Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 342, 343, 344 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject:

You're delusional if you think the Wizards were going to take three role players for Westbrook. Two of which aren't on the team anymore. That first round pick was part of the deal take it or leave it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
By accident I clicked on the first page of this thread. Pretty funny how so many LG posters thought the move was bad and right away pointed out the issues. Still shocking they saw stuff that Pelinka didn't. Pelinka said "We have a coach in place that will teach defense".

The first few pages on this thread clearly show how many knew this was not a good trade right from the get go.

Some of us (ME in this category) didn't wish for the trade, but sold ourselves on it and put some positive spin on it hoping the best would turn out. Never happened. Russ just has no chemistry with Lebron/Harden ball dominant guard types.

Pretty much every "trade grade" story following the Westbrook acquisition pointed out the issues. I don't think anyone missed the potential problems with floor spacing and fit. The general consensus right after the trade seemed to be: "This is an A to B deal for the Wizards, and a C deal for the Lakers that may or may not work out."

LG's reaction seemed to be the same as the rest of the world: Lots of people throwing up their hands in frustration, but a good number of people excited about the prospected of adding a superstar and/or keeping an open mind of how things might turn out.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject:

https://streamable.com/amiig8

He plays at 100% guyth!
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
I think it depends on whatโ€™s your goal next season. If no trade happens, the only slim chance for us to win it all is somehow RW embraces his new role regardless how unlikely the chance is. If the goal is to just making the playoff, I would agree to not starting RW.

That's right, but I'd go a step further. If we don't start Westbrook, we're begging for another trip to the lottery. Even aside from the locker room issues, we'd be announcing to the world that we're writing off the season.

People like Yin have gotten entrenched in the idea that we need to bench Westbrook. We have no other point guards, though, unless you count Nunn (who is one of those "shooting guard in a point guard's body" guys). Lebron would be running the team, and once he breaks down (which would be inevitable) it would get ugly really fast.

For all of this many warts, Westbrook is still the third best player on the team. If we can't trade him, then the only way we will accomplish anything this year is to find a way to make him productive. That may or may not be possible, but there really is no other viable path if we can't make a positive trade.

When you weigh the likelihood of him adjusting and thriving in a new role, I think you're better off letting him sit. THT has been groomed to be a secondary ball-handler and I think putting him alongside floor-spacers like Nunn and TB will set him up better for success. He obviously remains flawed but I think the likelihood of him growing and thriving in that role is much higher than Westbrook in the role that want him in.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

When you weigh the likelihood of him adjusting and thriving in a new role, I think you're better off letting him sit. THT has been groomed to be a secondary ball-handler and I think putting him alongside floor-spacers like Nunn and TB will set him up better for success. He obviously remains flawed but I think the likelihood of him growing and thriving in that role is much higher than Westbrook in the role that want him in.

I can't imagine the Lakers would pencil THT in for a starting spot based on what he's done in his career to date.

It's clear to me that, unless he's traded, Westbrook will be the starting PG. He'll either have to lose it, or someone will have to take it away, based on their play.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Is Westbrooks problem
Mental
Or
Physical

Is he just too egotistical to change or is his body declining fast
His results depended too much on his super athletic body but he didn't maintain it like Bron does?

If Lakers going to keep him and feature him as a starter some fans really might want to tune out

I appreciate the WhyNot and WhyNot + *CANI is what RW needs
Constant
And
Never-ending
Improvement

<<disillusioned by all of this.. **Still misses KCP/Caruso-work ethic-team players-getitdone types-dudes you can trust not to turn it over or shoot bricks when the game is on the line
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Who broke the free agency thread?
๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ– #18!!!
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject:

I was so excited.. thinking a big trade went down and crashed the servers
sogood.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Damn it, I thought LG crashed because we traded Brick.

epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:

We did. But then we trade back for him.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:

On topic comment. lol.

For a second, I thought something went down, as well, but came to the site and it was a different type of error.

I started a new free agency thread we can merge later if needed. But we might have hit max capacity on that other one.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
paymonM wrote:
have him come off the bench. if he refuses, then send him home.

So you are saying Deng him?

no, no need to stretch out his contract. Just sit him down and take away his minutes.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:08 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
https://streamable.com/amiig8

He plays at 100% guyth!

This is (bleep) pathetic. Worst player I've ever seen.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject:

I'm actually glad he got his hand checked out.
I wonder if it revealed anything.
I was actually wondering last season if he was playing hurt.
Which would explain so much hahah
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject:

There really aren't a bunch of options left with with the WB situation that I think the Lakers will end up settling for:

GOOD OUTCOME
Russ and cash + THT +1 pick for better star in Kyrie (Exp), Curry/Harris ($)
Russ and cash + THT + 1 FRP for real depth in Beas (TO), Bev (Exp) ,Bogs (Exp)

OK OUTCOME
(Assuming there is a partner wanting a salary dump)
Russ and cash + 1 FRP/SRP for decent depth Buddy (2yr), Turner (Exp)
Russ and cash + 1 FRP/SRP for questionable depth in Hayward (2 yr) and Rozier (4 year)

FALLBACK OUTCOME
Keeping Russ - either all season, or at least to deadline where an addition might make a difference in terms of a playoff push

AWFUL OUTCOME
Would be very surprised/disappointed if Lakers do cave on giving both picks or taking on real long term salary (like JR) or if a buy out ends up being the solution to this mess....

drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject:

I checked out the moment they traded for Russ. Worst move ever, Lebron. Seriously wow. Is he gone yet?
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook wasn't the only reason the Lakers did so poorly.
Yes, the trade was terrible and wouldn't you prefer Kuz, KCP,PF, and the first round pick to Westbrook right now.
Another reason bad season was AD and Lebron was injured a LOT.
And they did not play enough.
The depth provided by the trade was enough to banish the season.
The Lakers had a lot of old, old players and no depth.
No wonder.

The Lakers should just try to live with Westbrook this season. Next year the Lakers will have 47M more to spend. If get Kyrie he might not resign.

The priority should be to sign Lebron after this year.
And use that 47M to get back 2 to 3 more good role players.

The 3 stars and rest minimum wage players is not working.
Need to get some depth and other good players. Not great but good.
It takes a team to win.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

I wasn't really watching last season because I was annoyed but I feel like one of the reasons they were injured a lot was because they traded their depth and took on more responsibility on their shoulders. And that's great ... if you didn't have an older Lebron and an injury prone AD. I feel like going for 3 superstars means those superstars need to do a lot more of the work and that won't work with Lebron and AD as they are now.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
laker50 wrote:

I wasn't really watching last season because I was annoyed but I feel like one of the reasons they were injured a lot was because they traded their depth and took on more responsibility on their shoulders. And that's great ... if you didn't have an older Lebron and an injury prone AD. I feel like going for 3 superstars means those superstars need to do a lot more of the work and that won't work with Lebron and AD as they are now.

Yup. Say what you want but when LBJ or AD were out you at least had Kuz and even Trezz filling in. Last year? ๐Ÿคท
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Heard on a pod recently (donโ€™t remember which one) that Russ led the league in take fouls by a large margin, which sounds right because you can almost picture him doing it it was so frequent. It was described basically as a means for him to avoid playing transition defense.

In my mind Russ deliberately dogged it out there last year.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject:

The info on Lebron/Westbrook is contradicting. There was a Fox Sports guy (Haynes I think) who said that the big 3 had a talk before the summer league to re-commit. Mcmen says taht Lebron is done basically with WB as a teammate and knows the two need to split up, best for each other.

Which is it? One could be the Lakers sourcing that so their trade position remains a bit less desperate. The other is maybe the Lebron camp/other teams feeding info. Dave Mcmen has followed Lebron a lot through his career, and there's Indiana sources talking about Lakers offering WB.

I tend to believe that Lebron is done with WB, because if what the Lakers sources are saying is true, then no way they're shopping WB. They've practically tried to trade him to SAN, IND and BRK with no takers, unless there's 2 picks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject:

I think it's a pretty easy guess about how LBJ feels. He's in part culpable for bringing Russ in the first place, and now he's doing the LeSilentTreatment with Russ. I think that relationship is over.

The mixed messages are from competing camps.

1. Lakers hilariously trying to say "everything is fine here, no problems" to, 1) hedge against possibility that no teams want to trade for Russ and they're stuck with him; 2) to try to give an impression that the Lakers want to keep Russ and convince another team of that. I think Ham in theory, is doing the right thing, but he's gone a bit overboard with his public statements on Russ. Don't say it, earn it. Russ should have to compete for a starting gig and if he earns it, then that's that. But I knew there was a lot of Russ/Lakers issues when Rob made that telling statement on draft night that Russ would be "welcomed back with open arms." Who says that about a player who is basically returning to team on a 47m player option? Why does he have to be welcomed back if things were alright with him and the team?

2. LBJ/Klutch feeding info to their sources for sure. Wish they'd frankly cut it out and just stay out of it. But his silent treatment with Russ at the SPL (and it's on both of them) was so revealing. No way LBJ wants Russ to return and his feelings on Kyrie are apparent.

3. Russ. His agent's very surprising move was also quite damaging IMO. According to the agent, he advised Russ to stick it out on the Lakers and do what the team is asking him to do, but Russ wasn't receptive to that. Russ is hilariously trying to take a high ground by saying that he never requested a trade, all the while the Lakers are openly shopping him and can't trade him for the right deal.

So there is a lot of disingenuous parties here. It's typical Lakers drama but it's also embarrassing. What a mess we've gotten into here with this situation.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
They've practically tried to trade him to SAN, IND and BRK with no takers, unless there's 2 picks.

The moronic front office giving out FRP's in the past set a precedent, now were bled of assets - its become now a mandatory piece to any negotiation with the Lakers.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
They've practically tried to trade him to SAN, IND and BRK with no takers, unless there's 2 picks.

The moronic front office giving out FRP's in the past set a precedent, now were bled of assets - its become now a mandatory piece to any negotiation with the Lakers.

Has nothing to do with precedent. If he were any good teams would want him. But they donโ€™t. So they need an incentive. .
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Has nothing to do with precedent. If he were any good teams would want him. But they donโ€™t. So they need an incentive. .

Teams want one FRP for Russ which is still bull (bleep) because teams have taken other expirings for less. But whatever, letโ€™s say FRP is the market for taking on Russ to waive him (Laker tax). The issue is teams using past desperation and irresponsible (bleep) by the Lakers FO/Klutch to get as much as they can.

In any business, once you have a reputationโ€ฆitโ€™s difficult to change peoplesโ€™ perception of you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 342, 343, 344 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 343 of 426
Jump to: