LakersGround.net 20th anniversary celebration and memories thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
This is just going off of my memory but what I remember of Sky was he was insistent that Dr. Buss would never go over 100 mill in payroll ( this was during the days when there was serious discussion on these forums if LO was worth keeping around). Of course Dr. Buss did and Sky, soon after just stopped posting. He was very knowledgeable poster and I loved his posts but apparently he was also kinda egotistical. I think he got a ton a (bleep) from other people for being wrong and just stopped posting.

That's consistent with my recollection, though it was a long time ago. I remember that he had really thin skin. I just looked it up, and the last time he posted here was in the thread about Mitch Kupchak in the summer of 2010.

While I was there, I looked up VLF. His last post was the day before Thanksgiving. Up to that point, he was posting just like he always did. Hopefully, he just decided to take a break from message boards on Thanksgiving Day.
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
20 years, the rise and fall of JD, the banishment of Sky, the inside info of Lionel the Laker, the draft day rumor of Emplay, LG has had a special place in our hearts. Happy anniversary

Could you please elaborate for those of use that are very curious but dont know what you are talking about?

If my memory serves me Sky stopped posting after he made a wager with another poster on the number of wins by the Lakers in a season. They bet their accounts. Sky won the bet and the other poster welched on his bet after some posters said oh "please don't leave". The loser still posts on this forum to this day and is "well respected" by some . Shortly thereafter Sky stopped posting.

That sounds familiar. There was a Sp*r* fan who used to post here who welched on a bet with me on the Lakers/Sp*r* WCF Series in 2002. IIRC, he was supposed to change his sig to "The Lakers are the classiest franchise in sports" or something like that.

Guys, refresh my memory, but didn't Sky make a few posts later at some point in time after being away? Then went missing again.
Anyways, he was a great basketball mind, often made me re-watch clips to understand the game better, kinda like Mike and DB do.

Sky was always threatening to stop posting-I can remember at least two hiatuses in his posting after fits of pique -there were just certain things he absolutely could not believe anyone could disagree with. Loved his posts though - he wrote at length, clearly and had a real POV. Especially about prospects we never seemed to draft 😂

In case anyone is wondering (doubtful since I’m a hardcore lurker and post make only cameo appearances as a poster) I came here from LT-my join date here would have been earlier even, except I didn’t actually take the time to sign up until something annoyed me so much I just had to comment🤗
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

Gepetto wrote:

In case anyone is wondering (doubtful since I’m a hardcore lurker and post make only cameo appearances as a poster) I came here from LT-my join date here would have been earlier even, except I didn’t actually take the time to sign up until something annoyed me so much I just had to comment🤗

Likewise, I was an asbnll lurker for many, many years before creating an account here.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject:

I can't remember exactly how long I've been lurking this site. It was 2002 I first chose the name "loseyourname" for some site I can't remember because it rhymed with "username" and I had to pick something, and that ended up being my username on physicsforums.com, which still exists somehow, and OkCupid when it first came out, but that wasn't until 2004, and then I finally signed up for an account at LG shortly after the Shaq trade, though I still mostly lurk and don't post much, largely because I browse the Internet with a lot of features disabled and LG is one of the few places that still lets you see everything without logging in, so most of the time I'm not logged in.

But it's weird, because I read this place daily and feel like I know almost all of you, but nobody knows me because I post so little. I was still in college at Sonoma State when I signed up and have lived in Long Beach, Oklahoma, Nevada, Kentucky, currently in Texas. I joined the Army and have long since left. I've had three wives, multiple spinal fusions. I was in the Army recon course when the Lakers played the Mavs in 2011 and thought the instructors were trolling me when they said the Lakers were swept while I was in the field the whole time.

This place unfortunately went way downhill in the ensuing years, the only truly dark years the franchise ever had. Much more negativity than there had ever been. Up to that point, after being born in 1980, the Lakers had averaged a finals appearance every other year for my entire life.

I appreciate that this site has stayed so simple. I work in software and have seen so many trends come and go over the decades, with everyone now using infinite scroll, third party identity providers, Facebook integration, bloated JavaScript frameworks, native mobile apps, and here is LG with a product that works just keeping it the way it is, a simple LAMP stack running on phpBB for 20 years. Only feature I can ever remember being added is more emoticons. Keep it simple. Keep it great. Fan communities and the hobbyist Internet is still the Internet as it was supposed to be.
pokoy

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject:

I remember this place when I was the biggest pessimist around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
zeroakuma
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

Also part of lg’s history were two people that actually got jobs with the lakers or with the nba right? There used to be two folks who made videos or recap videos on lg; a poster had the best recaps in HD and I loved his videos. There was another poster who made fan videos of players and he eventually got a job with the lakers or with a nba team. Wasn’t there also a stats guy here that got a job with ESPN? Also doesn’t epsn folks frequent the website here?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

zeroakuma wrote:
Also part of lg’s history were two people that actually got jobs with the lakers or with the nba right? There used to be two folks who made videos or recap videos on lg; a poster had the best recaps in HD and I loved his videos. There was another poster who made fan videos of players and he eventually got a job with the lakers or with a nba team. Wasn’t there also a stats guy here that got a job with ESPN? Also doesn’t epsn folks frequent the website here?

revgen, to this day, holds the title for highest quality NBA uploads I've ever seen. He used to post .mkv files that were 1 or 2 gb in size. He even went out of his way to send DVDs of Kobe's 81 game to anyone who requested a copy, all out of his own pocket.

Lakers Dynasty 2000 got hired as a media guy

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
michaelg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject:

I’ve been mostly lurking and once in a while posting since the Rivals days before LG.net. Crazy it’s been 20 years. I used to rock an LG.net t-shirt that I bought off Jason back when he was fundraising in 2002. That shirt was worn out and retired so long ago I don’t even remember what happened to it. I’ve been reading DB’s write ups pretty much every game since he started, thanks DB! And after wins, I would religiously watch ChaChookaman’s highlights (miss those for sure). I love the format of the site and always have, with the one bummer being when it changed to all the “OFFICIAL” threads. I miss when there were lots of topics to browse and create if you had something specific to point out and discuss involving a player. Yet, I understand why the “OFFICIAL” threads were needed when all the thread merging the mods were doing just became too much.

The site is great because of Jason, DB and all the mods. And a lot of you are very insightful and knowledgeable about basketball (even through all the noise and pettiness). Thank you all for keeping the site such a great place to be. I’d be happy to buy another shirt DB.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

When I read posts from long time posters it takes me back to 05, when I joined, the posters who played a lot of ball themselves and articulated their viewpoints and opinions well were really enjoyable to read.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:

I've been around since the beginning as well. The internet has evolved in the ensuing decades (it's trash now IMO), but LG is still better than r/NBA and nba twitter, despite using an antiquated forum framework. Sometimes, a good ol' fashioned forum is the best way to convey thoughts. On reddit, it's always the most popular comments that get upvoted. There are more substantive discussions on forums like lg, realgm, insidehoops or ign bball board than anywhere else on the net, because they don't reward stupidity or horrible takes with likes, upvotes or retweets.
Black Sheep
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

I was 12 when I joined. Now 30.. yikes

Probably another 8 years until I finally hit 1k posts
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

wow ill have been on here 20 years in a month dont know if i should be happy or depressed
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
wow ill have been on here 20 years in a month dont know if i should be happy or depressed

depressed that you're not dead?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
20 years, the rise and fall of JD, the banishment of Sky, the inside info of Lionel the Laker, the draft day rumor of Emplay, LG has had a special place in our hearts. Happy anniversary

OMG the memories... my favorite was all the Kobe vs Shaq "discussions", in the middle of the 3peat.

special mention, was how Rudy T proved to be so much ahead of his time... when had the team shooting "too many" 3s, and LG was up in arms complaining how boneheaded that was... but look at the NBA now. LOL
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

postandpivot was legendary. His Kobe 1v1 post was legendary.
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

Man I feel old. This is my 2nd account - been here since 2001.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
postandpivot was legendary. His Kobe 1v1 post was legendary.

What was his schtick again? I remember him having a habit that got called out all the time and I remember myself doing it, but I forgot what he did. I vaguely recall he would take one stance and then pretend he didn't while he adopted a new stance that better fit the goings-on in Lakerland. Anyone?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Black Sheep wrote:
I was 12 when I joined. Now 30.. yikes

Probably another 8 years until I finally hit 1k posts

30? Sure, rub it in!
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Gepetto wrote:

Likewise, I was an asbnll lurker for many, many years before creating an account here.

Same I found LG during the Kobe trial. Boy were those hectic times..especially when you’re 13 and can’t really process what had just happened to your hero. Glad I found this place and could see that others felt the same pain I did that year. I could never sign up because LG had this weird rule where it wouldn’t let me use my gmail account. Am I wrong about this? It used to ask you to register with a non mainstream email account IIRC and I had to beg my dad to let me use his work email. I hope I’m not making this up or maybe it was a different forum or maybe I’m just old and slow now.

Anyways I hardly post now unless it’s being pessimistic about our chances (again I’m old give me a break) or if it’s in the Dodgers thread. Ever since Kobe died a part of my laker love has died. It will take time..I just kind of don’t care for the NBA anymore. It’s weird. Anyways just wanted to thank these posters for everything they’ve done and I’m sure I’m forgetting a few but:

JD (my fav mod even though he was clearly nuts. I used to agree with everything he used to say so I loved him.
DB (I could literally type an essay about DB but some people are beyond words)
LD2k (I used to watch his cool videos all the time)
Cachooka Man (best highlight man in the game)
Sky (absolute genius. Kind of glad I never saw or witnessed his “bad” side of whtever..to be honest I had no idea why he stopped)
MikeLG (man was he awesome during those key draft years ..like the Bynum year..and he’s still amazing)
Hoopschick29 (always had great insight and loved how she would just absolutely (bleep) on trolls/noobs who had no idea what they were talking about)
WolfpackLaker (there was a time where this dude would not stfu. Great posts in almost every thread. Was a machine. Salute.)
VLF (I hated you and as I grew older I hated you more. But I miss you and you were and are necessary..I can’t believe I just said this)

Many many more to mention that I can’t remember.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

It was the summer of 2006 and I’m at a TGIF Friday’s in Cerritos with my buddy Gary and Vladimir slamming down Patron shots and Cadillac margaritas talking Lakers.

Gary who’s really good friends with the architect and owner of LG.net tells me the Lakers are done since we traded Shaq away and Dwyane Wade is just as good as Kobe 😤😤😤😤😤😤

I go on this huge rant with multiple reasons why he is not leading to a bunch of other random strangers who were in that patio with us that night supporting me. It really became a How I Met Your Mother situation where we had a nice group of people where we were able to conduct random polling 😂🤣😂
“By a Show Of Hands” 🙋🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏿‍♂️🙋🏿‍♀️🙋🏽‍♂️🙋🏽‍♀️🙋🏼‍♂️🙋🏼‍♀️🙋‍♂️🙋‍♀️

After a ton of laughs Gary told me to check out this video which was called , Kobe Bryant “CHECK THE HATE” volume 1. YouTube before HD was a thing.

Changed my world as it Lead me right to LG.
Fast forward 15 years and 3 Championships later and counting 🙏🏀🙏🏀🙏💛💜💛💜💛
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
Gepetto wrote:

Same I found LG during the Kobe trial. Boy were those hectic times..especially when you’re 13 and can’t really process what had just happened to your hero. Glad I found this place and could see that others felt the same pain I did that year. I could never sign up because LG had this weird rule where it wouldn’t let me use my gmail account. Am I wrong about this? It used to ask you to register with a non mainstream email account IIRC and I had to beg my dad to let me use his work email. I hope I’m not making this up or maybe it was a different forum or maybe I’m just old and slow now.

Anyways I hardly post now unless it’s being pessimistic about our chances (again I’m old give me a break) or if it’s in the Dodgers thread. Ever since Kobe died a part of my laker love has died. It will take time..I just kind of don’t care for the NBA anymore. It’s weird. Anyways just wanted to thank these posters for everything they’ve done and I’m sure I’m forgetting a few but:

JD (my fav mod even though he was clearly nuts. I used to agree with everything he used to say so I loved him.
DB (I could literally type an essay about DB but some people are beyond words)
LD2k (I used to watch his cool videos all the time)
Cachooka Man (best highlight man in the game)
Sky (absolute genius. Kind of glad I never saw or witnessed his “bad” side of whtever..to be honest I had no idea why he stopped)
MikeLG (man was he awesome during those key draft years ..like the Bynum year..and he’s still amazing)
Hoopschick29 (always had great insight and loved how she would just absolutely (bleep) on trolls/noobs who had no idea what they were talking about)
WolfpackLaker (there was a time where this dude would not stfu. Great posts in almost every thread. Was a machine. Salute.)
VLF (I hated you and as I grew older I hated you more. But I miss you and you were and are necessary..I can’t believe I just said this)

Many many more to mention that I can’t remember.

Appreciate the props for myself and other members and staff.

Really, can't get over the times when LAL chose from basically my top 3 lists those draft years, those guys turned out. Hope it continues, because when they didn't in 2018, it was costly.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I just noticed this thread. I came here from an AOL Lakers board. I think it's now debunked. You guys can blame Aeneas Hunter for my being here, he introduced me to the site. It took about a week to be accepted. I must have been doing something wrong.

I love the pages not being cluttered by self-aggrandizing space-taking photos. The variety of forums leaves little to be desired. The addition of the Political Thread was great. It got me thinking about politics. I've learned a lot there.

I miss PnP and LuxuyBrown.

LG is by far the best all-around forum on the net. It doesn't seem like 14 years.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I just noticed this thread. I came here from an AOL Lakers board. I think it's now debunked. You guys can blame Aeneas Hunter for my being here, he introduced me to the site. It took about a week to be accepted. I must have been doing something wrong.

Ah, what a horrible place that was.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject:

I recall when I joined, it was great in that I had found a place with many insiders that always had the inside scoop on what the Lakers were about to do in the offseason. Of course, almost none of it was ever true but it was fun in a way. It was very different then compared to now....not better or worse, just different.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject:

According to my profile, I joined in 2005. That's 16 out of the 20 years I've been hanging around here. LG has gotten me through a divorce, my kids growing up, and several other life milestones. Tales of the olden days are akin to Greek mythology and upon reflection, my moral character has definitely deteriorated over that time.

Here's to 20 more years. I can only hope I haven't slipped into total dementia by then.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: