THE LAKERS HAVE MISSED THE PLAYOFFS 12 TIMES IN FRANCHISE HISTORY

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: THE LAKERS HAVE MISSED THE PLAYOFFS 12 TIMES IN FRANCHISE HISTORY

1958 (19-53) #1 pick Elgin Baylor
1975 (30-52) #8 pick Junior Bridgeman // Traded for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
1976 (40-42) #8 pick Robert Parish // Compensation for Cazzie Russell
1994 (33-49) #10 pick Eddie Jones
2005 (34-48) #10 pick Andrew Bynum
2014 (27-55) #7 pick Julius Randle
2015 (21-61) #2 pick Dangelo Russell
2016 (17-65) #2 pick Brandon Ingram
2017 (26-56) #2 pick Lonzo Ball
2018 (35-47) #10 pick Mikal Bridges // Compensation for Steve Nash
2019 (37-45) #4 pick Deandre Hunter // Traded for Anthony Davis
2022 (33-49) #8 pick (undrafted) // Compensation for Anthony Davis
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject:

And 7 times were under Jeanie Buss’ watch
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

To be fair, 4 or 5 of those years they were tanking to keep their draft picks.

That Steve Nash trade was terrible on multiple levels.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Dr. Buss Lakers missed the playoffs while having absolute PRIME Kobe on the team.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Dr. Buss Lakers missed the playoffs while having absolute PRIME Kobe on the team.

Lol, that was the year following trading Shaq and the breakup of the 3-peat team so that can be forgiven considering how quickly he rectified things the following years.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Kobe was hurt that year, wasn’t the same after one month absence
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject:

We are on the 1 title in every 12 years route from here on out. And that's IFFFFF we're lucky. We nearly broke the franchise record of only 11 seasons between titles in 2020. Sans Brawn, we would've been at 12 yrs in 20. It's apparent this franchise is absolutely incapable of doing anything BUT luring a superstar from a flyover franchise situation. And that's even aided by some who still want to come here like Brawn did. We were lucky he did.

We ain't a franchise that is ever gonna accumulate good draftees who are nurtured. The draft is a patch of potatoes that are are half good and half infected w/ potato blight. No matter how high of a pick you get, you don't know if it's gonna be a quality baking potato (Giannis), a suitable misshapen potato (Ingram), or an infected DUD! (Lonzo, yes, D'Lo, YES!!!, Kuzma YASS!)

I gotta come clean and fess up here that I gave the FO too much good will when they shooed away Jerry West. I've since come to my senses. I try to be as forgiving for peoples' foibles as I can in general, that's why. But simply on a snooty grudge from the Buss fam towards Logo, that was misguided. If we're gonna be in the effin pickless wilderness for years, we coulda used him (think V8 commercial: "Coulda hadda V8.") For us, it's "Coulda hadda Jerry.") So, to all you who were on that boat before me, I tip my hat and ask you to welcome me aboard. I'm firmly with you now.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Mmmf. OK, we missed in 2005, BUT, Kobe was out for some games there and also the roster REALLY effin sucked. But the killer was hiring Rudy Tutti and then just kicking him upstairs midseason so Phil could sit at home in Montana and watch them try to run the triangle for his benefit alone while they looked like Keystone Kops doing so. Hence they went 2-19 to finish out the season. I have no doubt that season took some time off the back end of Coach Hamblen's life.

And I will say that 2005 wasn't Kobe's greatest season. Wasn't even top 5. He was thinner and definitely not the same as the Superkobe versions of 2003 or 2006. It was just an off season like the 1999 season was. Too much crap happened for them to be expected to succeed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
We are on the 1 title in every 12 years route from here on out. And that's IFFFFF we're lucky. We nearly broke the franchise record of only 11 seasons between titles in 2020. Sans Brawn, we would've been at 12 yrs in 20. It's apparent this franchise is absolutely incapable of doing anything BUT luring a superstar from a flyover franchise situation. And that's even aided by some who still want to come here like Brawn did. We were lucky he did.

We ain't a franchise that is ever gonna accumulate good draftees who are nurtured. The draft is a patch of potatoes that are are half good and half infected w/ potato blight. No matter how high of a pick you get, you don't know if it's gonna be a quality baking potato (Giannis), a suitable misshapen potato (Ingram), or an infected DUD! (Lonzo, yes, D'Lo, YES!!!, Kuzma YASS!)

I gotta come clean and fess up here that I gave the FO too much good will when they shooed away Jerry West. I've since come to my senses. I try to be as forgiving for peoples' foibles as I can in general, that's why. But simply on a snooty grudge from the Buss fam towards Logo, that was misguided. If we're gonna be in the effin pickless wilderness for years, we coulda used him (think V8 commercial: "Coulda hadda V8.") For us, it's "Coulda hadda Jerry.") So, to all you who were on that boat before me, I tip my hat and ask you to welcome me aboard. I'm firmly with you now.

Yup. It is what it is with this FO/ownership. They won't do another 5-6 year YUTES rebuild, I think Jeanie was horrified about that and will not have the patience to build organically. The hope is though that we can strike gold with later 1st/2nds (I mean Jokic is a 2 time MVP as a 2nd round pick) and nurture 1-2 of them alongside FA/trade acquisitions.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
They won't do another 5-6 year YUTES rebuild, I think Jeanie was horrified about that and will not have the patience to build organically.

Should be mentioned that the Lakers weren’t trying to tank as a strategy in those years. They were desperately trying to sign max free agents and throwing money at anyone they thought could help eek them into the playoffs. Without a FO shakeup she’s very likely to have a lot of years like that again, even if that’s not her goal.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
They won't do another 5-6 year YUTES rebuild, I think Jeanie was horrified about that and will not have the patience to build organically.

Should be mentioned that the Lakers weren’t trying to tank as a strategy in those years. They were desperately trying to sign max free agents and throwing money at anyone they thought could help eek them into the playoffs. Without a FO shakeup she’s very likely to have a lot of years like that again, even if that’s not her goal.

Could be. Or like LBJ/Klutch, they get bailed out by some disgruntled star who wants a bigger spotlight. Sad that this has become our strategy. Ugh.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

She’s had a couple even after signing Lebron
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Could be. Or like LBJ/Klutch, they get bailed out by some disgruntled star who wants a bigger spotlight. Sad that this has become our strategy. Ugh.

It’s always possible a star jumps over. But a LOT of stars passed before LeBron signed up. And he knew he had the assets here to flip for Davis. Going to be a while before the cupboards get refilled in that way. I mean, we have LeBron and Davis and we are a lottery team (without the pick).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

It’s always possible a star jumps over. But a LOT of stars passed before LeBron signed up. And he knew he had the assets here to flip for Davis. Going to be a while before the cupboards get refilled in that way.

I'm hoping post LBJ, that AD will be a recruiting piece (so he would have to be healthy, etc.). But yeah, I don't think 2023 has much in terms of good FAs.

I think 2024 is the year the Lakers are shooting for to get 1 possibly 2 of Jaylen Brown/Booker/KAT/Murray.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Before clicking this thread, I was wondering when you would comment this and I’m like probably first reply…I was right
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Kobe was hurt that year, wasn’t the same after one month absence

That's true. He put up some big scoring games late in the season, but he wasn't the same. But there was more to it than that. Divac and Grant were supposed to provide us with size. Divac missed almost the whole year, and we now know that Grant had undiagnosed Parkinson's disease. We had the coaching change at mid-season. Odom got hurt late in the season, and everything really went collapsed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: