and know the extent & limits of "probably") takes time, effort, and a great degree of neuropsychological humility (the recognition of all way ways thinking can go awry, and the realization that the easiest person to fool is yourself).

People don't naturally have great critical thinking ability without a concerted effort to become better at it. it's only a negative attribute when doubles down on their lack of ability.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88711
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject:

Yup, the best way to learn critical thinking is to attack your own beliefs and arguments. When you can no longer BS yourself, you find external BS to be child’s play.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 11238
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: UFO’s

LarryCoon wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Save your breath, or in this case, your fingers typing, unless an Alien aircraft lands on the White House lawn on the 6-o'clock news, the hundreds of thousands of UFO reports and the hundreds (maybe thousands) of alien contact reports are not gonna get a fair shake in here...

You'd have a better chance convincing "them" that Trump was a "good" president...(lol) and like you've seen you'll end up with the "mob" piling on you...

Cheers!

LINK: https://ufocasebook.com/


Even after all these years, what you will never understand -- through a combination of wanting it to be true, coupled with a refusal to really understand the reasons -- is that you've gotten an absolutely fair shake in here.

An analogy I've made before about a dozen times with you (so hell, why not another?) is that if a flat-Earther came in here with equivalent arguments, and persisted in those arguments for a decade, they could be saying the same thing as you right now. There is really zero functional difference between your argument and the flat-Earth argument. The number of people who think it's true doesn't matter. All the instances of anomaly hunting in order to say, "See? Explain this!" doesn't matter. They're all easily explained, or if not explained, don't lead to your conclusion anyway.

And people not agreeing with your arguments doesn't mean you're not getting a fair shake. It just means they're bad arguments.

And I know you don't have the tools to understand that. And I also know that you're invested in your narrative, so you will NEVER understand that. So I suspect we'll be having this conversation again.


Even after all thee years I DO UNDERSTAND (and remember) that you don't believe in UFO's/Aliens and VEHEMENTLY attack those that do (well at least me)!

You can wrap it up in any number of ways to try to put someone else (it doesn't bother me -- really) but there are several FACTS that you will not be able to dispute by searching the internet on hopes of finding someone who supports your position:

1. There have been hundreds of thousands UFO reports over the years.
2. UFO's have been reported in every nation on earth.
3. UFO's have been reported by people across a wide multitude of economic, social, religious and job descriptions (include government, police, etc).

Now, I know you have to have the last word and you have to be right, so go ahead and gimme one more parting shot, and I'll let you win...!
_________________
“Always remember... Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 3111
Location: 921SD

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

reports /= proof
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88711
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

Billions of people all over the world believe in mutually exclusive deities and religions. Most if not all of them have to be wrong. Widespread belief is not really any indicator of truth.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10975

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: UFO’s

unleasHell wrote:
Even after all thee years I DO UNDERSTAND (and remember) that you don't believe in UFO's/Aliens and VEHEMENTLY attack those that do (well at least me)!

You can wrap it up in any number of ways to try to put someone else (it doesn't bother me -- really) but there are several FACTS that you will not be able to dispute by searching the internet on hopes of finding someone who supports your position:

1. There have been hundreds of thousands UFO reports over the years.
2. UFO's have been reported in every nation on earth.
3. UFO's have been reported by people across a wide multitude of economic, social, religious and job descriptions (include government, police, etc).

Now, I know you have to have the last word and you have to be right, so go ahead and gimme one more parting shot, and I'll let you win...!


Sure. Here goes -- the fact that you bring up those three items completely proves my point. But it proves it in a way that you do no, and never will, understand.

Okay, and one last thing -- I don't vehemently attack people because they believe in aliens. On this, and many, many other topics, it isn't the belief, or the position. It's the rhetoric. It happens when a discussion goes like this:

Someone: (claim)
Me: Here's why we have good reason not to think (claim) is true.
Someone: But...(point B)
Me: Here's why we have good reason not to think (point B) is true, and BTW, it wouldn't substantiate (claim) even if it were true.
Someone: You're saying that every (point X) is false, which is obviously wrong!
Me: I never said anything about (point X). I said something about (point B) and why (point B) doesn't imply (claim)
Someone: But...(point C)
Me: Here's why we have good reason not to think (point C) is true, and BTW, it wouldn't substantiate (claim) even if it were true.
Someone: You're saying that every (point Y) is false, which is obviously wrong!
Me: I never said anything about (point Y). I said something about (point B) and why (point B) doesn't imply (claim)
Someone: But...(point B)
Me: Here's why we have good reason not to think (point B) is true, and BTW, it wouldn't substantiate (claim) even if it were true.
Someone: You're saying that every (point X) is false, which is obviously wrong!
Me: I never said anything about (point X). I said something about (point B) and why (point B) doesn't imply (claim)
Someone: But...(point C)
Me: Here's why we have good reason not to think (point C) is true, and BTW, it wouldn't substantiate (claim) even if it were true.
Someone: You're saying that every (point Y) is false, which is obviously wrong!
Me: I never said anything about (point Y). I said something about (point B) and why (point B) doesn't imply (claim)
Someone: But...(point B)
Me: Here's why we have good reason not to think (point B) is true, and BTW, it wouldn't substantiate (claim) even if it were true.
Someone: You're saying that every (point X) is false, which is obviously wrong!
Me: I never said anything about (point X). I said something about (point B) and why (point B) doesn't imply (claim)
Someone: But...(point C)
Me: Here's why we have good reason not to think (point C) is true, and BTW, it wouldn't substantiate (claim) even if it were true.
Someone: You're saying that every (point Y) is false, which is obviously wrong!
Me: I never said anything about (point Y). I said something about (point B) and why (point B) doesn't imply (claim)

(Many iterations later....)

Someone: You just attack anyone who believes (claim)!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48617
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: UFO’s

unleasHell wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Save your breath, or in this case, your fingers typing, unless an Alien aircraft lands on the White House lawn on the 6-o'clock news, the hundreds of thousands of UFO reports and the hundreds (maybe thousands) of alien contact reports are not gonna get a fair shake in here...

You'd have a better chance convincing "them" that Trump was a "good" president...(lol) and like you've seen you'll end up with the "mob" piling on you...

Cheers!

LINK: https://ufocasebook.com/


Even after all these years, what you will never understand -- through a combination of wanting it to be true, coupled with a refusal to really understand the reasons -- is that you've gotten an absolutely fair shake in here.

An analogy I've made before about a dozen times with you (so hell, why not another?) is that if a flat-Earther came in here with equivalent arguments, and persisted in those arguments for a decade, they could be saying the same thing as you right now. There is really zero functional difference between your argument and the flat-Earth argument. The number of people who think it's true doesn't matter. All the instances of anomaly hunting in order to say, "See? Explain this!" doesn't matter. They're all easily explained, or if not explained, don't lead to your conclusion anyway.

And people not agreeing with your arguments doesn't mean you're not getting a fair shake. It just means they're bad arguments.

And I know you don't have the tools to understand that. And I also know that you're invested in your narrative, so you will NEVER understand that. So I suspect we'll be having this conversation again.


Even after all thee years I DO UNDERSTAND (and remember) that you don't believe in UFO's/Aliens and VEHEMENTLY attack those that do (well at least me)!

You can wrap it up in any number of ways to try to put someone else (it doesn't bother me -- really) but there are several FACTS that you will not be able to dispute by searching the internet on hopes of finding someone who supports your position:

1. There have been hundreds of thousands UFO reports over the years.
2. UFO's have been reported in every nation on earth.
3. UFO's have been reported by people across a wide multitude of economic, social, religious and job descriptions (include government, police, etc).

Now, I know you have to have the last word and you have to be right, so go ahead and gimme one more parting shot, and I'll let you win...!


Here’s the thing, no one here disputes that there UFOs and numerous reports of them, some of them more interesting than others. That’s not the point and it is disingenuous of you to try and assert that people are discounting or dismissing the fact that there are reports.

The point is that the leap from the fact that lots of people see things that can’t be easily explained to “it must be alien visitation” is laughably astronomical (pun unintended).

It’s that ridiculous leap that people are discounting because it has no genuine empirical basis. There is absolutely nothing that supports the conclusion that such phenomenon are demonstrable proof of alien visitation. And since you are so inextricably down the rabbit hole of UFO fanaticism, you can’t make the necessary distinction between discussing the existence of unexplained aerial phenomenon and the conclusion it must be alien based that you take it as an attack rather than a reasoned and reasonable criticism of flawed logic.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 56876
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Billions of people all over the world believe in mutually exclusive deities and religions. Most if not all of them have to be wrong. Widespread belief is not really any indicator of truth.


“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.”

― Albert Camus 👼🏾
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48617
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Billions of people all over the world believe in mutually exclusive deities and religions. Most if not all of them have to be wrong. Widespread belief is not really any indicator of truth.


“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.”

― Albert Camus 👼🏾


If God is benevolent, would living your life as if they didn’t exist be problematic?
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now


Last edited by DaMuleRules on Fri May 21, 2021 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88711
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Billions of people all over the world believe in mutually exclusive deities and religions. Most if not all of them have to be wrong. Widespread belief is not really any indicator of truth.


“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.”

― Albert Camus 👼🏾


What if you chose the wrong one?
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 56876
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Billions of people all over the world believe in mutually exclusive deities and religions. Most if not all of them have to be wrong. Widespread belief is not really any indicator of truth.


“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.”

― Albert Camus 👼🏾


If God I’d benevolent, would living your life as if they didn’t exist be problematic?


It would be psychologically. I'd be uncomfortable living as though they didn't exist.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 56876
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Billions of people all over the world believe in mutually exclusive deities and religions. Most if not all of them have to be wrong. Widespread belief is not really any indicator of truth.


“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.”

― Albert Camus 👼🏾


What if you chose the wrong one?

No way to chose the wrong one, there's only one.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB