Computer maintenance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
jodeke wrote:
FB you must have top-of-line virus protection. You're posts indicate you're a Dirty Old Man!

I recently deleted over 300 GB of "videos" . . . and do the online browsing thing, instead.

Online browsing sites have viruses. When you watch them you open the door for your computer to be infected. What antivirus do you use?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject:

I am on a VPN (Windscribe), and I use Panda Dome as my anti-virus.

My VPN has a built-in firewall, which is always on, even when I lose my connection to my ISP (Cox).

I also use an "incognito" window.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject:

How often do any update their drivers and defrag? I have an old computer. Maintenance is a priority.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
How often do any update their drivers and defrag? I have an old computer. Maintenance is a priority.

Do you have an internet security program that can automate that stuff? Norton (not their Antivirus, but like overall internet security programs that do more than antivirus), bitdefender, etc. They usually do that as a default when you install.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Do you have an internet security program that can automate that stuff? Norton (not their Antivirus, but like overall internet security programs that do more than antivirus), bitdefender, etc. They usually do that as a default when you install.

I have scheduled optimization. Drives are analyzed on a scheduled cadence and optimized as needed. Frequency: Weekly. Windows is OK 10% fragmented. System is OK 0% fragmented.

That answers defrag. How often do you update your drivers?

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, but what’s the baud rate on your dialup modem you use to get AOL?
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
focus wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I have scheduled optimization. Drives are analyzed on a scheduled cadence and optimized as needed. Frequency: Weekly. Windows is OK 10% fragmented. System is OK 0% fragmented.

That answers defrag. How often do you update your drivers?
For me, I do NOT automate that, but for my folks I have it done automatically. If I do see a new driver, I look into what it is. If I need/want it, I install fairly soon after the annoyingly frequent notification of new updates (Dell's, not Windows) comes up. Dell notification probably comes about twice a day which is pretty annoying.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:53 am    Post subject:

Latest Linux Mint LTS with Cinnamon DE on a gigabyte AMD board with onboard graphics and a 90 gb SSD to run the OS. No AV no firewall activated no virus ever in over 10 years as Linux user. Media is generally viewed on an Android box attached to a 65" LG Led TV.. Live TV is served by an iptv account. VOD is via Alldebrid thru Kodi on same box. Both can also be ported to my android tablet easily. No virus no maintenence ever unless I get a new TV box or tablet.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:01 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Latest Linux Mint LTS with Cinnamon DE on a gigabyte AMD board with onboard graphics and a 90 gb SSD to run the OS. No AV no firewall activated no virus ever in over 10 years as Linux user. Media is generally viewed on an Android box attached to a 65" LG Led TV.. Live TV is served by an iptv account. VOD is via Alldebrid thru Kodi on same box. Both can also be ported to my android tablet easily. No virus no maintenence ever unless I get a new TV box or tablet.

Linux Mint is definitely a smooth experience. If you have a lot of contact to Windows users and file exchange with them, antivirus would still be recommended. Not for you but for those Windozers...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject:

googled

Are driver updates necessary?

If this is true!

Quote:
You should always make sure that your device drivers are properly updated. Not only will this keep your computer in good operating condition, it can save it from potentially expensive problems down the line. Neglecting device driver updates are a common cause of serious computer problems.

Does updating your drivers do anything?

Quote:
Think of them as free performance boosts. Updating your graphics driver — and updating your other Windows drivers as well — can give you a speed boost, fix problems, and sometimes even provide you with completely new features, all for free.

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
googled

If this is true!

Quote:
You should always make sure that your device drivers are properly updated. Not only will this keep your computer in good operating condition, it can save it from potentially expensive problems down the line. Neglecting device driver updates are a common cause of serious computer problems.

That's an over-reach. It's not like a car,, where if you don't change your oil you'll damage your engine over time. Drivers are usually updated to: 1) Add new functionality; 2) Address compatibility issues; 3) Fix bugs; or 4) Address vulnerabilities. Missing the first doesn't hurt you. Missing the second means it might not work with new hardware or an O/S update. Missing the third means some problem may creep up now or in the future. Missing the fourth means there might be something malware can exploit.

In any case, if something goes wrong, you can still update the drivers when it happens -- again, it's not like a car where you're doing actual damage that can't be fixed by changing the oil when it gets to the shop. The final issue means maybe some malware got onto your system that needs to be eradicated -- which might cost you money if you can't clean it yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
googled

If this is true!

Quote:

That's an over-reach. It's not like a car,, where if you don't change your oil you'll damage your engine over time. Drivers are usually updated to: 1) Add new functionality; 2) Address compatibility issues; 3) Fix bugs; or 4) Address vulnerabilities. Missing the first doesn't hurt you. Missing the second means it might not work with new hardware or an O/S update. Missing the third means some problem may creep up now or in the future. Missing the fourth means there might be something malware can exploit.

In any case, if something goes wrong, you can still update the drivers when it happens -- again, it's not like a car where you're doing actual damage that can't be fixed by changing the oil when it gets to the shop. The final issue means maybe some malware got onto your system that needs to be eradicated -- which might cost you money if you can't clean it yourself.

What I glean from that is it doesn't hurt to update drivers. As I said, I have a refurbished HP. I don't remember when I bought it or how old the refurbished was. I think I paid $270.00 for it. As I remember I bought it about 4 years ago.

I use Avast Cleanup Premium. It does maintenance. I run it once a week. I posted the results in this thread. It also does driver updates and has an anti-virus program.

Since I bought the program my computer has run much faster. I don't play games. I use my machine for news, google, pay bills, and of course LG among other things.

The reason I started this thread was to get ideas about how to maintain an old computer. Thanks for the input guys & girls.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:26 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Linux Mint is definitely a smooth experience. If you have a lot of contact to Windows users and file exchange with them, antivirus would still be recommended. Not for you but for those Windozers...

The reason I started using Linux years ago was because my wife would keep bringing home infected usb sicks and I got tired of digging thru my registry to get out all he virus traces. I could just pop in a USB stick in my Linux box and by viewing hidden files see the virus and delete it.. I grew to love it and have tried many different flavors over the years. I'm about ready to build an Arch install on virtual machine iust to see how lean and mean I can make it wih the few programs I want. Should be interesting
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject:

Not sure if I mentioned this already but I believe quality adblockers have saved me from a ton of potential infections

Firefox is a resource/memory hog but is good enough for me

I immediately install these three add-ons when I install firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblocker-ultimate/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sponsorblock/

If you ever need in private mode you can have these enabled there too.. wait for the 2nd checkbox asking you if you want to install

The last one blocks ads and sponsor ads on youtube videos
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Not sure if I mentioned this already but I believe quality adblockers have saved me from a ton of potential infections

Firefox is a resource/memory hog but is good enough for me

I immediately install these three add-ons when I install firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblocker-ultimate/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sponsorblock/

If you ever need in private mode you can have these enabled there too.. wait for the 2nd checkbox asking you if you want to install

The last one blocks ads and sponsor ads on youtube videos

I use Google Chrome & Ad Blockers.

cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
cathy78 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

The reason I started using Linux years ago was because my wife would keep bringing home infected usb sicks and I got tired of digging thru my registry to get out all he virus traces. I could just pop in a USB stick in my Linux box and by viewing hidden files see the virus and delete it.. I grew to love it and have tried many different flavors over the years. I'm about ready to build an Arch install on virtual machine iust to see how lean and mean I can make it wih the few programs I want. Should be interesting

I would not recommend arch to anyone. It is an intriguing distro but package management including the package managers are a hot mess. Arch is neither lightweight nor highly customizable. You can make any debian just as lightweight and custom as arch. Without the mess. I use Linux since 2000, arch was the worst experience I had in all the years, mandrake a close second at the time...

If you want usability take Mint or some other Ubuntu. If you want "your" system, lightweight, customizable and for learning purposes take Gentoo. I used Gentoo as a daily driver during university since it was the only distro, actualy OS at the time supporting amd64...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Computer maintenance

jodeke wrote:
What are some maintenance tools do you use. I do these things.

1) Clear my browsing history daily.
2) Disc clean up once a week
3) Clean system and junk files once a week
3) Use Avast Cleanup Premium it optimizes, frees space, fixes problems. I run it twice a week.
4) Run CCleaner once a week, the free version.

I have an old refurbished HP, it's about 6 years old. It changes screens in a blink. I think it's because of maintenance. I'd appreciate any ideas that will keep me from having to buy a new machine.

I don't clear browsing history daily anymore.

I just gave my computer a bath. I ran Avast Premium Cleanup, Windows disc, and system cleanup, and Cleaned history. I started with 55.2 used space and cleaned to 41.4 used space. Brenda is running faster. I do this periodically.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Computer maintenance

jodeke wrote:
I ran Avast Premium Cleanup, Windows disc, and system cleanup, and Cleaned history. I started with 55.2 used space and cleaned to 41.4 used space. Brenda is running faster. I do this periodically.

I use CCleaner Professional to get similar results.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Computer maintenance

FernieBee wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I ran Avast Premium Cleanup, Windows disc, and system cleanup, and Cleaned history. I started with 55.2 used space and cleaned to 41.4 used space. Brenda is running faster. I do this periodically.

I use CCleaner Professional to get similar results.

Advertisement
Quote:
Avast Cleanup Premium is a sure winner vs. CCleaner with regards to features and capabilities of utilities. Avast has added features such as Duplicate Finder, Photo Cleaner, and Disk Cleaner. The duplicate finder utility can’t be found in CCleaner which makes it a bummer. Avast surely is ahead of the game in terms of utilities.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject:

What size is your PC monitor? Is 24" too large for a Desktop PC?

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject:

I don't know that there's such a thing as "too large" for a desktop workstation. I use two 27" monitors at 2560x1440 each. I don't use a desktop, per se, I have a dock with the monitors and all the peripherals attached to it, and any laptop can dock to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject:

I replaced my double screen setup with a single 43 inch display. It was fairly low end and a black Friday sale. Now I can have 2 Linux terminals and a doc open at the same time.

I only look at about a third at a time but it is very useful.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject:

My computer kept auto updating changes and shutting off. I got a message "Unable to undo update changes. Don't turn your computer off." It would turn itself off after 6 hours of non use. I finally realized it was in settings. I disabled updates and turned off shut down settings. That was done last night. I'll find out today if the fixes were effective.

EDIT: 10/23. Problems solved. I don't know how the original setting got changed.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: