youtube tv
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: youtube tv

anyone using youtube tv. Thinking about switching. are you able to get laker games? League pass still bans in market games from what I an see.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: youtube tv

rebirth wrote:
anyone using youtube tv. Thinking about switching. are you able to get laker games? League pass still bans in market games from what I an see.

YouTube TV does not support Spectrum Sportsnet.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Just checked my spectrum bill and it’s $142 for internet and TV. I have no movie channels, no cable boxes, and don’t have the sports package. I might be watching the Lakers at the bar next season.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Just checked my spectrum bill and it’s $142 for internet and TV. I have no movie channels, no cable boxes, and don’t have the sports package. I might be watching the Lakers at the bar next season.

It’s crazy how expensive it is. Even something like YouTube TV, which is a nice idea, is still going to run you $73/month for the cheapest bundle.

I hate to ever say anything nice about the Clippers but I love that they offer direct streaming packages for their games. If I want to watch the Lakers I need SportsNet and I can’t get SportsNet without a cable package. Regional deals have been great for putting money in the franchise owner’s pockets but it sucks for the fans. The Dodgers have made the simple act of watching their games nearly impossible.
nateball
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject:

I use it and live in Monterey. Since its the Lakers I find most regular season games are on TNT/ESPN/NBA TV already anyway. Whatever game is not on one of those channels I get from Reddit Streams.

Key is any "good' matchup is pretty much guaranteed to be on one of those channels you get on YT TV.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject:

I have it and am thinking about switching to DirecTV steaming. You can do it without their device, but they don't make it obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject:

YouTube TV shows repeating Little Mermaid ad instead of end of NBA playoff game

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/05/youtube-tv-glitch-interrupts-nba-playoff-game-with-repeating-little-mermaid-ad/
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Sports rights are why your cable fees keep increasing. Somebody has to pay those $50 million dollar contracts.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

When your contract is up (or if you're month-to-month do it now), call Spectrum and tell them you want to cancel service. They will transfer you to their retentation department where they will immediately attempt to incentivize you to stay. See what they offer. You should have a counter offer for a competitor at hand (U-Verse, Cox, etc) at the ready to incentivize them to give you a decent discount. But they will offer you something to get you to stay.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject:

I used to have YouTube TV. The problem with all of these apps as opposed to cable is that the time delay is so long— like a minute. So it’s like the game (or news) pretty much isn’t even live. The time delay is what brought me back to cable. Other than that, I actually prefer YouTube TV’s DVR, streaming ability on mobile devices (Spectrum and Xfinity apps aren’t as good), etc.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

When your contract is up (or if you're month-to-month do it now), call Spectrum and tell them you want to cancel service. They will transfer you to their retentation department where they will immediately attempt to incentivize you to stay. See what they offer. You should have a counter offer for a competitor at hand (U-Verse, Cox, etc) at the ready to incentivize them to give you a decent discount. But they will offer you something to get you to stay.

Thanks, i should do the same. I just paid $179 for basic internet/TV.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

It’s crazy how expensive it is. Even something like YouTube TV, which is a nice idea, is still going to run you $73/month for the cheapest bundle.

I hate to ever say anything nice about the Clippers but I love that they offer direct streaming packages for their games. If I want to watch the Lakers I need SportsNet and I can’t get SportsNet without a cable package. Regional deals have been great for putting money in the franchise owner’s pockets but it sucks for the fans. The Dodgers have made the simple act of watching their games nearly impossible.

And with YouTube TV you still have to pay for internet. I have Direct TV Stream, my package is about $90/ month. Plus $90 for Spectrum internet. But it’s great for camping, if I can get a cell signal I can watch TV, including my DVR. I get Laker and Dodger games with DTVS.

Recently the Las Vegas Golden Knights did the opposite of most franchises, they are going from cable to over the air broadcasts next season.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

And with YouTube TV you still have to pay for internet. I have Direct TV Stream, my package is about $90/ month. Plus $90 for Spectrum internet. But it’s great for camping, if I can get a cell signal I can watch TV, including my DVR. I get Laker and Dodger games with DTVS.

Recently the Las Vegas Golden Knights did the opposite of most franchises, they are going from cable to over the air broadcasts next season.

You are going to see that more often in the future as people cut the cord. The sports teams can no longer rely on the cable/satellite TV model to get their extra revenue. That means putting more games back on free TV or setting up a streaming package with one of the big streamers like Amazon, Disney, Apple etc.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Yearn for the days of Lakers on KCAL again.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:

Watch the first half on tape delay, then go dial in to AOL at halftime to look up the final score. Those were the days.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Watch the first half on tape delay, then go dial in to AOL at halftime to look up the final score. Those were the days.

Games used to not be live?! When was this?

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

I believe for network playoff games the practice of tape delaying games went up to the mid 80's.. But for local broadcasts such as KCAL were tape delayed up until the 90's I remember. Remember those old KCAL broadcasts where they obviously taped interviews with Chick Hearn to fill out the dead period between halftime?
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject:

^Back in the 80s I remember turning on KFWB News 98 the station with the tagline: “in 22 mins we give you the world.” So during afternoon updates, they’d give the live scores of the Laker games when they were on road, thus spoiling the game since KHJ/KCAL wouldn’t tip-off for another hour or two hours or so (tape delay) depending on where they played.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
^Back in the 80s I remember turning on KFWB News 98 the station with the tagline: “in 22 mins we give you the world.” So during afternoon updates, they’d give the live scores of the Laker games when they were on road, thus spoiling the game since KHJ/KCAL wouldn’t tip-off for another hour or two hours or so (tape delay) depending on where they played.

Wait, so by the time you actually got to watch the game during the Showtime era, the final score was already known? What was the fun in watching then?

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

I’m not sure when they stopped. But at least up until the 2001 season, any tip off before 5:30pm was delayed until 5:30. I started watching every game after the 2000 playoffs.

Edit: This VCS article says they are going live in 2008. LINK
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I think it was mostly for games in the eastern time zone since the games would start at 4:30pm which was not a good time for ratings on the weekday.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I think it was mostly for games in the eastern time zone since the games would start at 4:30pm which was not a good time for ratings on the weekday.

Correct. Some of the central time zone games as well, if I recall correctly the Lakers vs Chicago/Michael Jordan games began airing at least an hour after tip.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Wait, so by the time you actually got to watch the game during the Showtime era, the final score was already known? What was the fun in watching then?

Only during times when I needed traffic reports, the local radio station had live traffic reports and sports scores in their updates so it was unavoidable. Win or lose, we made it a point to catch Laker games on free tv whenever possible.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I pay $89.67 for the Internet, and $29.99 for mobile. I switched from their TV package because it was not very good. I got a lot of pixels and downtime. I get SPECTRUM SPORTSNET so I get Lakers games.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

i tried to go stream only, only keeping the Spectrum internet, but they always told me it'll only save me $30 a month, might as well keep it. ugggggg.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: