Buddy Hield to the Lakers? Shams: Lakers/Kings have had talks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
My guess is that DS is plan C; he try to sign and trade him for Westbrook - I don't think we are in the position to acquire Lowry, CP3, Beal, or Lillard.

Plan A: acquire a super friends guard to play here cheaply for a short 1-2 period, sort of a Rondo 2.0. Espeically if someone like Derozan comes here for the MLE money. A Rubio or George Hill type might be the target.

Plan B: Sign and trade DS

Plan C: Re-sign Dennis and he remains the starter for now.

I want Westbrook.

Of all the available PGs, Westbrook is the absolute worst fit from both an on-court compatibility and financial standpoint.

The guy is a walking triple double. Some people are put off by his attitude on the court, but dude has that fire to him that we haven't had since Kobe.

And how has his teams fare throughout his career? What has he accomplished since not playing alongside KD and Harden anymore? Ever heard of stat padding? against bad teams? That's why I don't just look at the stats. Stats are nice but the player has to pass the eye test as well and Westbrick doesn't pass the eye test for me. Dude can't shoot to save his life.

If you want to get into a discussion about how a particular players team has fared throughout their careers, why not bring up Damian Lilliard and Bradley Beal as well?

All 3 are great players, IMO. I would not put them in the same realm of stat padding as say a Kevin Love during his time in Minnesota.

Why does it matter what other players do? We're only talking about Westbrick here. Bottom line is Westbrick hasn't accomplished much and his regular season stats are diluted due to facing a lot of inferior opponents. Put up monster stats in the playoffs then I'll be impressed. Oh wait, he doesn't even get to the playoffs that often.

The point I'm trying to make is that he hasn't exactly had the greatest quality of teammates talent-wise since the KD/Harden days. So to expect him to have won championships with as little help as he has had, I don't think it's fair to hold that against him.

Give him teammates like he'd have with the Lakers and just imagine how many assists he could rack up.

Lakers won with Danny Green so they would win with just about anyone as long as Lebron and AD are healthy. Westbrick doesn't fit what the Lakers are trying to do and that's running the offense thru Lebron with sharpshooters spreading the floor. Westbrick had good teammates in OKC with KD and Harden. That was his chance. Maybe he could go somewhere to prove himself but I'd prefer not with the Lakers.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject:

Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
My guess is that DS is plan C; he try to sign and trade him for Westbrook - I don't think we are in the position to acquire Lowry, CP3, Beal, or Lillard.

Plan A: acquire a super friends guard to play here cheaply for a short 1-2 period, sort of a Rondo 2.0. Espeically if someone like Derozan comes here for the MLE money. A Rubio or George Hill type might be the target.

I want Westbrook.

Of all the available PGs, Westbrook is the absolute worst fit from both an on-court compatibility and financial standpoint.

The guy is a walking triple double. Some people are put off by his attitude on the court, but dude has that fire to him that we haven't had since Kobe.

All the intensity in the world doesn't make up for the fact he's a bad basketball fit. He's an extremely ball dominant PG that adds little to no value off ball. He's a shaky decision maker at best, especially in crunch time. And his contract is ghastly!!

I see your point, but I think people forget just how much we struggled to score towards the end of the season.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:

Okay, but "that fire" is valuable only if he knows how to direct it. He's a knucklehead. If he had Kobe's basketball IQ, he might be in conversation for a spot in the all-time top 10. But he doesn't.
Kobe_Is_King13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

I want Westbrook.

All the intensity in the world doesn't make up for the fact he's a bad basketball fit. He's an extremely ball dominant PG that adds little to no value off ball. He's a shaky decision maker at best, especially in crunch time. And his contract is ghastly!!

I see your point, but I think people forget just how much we struggled to score towards the end of the season.

I live in Prince George's County MD, just outside of DC. I got to see Westbrook up close all year next to another all-star caliber player in Bradley Beal.

They struggled mightily until the last 2 months of the season. The just barely managed to grab the 8th playoff spot which they only truly got because the Pacers had numerous injuries.

I say that to say he struggled next to another all-star in a weaker conference. He cost them several games with bone-headed shots and ill-timed turnovers. He eventually got rolling and strung together some great games, but he isn't worth his salary. A grotesque 41 million dollars, which only gets worse by the year.

It's not just a no for Westbrook, it's a heck no. He's the absolute worst option. Even worse than just keeping Schroder.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
If WB made something more reasonable, say 25m, I'd say, ok, let's see how that goes. But he's making something like 44m and then 47m the year after. Then you need to talk about extending him, which may run in the 50m/year range. That's not something I want to really do.

Why would you have to extend him? If he comes off the books, and I believe LeBron will too, if I'm not mistaken, then suddenly you have cap space to go after another star.

He is guaranteed for next season. LBJ is guaranteed beyond that.

WB would likely want an extension of several more years, likely in the high 30m+ range. I doubt Lakers are just going to let him walk for nothing, right?

I just looked up LBJ's contract - it says he's a FA in 2023 (same as Russell).

So yes - if we have cap space for a max deal for another star player next to AD, then I could see us letting Russell just walk.

Different. LBJ's deal is fully guaranteed, not a player option.

WB's only fully guaranteed deal is next season, and I'm almost 100% sure he will look for an extension. I would expect him to hit FA in 2022, not 2023. So we could be in a position where:

1. we have to keep him b/c look at all that we gave up get him, so a likely 100m/3 year deal...ugh.

2. let him walk. Then you question why we gave all that up for a 1 year rental.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

I want Westbrook.

I live in Prince George's County MD, just outside of DC. I got to see Westbrook up close all year next to another all-star caliber player in Bradley Beal.

They struggled mightily until the last 2 months of the season. The just barely managed to grab the 8th playoff spot which they only truly got because the Pacers had numerous injuries.

I say that to say he struggled next to another all-star in a weaker conference. He cost them several games with bone-headed shots and ill-timed turnovers. He eventually got rolling and strung together some great games, but he isn't worth his salary. A grotesque 41 million dollars, which only gets worse by the year.

It's not just a no for Westbrook, it's a heck no. He's the absolute worst option. Even worse than just keeping Schroder.

Nothing would be worse than just keeping Schroeder.
Kobe_Is_King13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject:

Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Nothing would be worse than just keeping Schroeder.[/quote]

Schroder is not nearly as ball dominant, shoots better, has experience in the system and plays pesky defense. He's a better fit for what we need than Westbrook. WB would be subtraction by addition.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject:

Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Schroder is not nearly as ball dominant, shoots better, has experience in the system and plays pesky defense. He's a better fit for what we need than Westbrook. WB would be subtraction by addition.[/quote]

Shoots better and plays better D? Did you not watch the game that he got torched by Steph? Or the game where he shot 0-9 with 6 turnovers?

Yup - give the guy 100 million please.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Schroder is not nearly as ball dominant, shoots better, has experience in the system and plays pesky defense. He's a better fit for what we need than Westbrook. WB would be subtraction by addition.

Shoots better and plays better D? Did you not watch the game that he got torched by Steph? Or the game where he shot 0-9 with 6 turnovers?

Yup - give the guy 100 million please. [/quote]
his d was better than advertised. he played well for us more times than not. His covid deal was pretty irresponsible and IMO affected him not showing up in playoffs, but thanks to him we made playoffs and early on when everyone was healthy we were strong. Ideally we upgrade but if he can be had for a good price he isnt a bad option.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Yup - give the guy 100 million please.

his d was better than advertised. he played well for us more times than not. His covid deal was pretty irresponsible and IMO affected him not showing up in playoffs, but thanks to him we made playoffs and early on when everyone was healthy we were strong. Ideally we upgrade but if he can be had for a good price he isnt a bad option.[/quote]

I disagree. He has a bad attitude and is all about himself. And then he disappears at the times when we need him the most.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:

The point I'm trying to make is that he hasn't exactly had the greatest quality of teammates talent-wise since the KD/Harden days. So to expect him to have won championships with as little help as he has had, I don't think it's fair to hold that against him.

Give him teammates like he'd have with the Lakers and just imagine how many assists he could rack up.

Like Westbrook all you want, but he's had all-nba talent on his team (players better than him I might add) for every single season of his career besides the one season in OKC where he won his first MVP. He had KD/Harden/Ibaka, then KD, then PG, then Harden, and finally Beal. Hes had absolutely no post season success to show for it and almost always hes the one who shot his team out of the playoffs trying to do too much. I might add that not a single all star has enjoyed playing with him, how many of them have decided to part ways with him after a season or two?

I get people want drastic change because last season was a failure, but WB aint it.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

Like Westbrook all you want, but he's had all-nba talent on his team (players better than him I might add) for every single season of his career besides the one season in OKC where he won his first MVP. He had KD/Harden/Ibaka, then KD, then PG, then Harden, and finally Beal. Hes had absolutely no post season success to show for it and almost always hes the one who shot his team out of the playoffs trying to do too much. I might add that not a single all star has enjoyed playing with him, how many of them have decided to part ways with him after a season or two?

I get people want drastic change because last season was a failure, but WB aint it.

harden hasnt won, pg hasnt won. they were holding Russ back.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject:

44m for WB. Just think of the opportunity cost that represents. Just AD/WB/LBJ take you over the salary cap alone, and WB is likely a FA next summer if he declines his final year to get a 3 year extension.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

Okay, but "that fire" is valuable only if he knows how to direct it. He's a knucklehead. If he had Kobe's basketball IQ, he might be in conversation for a spot in the all-time top 10. But he doesn't.

QFT
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

Lol Westbrick has zero self awareness.

He ain’t a bad dude, but his lack of self awareness make him impossible to adjust on the court and do things in a winning way when it matters.

Anyone who thinks westbrick can contribute positively to a championship team doesn’t watch basketball, they probably just play fantasy league online.

Lol I won’t bother arguing with the dude who wants westbrick.
The dude thinks westbrick is good cuz he average triple double.

That is a sign of a fantasy league junkie.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:

WB was always a #1 or #2 when he failed. He's not a #1 or #2 on a championship team but as a #3 as he will be now, that's a really good #3 that can do a lot of things.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Ksig wrote:

WB was always a #1 or #2 when he failed. He's not a #1 or #2 on a championship team but as a #3 as he will be now, that's a really good #3 that can do a lot of things.

You think Westbrook is taking a 3rd backseat?
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Ksig wrote:

The point is he hasn't been good enough to win a championship as the 1st or second best player on a team. I think he's good enough win if he's the third best player on a team, and on this team he is the third best player.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
44m for WB. Just think of the opportunity cost that represents. Just AD/WB/LBJ take you over the salary cap alone, and WB is likely a FA next summer if he declines his final year to get a 3 year extension.
His salary also matches up with Steph and Dame if they ask to leave, just saying
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Ksig wrote:

Yes. LBJ, AD, and WB have already figured out the pecking order. With winning as the only thing that matters, egos will be put aside.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:

<snip>
Yes. LBJ, AD, and WB have already figured out the pecking order. With winning as the only thing that matters, egos will be put aside.

Yes, what Lebron. AD figured out is all this #1, #2 stuff is nonsense. They have roles to play that jive with their unique strengths, AD on defense, Lebron directing and attacking from the wing, each provides scoring per game plan, overall strategy and tactical situation with non-stop aggression (Lebron always did, AD when healthy). It will be interesting to see
a) what role WB settles into - seems obvious, but let's wait and see what the sub patterns are
b) how long it takes them to gel and settle. I emphasize this last part because last year it didn't seem like the team ever really gel'ed into a well-oiled machine with DS and Trezz.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
Like Westbrook all you want, but he's had all-nba talent on his team (players better than him I might add) for every single season of his career besides the one season in OKC where he won his first MVP.

How many playoff series has he lost where they should have won? They were not ready to knock off the Heat or the Warriors. Did anyone really expect them to beat the Lakers last season or to advance this year? OKC stayed competitive but after they lost Durant and Harden that wasn't a title contender.

I don't think Westbrook is a great fit. The holes in his game are gaping. But he is a fierce competitor who leaves it all on the court.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject:

Radio silence from Trezz seems odd if it's true he was blindsided, same with Kuz. These guys have no problem speaking their mind, Trezz opts in to go to Sacto, does to DC instead and we don't hear anything?

There's a difference between a fan wishing the Hield trade happened and one trying to be observant. It's just odd, unless Trezz's value tanked or he really has no issue with either team. That or Klutch is just that good.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Radio silence from Trezz seems odd if it's true he was blindsided, same with Kuz. These guys have no problem speaking their mind, Trezz opts in to go to Sacto, does to DC instead and we don't hear anything?

There's a difference between a fan wishing the Hield trade happened and one trying to be observant. It's just odd, unless Trezz's value tanked or he really has no issue with either team. That or Klutch is just that good.

Kuz has been quite awesome on social media regarding the trade. Impossible with as much gas surrounding his name since end of season he was caught by surprise.

In fact his comments prior about bigger role etc made it sound like he knew it was coming.

In regards to trezz. Most here call lakers Klutch owned. I have a hard time believing trezz wasnt fully aware, unless klutch of course isnt as ingrained as people claim.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

What’s the latest leaked rumors on buddy? Where’s IG?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: