2021 Laker Draft News: Draft Day Baby!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
The kid has a 10 minute highlight package of taking 28 foot jumpers . No shake or speed, but stops on a dime with a quick release. I don’t see much to develop there. Is he better than Quinn Cook, who can’t even get minutes on our team?

Trey Murphy is taylor made for Lebron ball. Run to the corner and wait for the kick out pass.

Eh, that YT video doesn't sum up his game that well, but if that's all you see, those are also the same critcisims of Stephen Curry out of Davidson.

I'd easily take Hyland over Murphy. That's a no brainer thing. One guy can actually create shots, and even with his frame, it isn't a problem on offense.

One guy cannot create shots, even with a slightly bigger frame, but it's a problem on offense.

Where do you stand on Bones defensively? I see/read conflicting reports - some say he easily concedes driving angles and dies on screens but others say he can be disruptive and move his feet when he’s engaged. That really will determine how I feel about him as a prospect. I’m not a fan of the Crawford/Clarkson/Williams scorer/sieve type player but if he can defend at least league average then I think he’s an easy first rounder.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject:

I'd say if we pulled off drafting Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland and Neemias Queta this draft, it is a major success!

hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject:

Based on the activity from the Lakers (or as much as we know) is the anticipation that the Lakers trade there #22 but try and buy into the 2nd round?
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject:

@hydrohead, we have no clue what they'll do. Many be believe the scenario you mentioned will happen.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject:

Draft Bones Hyland in the 1st round.
Buy a 2nd round pick and pray we draft Neemias Queta before someone scoops him up.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
The kid has a 10 minute highlight package of taking 28 foot jumpers . No shake or speed, but stops on a dime with a quick release. I don’t see much to develop there. Is he better than Quinn Cook, who can’t even get minutes on our team?

Trey Murphy is taylor made for Lebron ball. Run to the corner and wait for the kick out pass.

Eh, that YT video doesn't sum up his game that well, but if that's all you see, those are also the same critcisims of Stephen Curry out of Davidson.

I'd easily take Hyland over Murphy. That's a no brainer thing. One guy can actually create shots, and even with his frame, it isn't a problem on offense.

One guy cannot create shots, even with a slightly bigger frame, but it's a problem on offense.

Where do you stand on Bones defensively? I see/read conflicting reports - some say he easily concedes driving angles and dies on screens but others say he can be disruptive and move his feet when he’s engaged. That really will determine how I feel about him as a prospect. I’m not a fan of the Crawford/Clarkson/Williams scorer/sieve type player but if he can defend at least league average then I think he’s an easy first rounder.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/p/nahshon-bones-hyland

Closer to the bottom, which helps clarify those perspectives a bit.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject:

Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland Lakers Interview

“If I get picked to come here, it’s going to be a dream come true, a blessing just to be around just greats. You have something to strive for,” Hyland continued. “It’s just like ‘wow, I’m actually in here.’ You don’t want to take it for granted.”

Really like his mentality and personality, and his shooting ability. He's very likeable.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland Lakers Interview

“If I get picked to come here, it’s going to be a dream come true, a blessing just to be around just greats. You have something to strive for,” Hyland continued. “It’s just like ‘wow, I’m actually in here.’ You don’t want to take it for granted.”

Really like his mentality and personality, and his shooting ability. He's very likeable.

Him and Kuzma would get along with his “you know” speech patterns.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject:

Jason Preston Lakers Interview

Jason Preston Scouting report

Preston is a guy that can shoot threes, rebound and assist. His last year of college he put up
PPG 15.7
REB 7.3
AST 7.3
Field Goal 51.7%
Three Pointer 39%

His weakness was considered to be his free throw shooting, but he had shown himself to be a 72-78% free throw shooter in college the two years prior to his final one where he shot a dismal 59.6%. No idea why, but it's expected, particularly as he's a good three point shooter, that his final season free throw slump was not going to be the norm.
Had he left college after his 2nd season, he likely wouldn't be falling to us in the draft. But here we are.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Preston is a guy that can shoot threes, rebound and assist. His last year of college he put up
PPG 15.7
REB 7.3
AST 7.3
Field Goal 51.7%
Three Pointer 39%

His weakness was considered to be his free throw shooting, but he had shown himself to be a 72-78% free throw shooter in college the two years prior to his final one where he shot a dismal 59.6%. No idea why, but it's expected, particularly as he's a good three point shooter, that his final season free throw slump was not going to be the norm.
Had he left college after his 2nd season, he likely wouldn't be falling to us in the draft. But here we are.

His weakness isn't free throw shooting, it's defense at the NBA level and the ability to attack a defense in the halfcourt without using typical NBA athleticism. He also needs to quicken his shot behind the arc because the NBA is such a huge jump from his competition.

Falling to us in the draft? He's a 2nd rounder to UDFA.

lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject:

If we keep the pick (hope so), and Hyland, Duarte, Murphy are available......who you got??

I think for me: 1. Duarte, 2 Hyland, 3. Murphy

Maybe try and get an early second rounder and pick up a defensive wing. If Murphy slips, scoop him up, otherwise maybe someone like Kessler
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:

PPG 15.7
REB 7.3
AST 7.3
Field Goal 51.7%
Three Pointer 39%

His weakness isn't free throw shooting, it's defense at the NBA level and the ability to attack a defense in the halfcourt without using typical NBA athleticism. He also needs to quicken his shot behind the arc because the NBA is such a huge jump from his competition.

I am talking about if he left school after last season.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:

PPG 15.7
REB 7.3
AST 7.3
Field Goal 51.7%
Three Pointer 39%

I am talking about if he left school after last season.

If he left school last season, he'd really be UDFA.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

If he left school last season, he'd really be UDFA.

Whom is your pick currently?
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

Seems like Chris Duarte is a damn near ideal fit for what we need, given who may be available at our slot?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Seems like Chris Duarte is a damn near ideal fit for what we need, given who may be available at our slot?

TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Nice. I'm starting to hope that we don't trade the pick this year, unless it's for a real difference maker that can fill our perimeter needs (looking unlikely). I get the argument about LBJ's window and young players not fitting into it, but this is where we benefit from the rest of the league's bias against older players in the draft. If you have a chance at getting a more seasoned player who can crack the rotation in Year 1, yet still has potential to improve and fit into the team's long-term plans, that's a no brainer...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Nice. I'm starting to hope that we don't trade the pick this year, unless it's for a real difference maker that can fill our perimeter needs (looking unlikely). I get the argument about LBJ's window and young players not fitting into it, but this is where we benefit from the rest of the league's bias against older players in the draft. If you have a chance at getting a more seasoned player who can crack the rotation in Year 1, yet still has potential to improve and fit into the team's long-term plans, that's a no brainer...

The BPA will likely fit in LeBron's window and beyond it anyway.

LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

Yep, the emphasis is absolutely on players who can shoot the ball, Duarte can. He's also mature and ready physically.

I'm not a draft savant. My sources are multiple mock draft mocks at this time, Insider access to sites when June/July rolls around, and Mike ( a t ) LG.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

The red flag for Duarte is he shot well for only one season against high major competition while being the oldest guy on the court every night. He's much less of a sure thing than some make him out to be.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

The red flag for Duarte is he shot well for only one season against high major competition while being the oldest guy on the court every night. He's much less of a sure thing than some make him out to be.

Well thats why he'd fall to us. Because scouts make a big deal about him coming into the league at 24 and thus feel like there isn't much of a ceiling left.

He'll be coming into the league a year younger than Kuzma is currently.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Well thats why he'd fall to us. Because scouts make a big deal about him coming into the league at 24 and thus feel like there isn't much of a ceiling left.

Is he the 22-year-old guy who shot 34% from 3 or the 23-year-old who shot 42%?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

People wonder how much of an advantage it was for him to be 23 playing against 18-21 year olds and what that's gonna look like against NBA competition.

But again, if that is what causes him to fall to us, it could be a risk worth taking unless one of the other guys like Bones, just completely has us going "Nah its THIS guy..."
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

He shot 39% from 3 in juco on approximately 4 attempts per game. Lesser competition for sure, but the 34% season seems like the outlier. He apparently tried to play through a broken finger on his shooting hand and shot 17% from 3 during that 5 game stretch during his junior year before ultimately having surgery.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject:

Would seem like we'd go for the older kid who can contribute day 3.
But to save money, I think we trade down to the 2nd round.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18
Jump to: