What if Danny Green had hit that Game 5 Finals 3?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: What if Danny Green had hit that Game 5 Finals 3?

He said he rushed it. He was wide open and it was just short. He would have clinched the Championship in the Kobe jerseys and been a hero/legend. Probably wouldn’t have been traded for DS and the pick. It would have been hard for Pelinka to ship him out if had had just waited a second longer and made the shot.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject:

I want to acknowledge, as did Lebron in the post game, that Lebron's pass was uncharacteristically bad.

It is an interesting thought though.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

What if Reggie Miller didn’t get his fast break layup blocked in the 2004 ECFs and pacers defeated Detroit? Lakers likely would have won and Shaq wouldn’t have left afterwards. Wade wouldn’t have had the clout he got and LeBron wouldn’t have gone to Miami.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject:

It is what it is. This out of all the what ifs is about the lamest of them all. Sure DG, Dwight and Rondo don’t come back even if we close out Mia in 5. Rob got greedy. Regardless of a W in 5 or 6…
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What if Danny Green had hit that Game 5 Finals 3?

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
He said he rushed it. He was wide open and it was just short. He would have clinched the Championship in the Kobe jerseys and been a hero/legend. Probably wouldn’t have been traded for DS and the pick. It would have been hard for Pelinka to ship him out if had had just waited a second longer and made the shot.

I don't see that closing out the Heat in 5 games rather than 6 would have changed anything.

Green had a poor season for us and a bad finals, and I doubt one shot changes anything.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject:

The guy still shoots 40% from three this season, which is also his 12-yr career average btw. He was like a textbook floor spreader for Lebron that had a "down year" and LG was crucifying him. Now this year, everybody was like we need shooters. LOL.

Pelinka is just like another LG user. He sees the now but doesn't see the whole picture. He's gotten very lucky with signing Howard (it was either Howard or Noah at the time). He never saw the potential in Howard. It's why he opted for Gasol instead of Howard. That's why I'm terrified to see Pelinka makes changes this season. I'm already bracing for the worst. If I had my way, Pelinka would be gone by now.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject:

LOL! Wouldn't have mattered. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I've been around the block long enough to know what would your reactions be if Rob kept the same team, and they still lost cause Solomon still dove on Jame's ankles, and AD is still injury prone AD. You guys would complain how Rob wasn't proactive in getting players who can score especially with AD out. You'd say things like Montrezl and Dennis Schroder were 6th man of the year caliber players, we had a chance to get them, and we didn't. They could have helped with AD out.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
The guy still shoots 40% from three this season, which is also his 12-yr career average btw. He was like a textbook floor spreader for Lebron that had a "down year" and LG was crucifying him. Now this year, everybody was like we need shooters. LOL.

Pelinka is just like another LG user. He sees the now but doesn't see the whole picture. He's gotten very lucky with signing Howard (it was either Howard or Noah at the time). He never saw the potential in Howard. It's why he opted for Gasol instead of Howard. That's why I'm terrified to see Pelinka makes changes this season. I'm already bracing for the worst. If I had my way, Pelinka would be gone by now.

Pelinka saw the whole picture. Green did a podcast in the bubble saying lakers fans were impacting his mental health with how he was being attacked pre bubble throughout the year. The shot being missed was not the start, it was the tipping point. The man and his wife got death threats after that for days.

Pelinka had to respect him and move him. He moved him to a place that had an immediate re-route to a contender planned. He did right by him. But he couldn’t keep him at all and that’s was lakers fans fault for how he got treated because you never know if some random ass fool would try to hurt his wife like they all claimed they would.

Pelinka got the best talent available for him and sent him to the best available situation. And he got full Lebron approval and praise when he got Dennis too.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject:

It would not have really mattered. At the end of the day we won the series, one game difference is not a big deal.

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Pelinka saw the whole picture. Green did a podcast in the bubble saying lakers fans were impacting his mental health with how he was being attacked pre bubble throughout the year. The shot being missed was not the start, it was the tipping point. The man and his wife got death threats after that for days.

Pelinka had to respect him and move him. He moved him to a place that had an immediate re-route to a contender planned. He did right by him. But he couldn’t keep him at all and that’s was lakers fans fault for how he got treated because you never know if some random ass fool would try to hurt his wife like they all claimed they would.

Pelinka got the best talent available for him and sent him to the best available situation. And he got full Lebron approval and praise when he got Dennis too.

Really is sad as hell how toxic this fan base is.

We're lucky the Lakers as a franchise is legendary & they play in Los Angeles because if they didnt, I honestly have no idea why any player would want to play for this fan base.

Social media has just given a platform for the absolute worst this fan base has to offer & its sad.

AD delivered a championship less than 9 months ago and look at the BS he had to deal with.

It's embarrassing.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

I don't think it would have affected anything. He would have made a shot he was paid to make. Fans wouldn't have hounded him the way he did when he missed it but I think the Lakers off season moves were going to happen regardless. They had a team filled with one year rentals and expiring contracts. Kuzma, Caruso, and Green had one year left on their deals coming into the summer, KCP, AB, Javele (who surprisingly opted in), Dwight, Rondo, and Markieff were all going to be entering free agency. It was obvious heading into the off season that the team was going to look different coming into this season.

lakersfever714 wrote:

I have to disagree with this whole entire paragraph. Seems way off from my perspective. For one, I don't think Pelinka was out to trade Green. But he knew that Green and Kuzma were his two best trade assets. Green was a large expiring contract, and let's be honest, everyone knew they overpaid. Even Green thanked them saying he never thought he'd make that kind of money. They overpaid him on a two year deal because he was an aging player but they liked his game. He had a down season last year shooting the ball, but he had value to the team.

Pelinka did say going into the off season that the Lakers wanted to improve but were also looking to obtain some younger players who fit into the long term plans with AD as Lebron ages. They knew they were likely to lose Rondo for a larger money offer. They knew Bradley was likely to leave and was opting out. Those were basically your top guys running point last season. Schroder was available and could be had for Green and a first round pick. That was a good move for both teams. I'm sure Pelinka had to think Green likely was a one year rental at that point and had to pounce at the opportunity. He was also facing a KCP free agency and one might think that part of those negotiations in bringing him back might point to playing time. And Green was his #1 competitor for that. KCP was coming off a very good bubble.

Pretty much the entire league thought this was a move that improved the Lakers. Including most Lakers fans... And many of those same fans now pretend otherwise.

Pelinka also didn't choose Gasol over Howard. He choose Gasol over Javale. And they signed Trez when the opportunity became available which again seemed to be accepted as a steal around the league, and it also damaged their cross-town rival who was hoping to sign and trade him elsewhere. Howard saw that and took less money than the Lakers had offered him to play in Philly. Obviously he thought he would get more playing time there probably felt he was now the third string center. The ironic thing is he wouldn't have, he would have played more in L.A., but Dwight is Dwight. After being excited to come back he then an hour later got tired of waiting for them to sign him and signed elsewhere an hour later.

That is not on Pelinka. That's on Howard. Howard made a choice on what he thought was best for him, which is his right as a free agent. Same as Rondo and Bradley made free agent decisions which they felt were in their best interests. Over the Summer Pelinka made a point of saying that the team was staying on touch with Howard and interested in bringing him back. They didn't say that about McGee. They probably realized to make those two redundant players happy they had to choose one, and they choose Dwight. Then he choose Philly.

With regards to never seeing the potential in Howard. That is silly. The whole league knew that Howard could play. Yet it was seen as a risk that the Lakers gave him a one year, non-guaranteed minimum. The guy's athleticism had declined, he was coming off anther back surgery. He was bouncing around from one new team after the next, and waring out his welcome in every single one of them. He constantly wanted the ball in the post when he was not a great post player. He pouted, was a locker room issue. That he was some diamond in the rough who Pelinka lucked into signing and never liked his game is outlandish, yet it's repeated on here daily. Just a quick recap on Howard's last few teams....

He had the one year rental in L.A. previously where he never got along with Kobe and then left them in free agency and had negative comments about the fans.

He spent three years in Houston where his game had obviously declined from his peak already, he did not get along with Harden, and the team was happy to be free of him. He then went to Atlanta who was happy to have him... For one year and then they were happy to part with him. On to Charlotte where he put up his best numbers in years... And after one year they were done with him. On to Washington where he never fit in and then got injured... They had no interest in keeping him jettisoned him to Memphis who had no interest him at all. They didn't even want to bring him into camp and cut him. Why? Because of his attitude.

Pelinka never liked Howard's game? The Lakers brought Howard in, despite how he left the previous time, despite the fact that it was his 6th team in four years all of the teams were happy to see him go. And let's not forget Pelinka was Kobe's agent and good friend, he knew as well as anybody the type of cancer that Howard could be behind the scenes. Yet it was him who threw Howard's career a life preserver. Howard proved people wrong last season. He accepted his role. Played hard, and it was great not only to see him sort of make a positive step towards the end of his career and change the way people perceived him, but to become a fan favorite. Howard took less money to leave the Lakers though, and I have to think that was his ego that made that decision. And I'd be willing to bet he leaves Philly for another team this summer. Because as much as he has made an effort these past two seasons to improve himself as a teammate, internally that ego is still there and the clock on his career is winding down.

Last edited by J.C. Smith on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

We needed a PG who could handle the ball to give LeBron rest during the season. The trade made sense then and makes sense now imo.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject:

What if that car hadn't crashed into the container carrying the weaponized zombie just outside Vegas?

What if a cat hadn't knocked a vial of COVID off a counter in the Wuhan lab?

What if Eve hadn't taken a bite out of that apple?

What if I didn't hate rhetorical questions?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I think it was more simple than that. Green didn't have a good season for us, and Pelinka saw the younger Schroeder as a long term move. I don't think the death threats and all that other stuff was the driving factor of the decision.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:12 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Really? He got the Lakers a title after 10 years which tied the hated C's haul, and he's "like another LG user"? WTF?! And the Lakers would've contended this post-season if not for the injuries.
I'd take Pelinka anyday over "another LG user".
Some fans here cannot appreciate how difficult it is to win a title in the NBA.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:07 am    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

So you're saying Pelinka moved him because of the death threats? What if the same thing was to happen to AD? Are you gonna move AD too? LMAO! Let's just move Lebron too if he's gotten death threats from Laker fans. Sounds reasonable!!

If I was a GM, I would only make the moves that puts the team in the best possible situation to win. Not what the fans want or don't want. If this is what Pelinka thinks gave the Lakers the best chance to win, then he's obviously not a very good GM.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
What if Reggie Miller didn’t get his fast break layup blocked in the 2004 ECFs and pacers defeated Detroit? Lakers likely would have won and Shaq wouldn’t have left afterwards. Wade wouldn’t have had the clout he got and LeBron wouldn’t have gone to Miami.

What if Vlade grabs the rebound instead of batting it right to Horry?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

What if Vlade grabs the rebound instead of batting it right to Horry?

What if Vlade made his free throws in game 2 against San Antonio
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:

What if Don Nelson doesn’t get a shooters bounce in game 7
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

What if Frank Selvy hits that buzzer beater in game 7
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

What if West's full-court heave counted as 3?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

So you're saying Pelinka moved him because of the death threats? What if the same thing was to happen to AD? Are you gonna move AD too? LMAO! Let's just move Lebron too if he's gotten death threats from Laker fans. Sounds reasonable!!

If I was a GM, I would only make the moves that puts the team in the best possible situation to win. Not what the fans want or don't want. If this is what Pelinka thinks gave the Lakers the best chance to win, then he's obviously not a very good GM.

In the social media age, sadly, death threats are part of being a celebrity. I am sure lots of Lakers players have received death threats from wackos over the years. It's just something they tend to not talk about because it only encourages more wackos.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject:

What if Smush doesn’t leave Nash open, Lamar rebounds over Marion, Kwame fly-by Thomas in game 6?

One stop. Bums.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject:

If Danny made that shot, we'd still trade him to OKC after the season.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
What if Smush doesn’t leave Nash open, Lamar rebounds over Marion, Kwame fly-by Thomas in game 6?

One stop. Bums.

This hurts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: