D’Angelo Russell calls Byron Scott an “idiot“ in a new interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Props to Byron for helping us get rings.

As a coach?
Props for making Nick Young throw up in practice.
For orchestrating the Tank years.
For coaching Kobe's farewell tour.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Scott as a coach was one of the worst things that happened to our franchise in terms of coaching and player development. He made Luke look like Phil Jackson.

He made a lot of coaches look like phil jackson, including some terrible ones.

Here

Byron Scott wrote:

The first thing I would tell him (Luke) is that you’ve got a bunch of good guys. And you’ve got a bunch of guys that want to do the right thing, they just don’t know how.

If there's any quote that sums up why he's an idiot as a coach then it's this.

If you have a bunch of guys who don't know how to do the right thing on a basketball team, then you've failed your job as a coach.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Props to Byron for helping us get rings.

As a coach?
Props for making Nick Young throw up in practice.
For orchestrating the Tank years.
For coaching Kobe's farewell tour.

props for telling Russell to 'save some for the game' because he's working too hard before and after games. then when Russell listens, go to the media and say you question his work ethic. That was fun...

If not for Kobe praising how hard of a worker Dlo was, as well as several teammates before or after, or that narrative would have stuck because he listened to Byron.

If I was a young player, and I was working my tail off before and after games, and my coach (An NBA Champion with rings) tells me to ease up so I can save some for the games, and I listen to him... only for him to then slander me and my work ethic in an interview BECAUSE I took his advice, I'd think he was an idiot too, among many other things I'd think about him.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Here's another gem: Here

Byron Scott wrote:
I don't believe it (3 pointers) wins championships

As a result, our offense was predicated on mid-range 2's for spacing during those times

*Shudder*

Thank goodness byron is out of the league.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

Byron Scott wrote:

As a result, our offense was predicated on mid-range 2's for spacing during those times

*Shudder*

He’s like the reverse Mike D’Antoni. Hates three pointers and thinks post-ups are the best play.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

Byron Scott wrote:

*Shudder*

He’s like the reverse Mike D’Antoni. Hates three pointers and thinks post-ups are the best play.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Byron Scott wrote:

*Shudder*

That's why D'Antoni still has a coaching job in the NBA while Byron Scott doesn't and won't likely get one again ever.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Other than an injury replacement for all star game what has dlo done?

He's got one of the worst contracts in the league.

I remember there were people on here propping up DLo as a foundational piece and trashing Booker as an "empty stats guy".

That didn't age well.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject:

I feel Byron Scott was great at job interviewing

Too much credit is given to CP3. This Suns team evolved last year, and Suns traded for CP3 when they saw how much their 'young core' developed (faster than they thought). CP3 helped them be better this year, but was nowhere near the franchise when they almost made the play-in with a perfect bubble record.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Byron Scott wrote:

*Shudder*

Again, had we never fired D'Antoni, our style of play would have been ahead of the curve instead of 2-3 years behind it because of Byron.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject:

D'Antoni has won 0 championships.

While he is a better coach than Scott by a significant margin, D'Antoni did no better with a group of average/below average players and old Kobe.

The reason he was let go was that by second season, it was clear Kobe wanted no part of him. They wanted someone who had Kobe's respect and Kobe's best interests. The Lakers were taking care of Kobe. In hindsight you look at that, and you realize how important that stuff probably is to a guy like Lebron who chose to come to LA during the final chapters of his career.

Balance wins. The Suns are the most balanced team in the West right now, after the Lakers lacked health/cohesion. They start a old school 5, and have a physical style they play. They have a wing, similar to Bean. It is not just one way you can win. It's about maximizing your strengths and limiting your weaknesses.

The issue I have with D"Antoni teams, they definitely have strengths, but they tend to have the same weaknesses that get exposed in the playoffs.

But all that said, MDA is a much better coach than Byron. There's a reason Byron is not even in the league anymore, Don't think he even wants to coach in this sort of league and style. All that negative said about Byron. realize without him, Kobe is not ready to drop 60 that last game. Byron took that entire season just to get Kobe to the finish line as Kobe's body was failing him. You got to understand what that was about, the moment Kobe retired, Byron was shown the door for Luke.

Honestly, the best coach we have had since Phil is Vogel. Indiana team was a real overachieving hard working team. The 2019-20 Lakers team was the same, IMO.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
D'Antoni has won 0 championships.

While he is a better coach than Scott by a significant margin, D'Antoni did no better with a group of average/below average players and old Kobe.

D'Antoni got us the 11th ranked offense and 27 wins with Kobe playing 6 games that season (because coming off the Achillies injury followed by the knee in Memphis).

A team where Jodie Meeks, Pau Gasol and Nick Young were our leading options because of that. Somehow coached our team to 27 wins.

With Jodie Meeks putting up 15.7 PPG
Nick Young putting up 17.4 PPG off the bench
and Pau Gasol putting up 17/10/3

Not to mention getting the most out of Kent Bazemore, Jordan Farmar and even Marshon Brooks.

Oh and Kendall Marshall came by mid season and became 2nd in the NBA in Assists Per Game while shooting a career high 40% from three in D'Antoni's system and role >_>

This was a season where Kobe played 6 games.

They then got Byron Scott whom with Kobe ran him into the ground and into another injury after Kobe started the season healthy, and managed 21 wins where we had the 24th Offense and the 27th Defense...

he then followed that up with a 17 win season where we had the 29th Offense, and the 30th Defense.

Then the very next season Luke Walton came in... with all young guys, and won 26 games.

So yeah, Byron was a problem. The reality is we never should have fired D'Antoni in the first place. Those 2 years with him set us back not just as a team but in the league and the style it was headed in. Because the entire reason we hired Luke was to try to catch up and we went "oh he was with the Warriors so he'll bring that style here." ...
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject:

Scott running Kobe into the ground was always the plan. It was about getting him touches, visibility in other markets and numbers. That’s why he was brought in.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Scott running Kobe into the ground was always the plan. It was about getting him touches, visibility in other markets and numbers. That’s why he was brought in.

The hilarious thing is Scott didn’t realize he was brought in just to appease Kobe. He legitimately thought he was going to be around for a while, which is why he was shocked when mitch canned him.

Everyone else watching knew it was only a matter of time due to how bad he was at the job. It further adds to how idiotic he was as a coach.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Drifts wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
The real idiot is Mitch Kupchak for drafting D’Angelo over Booker. Heck, we probably could have had Booker AND Myles Turner if we had traded that pick for two lower picks.

QFT

Lakers got scammed . Lakers are terrible with scouting. We could've had Booker and/or Tatum.

The Booker claim is weak....nobody had Booker high in the draft. If the Suns had the 2nd pick, they would have taken Russell over Booker. It is like saying every GM is an idiot that did not draft Jokic in 2014. I guarantee you were not screaming to draft Booker @ #2 in 2016. I was one of the guys that was higher on Booker on LG in 2016, and I was not taking him @ #2.

everyone thinks GM screwed up missing Jokic in 2014.. what are you talking about? LOL

If the Suns had top 2 maybe they take Russell, who knows.. but that would still be a mistake

everyone gets scammed with the hype from time to time, especially with players making fancy plays people think were unreal, they tend to forget about the basic of the game, and the intangibles - dedication, levelheadedness, commitment, teamplay, coachability, etc.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: