Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Los Angeles Lakers' Russell Westbrook vows to push Anthony Davis 'every single night'

Quote:
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Following their first official practice together as teammates, Russell Westbrook dubbed Anthony Davis as "the ultimate weapon" and vowed to maximize the big man's impact for the Los Angeles Lakers this season.

"He's one of a kind," Westbrook said of Davis on Wednesday. "There's nobody like him who can do everything he's able to do at his size. And my job is to make sure I continue to push him each day, each practice, each game, so he can be at the top of his game each and every night."

About two months ago I made a thread titled AD will be at the top candidate for MVP. This is the exact reason I gave.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject:

I'm not going to put numbers down, but I expect WB to have a great all-around season and make 1st or 2nd team All-NBA.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
I'm not going to put numbers down, but I expect WB to have a great all-around season and make 1st or 2nd team All-NBA.

Agreed
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

The Lakers have a lot of talent.

So it is up to Westbrook to fill in the gaps as he can.

It seems the defensive side has the most need especially on the perimeter.
Russ doesn't have to score as much but playmake and defend.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Russell Westbrook really said he’d go back to the Wizards this season if he couldn’t go to the Lakers. The Clippers wouldn’t do it for him. He was just going to end up back here.

He was willing to chose the Wizards over the Clippers. 😂

https://twitter.com/beccamvp/status/1443359960390381568?s=21

lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject:

A lot of hype and talk so far. I hope Westbrook could back it up. I won't believe it until I see it. For now, I will refrain from mispelling Westbrook's name. Here's to number 18, second try!
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

That would be awesome. Even making the 3rd team, one of six guards, would be an accomplishment. Expected to see his name on the list for last season, just saw that he wasn't on it.

Then again, there's also an element of sacrificing personal stats for the team this coming season. If the team piles up lots of wins, I think he'll likely make one of the three teams. Even if the stats aren't as flashy.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject:

My prediction re: RW stats are 19, 10, 9. Just missing out on yet another 3x2 line but that's the self sacrifice all the Lakers must endure for team success.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
32 wrote:
Los Angeles Lakers' Russell Westbrook vows to push Anthony Davis 'every single night'

Quote:
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Following their first official practice together as teammates, Russell Westbrook dubbed Anthony Davis as "the ultimate weapon" and vowed to maximize the big man's impact for the Los Angeles Lakers this season.

"He's one of a kind," Westbrook said of Davis on Wednesday. "There's nobody like him who can do everything he's able to do at his size. And my job is to make sure I continue to push him each day, each practice, each game, so he can be at the top of his game each and every night."

About two months ago I made a thread titled AD will be at the top candidate for MVP. This is the exact reason I gave.

I'm all for WB pushing AD to get better, but they still need to balance that with rest and recovery. Just like the most important part in building muscles is recovery, the most important part to get a NBA championship is being healthy.

I want AD to improve but more than that I just want him to stay healthy. Last year he already proved he can't stay healthy all the time so we still need a load manage him. Go to work while on the floor and in practice but limit his minutes and rack up DNP's

Forget regular season MVP. Finals MVP is where it's at
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject:

Had a look at Wade's numbers in Miami, especially the playoffs. Shocked, he didn't shoot 3s at all basically. So long as put a really good shooter out there next to Westbrook in the backcourt, and the team (Especially Westbrook) plays defense, I think this will be no worse than what we had with Dennis when Dennis was at his best. Think back to how good we would be when Dennis made plays for AD, scored at the rim, etc. That's like 18-20 points, 5-7 assists. However he could not sustain it on a nightly basis. Dennis just wasn't a floor general and had no chemistry with AD. I kept harping on it last season. On paper. Westbrook will not be a superstar for us, but he should be that elite 3rd option that can get you 18-20, 6-7 assists each night with elite D. He will cause defense to adjust to his drives, opening up plays for Bron/AD.

The good thing is we have had practice based on last season on having a PG run some plays next to Bron. It is not like going from '19-20 season to now. That would have been a lot harder IMO, as the team was coming off a year where they played primarily off Bron's playmaking. Last season we already saw a lot less Lebron on the ball as a starter and moreso when he was the 2nd unit PG. This year with Westbrook and Rondo, both lineups have that floor general. This allows Bron to be more effective as a 3 point shooter (he improved this area a lot), attack the post, and active off the ball. In theory, it is like having the good version of a bigger more athletic Dennis, on a consistent basis.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject:

Crazy but I think he will be MvP this year
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject:

#RusstingBitchFace

From the GM survey:
Quote:
Which player is the fastest with the ball?
1. De’Aaron Fox, Sacramento – 59%
2. Ja Morant, Memphis – 24%
3. Russell Westbrook, L.A. Lakers – 14%
4. Ish Smith, Charlotte – 3%
> Last year: N/A

Which player is the best passer?
1. LeBron James, L.A. Lakers – 33%
Nikola Jokic, Denver – 33%
3. Chris Paul, Phoenix – 10%
4. Luka Doncic, Dallas – 7%
> Also receiving votes: LaMelo Ball, Charlotte; Facundo Campazzo, Denver; James Harden, Brooklyn; Russell Westbrook, L.A. Lakers; Trae Young, Atlanta
> Last year: LeBron James – 46%

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

First game he looked rusty as hell. 17 min, 2 pts (1-7), 7 rebs, 4 asts, 6 TO's.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
#RusstingBitchFace

From the GM survey:
Quote:
Which player is the fastest with the ball?
1. De’Aaron Fox, Sacramento – 59%
2. Ja Morant, Memphis – 24%
3. Russell Westbrook, L.A. Lakers – 14%
4. Ish Smith, Charlotte – 3%
> Last year: N/A

Which player is the best passer?
1. LeBron James, L.A. Lakers – 33%
Nikola Jokic, Denver – 33%
3. Chris Paul, Phoenix – 10%
4. Luka Doncic, Dallas – 7%
> Also receiving votes: LaMelo Ball, Charlotte; Facundo Campazzo, Denver; James Harden, Brooklyn; Russell Westbrook, L.A. Lakers; Trae Young, Atlanta
> Last year: LeBron James – 46%

LeBron and Jokic above Doncic?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Did he change his shot, or is my memory of him bad?
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Did he change his shot, or is my memory of him bad?

I think he only took two real jump shots, but from what I noticed, WB is not aggressively exploding into the air on his jumpers now. That's actually a good thing since he looks smoother with the adjustment and should be able to maintain control a bit more.

He still gets up at a good height, his posture is straight and his elbow is tucked in, so we'll have to see if that translates into more consistency. With all that said, I hope he sticks with the mid range at most and not try to throw up a bunch of threes... it's not his game.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject:

Westbrook LeBron and Davis together will be bad. I just don't see how this is going to work. Then you think about how bad our defense will be unless Davis turns into Ben Wallace.

Please I hope I'm wrong
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject:

I really like Russ, but I'm thinking right now, I would have preferred Zo over Russ. That could change throughout the course of the season, and I could content with the Russ acquisition, but right now, that's how I feel. Russ is gonna really frustrate Bron with all those turnovers. Bron has his but Russ's turnovers seem different. They come from him forcing a play that isn't there. Rather than making the easy pass, he'll pass it to the corner, with a defender standing right there. Maybe it takes time, or maybe it is a lack of IQ. He doesn't seem to let the game come to him. He plays way too fast. It's like a dog when you throw a ball.... go, go, go. This is just 1 game back, on a new team. I'm a be patient with this ball club, I see potential.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject:

What happened to Westbrook?
Seems like he was throwing passes to the other team
6 times and more.
He is out of sync with team.
And 1-7 shooting didn't help.
2 points and bricks.
Not so good defense.
Was this worth the loss of a championship defense.
Should have kept Kuz, KCP, pick and signed Rondo.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject:

Lol @ the overeactions
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
What happened to Westbrook?
Seems like he was throwing passes to the other team
6 times and more.
He is out of sync with team.
And 1-7 shooting didn't help.
2 points and bricks.
Not so good defense.
Was this worth the loss of a championship defense.
Should have kept Kuz, KCP, pick and signed Rondo.

The loss of KCP hurts. Kuz, not so much. If you look at last year to Kuz's play on the wizards in the preseason, there a lot wrong with his game. He lacks IQ, doesn't play good defense, not a stellar passer, nor rebounder, and struggles creating with the ball. He does well at creating without the ball, but he is efficient in shooting. He has length and could be a serviceable bench player, with limited minutes, but I don't think that is warranted to say "maybe we should have kept him." I'm actually good with what we gave up for Russ for his caliber of player. The problem is, the fit. We lack shooting. We got him and he plays exactly like Lebron, so that potentially becomes a log jam, unless they could make an offense to support both their abilities.

That's why I said I would have preferred we go after Zo because not only does he have great size, IQ, instincts, passing ability, young, he has been working on his shot. He now shoots well mid and behind the arc. He would counter Lebron by simply shooting. Not so much Russ, but the year has just begun, within preseason. I'm a give it time. I see potential in what we have, from what I have seen.

The defense will be fine because it is about team defense, than it is about individual defense. Kuz is a bad defender, but we were a top defense because of the team defensive scheme.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Lol @ the overeactions

Didn't you know, NBA championships are won in preseason 😂

Might as well just give up now, forfeit the regular season
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Lol @ the overeactions

Didn't you know, NBA championships are won in preseason 😂

Might as well just give up now, forfeit the regular season

0-82 and our draft pick goes to New Orleans .
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject:

Preseason. And WB seems to start the season off slowly. I’m not worried.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject:

Westbrook looked pretty terrible yesterday. But it's preseason and I prefer him being bad during preseason. That way he knows what he needs to do and make adjustments. You have to make mistakes to succeed and now is the time to make mistakes because I believe once the season starts he will be ready.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 46 of 426
Jump to: