Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 308, 309, 310 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject:

come off the bench or sit and home. Either way, its a benefit to the Lakers.

Im all for keeping all picks, so if that means he stays on the team, then so be it.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject:

27 wrote:

Im all for keeping all picks, so if that means he stays on the team, then so be it.

just send him home
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I like to play poker and sometimes you have to know when to fold your hand and leave the table while you still have some money left, even if you are way down.

The trade was a disaster, but to compound it now by making another bad trade involving this joker isn't the answer.

I think we just need to bite the bullet and let him play out his contract while maintaining whatever draft assets we have left.

It would also be nice if Anthony Davis would step up and show more desire to be on the floor next season, the guy sits out games with ailments that a lot of other guys would play with.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Let him sit at home.

What is next? bringing in Scott Brooks
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject:

That's wild.
I'd take Westbrook over any of the PGs we had last year.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Even if you attach picks, trading RW will not net us a healthy star player. Our standing relies more on AD and LBJ's health more than RW trade. So, don't do stupid trades. Keeping RW is always an option.

Its not about netting a star player, its about netting competent role players to put around Lebron and AD which is proven to be a winning formula when healthy.

We saw this year what a Lebron, AD, and Russ team looks like even when healthy, at best we were a .500 team.

So you think RW can get us multiple competent role players?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
The answer to the WB question is actually pretty clear, someone just has to have the guts to tell WB he can:

A) Opt out
B) Sit out
C) Accept that he will never start on the Lakers again and do what he can off the bench like a professional

Stolen from the FA thread -

JUST-MING wrote:

2022 Free Agents

23 year old 6'6" G Jarrett Culver (#110 rank SG)
28 year old 6'4" G Gary Harris (#49 rank SG)
29 year old 6'3" G Dennis Schroder (#37 rank PG)
30 year old 6'5" G Delon Wright (#59 rank PG)
35 year old 6'4" G Wesley Matthews (#83 rank SG)

23 year old 6'6" F Troy Brown Jr (#73 rank SF)
25 year old 6'8" F Josh Jackson (#71 rank SF)
25 year old 6'5" F Derrick Jones Jr (#69 rank PF)
34 year old 6'8" F Thaddeus Young (#55 rank PF)

24 year old 7'0" C Isaiah Hartenstein (#34 rank C)
24 year old 7'0" C Mitchell Robinson (#21 rank C)
28 year old 6'11" C Jusuf Nurkic (#12 rank C)
29 year old 6'10" C Andre Drummond (#25 rank C)
34 year old 7'0" C Robin Lopez (#69 rank C)
34 year old 7'0" C Javale Mcgee (#36 rank C)

My hope is Klutch convinces Jusuf Nurkic to take a paycut.

Minimum/(Howard if retained)/Minimum
Davis/Melo/Johnson
LBJ/BAE pickup
THT/(Monk if retained)/Minimum/Reaves
Nunn/(WB if retained)/Minimum/Spare Minimum depending on WB

Could make a little noise in playoffs if healthy....

TMLE -> Kyle Anderson

McGee - Min (starting role promise doubt he takes it but worth a shot)
Wright - Min
Jones - Min

McGee, Jones
AD, Anderson
LeBron, Reaves
Wright, THT
Westbrook, Nunn

That's without a Russ trade. I'd go for Knicks or Indy package but dream deal:

INDY - Hayward, THT, Pick(s)
CHAR - Russ, Pick(s)
LAL - Brogdon, Hield, Oubre
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
hype wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
paymonM wrote:
there is no Westbrook trade that benefits the lakers. Just bring him back next year, have him come off the bench and trade his expiring contract mid-next year. It's one bad season vs. potentially giving up a first round pick that could haunt the franchise for years. And no, this Laker FO will not make that super trade that will turn the team into a contender next year.

You want to bring back a guy who acted like a douche at the exit interview, taking shots at his teammates, the guy literally made the Lakers media members cringe when he talked about his style of play, this isn’t just about him playing bad, or the assumption that Vogel wasn’t using him right, he criticized the fans when he made embarrassing plays when they rightfully booed him, I want him out of here.

Yeah, pretty sure I also read several times throughout the Season that he did not want to come off the bench when asked ala Melo before he accepted he wasn't a Superstar anymore and by how Russ was still acting at Seasons end I have a feeling that's not changing too soon. He's toxic asf especially now that he doesn't have that same insane athletic ability that helped cover many of his shortcomings. There is literally nothing whatsoever I could see about him and have even the smallest glimmer of hope he'd be good next season whether I look on the court or how he talked to the media, it was just all pure trash.

I will say the only thing i'm against is adding picks to the trade if it's a clear lateral move like the Wall trade. I'd rather just hold on to him and hope a team realizes it's not there year early on and trade for him for the cap space. If he's being his toxic self give him that Wall bench treatment and tell him to start ringing GM's around the league to trade for him if he wants to play otherwise he'll at least give us some breathing room in the cap at the end of the Season. At this point i'd honestly much rather see Austin, Monk, THT and Nunn absorbing every single one of his minutes.

I’m at a point that i would trade this guy off even if we have to add a pick, how do you expect to bring back a guy who singlehandedly tried sabotaging games? Not once or twice or 3 times but more then a dozen games he played like he didn’t care, I think the moment when he realized that he didn’t want to be here is when Phil Handy was trying to teach him how to play the right way because he’s a douche like that.

and you think teams would trade for Westbrook if a pick was not part of the deal ?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Who has the credentials to tell Russ he going to the bench?

Quote:
When the Lakers’ late owner, Dr. Jerry Buss, insisted on adding Payton in the summer of 2003, that meant Jackson had to convince Derek Fisher to come off the bench. And considering those Lakers had won titles in three of the previous four seasons with Fisher starting, this wasn’t a welcome situation for Jackson to have to handle. Yet though they didn’t win it all, the Lakers did manage to return to the finals that season (where they lost to Detroit). The comparison, it seems, was made to make the point that the coach (and his staff) should somehow find a way to find the Westbrook solution. Again, the strong signs continue that the Lakers are preparing for the possibility of Westbrook remaining. – via Sam Amick @ The Athletic

These aren't exactly apples to apples comparison.

At that point, Derek was a 28-year-old journeyman who had only been a starter for one reason. Payton was coming off an all-star season where he put up 20-3-7 for the Bucks. I doubt Fisher needed to be "convinced" he was going to be replaced by Payton; it was obvious.

The Westbrook situation is messier. He'd be replaced not for someone better, but because of his inadequacies. It's going to take some good player management skills to keep this from getting stormy, if that's even possible.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
hype wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
paymonM wrote:
there is no Westbrook trade that benefits the lakers. Just bring him back next year, have him come off the bench and trade his expiring contract mid-next year. It's one bad season vs. potentially giving up a first round pick that could haunt the franchise for years. And no, this Laker FO will not make that super trade that will turn the team into a contender next year.

You want to bring back a guy who acted like a douche at the exit interview, taking shots at his teammates, the guy literally made the Lakers media members cringe when he talked about his style of play, this isn’t just about him playing bad, or the assumption that Vogel wasn’t using him right, he criticized the fans when he made embarrassing plays when they rightfully booed him, I want him out of here.

Yeah, pretty sure I also read several times throughout the Season that he did not want to come off the bench when asked ala Melo before he accepted he wasn't a Superstar anymore and by how Russ was still acting at Seasons end I have a feeling that's not changing too soon. He's toxic asf especially now that he doesn't have that same insane athletic ability that helped cover many of his shortcomings. There is literally nothing whatsoever I could see about him and have even the smallest glimmer of hope he'd be good next season whether I look on the court or how he talked to the media, it was just all pure trash.

I will say the only thing i'm against is adding picks to the trade if it's a clear lateral move like the Wall trade. I'd rather just hold on to him and hope a team realizes it's not there year early on and trade for him for the cap space. If he's being his toxic self give him that Wall bench treatment and tell him to start ringing GM's around the league to trade for him if he wants to play otherwise he'll at least give us some breathing room in the cap at the end of the Season. At this point i'd honestly much rather see Austin, Monk, THT and Nunn absorbing every single one of his minutes.

I’m at a point that i would trade this guy off even if we have to add a pick, how do you expect to bring back a guy who singlehandedly tried sabotaging games? Not once or twice or 3 times but more then a dozen games he played like he didn’t care, I think the moment when he realized that he didn’t want to be here is when Phil Handy was trying to teach him how to play the right way because he’s a douche like that.

and you think teams would trade for Westbrook if a pick was not part of the deal ?

He has a large 47M expiring that in itself is very valuable and the fact that their is always a chance another team gets the best out of Westbrook while he’s still able to put up stats.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Ksig wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Even if you attach picks, trading RW will not net us a healthy star player. Our standing relies more on AD and LBJ's health more than RW trade. So, don't do stupid trades. Keeping RW is always an option.

Its not about netting a star player, its about netting competent role players to put around Lebron and AD which is proven to be a winning formula when healthy.

We saw this year what a Lebron, AD, and Russ team looks like even when healthy, at best we were a .500 team.

Yes, role players who are on longer contracts from teams who want to dump them because they're middling teams going no where.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Ksig wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Yes, role players who are on longer contracts from teams who want to dump them because they're middling teams going no where.

I have trouble believing that there's a middling team out there who'd be willing to package up a bunch of decent role players, who we'd want, for Westbrook. I guess it's possible, but I'll believe it when I see it
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Ksig wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

The players that we are rumored to possibly get are players like Hayward/Rozier and Hield/Brogdon those guys aren’t considered role players.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject:

If they seriously run it back with Westbrook it's going to be kill their credibility. You bring in Lebron James and then you waste the latter years of his career with two years of a terrible fit? Why would other stars take a chance to come here and assume you would be doing what you could to field a winner?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject:

Westbrook + FRP for Kyrie + salary dump, c'mon Rob

Quote:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kyrie-irving-won-more-championships-010520275.html

Kyrie Irving — who has a decision to make next month on whether to opt-in to the final year of his Brooklyn contract — sat down for the latest “I Am Athlete” episode. He lifted the lid on a host of topics, including saying the Cavaliers would’ve stayed together longer and won more if he’d been more mature. “If I was in the same maturity line and understanding of who I am, and I look back, we definitely, definitely would’ve won more championships, because there would’ve been a better man-to-man understanding about what I’m going through. I didn’t know how to share my emotions,” Irving said. “I didn’t know how to do that. So instead of sharing, I isolated myself.”
Source: Brian Lewis @ New York Post
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject:

Kyrie is a big problem too, but at least the on court chemistry with Lebron/AD will be good. It's natural, as Kyrie is good as a secondary attacker and shoots the 3 well. He's not a ball dominant PG that lives in the paint. He can allow Lebron/AD to live in the paint and play outside. It's like having an all-star version of Monk.

But the issue is the other stuff with Kyrie. For Westbrook? I'd take the chance for sure, but I can't see why the Nets GM would think Westbrook/Simmons could stand a chance in the playoffs. 2 non-shooters? 2 guys that need the ball and can't shoot? Nah.

Our best case would be Westbrook to a 3rd team (maybe Hayward), and then we sweeten the deal for the Nets with a pick and Reaves. So maybe they would do it for Hayward, 2027 FRP, and Reaves. Hornets cut/John Wall Westbrook, open up space both this year and next for themselves to build a 3 point shooting heavy team with pace/space around LaMelo Ball (Since it seems MDA is going there).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Ksig wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

So we are expecting Jeanie to pay the repeater luxury tax? I have been hard on her management but I wouldn’t blame her for wanting to avoid that with this team.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
If they seriously run it back with Westbrook it's going to be kill their credibility. You bring in Lebron James and then you waste the latter years of his career with two years of a terrible fit? Why would other stars take a chance to come here and assume you would be doing what you could to field a winner?

Maybe, but this assumes that we have options that qualify as "fielding a winner." In about six weeks, we'll know whether we really have any such options. Right now, everything being kicked around in the media and in this forum is just spit balling and speculation.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

Lakers have passed the point of being concerned about “wasting the latter part of James’ career”. That was a great argument a couple years ago, they even won a Championship with the all-in approach and mantra.

Now they have entered the downside of the plan. The accept the underachieving results for the media attention of his lifetime achievements and Retirement Tour phase of the plan both sides agreed upon.

Westbrook is just the residual waste left over from a bad decision. I doubt there is any deal that will make sense. So Lakers are stuck with this Big 3 for another season.

Already seems to be reports of any HC needing to have a plan on how to use Westbrook effectively. They will find a few replacements for the bench. They will hype Davis and Nunn being healthy. And the narrative will focus on James’ offense and ignore his lack of effort on defense.

IMO all the signs as of today is another year of last years fiasco. But by the beginning of the season we will be sold on how yummy that sh** sandwich tastes. Can’t wait.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
paymonM wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
hype wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
paymonM wrote:

He has a large 47M expiring that in itself is very valuable and the fact that their is always a chance another team gets the best out of Westbrook while he’s still able to put up stats.

What team is out there that could use that 47M in expiring to avoid the repeater tax?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

What team is out there that could use that 47M in expiring to avoid the repeater tax?

I'm not sure that the expiring contract has any value at all. We'll find out. There may be teams that want to cut payroll, but I'm not sure that any of them want to cut $47M in payroll. The greater chance is that some GM wants Westbrook or that some GM wants to jettison contracts that we will take. However, you made a good point about the repeater tax issue. I couldn't blame Jeanie for refusing to pay Lacob-level luxury tax.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I like to play poker and sometimes you have to know when to fold your hand and leave the table while you still have some money left, even if you are way down.

The trade was a disaster, but to compound it now by making another bad trade involving this joker isn't the answer.

I think we just need to bite the bullet and let him play out his contract while maintaining whatever draft assets we have left.

It would also be nice if Anthony Davis would step up and show more desire to be on the floor next season, the guy sits out games with ailments that a lot of other guys would play with.

As my Granny used to say you don't go throwing good money after bad. It was a bad move to include a FRP in that trade to acquire WB. It would be GM malpractice to deal additional FRPs in order to dump him esp with only one year left on his contract.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject:

27 wrote:

We need to waive him to free up a roster spot in order to sign 2-way players in search of the next Caruso. One way we could dig ourselves out of this hole is to find more diamonds in the rough like Caruso. Nobody is going to help us thru trading.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
27 wrote:

We need to waive him to free up a roster spot in order to sign 2-way players in search of the next Caruso. One way we could dig ourselves out of this hole is to find more diamonds in the rough like Caruso. Nobody is going to help us thru trading.

Not happening
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
paymonM wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
hype wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
paymonM wrote:

Looking at all possible teams several times, there really just isn't a logical trade partner considering who WB is and how much he is owed. This year's playoff teams are all are a hard NO even with this FRP since that pick is so far off (2027) with the exception of maybe CHA. That leaves only about 8-10 teams that even MIGHT want a $47m change of roster and that doesn't necessarily mean they are looking at WB as a solution given how he plays.

So, again after really looking teams that MIGHT have a desire to trade with the Lakers, there's only 3 teams that MIGHT do that without too much compensation (maybe 0-1-2 SRPs and cash) are:

HOU in a WB/Wall swap but they would only be casually interested without a FRP and still results in a roster problem for both teams
NYK if the Lakers will take on a HUGE amount of future salary for the likes of Jules, Fournier, Kemba
CHA assuming they want out of Heyward/Rozier/etc. which we don't really know if that is a thing or not (seems somewhat plausible if CHA is looking at 23/24 FA and worried about maxing out Melo, but who knows).

So barring some miracle team stepping up, the Lakers already have a 47m expiring to avoid the repeater tax and would be wise to value that highly. Giving up yet more future FRPs and/or taking on future salary on misfit players just to "do something" would be doubling down on an already bad mistake. In retrospect, the Lakers most definitely could have still put up 33 wins in 21-22 by simply doing nothing last summer. Maybe that should be a lesson for this summer?

As I said earlier, tell WB to come off the bench and support Nunn as starter or else just sit out the year or else opt out if he doesn't like those 2 options. Time to put the big boy/girl pants on with this situation.....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 308, 309, 310 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 309 of 426
Jump to: