Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 396, 397, 398 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject:

I never thought I would come across a situation where I would prefer Westbrook over Irving.....but here we are.....
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

He's never going to be a great shooter. But, if he can keep the ball moving, limit his to's, and hustle on defense, or, in short, playing the game the right way, we can make some serious noise, especially after we do a deal or two after Dec.1 5th.
srekal2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
I never thought I would come across a situation where I would prefer Westbrook over Irving.....but here we are.....

Depending on other variables, but, yes
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject:

His stats might not be much different individually, but the move to come off the bench is paying off with wins and improved team play overall.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject:

1 job- keep feeding ad
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject:

15 assists speak for themselves.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

If they have found winning combinations and play with confidence, no real need to make a trade. Let things keep rolling.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
pio2u wrote:

If they have found winning combinations and play with confidence, no real need to make a trade. Let things keep rolling.

Team can be a lot better and more balanced by moving PatBev and Nunn
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Didn't have a clean game with turnovers, but loving his chemistry with AD.
And he's making winning plays.
๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ– #18!!!
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Yeah he's basically playing the Rondo role for us, except with more explosiveness and energy as a scorer, but more turnover-prone (averaging one more turnover per 36 than Rondo in 19-20)

Definitely something this team needs, especially if AD is going to keep playing at a high level
#18 next...
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject:

We all would like to see AD continue to beast as he's doing but it would be foolhardy to rely on it being sustainable for competitiveness...we need more. And though I no longer want to trade Russ, I do want to trade Bev/Nunn for an upgrade.

Ham has to keep an eye on Russ's mentality so that when he gets turnover prone, he can be reeled in or given less minutes.

I like his role now though...less shooting, facilitating the offense while focusing on defense.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Love the Playoff Rondo comp. Russ is doing that now. The key is to know when he doesnโ€™t have it for a particular game and go with someone else. I hated him like I did with Dwight in 2012-13. But Dwight came back with a different attitude and mentality and won us over. Russ is doing the same for me. Keep it going Russ!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Yeah he's basically playing the Rondo role for us, except with more explosiveness and energy as a scorer, but more turnover-prone (averaging one more turnover per 36 than Rondo in 19-20)

Definitely something this team needs, especially if AD is going to keep playing at a high level

Good point.
He is playing that Rondo role.
More athletic, less IQ.

A bad trend though is that his 3 pt% since coming off the bench is back down to 30% and his at the rim fg% is at 55% which isn't good. One thing Rondo didn't do was take bad shots. Westbrook has been better, but hopefully the freedom he's had these days doesn't get him back to making silly plays.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Russ is one of the best passers ever, none of our other guards possesses the same ability, with him on the floor, Lebron can take longer rests. He gets everyone involved. I think we have to live with the Turnovers. He is also finishing layups much better this season
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Russ is one of the best passers ever, none of our other guards possesses the same ability, with him on the floor, Lebron can take longer rests. He gets everyone involved. I think we have to live with the Turnovers. He is also finishing layups much better this season

That's what I thought too, but his at the rim % is actually lower than last year
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:39 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

Good point.
He is playing that Rondo role.
More athletic, less IQ.

A bad trend though is that his 3 pt% since coming off the bench is back down to 30% and his at the rim fg% is at 55% which isn't good. One thing Rondo didn't do was take bad shots. Westbrook has been better, but hopefully the freedom he's had these days doesn't get him back to making silly plays.

Yeah, it feels like he's been better at the rim, but the stats seem to say otherwise. Maybe as he's taking fewer shots, his inefficiency isn't quite as noticeable as last year?

That said, regular season Rondo wasn't exactly Mr Efficient either, although Playoff Rondo is another story. I think it's manageable with Westbrook, as long as he continues to focus primarily on the playmaking side of his game, and maybe takes a few less shots (basically like he's done the past two games)
#18 next...
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:00 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

That's what I thought too, but his at the rim % is actually lower than last year

He is shooting 49% from with in 5 feet, that is good enough for me, he is also taking less shots.
https://www.nba.com/stats/player/201566/shooting
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

He is shooting 49% from with in 5 feet, that is good enough for me, he is also taking less shots.

He certainly looked MUCH worse then even last Season early this year so I think that really lowered the overall numbers as well. I'm guessing it's much better the last while versus earlier in the Season so hopefully that number slowly climbs a bit higher.

The Russ turnaround has been crazy and on top of him becoming a legitimate positive for us he now kills any desperate moves our FO might have made and we can now wait out solid offers or just simply make no move at all if he continues to work so well with AD especially.

I don't believe AD and Bron can keep up there current pace health wise or production wise at all for the entire Season and Playoffs though so we desperately still need at least a bit more depth so we can survive the few inevitable scares we'll face at points this Season. Seeing them both play this way shows they can absolutely compete still though if we get them just a bit more help along with some major health luck.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

He certainly looked MUCH worse then even last Season early this year so I think that really lowered the overall numbers as well. I'm guessing it's much better the last while versus earlier in the Season so hopefully that number slowly climbs a bit higher.

The Russ turnaround has been crazy and on top of him becoming a legitimate positive for us he now kills any desperate moves our FO might have made and we can now wait out solid offers or just simply make no move at all if he continues to work so well with AD especially.

I don't believe AD and Bron can keep up there current pace health wise or production wise at all for the entire Season and Playoffs though so we desperately still need at least a bit more depth so we can survive the few inevitable scares we'll face at points this Season. Seeing them both play this way shows they can absolutely compete still though if we get them just a bit more help along with some major health luck.

Playoff is only a short stretch, if lebron and Ad can be ready for that, I donโ€™t think many teams want to play the lakers as a lower seed. Theyโ€™ve been the hottest team in the NBA for the last 10 games. There is hope for this team now because of how dominant AD is, and Russ was a key reason as he was feeding the ball to Ad. Russ is by no means a perfect player, but this current Russ is helping the lakers a lot.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
hype wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Playoff is only a short stretch, if lebron and Ad can be ready for that, I donโ€™t think many teams want to play the lakers as a lower seed. Theyโ€™ve been the hottest team in the NBA for the last 10 games. There is hope for this team now because of how dominant AD is, and Russ was a key reason as he was feeding the ball to Ad. Russ is by no means a perfect player, but this current Russ is helping the lakers a lot.

I mostly agree But... While the Playoffs might be a short stretch, the journey to get there is very long.. The biggest issue is from now until the Playoffs to continue to look like they currently do which has been a huge problem every year outside of when they got the extended rest before starting there bubble run. I do agree Russ is absolutely a huge reason for the recent run though and like others have talked about, i'd probably prefer a couple smaller moves if possible versus doing some of the mediocre at best offers that have been rumored this Season. I was extremely tough on Russ but i'm happily cheering for the version we've seen during this run and even a bit before tbf.

Counting on AD, Bron and Russ to all stay fully healthy and playing great every game is a bit rough though especially with AD playing THIS good. If AD has this kind of fire in him consistently again we def. need to go all in to get him the help because we can compete with anyone as he's the key to opening any legitimate chances we have.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject:

imagine if he led the league in assists from the bench

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject:

He has really changed his mindset.

Last year, he was looking for his own shot way too often, or monopolizing possessions.

This year, seems to be better shot selection, quicker decisions.

Even though it doesn't seem like it, his 3% is around the same as last year. (Last year 29.8%, this year, 30.6%). But he's making less "loud" 3 point shooting mistakes and being more judicious.

The only thing to watch for is that in 6 less minutes per game, he is still at 3.5 turnovers per game compared to 3.8 last game. If we get to the playoffs, he will have to be much more careful on that end.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:

I can, Russ-AD lobs been looking real good too
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:

I think this would be a good thing for the team, so I hope he does.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
He has really changed his mindset.

Last year, he was looking for his own shot way too often, or monopolizing possessions.

This year, seems to be better shot selection, quicker decisions.

Even though it doesn't seem like it, his 3% is around the same as last year. (Last year 29.8%, this year, 30.6%). But he's making less "loud" 3 point shooting mistakes and being more judicious.

The only thing to watch for is that in 6 less minutes per game, he is still at 3.5 turnovers per game compared to 3.8 last game. If we get to the playoffs, he will have to be much more careful on that end.

I am pleasantly surprised to see how he turned things around. Props to him.

$47M is still too much, though
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 396, 397, 398 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 397 of 426
Jump to: