Scottie Pippen slams 'selfish' Michael Jordan, 'racist' Phil Jackson in Dan Patrick show interview

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Scottie Pippen slams 'selfish' Michael Jordan, 'racist' Phil Jackson in Dan Patrick show interview

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/scottie-pippen-dan-patrick-show-interview-jordan-phil-jackson/5y8h5vjqlvyd1bkzh4esdlqn9

Quote:
Scottie Pippen slams 'selfish' Michael Jordan, 'racist' Phil Jackson in 'Dan Patrick Show' interview

Scottie Pippen wasn't known for being a flamethrower on the court, but he certainly knows how to be one off of it.

In an inflammatory interview on the June 28 edition of "The Dan Patrick Show," Pippen set his sights on former teammate Michael Jordan and head coach Phil Jackson, throwing gasoline on a still-burning fire after the fallout of "The Last Dance."

Paul and Ayton share their bromance as Suns take 3-1 lead
Speaking on Jordan's decision to step away from basketball and pursue a baseball career, Pippen called the move "selfish" and said "it was kind of who Michael Jordan was":

"Yeah It was a big decision, but It was a selfish decision, but it was kind of who Michael Jordan was. That was a guy who believed he can do anything on his own"

- _at_ ScottiePippen on Michael Jordan's decision to leave the #Bulls and pursue a baseball career pic.twitter.com/PoHFAIjqgc

— Dan Patrick Show (@dpshow) June 28, 2021
"That was kind of a guy who believed he could do anything on his own," he said.

Pippen said while the duo were "excellent teammates" but they were nothing more than that, with no real mention of friendship between the two.

MORE: Charles Barkley feels 'sadness' about deteriorated friendship with Michael Jordan

In response to the 2020 docuseries "The Last Dance," which chronicled the 1997-98 Chicago Bulls series, Pippen said the footage was focused on Jordan and not the Bulls at large, with the "cameras" working squarely for Jordan and not for the bulls.

"All those cameras were working for Michael Jordan not the Chicago Bulls." - Scottie Pippen said that documentary footage was one-sided on @dpshow

— Andrew Perloff (@andrewperloff) June 28, 2021
"You know all those cameras who was sitting in that huddle, who they was working for?" Pippen asked. "You know who Michael was speaking to, right? That was planned. That was speaking to the camera. That wasn't speaking out of, what we're gonna have to do, what the play is gonna be. That was speaking to the camera.

"Had John Stockton not came down — trust me. That was building his own documentary, 'cause he knew he was controlling the cameras."

Pippen also set his sights on former Bulls head coach Phil Jackson, saying that Jackson didn't afford Pippen the last-second shot in a 1994 playoff matchup vs. the Knicks. Pippen says that Phil Jackson's motivations for giving Kukoc the opportunity at a shot and not himself were purely motivated by race.

Dan Patrick: "By saying 'racial move' then you're calling Phil Jackson a racist."

Scottie Pippen: "I don't have a problem with that."

Patrick: "Do you think Phil was?"

Pippen: "Oh yeah ..."pic.twitter.com/oKeqVEPuZc

— Sporting News (@sportingnews) June 28, 2021
Patrick prodded: "By saying a racial move, you're calling Phil a racist."

Pippen responds: "I don't have a problem with that."

Patrick: "Do you think Phil was, or is?"

Pippen: "Oh, yeah."

The former Bulls All-Star and Basketball Hall of Famer would also excoriate Jackson for his decision to write a tell-all book about his time with the Lakers and Kobe Bryant. Pippen says that, as a player, he knew Jackson more than people on the outside of the locker room, defending his controversial stance on the head coach.

Pippen had made recent headlines for comments surrounding Kevin Durant and LeBron James.

Doesn't look like his propensity to grab headlines is slowing down any time soon.

I’m just answering the questions y’all asking me. You wanted the headlines, you got them - dig deeper to find out why I actually said what I said instead of framing your questions to get clicks. It’s all love! 🖤

— Scottie Pippen (@ScottiePippen) June 28, 2021
You can view the entire interview with Pippen on "The Dan Patrick Show" below:
Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject:

TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Vercetti wrote:

This.

It's actually rather sad that Pip is still on this 5016-lebbin years later...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Guy lost his son just two months ago and his wife cheated on him with a rapper. I think he's having a breakdown tbh. He's been making all sorts of outlandish comments recently.
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Guy lost his son just two months ago and his wife cheated on him with a rapper. I think he's having a breakdown tbh. He's been making all sorts of outlandish comments recently.

I suspect that too. Add the fact that the Last Dance Documentary didn't exactly put him in a good light. I feel like he feels that everybody is against him. He may not look or sound that way in the interviews but it's just there to see.

It's sad. He needs something else in his life instead of talking about the past this way.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Oh no! I didn’t know that…

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject:

Uh, how about that Kukoc was a better outside shooter, which he was. Pippen was an excellent player, but his outside jump shot was unreliable.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Uh, how about that Kukoc was a better outside shooter, which he was. Pippen was an excellent player, but his outside jump shot was unreliable.

Clutch shots were one of the few things Pip didn't do that well. Very few things. And the proof was in the pudding when Kukoc hit it. Phil wasn't there to coddle Pip w/ a critical playoff gm on the line. And he's trying to reverse the controversy on Phil instead of himself for sitting on the bench w/ Cartwright in his lap. Scott Pippen is damn lucky he was able to get a pass from the media on that one because such a thing would've haunted most other players for their entire career. You definitely don't do that as a leader. There were players like Shaq who got dogged for not being leaders and he or they didn't do THAT.

That said, I'm sorry he lost his son and will concede that johnybravo might be onto somethin there.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I thought she cheated with Malijk Beasley?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I thought she cheated with Malijk Beasley?

Larsa has gotten around..
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Yeah, it's been a sad road for Pip of late. He needs to heal, away from the limelight.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: