"We Gave Away A Decade Worth of Talent for AD"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:
Wish we could have a poll asking if you would rather have:

1 championship and 9 years of no playoffs

Or

0 championships and 10 years of playoffs

Would love to see the results..

Can you explain the logic behind the 2 scenarios? Or was it a typo?
How are we at 1 ring and 9 missed playoffs for scenario 1, but scenario 2 has 0 rings but 10 years of playoffs?

We missed the playoffs since 2013-14 through 2018-19 (6 years).
Finally made it in 2019-20.
Missed the following 2 years.
So in those years, we missed the playoffs 8 times, made 1 and won a ring.

Let's say we didn't do the trade. And by some miracle we made the playoffs the last 3 years. I doubt that would be the case, but for argument's sake lets pretend they did. It would be:

1 championship with 8 missed playoffs, 1 made playoffs.

vs

0 championship with 6 missed playoffs, 3 made playoffs.

The choice would be easy imo. Scenario 1.
... After re-reading, are you just asking a general question? If so, my bad. Interesting question. I'm on the fence.
Yes, just a general question. The point of it being basically - how valuable is a championship to you - would you trade 1 championship for 9 years of mediocrity? Or do you just want to be competitive and in the hunt but never win a ring? Teams have gone decades without a title, and I know "we are the Lakers", but still - a championship is not given. And we got one less than 2 years ago even though we traded away our "youth". Seems like a pretty nice tradeoff, one we came out ahead of given the 2020 ring.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:

<snip>
Yes, just a general question. The point of it being basically - how valuable is a championship to you - would you trade 1 championship for 9 years of mediocrity? Or do you just want to be competitive and in the hunt but never win a ring? Teams have gone decades without a title, and I know "we are the Lakers", but still - a championship is not given. And we got one less than 2 years ago even though we traded away our "youth". Seems like a pretty nice tradeoff, one we came out ahead of given the 2020 ring.

A very interesting question indeed, different people will have different thresholds, but I do wonder where most will draw the line. How about a poll:
1 championship is acceptable as long as NO MORE THAN 2 or 3 or 5 or 7 or 10 or 15 years out of the playoffs?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject:

Thinking about it, another way to put it might be, in the last 10 years, would you rather have had the Lakers squad or the Clippers squad?

1 ring and poor teams vs 0 ring and good teams.
šŸ’œšŸ’› šŸ† šŸ‘€ šŸ– #18!!!
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

The same people who are so confident they are right, are using the bubble title to justify what has become an unwatchable product. Saying this over and over like a mantra repeating it... like somehow if they say it enough times it will become true.

It doesn't take a genius to see we are less entertaining to watch than the Warriors, or Miami, or Boston, or Dallas.

If you could switch jerseys with any of these teams... you'd really rather have our team than these others?

I'd be happy right now if we had any of these four teams on the Lakers instead... I'd be happy having any team with some young players and draft picks.

As I've said, I've followed the team since I was a young child... and I was never this unhappy during Elmore Smith years, the Adrian Dantley years, the Elden Campbell years, the Smush Parker years, and the long dry spell with the head of the snake and the kids.

Why? Because we didn't have an egomaniac running the team into the ground without any check and balances. We've had other great stars with egos... but the front office still kept them from completely ruining the franchise. This time Magic and Jeanie allowed the fox into the henhouse to run his own private franchise and decimate our future for his own personal time frame and interests.

If you guys find it fun to watch... that is your business... not everyone has to think the same. I enjoyed watching the team improve and think it's bullsh*t that we wouldn't have made the playoffs with LBJ, another elite signing and the young kids who could have been any combination of BI, Lonzo, Garland, Desmond Bane, Josh Hart, Kuzma... whatever young players we could have kept and drafted over the last few years.

These people say... oh we were on a path where we'd never recover... that is nonsense... we had some good talented young wings with length... we had all our draft picks and two max slots.

Instead we let an amateur GM run the show with our figurehead GM and trade everything for an injured player and a talented but inefficient bullheaded player who doesn't fit with our own superstar.

If you think this is worth it, that is your right... but don't act like those of us who don't like it are crazy either.

I didn't complain for fifty years... I have no agenda other than to see our team run by someone other than Klutch and LBJ.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:
Wish we could have a poll asking if you would rather have:

1 championship and 9 years of no playoffs

Or

0 championships and 10 years of playoffs

Would love to see the results..

Can you explain the logic behind the 2 scenarios? Or was it a typo?
How are we at 1 ring and 9 missed playoffs for scenario 1, but scenario 2 has 0 rings but 10 years of playoffs?

We missed the playoffs since 2013-14 through 2018-19 (6 years).
Finally made it in 2019-20.
Missed the following 2 years.
So in those years, we missed the playoffs 8 times, made 1 and won a ring.

Let's say we didn't do the trade. And by some miracle we made the playoffs the last 3 years. I doubt that would be the case, but for argument's sake lets pretend they did. It would be:

1 championship with 8 missed playoffs, 1 made playoffs.

vs

0 championship with 6 missed playoffs, 3 made playoffs.

The choice would be easy imo. Scenario 1.
... After re-reading, are you just asking a general question? If so, my bad. Interesting question. I'm on the fence.

You won't find people who would trade back the ring for a string of second-round losses. If you could know with absolute certainty that would be the outcome, it's a no-brainer.

But we don't know that. And people don't think about this matter in that way.

The opinion that the AD trade was bad is typically based on the belief/assumption/hope that if we had kept the young players we would have won as many or more rings.

That is really the crux of the argument, not the number of playoff appearances.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject:

@BILBJH, are you one of the few that would give up the ring if it meant not having Lebron on the Lakers?
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
@BILBJH, are you one of the few that would give up the ring if it meant not having Lebron on the Lakers?

I've always admired LBJ the player.

If we had LBJ with strong management... I'd be fine with him.

Since we don't... yes I'd give up the title if it meant getting a better management.

And I give Jeanie and Rob zero credit for this title. I do credit LBJ for singlehandedly earning that chip.

But for me it just isn't worth watching this terrible team.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:

<snip>

A very interesting question indeed, different people will have different thresholds, but I do wonder where most will draw the line. How about a poll:
1 championship is acceptable as long as NO MORE THAN 2 or 3 or 5 or 7 or 10 or 15 years out of the playoffs?

The question is too abstract. You need to experience those years of futility before you can judge it. Here's a concrete way of expressing the question: We missed the playoffs for six years in a row, then won a title in 2020. Was the title valuable enough to make this acceptable to you as a fan?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
epic_ wrote:

I've always admired LBJ the player.

If we had LBJ with strong management... I'd be fine with him.

Since we don't... yes I'd give up the title if it meant getting a better management.

And I give Jeanie and Rob zero credit for this title. I do credit LBJ for singlehandedly earning that chip.

But for me it just isn't worth watching this terrible team.

Got it. That is a take I don't hear often.
Thanks.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:

<snip>

The question is too abstract. You need to experience those years of futility before you can judge it. Here's a concrete way of expressing the question: We missed the playoffs for six years in a row, then won a title in 2020. Was the title valuable enough to make this acceptable to you as a fan?

Fair point. I have a feeling that the majority will say Yes when the question is phrased that way, but then nothing beats actual data.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:17 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
The same people who are so confident they are right, are using the bubble title to justify what has become an unwatchable product. Saying this over and over like a mantra repeating it... like somehow if they say it enough times it will become true.

It doesn't take a genius to see we are less entertaining to watch than the Warriors, or Miami, or Boston, or Dallas.

If you could switch jerseys with any of these teams... you'd really rather have our team than these others?

I'd be happy right now if we had any of these four teams on the Lakers instead... I'd be happy having any team with some young players and draft picks.

As I've said, I've followed the team since I was a young child... and I was never this unhappy during Elmore Smith years, the Adrian Dantley years, the Elden Campbell years, the Smush Parker years, and the long dry spell with the head of the snake and the kids.

Why? Because we didn't have an egomaniac running the team into the ground without any check and balances. We've had other great stars with egos... but the front office still kept them from completely ruining the franchise. This time Magic and Jeanie allowed the fox into the henhouse to run his own private franchise and decimate our future for his own personal time frame and interests.

If you guys find it fun to watch... that is your business... not everyone has to think the same. I enjoyed watching the team improve and think it's bullsh*t that we wouldn't have made the playoffs with LBJ, another elite signing and the young kids who could have been any combination of BI, Lonzo, Garland, Desmond Bane, Josh Hart, Kuzma... whatever young players we could have kept and drafted over the last few years.

These people say... oh we were on a path where we'd never recover... that is nonsense... we had some good talented young wings with length... we had all our draft picks and two max slots.

Instead we let an amateur GM run the show with our figurehead GM and trade everything for an injured player and a talented but inefficient bullheaded player who doesn't fit with our own superstar.

If you think this is worth it, that is your right... but don't act like those of us who don't like it are crazy either.

I didn't complain for fifty years... I have no agenda other than to see our team run by someone other than Klutch and LBJ.

I appreciate you posting something I completely identify with. For the first time, I donā€™t look forward to next year or beyond because the mortgaged future is something that 1 or 2 eventual draft picks arenā€™t likely to fix. It took 5 or 6 years of top picks to have a little hope, but they still werenā€™t ready. Scouring the G league will never produce the kind of quality talent that was squandered and is set to pay dividends for other teams for years to come. Iā€™m extremely bitter that my desire was misrepresented and summed up by claims that fans only care about rings. I enjoyed potentially getting better each year and Iā€™m sickened by knowing Iā€™m expected to hope for a bunch of undrafted G league players and other castoffs to be team leaders in the future. Iā€™ve followed the team as long as you have and itā€™s never been this hopeless, Iā€™d say in team history.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:42 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

The opinion that the AD trade was bad is typically based on the belief/assumption/hope that if we had kept the young players we would have won as many or more rings.

In my opinion, thatā€™s a very lazy way of summarizing what really happened because it softens the devastating reality.

3 young players were traded for AD + 4 draft picks.
2 valuable players for Schroeder + a pick
3 valuable players for Westbrook + a pick.
Caruso was allowed to leave.

6 1st rd picks (2nd rd gone this year also due toā€¦.?)
5 young players
KCP, Javale, Green

Lakersā€™ā€™ key pieces could have strategically been retained as the Celtics have done with mostly home grown players. Add draft picks to that talent (Garland? Bane?+?,?,?,?), and that exciting young team had even greater potential after adding key pieces. Undervalued vets who were basically given away would have made a difference also.

They sold out for Lebronā€™s timetable.

As I watch the Celtics, being tied in total rings could be a very temporary thing. If they win a ring this year, theyā€™ll stay ahead for many years to come, and could win even more in the future with the young squad they kept in tact. I donā€™t expect the Lakers to compete for a ring in the next 10 years. Iā€™d gladly undo that trade and stay the course as Boston did.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject:

How do you know if the Lakers canā€™t win a ring for the next 10 years? šŸ˜†
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

That's a useful contribution to the discussion.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That's a useful contribution to the discussion.

As much as the notion that one can predict 0 rings in 10 years. Why not call that out?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject:

I donā€™t have any problem with the AD trade (I didnā€™t like how they handled some assets around that time but the trade itself was a win). I dislike the Westbrook trade. That was the waste of assets. And letting Caruso walk just because. If we had returned the guts of last years team minus Schroder and brought in Monk, the team probably is in the mix because it can defend and has enough scoring punch.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I /we all saw how long it took them to collect players like Randle, Nance, Clarkson, Dlo, Zubac, Ingram, Lonzo, Hart, Kuzma, Caruso, Bryant, Bonga, and where it got them (no playoffs). Do you believe that scouring the G league for Wenyan Gabriel and Stanley Johnson types are going to return the team to glory when all those picks collectively didnā€™t add up to making the playoffs?

Thatā€™s a 12 man squad worth of players, and now Iā€™m supposed to believe that a pick or 2 in the future will get us back to championship level?

So when they are able to start drafting their own players again, how many picks will they need to return the team to glory without Lebron? 1 pick + AD isnā€™t going to do it. Will 2 picks down the line put us in line for a ring with an aging, often injured AD, if heā€™s still here?

I think I should be the one laughing.

Last edited by lakersboy on Sat May 28, 2022 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I /we all saw how long it took them to collect players like Randle, Nance, Clarkson, Dlo, Zubac, Ingram, Lonzo, Hart, Kuzma, Caruso, Bryant, Bonga, and where it got them (no playoffs). Do you believe that scouring the G league for Wenyan Gabriel and Stanley Johnson types are going to return the team to glory when all those picks collectively didnā€™t add up to making the playoffs?

So when they are able to start drafting their own players again, how many picks will they need to return the team to glory without Lebron? 1 pick + AD isnā€™t going to do it. Will 2 picks down the line put us in line for a ring?

There is no way you can say with any degree of certainty that the Celtics have a 10 year championship window or that the lakers are guaranteed not to win a ring in 10 years. That is an eternity. At best you can project maybe 2-3 years down the line, and the Lakers volatility is due to the fact they will likely be looking to get 3 max players again even when LBJ/AD leave. Too much uncertainty to say we have no chance for 10 years. Plus we have 2 picks in the next 3 years and then all our picks thereafter anyways if they go that route (doubtful).
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

27 year old Marcus Smart --> 10 years --> 37 year old Marcus Smart
25 year old Jalen Brown --> 10 years --> 35 year old Jalen Brown
23 year old Jayson Tatum --> 10 years --> 33 year old Jayson Tatum
24 year old Robert Williams --> 10 years --> 34 year old Robert Williams
35 year old Al Horford

24 year old Payton Pritchard --> 10 years --> 34 year old Payton Pritchard
22 year old Aaron Nesmith --> 10 years --> 32 year old Aaron Nesmith
27 year old Derrick White --> 10 years --> 37 year old Derrick White
23 year old Grant Williams --> 10 years --> 33 year old Grant Williams

Marcus Smart will need Chris Paul longevity. The young core of Jayson Tatum, Jalen Brown, Robert Williams? That core could last 10 years. Grant Williams as a 10 year role player? I could see that. Al Horfod needs to be replaced in free agency. Payton Pritchard, Aaron Nesmith, Derrick White could be replaced through the draft.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat May 28, 2022 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So when they are able to start drafting their own players again, how many picks will they need to return the team to glory without Lebron? 1 pick + AD isnā€™t going to do it. Will 2 picks down the line put us in line for a ring?

There is no way you can say with any degree of certainty that the Celtics have a 10 year championship window or that the lakers are guaranteed not to win a ring in 10 years. That is an eternity. At best you can project maybe 2-3 years down the line, and the Lakers volatility is due to the fact they will likely be looking to get 3 max players again even when LBJ/AD leave. Too much uncertainty to say we have no chance for 10 years. Plus we have 2 picks in the next 3 years and then all our picks thereafter anyways if they go that route (doubtful).

You somehow interpreted my saying I donā€™t expect the Lakers to win for the next 10 years, as if it meant I was saying the Celtics have a 10 yr window. Below is a quote of what I actually said:
ā€œIf they win a ring this year, theyā€™ll stay ahead for many years to come, and could win even more in the future with the young squad they kept in tact.ā€œ

As for the planning to sign 3 max players, the Lakers for a long time plan to sign stars like Yao Ming, Lamarcus Aldridge, Paul George, & AD, but most of the time it doesnā€™t work out. Some didnā€™t want to come, others were impatient and expected to be traded for. Now suddenly weā€™re supposed to expect that 3 as of yet unknown players are going to want to come here AND not be impatient to come here as the others were? And if that happened, what established quality players will there be to build on?

Sorry, I donā€™t buy the logic. And youā€™re comparing 2 or 3 picks and some in the future to the same value of what a full squad of 12 picks couldnā€™t do. Nothing you said instills confidence that the Lakers can do what you say their plan is. Since they began signing free agents in the 70ā€™s, theyā€™ve rarely added top tier free agents, never were able to add 2 in a short period, and now I should expect theyā€™ll gain 3? What you want me to believe sounds extremely far fetched and unbelievable. Pipe dreams like that got Jim Buss & Mitch Kupchak fired.

Last edited by lakersboy on Sat May 28, 2022 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject:

Which is why the championship was absolutely worth it. No guarantees a team wins one. Iā€™m not sure about the Lakers future but neither are you. They could be poor or they could be lucky and grab 2-3 max FAs that work out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
27 year old Marcus Smart --> 10 years --> 37 year old Marcus Smart
25 year old Jalen Brown --> 10 years --> 35 year old Jalen Brown
23 year old Jayson Tatum --> 10 years --> 33 year old Jayson Tatum
24 year old Robert Williams --> 10 years --> 34 year old Robert Williams
35 year old Al Horford

24 year old Payton Pritchard --> 10 years --> 34 year old Payton Pritchard
22 year old Aaron Nesmith --> 10 years --> 32 year old Aaron Nesmith
27 year old Derrick White --> 10 years --> 37 year old Derrick White
23 year old Grant Williams --> 10 years --> 33 year old Grant Williams

Marcus Smart will need Chris Paul longevity. The young core of Jayson Tatum, Jalen Brown, Robert Williams? That core could last 10 years. Grant Williams as a 10 year role player? I could see that. Al Horfod needs to be replaced in free agency. Payton Pritchard, Aaron Nesmith, Derrick White could be replaced through the draft.

Basketball longevity isnā€™t guaranteed. They have some injury prone players too like Williams. And then they have to start paying some of these guys like Grant so there could be some movement too.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Which is why the championship was absolutely worth it. No guarantees a team wins one. Iā€™m not sure about the Lakers future but neither are you. They could be poor or they could be lucky and grab 2-3 max FAs that work out.

Worth it to you and now the cupboard is bare. Not worth it to me because the cupboard could have been well stocked with hope that any one guy could have come in and been a long term difference maker, like AD was that 1 year. Last year predictably didnā€™t work out and was terrible to watch. Thereā€™s no reason to project this year will be any different. Any new players coming as Lebron gets older and plays less defense is not likely to make a difference. Is AD going to be less injury prone?

As I previously said, you can count on 1 hand how many top tier free agents the Lakers have ever signed. We all sat around and waited for Jim to bring in promised free agents year after year, and eventually when it wasnā€™t believable, he was fired. Iā€™m not falling for the ā€œweā€™re going to sign 3 top guys.ā€ Theyā€™ll be doing good if they get 1 who still has a bright future. Adding 3 top f/aā€™s hasnā€™t ever been done by the Lakers and as I think about it, I doubt anyone else has either.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Worth it to you and now the cupboard is bare. Not worth it to me because the cupboard could have been well stocked with hope that any one guy could have come in and been a long term difference maker, like AD was that 1 year.

As I previously said, you can count on 1 hand how many top tier free agents the Lakers have ever signed. We all sat around and waited for Jim to bring in promised free agents year after year, and eventually when it wasnā€™t believable, he was fired. Iā€™m not falling for the ā€œweā€™re going to sign 3 top guys.ā€ Theyā€™ll be doing good if they get 1 who still has a bright future. Adding 3 top f/aā€™s hasnā€™t ever been done by the Lakers and as I think about it, I doubt anyone else has either.

You assume the YUTES would have been a championship team. I donā€™t think they were. And guess what, they would have needed a massive injection of top level talent via FA/trade anyways to get to the top. So your FA argument applies there too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Considering that they have gotten two max FAs in 22 years, expecting differently for a management group that most in the NBA laugh at is very optimistic. We actually got one max FA in his prime 26 years ago, that is hardly a sustainable plan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 38 of 42
Jump to: